Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Speaking of interesting looking pedals...

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'd be interested in trying one; I'm not so sure that what I hear in the video-clips is something that I'd like in my personal sound- there it sounds a bit too 'velcro-y', 'zipper-y', 'Geiger counter-ish', and even almost 8-Bit vintage gaming-console like for my tastes- but it may have more to offer that one would have to experience with their own guitar, amp, other pedals, and especially, their own fingers. I might find that I like it more that I gather based on the videos!

Not that it's a bad sound, not at all- just not necessarily a route to my sound. :cool:

lightbulb.gifSkip- and Dannyalcatraz- I really think that you should try out a LastGasp Art Laboratories Octavella if ever you get the opportunity; if you like unusual, even twisted timbrel character in your fuzz, this might appeal. I have one. It sounds like the smell of burning steel and it will NOT 'clean-up' with adjustments of ones guitar volume-knob and/or 'touch' and indelibly imbues its skreeky, grinding, disturbed wrongness deep within the core of any other overdrive, distortion or fuzz pedals or overdriven/distorted tube-amps that you might stack it into, no matter how sweet and warm and smooth they may be. Not an on-all-the-time fuzz for me, but sometimes just the industrial sandblaster for the job at hand!

____________________ otunmknlz1buggdk41re.jpg

_____ [video:youtube]

_____

_______________________ [video:youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YsYEp97fPV8

_____

Ask yourself- What Would Ren and Stimpy Do?

~ Caevan James-Michael Miller-O'Shite ~

_ ___ _ Leprechaun, Esquire _ ___ _

I'm pretty sure the videos did not do it justice, especially the local version, sorry.

Crap sound, followed by a lot of talk. Welcome to Japan.

:wave: Oh, I'm not saying that I think it sounds bad- it sounds pretty good, and definitely has its own character that's a bit unique (its design and the way it works is DEFINITELY VERY unique!). And I've checked out other video demos of it. (And, please, no apologies on your behalf OR Japan's, I insist, or you and I will fight. ;):D:crazy: YEAH, RIGHT!! :laugh: ) It's just a type of fuzz and distortion that I don't particularly care for, especially for my OWN tones.

The Octavella isn't what I'd usually use, either- but it's another fun, unusual, twisted option amongst an ocean of fuzzezzezz.

I know LastGasps stuff! I REALLY want one of their Sandstorm pedals. Maybe an 87 & Gomorrah, too.

[video:youtube]

Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: âNinety percent of everything is crapâ

My FLMS- Murphy's Music in Irving, Tx

http://murphysmusictx.com/

I'm pretty sure the videos did not do it justice, especially the local version, sorry.

Crap sound, followed by a lot of talk. Welcome to Japan.

:wave: Oh, I'm not saying that I think it sounds bad- it sounds pretty good, and definitely has its own character that's a bit unique (its design and the way it works is DEFINITELY VERY unique!). And I've checked out other video demos of it. (And, please, no apologies on your behalf OR Japan's, I insist, or you and I will fight. ;):D:crazy: YEAH, RIGHT!! :laugh: ) It's just a type of fuzz and distortion that I don't particularly care for, especially for my OWN tones.

The Octavella isn't what I'd usually use, either- but it's another fun, unusual, twisted option amongst an ocean of fuzzezzezz.

Kool-I can bring enough implements of destruction for both of us. And most of our friends :laugh:

Actually, I`m not much of a fuzz guy. The smooth distortion sound is what jumped out for me.

Same old surprises, brand new cliches-

Skipsounds on Soundclick:

www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandid=602491

Dannyalcatraz- Those make my Octavella seem like a nice, warm, gentle old vintage Fuzz Face by comparison! :crazy::laugh:

Kool-I can bring enough implements of destruction for both of us. And most of our friends :laugh:

Actually, I`m not much of a fuzz guy. The smooth distortion sound is what jumped out for me.

I most often use octave-fuzzes and fuzzes to feed into overdriven/distorted tube-amps and/or overdrive and distortion pedals, for a smooth, warm, singing tone. The combination fattens and smooths and warms the fuzz.

The Octavella refuses to play nicey-nice, though, imparting its own sinister skreekiness into whatever it's stacked up with. :crazy::D:freak::love:

You might also like the Wampler Velvet Fuzz, which was designed to emulate the combination of classic vintage fuzz being fed into a cranked classic vintage tube-amp.

Note Eric Johnson's use of a Fuzz Face into a Marshall for some very smooth, warm tones...

LastGasp pedals are kind of like the devil-children you see in Western supernatural horror movies. They SEEM like such nice kids, right until they go all 666 on ya.

Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: âNinety percent of everything is crapâ

Dannyalcatraz- Those make my Octavella seem like a nice, warm, gentle old vintage Fuzz Face by comparison! :crazy::laugh:

I most often use octave-fuzzes and fuzzes to feed into overdriven/distorted tube-amps and/or overdrive and distortion pedals, for a smooth, warm, singing tone. The combination fattens and smooths and warms the fuzz.

The Octavella refuses to play nicey-nice, though, imparting its own sinister skreekiness into whatever it's stacked up with. :crazy::D:freak::love:

You might also like the Wampler Velvet Fuzz, which was designed to emulate the combination of classic vintage fuzz being fed into a cranked classic vintage tube-amp.

Note Eric Johnson's use of a Fuzz Face into a Marshall for some very smooth, warm tones...

Well that`s just it-making those work is about taming the harshness. Otherwise...

Well that`s just it-making those work is about taming the harshness. Otherwise...

Yeah, sometimes I want that fizzy rough fuzz, too... :rawk::D

One of my weapons of choice for that is the SolidGold FX Sasori:

One of my weapons of choice for that is the SolidGold FX Sasori...

Niiiiiiiiiiiiiice. :cool:

Don't hate me because I'm beautiful; I used to have, when I was young and ignorant, an original germanium-transistor JAX-branded Shin-ei FY-2 "Fuzz Master Unit"/"Fuzz Box" ('Companion Fuzz'). It was one helluva rude abrasive sick pumping breathing fuzz to say the least, and I wish I still had it 'cause I'd know MUCH better what to do with it now and I have no idea what even ever became of it so very long ago and a fair bit away...

____________ It looked a lot like this one:

________ cmgsf2a1xjneh5ifhcjy.jpg

____ tumblr_l3evyjOKOG1qzse0lo1_1280.jpg

______ Don't hate me because I'm beautiful... ...when I was young and ignorant...

______

Okay-I`ll only hate you because you can do closeups... :laugh:

Sure, if you`re going for that sound, the authenticer the better.

It`s just not part of my palette these days. Of course that could change in the future.