Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

No More Pubs Gigs

Now join a good tribute, put some work into quality sound and parts, and get paid!! :) (oh, and it doesn't suck that you're home by 11:30!)

This. Earlier evenings, real money that finances other GAS purchases.

Ween ween!

Plus:

- Only play one extended set, and done. same thrill, no grind.

- Play venues with real stages and real sound systems. Often with separate sound engineers for FOH and stage monitoring. (hint - you can often leave your PPAs/Amp at home)

- Play it like a rock show, instead of organ grinding entertainment monkeys trying to get the attention of bar flies wdgaf about your band

- Crowd is there literally to hear the songs you're playing, and pretend its a rock show. win-win: they are into it (so, actually - a better thrill).

the majority of the long-time rock musicians in San Diego all converted to tributes at least as part of their repertoire. We're actually sort of saturated with them. I first hated the idea of tributes, hated with a burning rage. Then I tried it, got to play bigger places, better sound systems and crews, bigger more appreciative crowds, etc etc.

As a hobbyist - its the perfect beak-wetter for me. I don't think i'll ever do a 5-set grinder cover band again.

The baiting I do is purely for entertainment value. Please feel free to ignore it.

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Now join a good tribute, put some work into quality sound and parts, and get paid!! :) (oh, and it doesn't suck that you're home by 11:30!)

This. Earlier evenings, real money that finances other GAS purchases.

Ween ween!

Plus:

- Only play one extended set, and done. same thrill, no grind.

- Play venues with real stages and real sound systems. Often with separate sound engineers for FOH and stage monitoring. (hint - you can often leave your PPAs/Amp at home)

- Play it like a rock show, instead of organ grinding entertainment monkeys trying to get the attention of bar flies wdgaf about your band

- Crowd is there literally to hear the songs you're playing, and pretend its a rock show. win-win: they are into it (so, actually - a better thrill).

the majority of the long-time rock musicians in San Diego all converted to tributes at least as part of their repertoire. We're actually sort of saturated with them. I first hated the idea of tributes, hated with a burning rage. Then I tried it, got to play bigger places, better sound systems and crews, bigger more appreciative crowds, etc etc.

As a hobbyist - its the perfect beak-wetter for me. I don't think i'll ever do a 5-set grinder cover band again.

:like: to all of this!

We sold our PA because we weren't using it anymore! (exchanged it for a sound company requirement in our contracts). I've turned the day those heavy-ass subwoofers went, into my own national holiday!! :laugh::laugh:

I have a "pub" gig on Friday - its a better-than-worst bar in town but its firmly in the "pub" category. They have decent FOH and stage, staff is always nice, and an always appreciative crowd.

I had played some pretty big shows and started to devalue these bar gigs, but my last several i've sort of reoriented my perspective. If i see more than 20 people having a great time and digging the set, i'll be having fun. 5 random strangers come up afterwards and thank us and say we rocked it - and i'm good. thats enough for me. And lets not forget that cold hard $50 cash.

The baiting I do is purely for entertainment value. Please feel free to ignore it.

I work and live in Key West Florida. Most of the gigs are bar gigs. But, I work six nights a week, usually at $150-$200. And, the added bonus is that many, but not all start at 8 PM and end at midnight. Most have a dedicated PA and monitors. Almost always with a digital board controlled by iPad. The bigger clubs like the green parrot have a dedicated sound man. Of course, people get drunk and high, but they are on vacation and they are generally in their happy place! We play a lot of so-called jam band music, Pink Floyd, Talking Heads, grateful dead. We also play a good dose of original music which goes over particularly well. I have never been as happy playing bars. Thing is that here, a musician can make a working wage reliably, and you actually do not have to play one single Jimmy Buffett song if you dont want to. By the way, brown eyed girl cost a hundred dollars

Hammond C3, Leslie 122, Steinway B, Wurlitzer 200A, Rhodes 73,

D6 Clav

Thing is that here, a musician can make a working wage reliably,

While that was generally true 30 - 40 years ago across the US, I'd say it's a pretty rarified space today. Good for you!

Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.

-Mark Twain

Thing is that here, a musician can make a working wage reliably,

While that was generally true 30 - 40 years ago across the US, I'd say it's a pretty rarified space today. Good for you!

I know musicians around here who do it, but usually with supplemental music-related income. Usually something like this:

1) Project 1: Tribute Band

2) Project 2: Cover Band

3) Project 3: Solo/Duo band

4) Teach Lessons

5) Work part time at a music store

6) Work as a booking agent for other bands

Between all that, they end up working full time and making some decent money....in some cases approaching 6 figures if any of those projects are among the more successful in town. But that's only true of the top earners.

Dan

Acoustic/Electric stringed instruments ranging from 4 to 230 strings, hammered, picked, fingered, slapped, and plucked. Analog and Digital Electronic instruments, reeds, and throat/mouth.

I work and live in Key West Florida. ... Thing is that here, a musician can make a working wage reliably
Also true in New Orleans. So says Josh Paxton. It probably helps if you're as good as he is. :keys2:
These are only my opinions, not supported by any actual knowledge, experience, or expertise.

yeah, god bless professional musicians. i admire, am jealous of, and empathize for you all at the same time.

I quit music in my early 20s before I flunked out of college. school led to my career led to family led to increasingly important jobs and increasing pay and i'm fully locked in and committed to it all now. I play for kicks and demand pay as confirmation i don't completely suck. I couldn't possibly support my family as i currently do as a musician.

But if it were just me, ahh yes (slow sigh ...), i'd go back to living in run down dumps, drinking cheap wine with rowdy friends and loose women, and playing gigs 4-6 times a week for whatever it payed. I'd dabble on writing, get alot more beach time. To live i'd help friends when they were in need and live off the kindness of these fellow travelers thru my own valleys. I don't need the trappings of career success, i just need to provide my family all they deserve.

my daughter has dance lessons. and dance teams. and a dance solo. and dance competitions - she alone spends as much as i make in music lol. My son has golf. anyone here pay green fees in SoCal lately?

no, i'll just sigh and imagine and get back to work - and await Friday's bar gig when i can put on some shitty jeans and torn up shirt and pretend i really am just a rock n roll musician.