Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Ravenscroft and iPhone 6

Hello all. I've been bringing my Electro 3 as a one keyboard rig on some jazz trio gigs, since I tend to play a lot of rhodes and some organ in those situations. However, there are some tunes that really want an acoustic piano sound, and I can't find any pianos in Nord's library that really work for me, especially in mono. I've been thinking about getting the Ravenscroft app, along with a Korg Plugkey, and playing it on my iPhone 6. So I was curious if anyone here is using it in that configuration, how it's performing for you, etc....thanks in advance for any info....

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm wondering what is it about any of the pianos in Nord's library that aren't working for you? Have you tried their mono samples? Ravenscroft iOS stereo presets summed to mono might give you questionable results anyway.

Here for the gear.

I use that Ravenscroft/Plugkey combination with my iPhone 6s and do not have any issues with latency. I've generally only used it at home in stereo with monitors, though, so I couldn't speak to the sound quality playing in mono.

Numa X Piano 73 | Yamaha CP4 | Mojo 61 | Motion Sound KP-612s | Hammond M3

Get in ears, play your Nord in stereo and never look back...

Alternatively, load up the Grand Lady D, Bright Grand and th Petrof Upright and try each in mono with the dedicated mono switch engaged.

What amplification are you using?

I own a Nord Stage 2 ex and also an iPad pro with Korg Plugkey and Ravenscroft. I really dont think it compares to the Nord Piano Library.

Kurzweil PC3x

Technics SX-P50

Korg X3

I am far too underinformed regarding ways to use the Ravenscroft sample.

I actually spoke to VI labs a few years ago to ask for help. Nothing ever came out of it.

I would like to use the full version of Ravenscroft or even this app if it sounds good . I have heard so many good things about it, bu8t I am technically limited as far as setting it up.

Any help appreciated.

Get in ears, play your Nord in stereo and never look back...

Alternatively, load up the Grand Lady D, Bright Grand and th Petrof Upright and try each in mono with the dedicated mono switch engaged.

What amplification are you using?

I own a Nord Stage 2 ex and also an iPad pro with Korg Plugkey and Ravenscroft. I really dont think it compares to the Nord Piano Library.

I checked out the pianos mentioned above, in stereo, in mono, played from both the E3's keyboard and a weighted controller, in my studio monitors (ADAMS) as well as Sennheiser headphones. What I don't dig about them is they have a VERY pronounced attack, which makes it tough to play smoothly in a ballad style. Also, the sustain portion of the tone is really thin sounding. Any of them would work in a band mix, but for more exposed playing probably not. Honestly, I like the piano sounds I have in my Px5S a WHOLE lot better, but I'm trying to find a solution for the gigs I would only bring the Nord to.....

There is not a lot of editing you can do to the iOS version, but there are some tone controls available, and you can save your version to call up. You might find Ravenscroft to be more even dynamically than the problems you're having with the above Nord library. That said, when I had a Nord Stage 2, I was using some other samples with broader dynamics such as the Italian and Studio Grand 2. I didn't have a chance to try Velvet or the Royal 3D which might be best yet.

I still think you should give those a try before committing to purchase a PlugKey and the Ravenscroft iOS app. I use Ravenscroft iOS as an appendage to the Mojo so any improvement on its acoustic piano is better, but I don't believe you will get a better piano out of an app than you will from Nord's library, at least right now.

Here for the gear.

I actually spoke to VI labs a few years ago to ask for help. Nothing ever came out of it.

I would like to use the full version of Ravenscroft or even this app if it sounds good . I have heard so many good things about it, bu8t I am technically limited as far as setting it up.

Any help appreciated.

Are talking about using Ravenscroft iOS as a standalone app? I have the older iPad Pro. I use IK Multimedia midi Rig 2 to connect my midi controller to the iPad. That's all there's to it pretty much. I have no problem with latency. It's quiet a playable library...and so is Korg module.

www.youtube.com/c/InTheMixReviews

Any help appreciated.

Are talking about using Ravenscroft iOS as a standalone app? I have the older iPad Pro. I use IK Multimedia midi Rig 2 and connect my midi controller to the iPad. That's all there's to it pretty much. I have no problem with latency. It's quiet a playable library...and so is Korg module.

I was wondering what LX88 was talking about here... "help" at what? and with which operating system?

Here for the gear.

I was wondering what LX88 was talking about here... "help" at what? and with which operating system?

Yeah, it's not clear what kind of problem he's having.

LX88, you can PM if you need some help with this.

Here for the gear.

I had the same issue as the OP. I used an Electro 3 and an Electro 5 for years. While its a great gigging board, its not particularly suited for acoustic piano. It is very difficult to consistently trigger lower velocities. At one point I emailed Nord about this issue. I finally moved to software pianos but triggering with the Nord still gave similar results. Using a computer I could see the velocities being triggered. I found that velocities of 30-40 on other keyboards were registering at 70-80 on the Nord. I played around with velocity curves but I was never able to get the electro to respond the way I wanted.

That being said you should definitely try the royal grand or imperial grand, although I think they use about all of the electro 3s memory. Or maybe the mellow upright or upright grand. Id also recommend the qsc k8 or k8.2 for amplification.

I hear you! I struggled on my NS2/73 for AP for a long time. I used to say it was worse than trying to play upright bass on a ukulele. But I still would rather have played Hammond, Clav, Synth or Strings from that keyboard than hammer action, and working with one board was so appealing I finally stopped trying to fight against it and just worked on controlling what I could digitally (ie Dynamics, Sample, EQ) and physically adapting to the rest. Isnt everything a trade-off?

Controlling Ravenscroft will make no difference from that keyboard, my 1.4 cents CDN.

Here for the gear.