Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

2019 resolutions

Yes yes, this year as well I will go the distance. Link to last year's thread can be found here.

Interestingly, my resolutions are just about the same BUT more concrete. I may be learning ... In 2019 I will:

- change teams within my job; this means I will abandon my position of go-to person and go back to learning a lot of new skills etc. Should be interesting!

- take up a course in ukulele! Already paid for, this 10-lesson course will guarantee that I get at least 9 workouts on the uke in 2019. Yes, already need to skip one day due to a Greta van Fleet concert...

- play the blues in 12 keys. I figured that a year has 12 months, so if I work on one key every month, I might actually make progress!

- "transcribe" 12 chosen tracks - this will ensure I train my ear because for the band I mainly either rely on tab or go with the chord flow and make things up as we go along.

Other than that, I spent way too much time lifting weights and not enough time running - figured as much when I went for a 5K last week and found I really, really miss running. So there will be more of that in 2019. Just how much more, I do not know.

Let's play!

"I'm a work in progress." Micky Barnes

The Ross Brown Shirt World Tour

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

A scosh late to the party, but here are mine:

1) Eat better -- no, I don't believe in diets and I'm not going to make myself miserable. But after over-indulging through the holidays, it's time to cut back on the carbs, sugar, fat and portions in general, and eat more of the right stuff.

2) More music -- I enjoy nothing more. So I'm going to seek more opportunities to play, and to attend more live shows.

3) More Jekyll, less Hyde -- I'm not only going to focus on being kinder, but also on being conscious of my hot buttons and how I react when they're pushed.

4) Keep writing -- I'm going to polish my craft by blogging regularly on various platforms, and promoting my first novel and getting to work on my second one.

"Tours widely in the southwestern tip of Kentucky"

• 2 months later...

Interim update:

- I have switched teams about a month ago. Best decision in a while, I have to say. Being on the other side of the explanations took (and takes) some getting used to, but no complaints;

- today concluded my ukulele course. Looks like there will be no follow-up course but it kick-started my interest in the instrument and made me practice quite a bit more. In that sense, mission accomplished. Now I just need to ensure I keep on doing what I am doing.

- Last three months I have managed to take one blues from the book and play it all the way through with minimal mistakes. It's fun but I won't claim to understand how the lines are built :) Yet ...

I have abandoned my initial "learn 12 songs" idea. Will switch it out for something else eventually.

I have abandoned my initial "learn 12 songs" idea. Will switch it out for something else eventually.

Just out of curiosity, how big is your band's repertoire, and how often do you add new tunes?

My main band has added 8 new songs, and revived 2 older originals, so far this year. And what I thought was last year's side project for just a couple of shows has decided to become a little more permanent, and so I've had to learn another 6 songs for them so far. When I consider that I've learned probably 7 sets worth of tunes in the last year and a half, I'm somewhat shocked. Especially with the tiny brain I'm stuck with.

"Am I enough of a freak to be worth paying to see?"- Separated Out (Marillion)

NEW band Old band

Update: I'm now playing in two bands.

Last year, a drummer, guitar player and I wanted to start a new project, but needed a fourth guy who could sing and play guitar or keys to round things out. A couple months back, the drummer texted saying "I've got the guy." We met at the regular jam my favorite music store holds, the hang was good, played a couple songs and made plans to start rehearsing.

At the same jam that night, a drummer I know told me his band had lost its bass player and wanted to know if I'd be interested in subbing for a gig they had coming up in April. He said he'd send me the set list and we'd get a couple rehearsals in. I said, yeah sure.

Ten minutes later he comes back and says, "Uh, what are you doing Friday night?" A local club they play at had a band fall out and the owner called him to ask if his band could fill the slot. Rehearsal the next night, downbeat was at 8:30 on Friday night, and we have our fourth gig together next Saturday.

"Tours widely in the southwestern tip of Kentucky"

• 2 weeks later...

Just out of curiosity, how big is your band's repertoire, and how often do you add new tunes?

Small, and just about never it would seem. Think we have about 20 songs now - after dropping several, and one is about to get dropped.

At home, I focus mainly on technique and theory (walking bass, chromatics, scales etc) but it's time I start picking random tunes to learn. Perhaps THAT should be my resolution!