Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

7ths Chords

Brother Fred,

It's never too late for us old dogs to learn some new tricks! I know you will go far on your new journey and the music will provide you with endless hours of joy! The Truefire membership looks interesting and I'll bet you'll find some great teachers that will get you moving and inspire you to learn more! Like you, I have more than enough guitars, but I may add one more and call it my 70th LOL!

I love jazzing up the old country tunes, working on a few old jazzy standards, playing rockabilly, etc. I'm doing my on thing more and more these days and always on the lookout for new ways to use chords to back up my vocals...I have forgot more than I know and I plan to revisit some of those tunes and maybe take a few lessons too! Good luck and good playing to you! :thu:

Take care, Larryz

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Surfergirl,

Thanks for the heads-up, but I can't pull the trigger right now. I have to buy a new computer. I am doing everything from my phone and although convenient, it's also a PIA. My birthday is in July and that's when I'll pull the trigger.

If you play cool, you are cool.

Bro. Larry,

I kinda'wish I could afford a new instrument, but everything I want is $1300-1800 and that expenditure would only buy "different" not "better". I DON'T NEED ANY MORE GUITARS! I would be spending money for no other reason than to spend money. I am very happy with my guitars.

I think I can hear my Peerless Monarch 16 calling to me from a guitar stand across the room. I'm gonna'go play now. I believe that when I "play", I play stuff I already know. When I "practice", I work on stuff I can't play.

Brother Fred, was your Peerless guitar made in Korea? Do you have the stock pickup(s) in it? And, what do you think of the guitar? The guitar I'm looking into is made by Peerless. Thanks for any likes or dislikes info you can provide! :cool:
Take care, Larryz

I'm confused....

Does that model make 7th chords sound better? Otherwise...

Whassup with the bulletin board? ? :idk

Or, another case of "message board ADHD"? ;)

Whitefang

I started out with NOTHING...and I still have most of it left!

Bro. Larry,

Peerless is a family owned and operated company in Korea. They make very high quality instruments and are very reasonably priced.

My Monarch 16 is absolutely gorgeous. It is unique because it was designed by Lou Del Rosso, the owner of Guitars-n-Jazz in Summit, New Jersey and is only available from Guitars-n-Jazz. Like many Jazz guitars, only has one pickup in the neck position. Interestingly, it is a mini-humbucker and remains stock. The tone is so beautiful that I have not felt the need to upgrade. I have no idea what brand of pickup it is.

I can unhesitatimgly recommend Peerless guitars. They are beautifully crafted, with tone and playability rivaling the best (and more expensive) instruments available. They are highly respected on the JGF and I would buy another Peerless in a heartbeat.

I'm guessing that you're thinking about the Conti guitars which are made by Peerless. IMO, an excellent choice.

Let me know if you have more questions.

Thanks Brother Fred! Yes, I am looking at the Conti Heirloom made by Peerless and I am finally going to stop procrastinating and order one. I love the clean sounds of a good quality jazz guitar. I play mostly rhythm guitar on the clean setting and use the chords to back up my vocals. I plan to revisit some of the old standards and relearn the backing and passing chords in those tunes. I do like to improvise and play a little lead guitar as well. I'll keep you posted on how it works out when I get my hands on one! I had to wait until my special order strings came in as I can send them in with my order and they will set up the guitar to my preferred string gauge. So I'm ready to pull the trigger! :cool:
Take care, Larryz

Yea. I love the beautiful, complex tone of a hollow body archtop too.

Man, you're going top shelf! I thought you were looking at the "Entrada". Is the "Heirloom" pressed or carved? I feel confident that you are going to love your Peerless. They really do make fine guitars.

Looking forward to reading your first impressions.

BTW: My Monarch 16 is also solid wood (Spruce/Maple) pressed, not carved. GORGEOUS ARCHTOP!!!

P.S. What kind (brand, set) of strings are you playing? I've been playing D'Addario EPN115 Pure Nickel 11-48 on my hollow bodies add D'Addario EXL115w 11-49 wound 3rd on my Sheraton.

Brother Fred, was your Peerless guitar made in Korea? Do you have the stock pickup(s) in it? And, what do you think of the guitar? The guitar I'm looking into is made by Peerless. Thanks for any likes or dislikes info you can provide! :cool:

Peerless are fabulous guitars. They made archtops for Gretsch, Epiphone & a few others before putting their own name on headstocks. Very fine instruments, but if you want to step up a notch in price & quality, take a look at some Eastmans.

Scott Fraser

Peerless are fabulous guitars. They made archtops for Gretsch, Epiphone & a few others before putting their own name on headstocks. Very fine instruments, but if you want to step up a notch in price & quality, take a look at some Eastmans.

Scott,

I absolutely agree that Eastman makes a very fine guitar.

Peerless archtops go up to around $2500. Isn't this about what an Eastman costs? Both companies are "building to a price ppint" and at any given price ppint, compete with each other.

While at GnU I played a Peerless Gigmaster Jazz and an Eastman AR371. BOTH of these instruments were the manufacturers' take on an ES175. Both instruments cost around $1,000, both were excellent quality and NEITHER sounded like an ES175. They both had their own sonic character. I should mention that playability was excellent on both. I finally decided on the Peerless Monarch 16 at $1400. IMO, the level of performance was worth the incremental increase in price.

"Different strokes for different folks". Be well and play well, my friend.

The 5120 is a very nice & affordable archtop. I have one in sunburst. Love it, but the pickups are lackluster, & the bridge hardware is a bit cheap. Upgrading to better pickups & a solid bar bridge, like a Tru-Arc or Compton turns this into a great instrument. They have been replaced by the 5420 series, which includes better (IMO) blacktop Filtertron pickups, bound F holes, & a classier headstock. I have one of these too, & it's currently my main gig axe. I keep the 5120 tuned to open D, which has assured it an ongoing place in my collection. Hard to go wrong with a Gretsch.

Scott Fraser

Scott,

Peerless archtops go up to around $2500. Isn't this about what an Eastman costs? Both companies are "building to a price ppint" and at any given price ppint, compete with each other.

While at GnU I played a Peerless Gigmaster Jazz and an Eastman AR371. BOTH of these instruments were the manufacturers' take on an ES175. Both instruments cost around $1,000, both were excellent quality and NEITHER sounded like an ES175. They both had their own sonic character. I should mention that playability was excellent on both. I finally decided on the Peerless Monarch 16 at $1400. IMO, the level of performance was worth the incremental increase in price.

Thanks Scott, but I already pulled the trigger today on the 2 pickup Conti Heirloom. It cost $1,948 + $126 to upgrade the gig bag to a hard shell case + $74.95 shipping for a total of $2,148.95. It should be here within a couple weeks. I have friends that I have played with that have both electric and acoustic Eastmans and +1 they are great guitars!

@ Fred, I use GHS pure nickel Rollerwound 10-50's and a special order single 18 gauge wound 3rd. The rollerwounds are half way between a flatwound and a roundwound. They squeak a little less and allow me to bend a little on the 1st 2nd and 3rd strings. They are not dull like flatwounds and the bass really comes through nicely. The Conti guitars come stock with 11-48 GHS roundwounds with a wound 20 gauge 3rd, so I'm sending them a set of my strings, so their tech can set up my new baby...I hope Mr. Conti likes them!

I checked with them today on the carved vs pressed question. This is a solid spruce top with solid maple back and sides. The solid spruce top is pressed into shape. The only way to tell that it's not laminate (besides the increased acoustic volume and tone) is to remove a pickup and look at the edge of the pup cavity. Mine is in the Natural Blonde honey finish with the gold finger tail piece, gold Tom bridge on top of floating ebony, gold volume and tone knobs, gold tuners, ebony fret board with pearl and abalone inlays...can't wait to get this baby home! :cool:

This is what she will look and sound like in more capable hands. Robert Conti will make me a DVD of him playing my guitar before he ships it out with his name on the headstock to insure it meets with his approval. I love that headstock BTW! Mine is the same finish as this one:

[video:youtube]

:cool:

ps. I will be able to play those better sounding 7th chords on this baby LOL!

Take care, Larryz

Scott,

Peerless archtops go up to around $2500. Isn't this about what an Eastman costs? Both companies are "building to a price ppint" and at any given price point, compete with each other.

I haven't checked in on Peerless for a while, & it seems their pricing is moving to a more premium range. When I was last in a buying mood I think the Peerless line topped out around $1500.

Plus, I was fortunate to be able to get a couple new Eastmans at well under street price by being in the right place at the right time with the right friendly local dealer.

While at GnU I played a Peerless Gigmaster Jazz and an Eastman AR371. BOTH of these instruments were the manufacturers' take on an ES175. Both instruments cost around $1,000, both were excellent quality and NEITHER sounded like an ES175.

I'm betting they both were better guitars than the Gibson. Around the time I picked up my first Gretsch I also tried an ES175. Besides being a truly ugly blue, it played terribly, wasn't set up right (this at a Gtr Ctr) had rough fret edges, etc. Honestly, a $300 Epiphone would beat that Gibson.

They both had their own sonic character. I should mention that playability was excellent on both. I finally decided on the Peerless Monarch 16 at $1400. IMO, the level of performance was worth the incremental increase in price.

"Different strokes for different folks". Be well and play well, my friend.

I haven't had the pleasure of playing many of the higher end Peerless models, since, once they became better known under their own name, Peerless stopped being available at my local mom & pops store. But my mid-range Epiphones & Gretsches are mostly Peerless, & those have been great guitars.

Scott Fraser

Bro. Larry,

Congrats again on your beautiful new archtop.

I hope it brings you many years of enjoyment and may it motivate you to learn as much as you can about playing our chosen instrument, the guitar

Scott,

Thank you for your excellent response.

I absolutely agree with all of your observations.

I concur wholeheartedly regarding Gibson. They appear to not care about shoddy craftsmanship at all. In addition they are exhorbitantly priced. In general, I don't think that a Gibson is a good "Value Proposition".

I have gotten to the point where I would prefer an import costing $1500-2000. For that money, I could own a well-crafted, visually beautiful, sonically breathtaking, stage worthy instrument.

In all fairness, I should mention that there are a lot of Gibson players on the JGF who love their instruments. Well yeah, they're playing L-5's, Byrdlands, Super 400's and the like. Hell, if I could afford to spend $8,000-10,000 on a guitar, I had damn well better be happy with it!

Nice. That Stromberg headstock is very reminiscent of the Höfner headstock.

Stromberg seems to have had TWO headstock designs over the years. Sure, one reminiscent of the Hofner, and the other(and more familiar) looks like what TACOMA based their headstock on. ;) As Hofner started 'bout 20 years earlier, but in Europe, and Stromberg in Boston, it would be hard to ascertain if the similarity was intentional or not.

And Fred----with ya 100% on the HERITAGE thing. ;)

Whitefang

I started out with NOTHING...and I still have most of it left!

Bro. Larry,

Congrats again on your beautiful new archtop.

I hope it brings you many years of enjoyment and may it motivate you to learn as much as you can about playing our chosen instrument, the guitar

:thu:

Take care, Larryz

I concur wholeheartedly regarding Gibson. They appear to not care about shoddy craftsmanship at all. In addition they are exhorbitantly priced. In general, I don't think that a Gibson is a good "Value Proposition".

Hopefully the regime change at Gibson will change all that & they will once again become synonymous with high quality instruments. They've just emerged from a very dark period.

Scott Fraser

Gibson obviously had problems over the past few years. Not only with poor quality on their top-of-the-line? guitars but with the penalties imposed over the endangered wood species. But it does seem like the new CEO and Board have the correct priorities now. Only time will tell if the Company can regain the image and value proposition they once held.

I for one am willing to give them a chance to prove themselves (since I'm not planning to shell out several thousand bucks for a new Les Paul :D ). I still consider them right up there with Martin for an acoustic guitar. Particularly if I'm wanting the deep resounding bass for the Delta Blues.