Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Solo Rhodes songs?

Hey all,

I love the sound of a Rhodes, but often I only hear them in ensembles. Are there any recordings or artists that feature solo playing? Jazz in particular would be of interest.

Thanks in advance.

Todd

Sundown

Working on: The Jupiter Bluff; Driven Away

Main axes: Kawai MP11 and Kurz PC361

DAW Platform: Cubase

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Pat Martino and Gil Goldstein made two albums together of just roads and guitar. Its a great sound. I use it as a duo model.

[video:youtube]https://youtu.be/qBJPruIGkrU

Find 660 of my jazz piano arrangements of standards for educational purposes and tutorials at www.Patreon.com/HarryLikas Harry was the Technical Editor of Mark Levine's "The Jazz Theory Book" and helped develop "The Jazz Piano Book."

Bill Evans in his trio used several interludes with voicings that were meant for the Tines.

Id play the same voicings on Acoustic Piano and was surprised it didnt carry tone like the bellish Rhodes..

Magnus C350 + FMR RNP + Realistic Unisphere Mic

Mostly solo Rhodes with some bass and drums in the middle section.

[video:youtube]

C3/122, M102A, Vox V301H, Farfisa Compact, Gibson G101, GEM P, RMI 300A, Piano Bass, Pianet , Prophet 5 rev. 2, Pro-One, Matrix 12, OB8, Korg MS20, Jupiter 6, Juno 60, PX-5S, Nord Stage 3 Compact

Check out Hank Jones' album Rockin' in Rhythm (1977). Straight ahead jazz trio studio session, in which he alternates tunes with Rhodes and piano. To me, it doesn't get better than this for showing off the beauty of a clean suitcase Rhodes sound for jazz. This Rhodes is set up so well that Hank seems to be able to translate his piano style to the Rhodes without thinning it out too much.

For more jazz piano concept on Rhodes, Clare Fischer albums often feature him on Rhodes, including his 1982 album Starbright, a duo with Gary Foster on alto and flute.

A practical question/comment: If I'm playing a solo gig with a keyboard where I can choose between a good piano and a good rhodes sound, I'll sometimes throw in a few tunes on rhodes, but I usually keep it 90+% acoustic piano, for two reasons. First, I feel that slathering on the rhodes will be too strange to average listener's ears. I'm talking now about gigs where you're playing for an audience most of whom did not come specifically to hear you play.

Second, given the typical ambient noise in a restaurant or bar, I don't think the rhodes will cut through as well when that's what you need. Ambient room noise will wax and wane as the crowd grows or thins or become more or less boisterous. With acoustic piano tones you can adjust your playing to match the entire spectrum. I think a rhodes tone would get washed out during the noisy times much more easily. That's my theory, anyway.

But a smattering of tunes done on a rhodes patch can be a very tasty ingredient.

Gigging: Crumar Mojo 61, Hammond SKPro

Home: Vintage Vibe 64

I guess there are no solo Rhodes recordings! I think the Gil Goldstein Pat Martino Rhodes/guitar duo albums come the closest.

[video:youtube]https://youtu.be/CaC6neXRC6s

Find 660 of my jazz piano arrangements of standards for educational purposes and tutorials at www.Patreon.com/HarryLikas Harry was the Technical Editor of Mark Levine's "The Jazz Theory Book" and helped develop "The Jazz Piano Book."

Featuring my friend and Renaissance founding member John Hawken on Rhodes.

C3/122, M102A, Vox V301H, Farfisa Compact, Gibson G101, GEM P, RMI 300A, Piano Bass, Pianet , Prophet 5 rev. 2, Pro-One, Matrix 12, OB8, Korg MS20, Jupiter 6, Juno 60, PX-5S, Nord Stage 3 Compact

I think Hawken is playing a digital keyboard, I don't hear any note variations. The notes of a real Rhodes have different tonal variations.

@Jazz+ - You are correct. That is a 2006 re-recording. Can't find the original. Here is another Strawbs song with Rhodes prominent in the beginning but buried under other instruments later in the song.

Mostly solo Rhodes with some bass and drums in the middle section.

One of my favorites! Love the effect from 1:37 on... Wonder what is it... Leslie? Uni-vibe? Something similar?

My drawbars go to eleven.

Gear: Roland VR-09, Nord Electro 2 61, Korg CX-3. Hear my music: facebook.com/smokestoneband

One of my favorite "Rhodes" songs. It's mostly solo, with just a taste of the band in the middle verses...

Speaking of Billy Joel, this song gave me nightmare flashbacks of Prom Season 1977; I must have played it 500 times, and it didn't help that I actually looked like Billy Joel back then...

I too played "Just The Way You Are" at many a school dance, but I still have a soft spot for the tune. Such a well written and crafted song, and Billy sounds great on this live version. I always thought the Phil Woods sax solo on the recording was one of the best pop/rock sax solos of all time as well. Great stuff...