Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Great keyboard solos in pop tunes

[video:youtube]

I was going to link this one too!

Live: Korg Kronos 2 88, Nord Electro 5d Nord Lead A1

Toys: Roland FA08, Novation Ultranova, Moog LP, Roland SP-404SX, Roland JX10,Emu MK6

www.bksband.com

www.echoesrocks.com

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

[video:youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cOYZ_Ms9PZg

You don't have ideas, ideas have you

We see the world, not as it is, but as we are. "One mans food is another mans poison". I defend your right to speak hate. Tolerance to a point, not agreement

Wow, but I don't think I've seen anyone post this one yet: Roundabout by Yes.

Ludwig van Beethoven:  “To play a wrong note is insignificant; to play without passion is inexcusable.”

My Rig: Yamaha MOXF8 (used mostly for acoustic piano voices); Motion Sound KP-612SX & SL-512.

Prince has tons of great synth and piano solos on his or The Time records. He had a nice feel on monosynth.

Agreed, though Dr. Fink had some great ones on those records too. My favorite is "Head." I have a live bootleg of it where Prince introduces Fink after the solo, and says "If you can't play a synthesizer like that, don't play one!"

Uncertain Smile - The The. Over three minutes of Piano soloing by Jools Holland.

This is the Day - The The. Wix Wickens of Paul McCartney's band takes a few Accordion solos.

Jeanette - English Beat. Jack Emblow who played on The Beatles' "All You Need is Love" gets in some hot Accordion licks.

C3/122, M102A, Vox V301H, Farfisa Compact, Gibson G101, GEM P, RMI 300A, Piano Bass, Pianet , Prophet 5 rev. 2, Pro-One, Matrix 12, OB8, Korg MS20, Jupiter 6, Juno 60, PX-5S, Nord Stage 3 Compact

Yacht rock icon and gigantic hit from 1980, Sailing - Christopher Cross. Micheal Omartian plays so much great piano on this album as well as his perfect arrangement and production. The piano break is awesome, cycling through an uncommon chordal sequence to bring it back to A major. A great pop tune. Also love his piano playing on all those old Steely Dan songs - Doctor Wu, Gold Teeth II, etc.

[video:youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7khQNR7s1Ho

Mills Dude -- Lefty Hack

• 4 months later...
Wow, but I don't think I've seen anyone post this one yet: Roundabout by Yes.

I think we're purposefully staying away from Prog. If we included it, it would include half all the greatest solos, the other half would be jazz/blues. We're keeping it to "Pop" and by that we mean 4-minute, top-40 hits. I know Roundabout is a huge hit, but it's kind of an outlier. Same reason "Highway Star" hasn't come up, I think most of us consider Deep Purple to be prog.

Puck Funk! :)

Equipment: Laptop running lots of nerdy software, some keyboards, noise makersâ¦yada yada yadaâ¦maybe a cat?