Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Casio Privia PX-S1000 ($600) and S3000 ($800)

How are the other sounds other than the AP & EP? I know the PX-5S (used to own the vPX but the 3000 intrigues & tempts me) had really good meat & tater sounds that complimented the main sounds nicely.
It has all the same 700 sounds the CDP-S350 and the CT-X series do, including the SFX Set, which is a total blast.

As I posted earlier (and as subsequently confirmed by Rich Formidoni), "not *all* of the CT-X5000 sounds can be in the PX-S3000, because the former has 800 sounds and the latter has 700 sounds." At the time, Rich didn't know what the subset consisted of, but at this point, you could download the data lists and compare.

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

Mike, I had asked earlier regarding splits: is the sustain pedal function assignable for either/both sides of a split?

Sorry if this has been answered and I missed it.

Yes

-Mike Martin

Casio

Mike Martin Photography Instagram Facebook

The Big Picture Photography Forum on Music Player Network

The opinions I post here are my own and do not represent the company I work for.

Mike, I had asked earlier regarding splits: is the sustain pedal function assignable for either/both sides of a split?

Sorry if this has been answered and I missed it.

Yes

And the sostenuto pedal can do the same? (SP34 3 pedal)

Numa Piano X73 /// Kawai ES920 /// Casio CT-X5000 /// Yamaha EW425

Yamaha Melodica and Alto Recorder

QSC K8.2 // JBL Eon One Compact // Soundcore Motion Boom Plus 

Win10 laptop i7 8GB // iPad Pro 9.7" 32GB

I just got my PX-S3000, and have a question.

When using Split, can I control DSP for the Lower part? I want a Clavi sound in Lower with LFO Wah, but I don't see in the manual how to adjust DSP for the Lower part. Thanks!

Review PX-S3000

It's a total upgrade. The best playing action and sounding board I've ever owned other than my Mason & Hamlin acoustic piano.

Key Action: superb

Dynamic Response: control over pp-ff excellent

Grand Piano: Impressive, with good sustain, no exaggerated attack or plunkiness, has full bodied notes, the surround sound makes it realistic sounding.

Clean Vintage Tone Rhodes: EP1 is authentic BUT first you must Turn OFF Phaser and Tremolo for a clean tone, then it's fine for soloing. I assigned Control Knob 1 to Chorus and Control Knob 2 to Reverb.

Vibraphone 1: excellent

Acoustic Bass: excellent

Editing interface takes getting used to...

It sounds great for gigs when I boost the volume with my customized Fender Rumble 40 Bass amp. There's no harshness.

Find 660 of my jazz piano arrangements of standards for educational purposes and tutorials at www.Patreon.com/HarryLikas Harry was the Technical Editor of Mark Levine's "The Jazz Theory Book" and helped develop "The Jazz Piano Book."

I just got my PX-S3000, and have a question.

When using Split, can I control DSP for the Lower part? I want a Clavi sound in Lower with LFO Wah, but I don't see in the manual how to adjust DSP for the Lower part. Thanks!

No, DSP is only editable for the Upper1 part.

-Mike Martin

Casio

Mike Martin Photography Instagram Facebook

The Big Picture Photography Forum on Music Player Network

The opinions I post here are my own and do not represent the company I work for.

Hey Mike-

MIDI 2.0 is nearly out and I expect it to be on most boards next year. Will the S-1000 S-3000 support MIDI 2.0, either by being ready for it now or by having their firmware upgraded?

Will the PX-5S replacement possibly coming out next year be the same regarding MIDI 2.0 as the S-1000 and S-3000?

Thanks.

Jazz +

What is your playback source?

I will go back and have a listen to the PXS 1000 that is here in my area. Meanwhile, I am demo -ing a Roland FP-30 that I have been talking about as being part of the 1000's " competition " , along with the Yamaha P-125.

Dynamic Range has never been the big issue for me. The thing that I listen for is consistency from note to note, and as I have mentioned, too much initial attack ( or plunkiness) that is not characteristic of a good acoustic piano.

I don't think that digitals will ever be totally true representations of acoustic instruments. What I don't want are the " deal breaker" issues in the tone. And that might be different for everyone.

In the Roland FP-30 I don't hear a lot of deal breakers in the sound. I A/B ed it with the Roland RD 2000 and I was surprised how much I liked the FP-30.

The FP-30 has only three levels of brightness, but what is nice is that when you back off the brightness level from default, the FP-30 still sounds good. This setting works best for headphones, and the default setting is best for speakers.

I should probably start a FP-30 thread. I am surprised I wasn't aware of it because sound wise it is one of the best representations of the Roland Super Natural sample that I have heard ( my opinion) .

I would love to check out the PXS 3000, but admittedly the PXS 1000 did not leave me wanting to take it home.

So I guess the main question would be- does the PXS 3000 have a better overall acoustic piano sample than the 1000?

Oh by the way... I like the Wurlie on the FP-30. The tremolo is a bit slow, but the tone is not bad. Not quite Nord but usable.

I did not care for the Rhodes on it, but that is par for the course among Casio/ Yamaha and Roland in this entry level ( roughly $600 ) price range.

Thanks Mike Martin and Jazz+.

I'm liking the idea of a Px S3000 as a replacement for my aging Yamaha P120. Looks like they're due to arrive in the UK in the first week of May so I'll have to wait a bit before purchase.

A shop in the north is offering them at £636 which is 20% off the price that other retailers are offering - £795. I think that this may be a bit too good to be true!! Might pre-order from one of the shops nearer me.

I like the backpack option for the gig bag but being just over 6ft wonder if there would be a problem going through doorways or venues with low ceilings!!

Quite exciting - must be 15 years or so since I last purchased a keyboard!!!

Dave

I can't really judge the Wurly since I haven't played one since I sold my 140B 30 years ago. I know the Casio reps play a lot of Wurly in the demos, so it should be good.

The Grand Piano in the S3000 and S1000 are on par with the Roland FP series piano sound. I was thinking to myself this morning how similar they sound, although I sold my FP4 and FP50 over two years ago. I would give the edge to the Casio though for expression and realism. My S3000 Grand Piano is impressive, with good sustain, no exaggerated attack or plunkiness, has full bodied notes,the surround sound makes it real sounding for the player.

b25f20da30c5aca8b4adf023cf3688fa--electric-piano-products.jpg

Find 660 of my jazz piano arrangements of standards for educational purposes and tutorials at www.Patreon.com/HarryLikas Harry was the Technical Editor of Mark Levine's "The Jazz Theory Book" and helped develop "The Jazz Piano Book."

Jazz +

What is your playback source?

I will go back and have a listen to the PXS 1000 that is here in my area. Meanwhile, I am demo -ing a Roland FP-30 that I have been talking about as being part of the 1000's " competition " , along with the Yamaha P-125.

Dynamic Range has never been the big issue for me. The thing that I listen for is consistency from note to note, and as I have mentioned, too much initial attack ( or plunkiness) that is not characteristic of a good acoustic piano.

I don't think that digitals will ever be totally true representations of acoustic instruments. What I don't want are the " deal breaker" issues in the tone. And that might be different for everyone.

In the Roland FP-30 I don't hear a lot of deal breakers in the sound. I A/B ed it with the Roland RD 2000 and I was surprised how much I liked the FP-30.

The FP-30 has only three levels of brightness, but what is nice is that when you back off the brightness level from default, the FP-30 still sounds good. This setting works best for headphones, and the default setting is best for speakers.

I should probably start a FP-30 thread. I am surprised I wasn't aware of it because sound wise it is one of the best representations of the Roland Super Natural sample that I have heard ( my opinion) .

I would love to check out the PXS 3000, but admittedly the PXS 1000 did not leave me wanting to take it home.

So I guess the main question would be- does the PXS 3000 have a better overall acoustic piano sample than the 1000?

Hmmmm.... it's really true, everyone hears differently. I tried an FP30 out at GC. While listening thru the onboard speakers I played the Grand Piano. To my ears it had a great deal of plunkiness, a metallic stridency that I did not enjoy. I've heard similar, esp with some Yamaha piano sounds, and never liked it

I like the Wurlie on the FP-30...I did not care for the Rhodes on it, but that is par for the course among Casio/ Yamaha and Roland in this entry level ( roughly $600 ) price range.

Have you ever checked out Kawai ES110?

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

I do not think that the Roland FP 30 sounds its best through internal speakers. At all.

I am going to take another listen to that local PXS 1000 in the next couple days. Once again the question remains.... Is the PXS 3000 the same piano sample as the 1000?

Same piano sample, yes.

Then it comes down to different taste. Apparently my ear is more attuned to the Roland approach.

I do like the new Yamaha higher end stuff but have been reluctant to plunk down $1500 ( P515) $ 1900 ( MODX 88 ) or $ 2500 ( CP88).

These lightweight budget priced boards have been getting very good. I took another look at the Yamaha P125 the other night too. It was priced at $499, and gave the Roland and Casio 1000 some competition to be considered. Apparently it has some kind of CFX sample.

Of course I will be checking out the PXS 3000 if I ever see one. In some cases Casio boards are not carried by Guitar Center, just about the only game in town for me.

Of course I will be checking out the PXS 3000 if I ever see one. In some cases Casio boards are not carried by Guitar Center, just about the only game in town for me.
There will be some GCs that carry the PX-S3000, but not as many as carry the PX-S1000. There are eight GCs in Houston and surrounding suburbs, and it's the biggest, oldest location that's expected to get the PX-S3000. If any others do, it'd be a miracle. ;)

Also, since you mentioned it, all GCs should have the two new CDP models, the CDP-S100 and CDP-S350 FWIW. Most should have the PX-S1000 as well.

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

Ill be satisfied to lay my hands on the 1000 and if the action agrees with me (Im more than happy with the samples) Ill immediately order the 3000, which I assume is identical. Neither nearby Sam Ash or GC have either, last time I looked. Theres just no excuse for that, its not a big layout for these big chains to have in stock and available. There should be one in every store, these were best in show and the New. Big. Deal.

Yamaha P515 & CK88, Pianoteq, Mainstage, iOS, assorted other stuff.

I found I can load the Piano songs via the MIDI menu in Chordona.

now I am transferring my classical favorites into the users song library (max 10 songs).

Apparently there are no on-board classical pieces built in to the S3000. Which I like to have on hand at the touch of a button at weddings. MY PX-360 and CTX-700 have many built in classical songs ready to play. Hmmm

The manual seems to suggest that you can play midi files from a usb stick - 1-10 user songs; 11-15 midi recorder songs & 16-999 usb memory songs.

Also, it seems that audio wav files can be imported into the piano and played back, 1-99 wav files. Need to change the name of the file in a computer to TAKEXX.WAV where XX=01-99 then load the files in via usb stick. The instructions refer to wav files recorded on the piano but I'm assuming a wav file is a wav file.

Lots of assuming on my part but worth a try!!

Dave

I found I can load the Piano songs via the MIDI menu in Chordona.

now I am transferring my classical favorites into the users song library (max 10 songs).

Apparently there are no on-board classical pieces built in to the S3000. Which I like to have on hand at the touch of a button at weddings. MY PX-360 and CTX-700 have many built in classical songs ready to play. Hmmm

Jazz+, one more time. Does the updated Casio action reduce or eliminate wobble and action noise?

Yamaha CP88, Casio PX-560

It substantially reduces noise, wobble and bounce . It is not a light action. Its quite heavy at the fall-board. After playing organ I am going to have to build up to the strength required. I want my associates to play it a lot for me so it loosens up , actions are typically stiff when new.

It substantially reduces noise, wobble and bounce . It is not a light action. Its quite heavy at the fall-board. After playing organ I am going to have to build up to the strength required. I want my associates to play it a lot for me so it loosens up , actions are typically stiff when new.

"it's not a right action... it's quite heavy at the fall-board" - different in this respect from your PX-360?

Yamaha CP88, Casio PX-560

"it's not a right action... it's quite heavy at the fall-board" - different in this respect from your PX-360?

Yes please! Comparisons to the PX-360/560 are inevitable- the S3000 has incredible bang-for-buck, but is missing some key features.

Of most interest: the action of course, the amount of effort needed is a big deal for some of us; but also the speakers. Improvements of the sounds would be a bonus.