Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Do you move when you play?

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Sometimes when I finish playing something and I back away from the keys or turn away to stand, I've got this stupid feeling of accomplishment and my arms won't come down to my sides. I'm thinking to myself this feels way to gay, I better go rebuild my truck or something.

Triton Extreme 76, Kawai ES3, GEM-RPX, HX3/Drawbar control, MSI Z97

MPower/4790K, Lynx Aurora 8/MADI/AES16e, OP-X PRO, Ptec, Komplete.

Ashley MX-206. future MOTU M64 RME Digiface Dante for Mon./net

I get very animated behind keyboards; when some folks pointed this out (meaning to be positive) I got quite self-conscious, and it took about a month for me to relax and let it resume.

-Tom Williams

{First Name} {at} AirNetworking {dot} com

PC4-7, PX-5S, AX-Edge, PC361

Ive always moved. Maybe it was a rock thing. I was doing it for myself, but I know folks liked to watch.

Contrast that to most of the trad jazz players Im with. Swinging hard, and absolutely no movement. And Ill get an occasional WTF look from them when I start a side to side sway like Ray or Stevie. :keys2:

My guitar player has got some cool moves, but he's got quite a few cringe moves too. Sometimes I mimic his moves for a good laugh but he doesn't even notice. It's hard not to move on bass -- slow dancing the groove, excitedly responding to a great fill or groove from the drummer, dodging the singer when he backs up suddenly towards the drums.

Moving while playing keys is a little more forced. Usually just some head bopping, a couple smear flairs, but mostly concentration, especially while foot dancing playing extra parts with my feet.

Lately I've taken to shooting my hands in the air at the end, like a sports goal score, esp if I hear a hoot from the audience. But if I fumbled the song I don't move much. Hard to tell audience reaction since my keys face towards the side of the stage instead of to the front.

It depends. When I play jazz, I'm usually rather still, except perhaps for those moments of big involvement at the peak of a solo... also, I sit down when I play the piano (obviously).

Otoh, when I'm standing up playing stronger music with a powerful rhythm section I tend to do little dances, and give the audience a little show. However, I haven't found myself in such situations for a while, and maybe by now I'm a bit old to engage in that kind of thing... or maybe not. I would like to test myself... :)

I move too much , I have to tap,!meaning it can be exhausting during long gigs.

Find 660 of my jazz piano arrangements of standards for educational purposes and tutorials at www.Patreon.com/HarryLikas Harry was the Technical Editor of Mark Levine's "The Jazz Theory Book" and helped develop "The Jazz Piano Book."

I can't. not. move. Nothing crazy, but I'm always swaying in the least.

I could've sworn there was an article some time ago exploring the science of how physically moving to the beat of a song helped the musician keep a more consistent tempo throughout the course of the song, but I can't find it.

I was playing at a bar band gig when some dude came up between songs and said he wanted to dance with me . He gauged mine and the band's reaction and said "You just look like you're having such a good time." I politely declined his invitation.

So go ahead and move, just not too much. ;)

MainStage; Hammond SK1-73; Roland XP-80, JV-90, JV-1080, JV-1010, AX-1; Korg microSAMPLER;

Boss DR-880; Beat Buddy; Neo Instruments Ventilator; TC Electronic ND-1 Nova Delay

Depends.. but being still is not natural. My feet like to do steps as I am seated... toe heel with both feet. I feel the riddums, very strongly...and why shouldn't I move? Hey who in the hell do you think you are? I take umbrage with that remark... I'll move any time I like.

I am in a weird habit at times, depending on band an instrument.. of looking at iPhone.. I am not sure how it comes off to audience..

But seriously, I think rhythmic music warrants movement in time with what you feel.

You don't have ideas, ideas have you

We see the world, not as it is, but as we are. "One mans food is another mans poison". I defend your right to speak hate. Tolerance to a point, not agreement

Like Stevie Wonder or Ray Charles!!! I am getting neck aches just thinking about it!!!

Jimmy

Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others. Groucho

NEW BAND CHECK THEM OUT

www.steveowensandsummertime.com

www.jimmyweaver.com

I sing lead on most songs for my cover band so I move a lot. I also will try to interact with the crowd as best I can. For the tribute act I am in, I don't sing lead and more focused on my playing, but I still try to "look alive". I play standing up and I think that is important when singing lead. My vocal coach also encourages me to be physical as her claim is that is helpful for singing. Bouncing a bit is helpful for singing and pitch.

Korg CX-3 (vintage), Casio Privia PX-5S, Lester K, Behringer Powerplay P2, Shure 215s

http://www.hackjammers.com

I sit as well so movement is there but limited. What I didn't realize and friends laugh at are facial ticks and grimaces, or pursed lips and other minor face movements that appear in tougher passages or parts that require more precision in timing.

Kurzweil PC3K8/ GSI Gemini Desktop/ ESI UNIK 8+ monitors/ QSC K8.2/ Radial Key Largo/ CPS Spacestation 

Sitting (85% w/band, 100 at the piano) I tend rock side to side slightly eventually as most piano players do almost involuntarily when they get going... similar to Ray Charles in movement but not half as demonstrative as his move... that's kind of a common thing when playing piano for a lot of players I think, the piano itself lends itself to feeling that with a rhythm going - rock side to side - two hands reaching for the upper and lower portions of the piano .. I will tap time with my left foot also at times and can get that going pretty good also but I sit fairly still a lot of the time. Maybe most of it!

CP-50, YC 73,  FP-80, PX5-S, NE-5d61, Kurzweil SP6, XK-3, CX-3, Hammond XK-3, Yamaha YUX Upright, '66 B3/Leslie 145/122

Sometimes more than I'd planned. I was playing on a low, small stage out in a field; and was backed into a small corner. One of the legs of my keyboard throne drifted over the edge, and during an organ solo I fell backward onto the grass. Glad it was relatively soft landing, at least. A fellow player in Denver did something similar, but fell square on his back onto concrete - fracturing two vertebrae. I ended up subbing a couple weeks worth of dates for him.

'Someday, we'll look back on these days and laugh; likely a maniacal laugh from our padded cells, but a laugh nonetheless' - Mr. Boffo.

We need a barfing cat emoticon!