Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

The Sam Cooke Steve Perry Connection

I greatly enjoyed the Dan Rather/Steve Perry interview on AXS

Here's a revealing snip:

[video:youtube]

To cut to the chase, go to 2:00 - 5:00 of this YouTubers explanation:

"Sam Cooke delivered vocals with an understated self-assurance that solidifies his Legend. Steve Perry learned from the best. In this case mimicry is the best form of flattery. Sam Cooke didn't just sing high notes he sang the entire Spectrum "

Anyway, I like history , call it nostalgia. The similarities in vocal between Cooke and Perry are uncanny.

Why fit in, when you were born to stand out ?

My Soundcloud with many originals:

[70's Songwriter]

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It's interesting Steve said that because the behind the music episode of Journey didn't touch on any of that. It's sad, some musicians just get off the wagon and stay off the grid.

"Danny, ci manchi a tutti. La E-Street Band non e' la stessa senza di te. Riposa in pace, fratello"

noblevibes.com

I guess I need to go back an listen to Perry with a different view point. I never got the feeling he was trying to add soul to Journey.

Jimmy

Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others. Groucho

NEW BAND CHECK THEM OUT

www.steveowensandsummertime.com

www.jimmyweaver.com

I guess I need to go back an listen to Perry with a different view point. I never got the feeling he was trying to add soul to Journey.

Here's a good place to start, Jimmy:

Live: Yamaha S70XS (#1); Roland Jupiter-80; Mackie 1202VLZ4: IEMs or Traynor K4

Home: Hammond SK Pro 73; Moog Minimoog Voyager Electric Blue; Yamaha S70XS (#2); Wurlitzer 200A

It's interesting Steve said that because the behind the music episode of Journey didn't touch on any of that. It's sad, some musicians just get off the wagon and stay off the grid.

I agree. I recommend the full Rather/AXS interview. SP provides much more insight and back story before and after the 10 year run with Journey

[70's Songwriter]

Steve is an athletic singer but he most certainly had "soul" or audiences around the globe would not have connected with him. Soul is more than an arranging style or melodies that use a blues scale to riff on, right? I recall a thread from a few months back on the debate of what constitutes soul. You can be soulful in any genre if your message is getting through.

Yamaha CP88, Casio PX-560

Steve is an athletic singer but he most certainly had "soul" or audiences around the globe would not have connected with him. Soul is more than an arranging style or melodies that use a blues scale to riff on, right? I recall a thread from a few months back on the debate of what constitutes soul. You can be soulful in any genre if your message is getting through.

I also equate 'soul ' with passion and emotion/inspiration. SP delivered all that, poured it out for +10 years w/Journey and in his solo work. You can get a fuller appreciation by checking out the interview.

Rather is skilled at stating the tough questions and getting an answer.

[70's Songwriter]

For what ever reason, maybe not listening to FM radio or music videos, I never really paid much attention to Steve Perry and Journey. I might just have to dig deeper. Thanks Don!

Jimmy

Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others. Groucho

NEW BAND CHECK THEM OUT

www.jimmyweaver.com

When the "record company" told Journey they wanted the band to get a "Kroner" to sing lead, Greg Rolie almost threw up. HE was the lead singer in Santana and was handling lead in Journey until the record company put their two cents into the band.

I don't remember how long Gregg stayed with Journey after Perry came on board, but it wasn't long before he was outta there!

The girls LOVED Steve Perry's vocals and all the LOVE songs he sang, but I was not a Journey fan.

Sam Cooke was in a totally different league than Steve Perry. No comparison. Sam had a marvelous voice, great range and style. Sam wrote his own songs. Sam Cooke's death was tragic, senseless. Really awful. His life was too short.

Yamaha Motif ES8, Alesis Ion, Prophet 5 Rev 3.2, 1979 Rhodes Mark 1 Suitcase 73 Piano, Arp Odyssey Md III, Roland R-70 Drum Machine, Digitech Vocalist Live Pro. Roland Boss Chorus Ensemble CE-1.

I never got the feeling he was trying to add soul to Journey.

I guess I could do a Lloyd Benson here, since I did know Steve Perry then. I was with the opening act on a Journey/Montrose tour and just about every night after the show, Me & Gary Baker, Steve Perry and Steve Smith would go down to the hotel bar or find us a club with a band, and pretty much take over the joint! Both Smith & Perry loved classic R&B/Soul (as did Gary & I), and we would play all the chestnuts, Midnight Hour, Knock on Wood, Mustang Sally, Ain't too Proud to Beg....

Steve Perry could absolutely sing soulfully. Maybe the Journey gig called for something different and he needed the nightly release, but whatever the reason, I had a blast. Trust me, playing Knock on Wood with Steve Smith was not the kind of thing you'd ever forget! :cool:

I guess I could do a Lloyd Benson here, since I did know Steve Perry then. I was with the opening act on a Journey/Montrose tour and just about every night after the show, Me & Gary Baker, Steve Perry and Steve Smith would go down to the hotel bar or find us a club with a band, and pretty much take over the joint! Both Smith & Perry loved classic R&B/Soul (as did Gary & I), and we would play all the chestnuts, Midnight Hour, Knock on Wood, Mustang Sally, Ain't too Proud to Beg....

Steve Perry could absolutely sing soulfully. Maybe the Journey gig called for something different and he needed the nightly release, but whatever the reason, I had a blast. Trust me, playing Knock on Wood with Steve Smith was not the kind of thing you'd ever forget! :cool:

Great to read this, Steve. I admire many drummers- Steve Smith is near the very top. He worked in tasty drum parts on Journey songs, without jumping out of the song.

[70's Songwriter]

I recall seeing him every few weeks back in the early 70s when he was up in Edmonton singing with a local pop/r&b band (Privilege, Eric), sharing tandem frontman duties for awhile with another respectable r&b singer. Perry was great on the usual standards in my recollection but the highlight was always the encore where hed get talked into doing a Frankie Valli sendup on Sherry Baby. Then we got to see the mans range. I still think he was one of the best singers of any genre that Ive ever seen.

Here for the gear.

I can see where Perry could sing soulful. Nice to know he loved it too. Thanks Mr. Nathan for your insight. I will have to dive into their catalog and see what gems I might find to make my own. As an old soul brotha I love bringing out some Sam Cook, Joe Tex, Percy Sledge, Eddie Floyd stuff.

Jimmy

NEW BAND CHECK THEM OUT

www.jimmyweaver.com

I'm both a huge Sam Cooke and Journey fan and although I think the influence is clear and insanely strong, I disagree with MikeT156 on the point of Sam being a better vocalist. Sam Cooke was an innovator and was amazing in every way. Steve Perry simply had a more powerful instrument. In fact, I really think Perry's voice, in it's heyday, was the most powerful male rock voice in the history of the genre. As soulful as Sam Cooke? No. A one-in-a-billion Stradivarius level set of pipes? Yeah.

I'm ready to start putting up videos to make my case.... Just tag me in.

Korg Kronos 2 61, Kronos 1 61, Dave Smith Mopho x4, 1954 Hammond C2, Wurlitzer 200A, Yamaha Motif 6, Casio CDP-100, Alesis Vortex Wireless, too much PA gear!

Yep, Steve Perry had a more powerful voice than Sam Cooke. But Steve was a one trick pony. Sam Cooke had the whole package. Talent.

But then, I was never really a Journey fan.

Mike T.

Yamaha Motif ES8, Alesis Ion, Prophet 5 Rev 3.2, 1979 Rhodes Mark 1 Suitcase 73 Piano, Arp Odyssey Md III, Roland R-70 Drum Machine, Digitech Vocalist Live Pro. Roland Boss Chorus Ensemble CE-1.

Yeah, I'll give you that Mike, Cooke was an all around talent. And Perry may have been a one trick pony, but he might have been the Secretariat of Singers. Otherwordly pitch. A voice equal parts whiskey and velvet. He always performed in recorded key (this is big. A vast majority of the big hitters dropped a half step at least for live play). He was a guy with a Lamborghini of a voice. So the fact that he happens to clearly worship Sam Cooke is just a force-multiplier bonus!

You stated that Cooke was in a whole different league then Perry. I just posit that Perry's voice allows him to hang in ANY league.

Korg Kronos 2 61, Kronos 1 61, Dave Smith Mopho x4, 1954 Hammond C2, Wurlitzer 200A, Yamaha Motif 6, Casio CDP-100, Alesis Vortex Wireless, too much PA gear!

Yep, Steve Perry had a more powerful voice than Sam Cooke. But Steve was a one trick pony. Sam Cooke had the whole package. Talent.

But then, I was never really a Journey fan.

Mike T.

We shouldn't over look that SP was a successful song writer.

Thats equal to his vocal skill and shouldn't be over looked.

To further emphasize, SP likely collected lots of royalty since

he contributed/ received 1/3 credit for Journey songs he helped create.

[70's Songwriter]

Steve sang sharp a lot. Bugged me.

These days they have vocal correction software in recording studios. Might be called auto tune. I dislike the heavy handedness of auto tune for vocalists.

My guess is that this auto tune stuff did not quite exist during the 10 years of Journeys monster success with Steve Perry

[70's Songwriter]

Steve sang sharp a lot. Bugged me.

Yeah. I don't know if it was because he was pushing to much with his vocals, or if his pitch recognition was not perfect. Of course, the average fan couldn't tell the difference.

I have a tendency to sing off key sometimes too, I am certainly no Steve Perry.

Part of my bias is I have always been a Greg Rolie fan and was not much of a Steve Perry fan. But us back benchers have never attained their level of success, so drop back 10 and Punt.

[qu

Part of my bias is I have always been a Greg Rolie fan and was not much of a Steve Perry fan. But us back benchers have never attained their level of success, so drop back 10 and Punt.

Greg is doing ok. He is part of Ringo Starr's All Starr Band tour. They have dates for 2019.

AXS/Rather also interviewed Ringo. It was a great interview. Ringo is awesome.

[70's Songwriter]