Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

OT - Running

Phred

Dave you will recover much faster than you think being consistent is the key.

I used to be an avid runner and run 5k's and half marathon. I am in my mid 50's but I haven't run in about 5 years need to get the Mojo back. Gosh when you quit for a long time it is really hard to get motivated.

Running is so relaxing and clears your mind from all the stress of everyday life. Good to see you back running.

Next goal is to run a mile without stopping. It's beyond humbling to see how much I've lost in the 9 months. :cry:

i can imagine!

just two days off in a row, makes my 3 miles a day significantly more difficult.

but thats just age taking its toll . . .

i have to run to maintain my sanity! :cheers:

.... Jeff /// Yamaha P515 /// Roll Tide

I bought an exercise bike because my version of "running" closely resembles that of a lava flow. I once loosely hiked n' biked, scuba dived and the like, but my knees went belly-up, so the home bike at least allows me to hold the line. Side point: it also matters because even just playing lil' controllers is an intermediate contact sport. Triple that if you play acoustic keys or weighted controllers. Its more than worth it to keep my stamina and reflexes rolling.

"Why can't they just make up something of their own?"
           ~ The great Richard Matheson, on the movie remakes of his book, "I Am Legend"

• 3 weeks later...

i have a tough enough time dealing with the heat and humidity, running this time of the year . . . stay away from the hills as much as possible.

cant imagine going up a mountain trail.

nice to hear im not the only one getting exhausted to the extent of being useless the remainder of the day. ;)

good to hear you are making progress!

We're having great weather this time of year, compared to other parts of the country. Hope the heat stays away just a little while longer.
You're lucky. I was trying to get to a half-marathon distance (for no particular event nor reason except to do it), but then my left hamstring acted up so I backed off and then I was sick for a few days and then... the heat came. When the mornings are around 80° and the humidity is up there as well, I'm lucky to do a maintenance mode at around 6 km every other week. I'm hoping to try again when it cools off. Sigh.

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

• 4 months later...

Summer's over, sort of. Houston can be hard this way. It was 65° and somewhat humid (okay, maybe a lot) when I went for my run this AM. But, I had decided that I'm going to try to get back on track for the half marathon training. Today was just going to be a normal 30 minute run, though.

About half way through my run, I passed a guy and his dog. Then, I got to the intersection, and for some reason decided to overdo it as far as checking. I usually look left, right, and then left again. This time, I think I looked both ways a couple of times. I think I was looking left when suddenly I was going down. Maybe I twisted myself around. But really, I don't know what happened. My hands hit, as did the front AND side of my right knee, my left knee hit something, my right elbow hit on the outside of my arm, as did my right shoulder. I even grazed the ground with my face though that barely left a mark.

Best of all, I shattered the display on my Apple Watch, which I was wearing on my right arm. Fortunately, I have AppleCare and it should only cost me $70 to replace it. It's scheduled to arrive tomorrow.

Between the lack of progress I've been having lately and this, I'm wondering about running again at all. I used to enjoy the feeling of accomplishment but I'm not sure I feel like I can make any progress. And, I don't expect to run again this week. Whatever banging I did to my knees may preclude that even if I want to run. :(

When I fell, the guy walking his dog asked if I was okay. I don't really know the answer to that, still. I mean, I went home, running some intervals as scheduled. Blood was dripping down my leg and arm. I have other soreness in spots like my triceps maybe from the extension to catch the fall.

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

Thanks, Dave. I fell a bit last year running "after" Harvey. I slipped off a curb and skinned a knee and maybe beat my palms. That wasn't too bad. This one was pretty gnarly and I don't think I've ever fallen like that in my life. I think I bounced. I keep picturing it from the outside in slow motion. Huh, I just realized that image is being pictured the wrong way, me landing facing left when I was facing right. Silly brain.

Anyway, I have been glad to hear that you're getting back to it. I think I need to figure out how to make myself enjoy it again. I've been doing it lately because it's what I do. I used to enjoy it much more.

Eeeshhh! Hope you're OK Joe. My wife recently rolled and broke her foot for the 3rd time, last being a couple of years ago. This running has always been a struggle for me and with a bunch of other crap breaking my routine lately I'm definitely feeling it more. Went out this morning in the rain and huffed and puffed for about 2.5 before walking some and finished up. Still glad I'm still getting out there although my back is not real happy today.

I guess my running days are numbered. I'll probably wait for that first crash and burn. Good thing I run during early morning hours in the dark. No witnesses :hitt:

Anyway, I have been glad to hear that you're getting back to it. I think I need to figure out how to make myself enjoy it again. I've been doing it lately because it's what I do. I used to enjoy it much more.

Sorry to hear about the fall, Joe!

At 61 i haven't received the benefits of a runners high in probably 20 plus years.

Do it more now out of habit, and because i feel bad if i skip!

Also i like to eat too much, and have to burn the calories. :laugh:

Guess ive been lucky on falling....now tomorrow ill probably hit the pavement.

I hope I don't jinx anyone! :eek:

At 61 i haven't received the benefits of a runners high in probably 20 plus years.

Do it more now out of habit, and because i feel bad if i skip!

Also i like to eat too much, and have to burn the calories. :laugh:

This has been true for me too. If I don't do it I don't feel right. But it used to be so much fun.

• 1 month later...

After this morning's scorching 10 miler (not) , I've hit 42 miles for two consecutive weeks running 6 days. A tad under 42 last week and around .30 over this week. Would be great to hold it around this mark for awhile and eventually push it up to the occasional 50 mile week again. When I think about where I was this time last year......very thankful. :thu:

It was all street, no trail and not a lot of traffic thankfully. The time was 1:49:10 - 57:01 out and 52:09 back. 10:55 pace with the two steep hills - Hospital Hill going out and Descanso coming back.

Even in my late 50s, I could do an easy 12 to 12.5 in the time it's now taking me to run 10. But things change, dramatically at 65. ;):( But again, thankful just to be out there still putting in the miles regardless of pace.

In the back of mind I'd like to shoot for 2K miles again in 2019. It would be a great goal for me. The last year I was there was when I was 56, 9 years ago. You have to average a little over 38 miles a week to hit 2000 for the year.

Dave, that's impressive. I'm struggling to run three days a week. My legs complain too much. But I'm trying to work up to something more than I'm doing, especially since we are out of the hot season here for the moment.

• 3 months later...

I recently started running again after neglecting it for several months. The way my body responds to it is still a complete mystery to me:

Day 1: barely manage to eke out 3 miles, with lots of panting and embarrassingly frequent breaks.

Days 2 & 3: same.

Day 4: rest.

Day 5: knock out 7 miles like it's nothing.

Days 6 and 7: do over 6 miles, no problems.

Day 8: rest, travel to Colorado.

Day 9: try to run a short distance, realize I'm exhausted after half a mile due to the difference in altitude.

Day 10: still in Colorado, knock out 8 miles no problem.

At this point I feel like I have so little understanding of how my own body works that I should go re-read "Tales of a Fourth Grade Nothing."

Ive gotten less consistent, performance wise, with age. But not to the extremes you are Josh.

Dave, you and i have the same watch. Havent seen that good of numbers on mine though.

I've been knocking out 4 milers on my trail trying to get back into some semblance of running form. But I've been having a breathing-related discomfort. It's hard to explain but it occurs in the trachea area and upper chest, like just below the clavicle, usually goes away after a mile. Not heart related, or at least I don't think so. My wife (RN) thinks it might be exercise-induced asthma.

I've been running for 25 years, coupla half marathons under my belt so I'm not a newbie and this discomfort has me slightly concerned. My wife wants me to try an inhaler. :(

Oh man, you guys are reminding of all the uh, new sensations I get at times when running. Cold air kills me. It's hard to breathe, and it makes my eyes screwy and hard to focus (as best I can being near-sighted again). I've had times that I've wondered if I have a breathing issue because of it.

Meanwhile, my training schedule has me doing 9.5 miles this Friday. My goal? 13.1 miles. I should hit that the middle of next month if all goes well. I tried doing this a year ago and me left hamstring tightened up and I finally got that worked out this past winter. Wish me luck!

Joe, good luck. Are you training for a Half?
Yes, but not a specific one. I just want to do it on my own. I'm perfectly fine with just knowing I did it when I do, and perhaps a little bragging online. :)

Haven't been out in over a couple years due to anxiety and agoraphobia related to my Aspergers. Same with cycling. I miss it.

Hardware

Yamaha MODX7, DX7, PSR-530, SY77/Korg TR-Rack, 01/W Pro X, Trinity Pro X, Karma/Ensoniq ESQ-1, VFX-SD

Behringer DeepMind12, Model D, Odyssey, 2600/Roland RD-1000/Arturia Keylab MKII 61

Software

Studio One/V Collection 9/Korg Collection 4/Cherry Audio/UVI SonicPass/EW Composer Cloud/Omnisphere, Stylus RMX, Trilian/IK Total Studio 3.5 MAX/Roland Cloud

Haven't been out in over a couple years due to anxiety and agoraphobia related to my Aspergers. Same with cycling. I miss it.
:( Sorry, man.

• 2 weeks later...

Dave,

Your commitment to fitness is amazing! I'm sure the knee will come around.

I was hoping Des would repeat at Boston, now that my girl Kara Goucher (:love:) is switching to trail marathons.

My breathing discomfort issue persists. I am both happy and sad to report the inhaler my wife had me try did not work. So I'm happy because that indicates it is probably not asthma, but I'm sad because I still have the discomfort! It is not bad enough to prevent me from hitting the trail though, so for that I am thankful. :)

• 4 weeks later...
Finally decided to go out for a jog. Was thinking maybe 2 or 3 miles. Ended up doing 6 at around a 12-minute mile pace.

Hardware

Yamaha MODX7, DX7, PSR-530, SY77/Korg TR-Rack, 01/W Pro X, Trinity Pro X, Karma/Ensoniq ESQ-1, VFX-SD

Behringer DeepMind12, Model D, Odyssey, 2600/Roland RD-1000/Arturia Keylab MKII 61

Software

Studio One/V Collection 9/Korg Collection 4/Cherry Audio/UVI SonicPass/EW Composer Cloud/Omnisphere, Stylus RMX, Trilian/IK Total Studio 3.5 MAX/Roland Cloud

Finally decided to go out for a jog. Was thinking maybe 2 or 3 miles. Ended up doing 6 at around a 12-minute mile pace.
:w00t:

Thats great to read, Justin!

Still going.....6.5 miles a day....every day....50+ years old now....6'2 and 151 pounds. And I eat like a pig.

I have a lot of friends that say "Your day will come. There are no 60 year old runners."

Malarkey. I've had knee issues, hip issues, ankle issues, partially torn quad, toe issues, you name it. I still am able to keep at it. Nike Run Club says I just passed 12,000 miles. Not sure how long I've been using it.

The worst injuries were from two falls while running - the last of which was three years ago. Bruises, cuts and gashes. Just wasn't paying attention and caught my foot on an imperfection on the gravel.

And I'm not a runner. I'm awkward. Slow. Not a natural by any means. If I can do it anybody can do it!