Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Random Thoughts and One-Offs

"Ive rarely seen a good closeup of Chick Coreas hands while playing."

Well you're not supposed to be watching videos while you're playing!

Rich Forman

Yamaha MOXF8, Korg Kronos 2-61, Roland Fantom X7, Ferrofish B4000+ organ module, Roland VR-09, EV ZLX12P, K&M Spider Pro stand,

Yamaha S80, Korg Trinity Plus

"Ive rarely seen a good closeup of Chick Coreas hands while playing."

Well you're not supposed to be watching videos while you're playing!

True - it distracts from watching the girls!

The fact there's a Highway To Hell and only a Stairway To Heaven says a lot about anticipated traffic numbers

People only say "It's a free country" when they're doing something shitty-Demetri Martin

If you are right-handed, you should be able to write fairly well with your left hand if you write backward while also writing normally with your right (like a mirror image).

Just tried it, and....no.

LOL. Takes a little bit of practice. I learned to do it in 4th grade from a teacher who was INSANE about DaVinci who originated it (urban legend...just reporting my experience).

I'm fairly ambidextrous. I can write/draw mirrored or synchronized.

dB

:snax:

:keys:==> David Bryce Music • Funky Young Monks <==:rawk:

• 2 weeks later...

Didnt know where to drop this, but it must be seen. Thought about posting it in the guitar forum, but:

1) I dont know anyone over there.

2) Who cares what guitarists think?

Its a great reminder of what a monster player Steve Howe is. He captures Les Pauls style perfectly.

[video:youtube]

Edit to add: it also may be the only time Ive ever seen him jolly and playful. He has always seemed so dour and serious to me.

The fact there's a Highway To Hell and only a Stairway To Heaven says a lot about anticipated traffic numbers

People only say "It's a free country" when they're doing something shitty-Demetri Martin

I was pleased to see Steve forgoing his pretty strict no handshakes rule for Les.

I saw LP play the Iridium shortly before he passed. He was still doing two shows on a weekday night. His son, who looked pretty damned old himself, was running the board and handling the tee shirt sales.

Les, crippled with arthritis, told more stories than he played, which was just fine with everyone in the audience. After all, there were not many people alive to tell of being babysat by W.C. Fields and getting stinking drunk with Bing Crosby.

Now there are probably none.

Yamaha P515 & CK88, Pianoteq, Mainstage, iOS, assorted other stuff.

I was pleased to see Steve forgoing his pretty strict no handshakes rule for Les.

I saw LP play the Iridium shortly before he passed. He was still doing two shows on a weekday night. His son, who looked pretty damned old himself, was running the board and handling the tee shirt sales.

Les, crippled with arthritis, told more stories than he played, which was just fine with everyone in the audience. After all, there were not many people alive to tell of being babysat by W.C. Fields and getting stinking drunk with Bing Crosby.

Now there are probably none.

YouTube has a bunch of Les Paul with videos, most of them pretty good. The best, after this Steve Howe, might be the Larry Carlton one, with an outstanding female bassist, Nicki Parrot. Theres also Dickey Betts, Brian May, Slash, ZZ Top, Joe Walsh, Zack Wylde, Chuck Mangione.

• 1 month later...

Gino Vannelli is on tour, and if youre in the Washington/Maryland area (November 11, Annapolis), someone in the Facebook Gino Fans group has to sell their good seats, with no markup:

LINK

If you go, you wont be disappointed. Im thinking of going to the Atlanta show on February 15.

thanks, but the link didn't work for me. Maybe one needs to be in that fan club. The show in Annapolis MD is sold out.

I dont believe you need to be invited if you wanted to join it to connect with this woman, then leave the group. She says she has to be out of town for work on the 11th.

She posted this:

http://a63.tinypic.com/dgq2p.jpg

• 1 month later...

Here's a random thought rant:

I really dislike people who don't keep their word. It's happened often during the last few years, and even during this holiday season... to the point of sheer disgust.

When an eel hits your eye like a big pizza pie, that's a Moray.

Its a great reminder of what a monster player Steve Howe is. He captures Les Pauls style perfectly.

I'm probably the only one on this forum who thinks this way - - I've never been a big fan of Steve Howe's playing. The song orchestration and parts, that's obviously great, and Yes music is iconic. But a lot of his solos and general playing, seems very painful and not so much for me. If you want some effortless picking style shredding, here you go.

Some music I've recorded and played over the years with a few different bands

Tommy Rude Soundcloud

• 1 month later...

Annie Lennox and Dave Stewart, pre-Eurythmics.

• 2 months later...

Pet peeve: guitarists who dont trim their strings at the headstock.

http://ultimateclassicrock.com/files/2012/12/Mick-Taylor-Rolling-Stones-Hyde-Park.jpg

http://oi61.tinypic.com/28tf61u.jpg

Who was the first guy that thought eating an oyster might be a good idea?

I've always thought the the first person that ate a lobster was really, really hungry.

Live: Yamaha S70XS (#1); Roland Jupiter-80; Mackie 1202VLZ4: IEMs or Traynor K4

Home: Hammond SK Pro 73; Moog Minimoog Voyager Electric Blue; Yamaha S70XS (#2); Wurlitzer 200A

Andy Richter moved me deeply with this today:

What am I into right now? You mean besides fleeting waves of abject existential terror? Well, Ive been thinking I might learn to play an instrument.

"I want to be an intellectual, but I don't have the brainpower.
  The absent-mindedness, I've got that licked."
        ~ John Cleese

Great news! And some history I did not know.

http://i66.tinypic.com/zvj2f.jpg

• 2 months later...

Apple Warns Customers to Stop Using Some MacBook Pro Laptops

(Bloomberg) -- Apple Inc. on Thursday recalled some MacBook Pro laptops sold between September 2015 and February 2017 due to a "battery that may overheat and pose a safety risk."

The Cupertino, California-based technology giant said in a statement that it is asking customers to stop using the computers. The problem affects the 15-inch version of the older MacBook Pro. The company said it will replace the batteries in these models at no charge.

"Apple has determined that, in a limited number of older generation 15-inch MacBook Pro units, the battery may overheat and pose a fire safety risk," the company wrote.

The recall notice marks the second from the company this year. In April, Apple recalled some wall plug adapters for international use that could create a risk of electrical shock. Over the past several years, Apple also announced less critical replacement programs, such as for batteries and storage drives in the 13-inch MacBook Pro.

More at the LINK