Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

A special kind of keyboard stand

Ok, here's what I'd need to do: A double tier keyboard stand, holding an 88-key digital piano or controller as the bottom keyboard, and a three-octave synth (my faithful MEK) above it - really close to the other keyboard, and slightly angled.

Now it comes the tricky part: I'd like to place the synth not at the center of the 88-key, but on the right side, lined up with the upper octaves of the controller. This is because I will have to do a lot of reading, and placing the music stand on the left of the synth would force my neck to stay constantly turned to the left. So I would prefer to have the sheet music right in front of me, with my synth to the right (I'll be using it mostly for lead sounds anyway).

The only solution that was coming to my mind was to bring an A-frame stand... I have one with movable brackets, but I would avoid carrying that very heavy monstrosity if possible. Also, I don't know whether the music stand would fit in/around the A-frame stand or not.

Any other ideas?

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Quik-Lok Z-726

We use this stand at church. Instead of using the second tier for another board, we put a MacBook on it. But the second tier will move to whichever side and/or width of the stand that you need. Check the specs at the link to see if that suits your needs.

My one complaint about this stand is that the height is too short to stand and play the lower tier. I'm having the church's handyman work on it in the next few days to put it on a riser or something.

MainStage; Hammond SK1-73; Roland XP-80, JV-90, JV-1080, JV-1010, AX-1; Korg microSAMPLER;

Boss DR-880; Beat Buddy; Neo Instruments Ventilator; TC Electronic ND-1 Nova Delay

All good idea. One thing I've experimented with is I have an 2-tier older X stand that stays in my apartment (gig stand lives in my trunk). The "correct" setup is for the 2nd tier arms to be vertical, but you can actually swivel them both over to one side or the other, asymmetrically. I did it for a bit with my Mojo61, but at 22lbs, that was a bit heavy, and would eventually start to sag. With a feather-weight 3octave board, though, that would work perfectly! You'd just have the 2nd tier arms up at about a 45degree angle to the right side.

Puck Funk! :)

Equipment: Laptop running lots of nerdy software, some keyboards, noise makersâ¦yada yada yadaâ¦maybe a cat?

Thanks everybody for your suggestions! :thu:

Only other idea that comes to mind is use a small, separate "mini" stand for the 12 lb. MEK - like a Gibraltar GEMS, laptop stand or similar.

I had thought of that too. Actually, I have a couple of "pantograph-type" stands, which can become very narrow and fit the synth perfectly. Surely, I would have to find a way to slighly angle the synth - or resign myself to play it horizontally.

Not sure what you have for a base but there is this:

https://on-stage.com/products/view/53972

This is interesting, but it seems to be unavailable anywhere, in Europe at least. Not even a price.

Quik-Lok Z-726

We use this stand at church. Instead of using the second tier for another board, we put a MacBook on it. But the second tier will move to whichever side and/or width of the stand that you need. Check the specs at the link to see if that suits your needs.

This looks close to a perfect solution. Also, I don't have a Z-type stand anymore, so it would be the right time to invest in something like it. It doesn't have the immediacy of other systems, but maybe it's worth it... plus, it's not very expensive - and since Quiklok is an Italian brand, I should be able to find it without too many troubles. Thanks!

My one complaint about this stand is that the height is too short to stand and play the lower tier. I'm having the church's handyman work on it in the next few days to put it on a riser or something.

That's nice to know - but as in this case I will be sitting, no problem!

Rudy - my hat goes off to you, but for my peace of mind, I would prefer industrial manufacturing for things that I'm going to bring on stage. ;)

Eric - Honestly, I haven't been able to figure out the setup you're talking about. Probably, it's my limited English... :freak:

Btw - quick and competent solutions as always. KC is the best!

Rudy - my hat goes off to you, but for my peace of mind, I would prefer industrial manufacturing for things that I'm going to bring on stage. ;)

Ha, I can imagine, although this job was done by a professional welder.

Good luck finding a stand!

Rudy

Good luck finding a stand!

Well, officially I have found it... Hatricklov gave the right advice on the Quiklok Z-726.

http://www.quiklok.com/catalog/files/Z-726.jpg

However, I'm also working on a more 'home made' solution... I'll keep you guys posted. :)

I've been gigging this for a few years now...with the Z726 you can fit a small utility shelf which is where I put my MXR100 and Vent - the shelf is height and angle adjustable

46586794844_a530da2cd6_z.jpgMellotron4000D by Alan Pearson, on Flickr

Yamaha CP70B;Roland XP30/AXSynth/Fantom/FA76/XR;Hammond XK3C SK2; Korg Kronos 73;ProSoloist Rack+; ARP ProSoloist; Mellotron M4000D; GEM Promega2; Hohner Pianet N, Roland V-Grand,Voyager XL, RMI

K&M 188810 or 188820 with the optional stackers... I believe the stackers can be placed at pretty much any location you want.

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)