Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Heads-up: SpaceStation keyboard amp is apparently back

Actually, there are a distributor, (still) in the Euro zone

https://www.motionsound.co.uk/#

And I should have to wait if I want to get the KP-500S. It costs twice what the SSV3 costs.

And it sounds twice as good at least. It also has four times as many inputs. And it is half as difficult to find the best position for it.

;-)

LIFE IS SHORT, GO GET THE GEAR YOU WANT ;-)

Actually, there are a distributor, (still) in the Euro zone

https://www.motionsound.co.uk/#

And I should have to wait if I want to get the KP-500S. It costs twice what the SSV3 costs.

And it sounds twice as good at least. It also has four times as many inputs. And it is half as difficult to find the best position for it.

;-)

I'll need some advanced math to work that out. :laugh:

You sold me.

I'm not getting any amp. For now.

I'll focus on the keyboard first. If I need more low frequencies I've got a pair of powerful PPAs that are decent enough until I figure out how to upgrade my amplification.

Mike, that Turbosound is a cool looking amp. It has the offset line array tweeters like the Bose L1 plus two offset bass ports in the back. It looks like it could almost create a decent sound image itself, I need to check this out further, thanks for posting that. Most of my gigs I don't need bass support but the few times I did having that bass support does clean things up a bit at higher volumes and since it's a full range speaker I can see how it could boost the overall sound with the SS and it's the right size and weight for me too.

Bob

Hammond SK1, Mojo 61, Kurzweil PC3, Korg Pa3x, Roland FA06, Band in a Box, Real Band, Studio One, too much stuff...

And to make my choice more difficult now I'm reading a few pages back WWW saying that the new lighter version doesn't sound good at all. I didn't even know about this lite version (but looks like it's the one I would get if I ordered it now).

Some of us werent sold on the original SSv3. The idea of having to lug a second sub to fill in the low end of a one box solution is an oxymoron imo. Then again, many swear its the Bs knees.

External speaker/sub is entirely optional. I still use mine as a single unit where I want stereo and simplicity. If stereo isn't needed, it's a Bose L1 Compact. If simplicity isn't needed, it's a pair of self-powered PA speakers.

A pair of cables from my NS3C to the SSv3 and I'm all set to make some serious noise at modest scale and acceptable fidelity.

Something else to keep in mind? The Motion Sound stuff (and similar) are highly directional. You get sound where you point it. I think that's OK if you want a stage monitor, but less useful if you're trying to fill a venue. It's easier to get acceptable dispersion with other options.

Want to make your band better?  Check out "A Guide To Starting (Or Improving!) Your Own Local Band"

And to make my choice more difficult now I'm reading a few pages back WWW saying that the new lighter version doesn't sound good at all. I didn't even know about this lite version (but looks like it's the one I would get if I ordered it now).

Some of us werent sold on the original SSv3. The idea of having to lug a second sub to fill in the low end of a one box solution is an oxymoron imo. Then again, many swear its the Bs knees.

The Motion Sound stuff (and similar) are highly directional. You get sound where you point it.

I did not experience that with the KP500S. It's less directional than stage monitors or active speakers which I am using from time to time. Maybe this is due to the V-shape of it's front panel.

LIFE IS SHORT, GO GET THE GEAR YOU WANT ;-)

The Motion Sound stuff (and similar) are highly directional. You get sound where you point it.

I did not experience that with the KP500S. It's less directional than stage monitors or active speakers which I am using from time to time. Maybe this is due to the V-shape of it's front panel.

Good to hear that it's better than a garden variety stage amp. That being said, our friends at Motion Sound are very stingy with specs. I guess that's their call.

The SSv3 disperses sound 300 degrees, so basically full room for the most part. The Bose L1 model II claims 180 degrees, so anything in front of it at any angle. Something like the QSC K8.2 claims 135 degrees (but you usually use two of them) so it ends up being something like 160 degrees effective dispersion angle.

Want to make your band better?  Check out "A Guide To Starting (Or Improving!) Your Own Local Band"

External speaker/sub is entirely optional. I still use mine as a single unit where I want stereo and simplicity. If stereo isn't needed, it's a Bose L1 Compact. If simplicity isn't needed, it's a pair of self-powered PA speakers.

A pair of cables from my NS3C to the SSv3 and I'm all set to make some serious noise at modest scale and acceptable fidelity.

Something else to keep in mind? The Motion Sound stuff (and similar) are highly directional. You get sound where you point it. I think that's OK if you want a stage monitor, but less useful if you're trying to fill a venue. It's easier to get acceptable dispersion with other options.

SSv3 isn't stereo.

The baiting I do is purely for entertainment value. Please feel free to ignore it.

The SSv3 disperses sound 300 degrees, so basically full room for the most part. The Bose L1 model II claims 180 degrees, so anything in front of it at any angle. Something like the QSC K8.2 claims 135 degrees (but you usually use two of them) so it ends up being something like 160 degrees effective dispersion angle.

It truly is. And the stereo does stay in effect, as Aspen said, even if you leave the room but can still hear it. This happened the other day with me when I put on some break music and left the room, walking down a hallway. Also, I try to always place mine as far away as my space will allow, up to my 30 foot cables away if possible, and I always face it toward me, not the audience. Still sounds great from the audience perspective.

The fact there's a Highway To Hell and only a Stairway To Heaven says a lot about anticipated traffic numbers

People only say "It's a free country" when they're doing something shitty-Demetri Martin

• 2 months later...

Not exactly a zombie thread, so. ...

I hadn't played my SSV3 for a while, so I dragged it out for a rehearsal tonight. Several recent band members hadn't heard me play through it, so I said nothing. I'd been playing through the PA previously.

I had forgotten how the little box cranked. Like serious beef. Now I remember why I used to love this unit. It's an authoritative and loud sound when it needs to be. Stereo-like goodness. Unreal.

OK the APs weren't the most pristine, but - hey - it's. a loud-ish electric Dead cover band. Like, not a big deal. And I now know how to compensate on my Nords. I was loving it all night. And three of the newer band members were like "what the heck are you playing through?" The new drummer was like "jezzus, what is that thing?"

Still brings super solid game in the right situations, And more than enough bass for what I do. Keeping mine ...

I need the sub as I use Analog monophonic as much as EP, AP and B3.

But its perfect for gigs where you are feet away from your rig.

The main frame of the sound forms past your location.

I was 4 feet away from my K8s and stupidly forgot to bring IEMs or hearing protection.

Even the club owner kept telling me to turn up since we had no FOH.

Thats why Ill never get rid of mine either.

Never played so many shithole gigs before. Lots of fun but the stages are 30 x 8 mostly, I have to bring my KW Series and Mixer, I make a shitty 100 bucks.

Well this is what you get when you dont want to travel anymore.

Sorry for whining, but yuze guys can relate. Everyone I know says youre lucky to be in these 2 bands playing all these great clubs?..

Im taking the first ticket out of town I can find next year.

I gave up a great Midwest tribute gig for 5-6k a month to help raise a couple of new grandchildren.

What a schmuck. I get home from rehearsal and instead of running downstairs to my main rig I gotta watch the fucking Trolls for the 30th time with kids crying.

I must have been out of my mind.

Hell Ive started from scratch paying my dues a dozen times, once more wont hurt.

Yeah, keep the SSv3. No regrets.

Magnus C350 + FMR RNP + Realistic Unisphere Mic

Oh, cool, I wondered if someone was going to start a thread about this amp. I guess I'll start the discussion off: is this Space Station 3 amp supposed to be any good? Anyone tried it yet?

Save your money and spend it on lessons :)

The baiting I do is purely for entertainment value. Please feel free to ignore it.

Oh, cool, I wondered if someone was going to start a thread about this amp. I guess I'll start the discussion off: is this Space Station 3 amp supposed to be any good? Anyone tried it yet?

Save your money and spend it on lessons :)

too late. :laugh:

• Like 1
:nopity:

• 3 years later...
7 minutes ago, Neek said:

For those of you running Hammond SK/XK into the SSv3, do you run through a rotary emulator pedal like a vent, or just run with the onboard Leslie?

When I owned an XK3c, I ran it through an original Vent pedal into my SSV3. The sim on the XK just didn't cut it for me. I now own an SK Pro 73, and sold the Vent because the onboard Leslie is improved enough that I don't feel I need the extra cabling, etc. of the Vent. My band also went to IEMs in the meantime, though, so I sold the SSV3 also.

Live: Yamaha S70XS (#1); Roland Jupiter-80; Mackie 1202VLZ4: IEMs or Traynor K4

Home: Hammond SK Pro 73; Moog Minimoog Voyager Electric Blue; Yamaha S70XS (#2); Wurlitzer 200A

3 hours ago, Neek said:

For those of you running Hammond SK/XK into the SSv3, do you run through a rotary emulator pedal like a vent, or just run with the onboard Leslie?

I still occasionally use an SK2 into a SSv3.  I'm perfectly happy using the SK leslie sim but I'm pretty laid back (too laid back?) about my leslie sims.

• 4 months later...
  • Like 1

The fact there's a Highway To Hell and only a Stairway To Heaven says a lot about anticipated traffic numbers

People only say "It's a free country" when they're doing something shitty-Demetri Martin

12 hours ago, Synthaholic said:

I put those handles on my Hammond Porta-B (L100P) because I was transporting the Hammond for gigs.  And because of the weight of the Hammond I purchased 4 handles and then doubled the metal inserts so that each handle has two metal inserts instead of one.  The strap is much stiffer and harder to move with the 2nd metal insert but should be less prone to failure.  

57 Hammond B3; 69 Hammond L100P; 68 Leslie 122; Kurzweil Forte7 & PC3; M-Audio Code 61; Voce V5+; Neo Vent; EV ELX112P; GSI Gemini & Burn

Delaware Dave

Exit93band

• 4 weeks later...

Oops!

original_5b8b1442-8b9a-4cd6-81ad-945a1f8ace68_PXL_20230424_184207050.thumb.jpg.eb6f22694f091940ec55ae02bcaaf95d.jpg

I have no idea how it happened. I went back to my last gig and asked waitresses and staff and no one found a knob. There was nothing around where I parked and loaded in. Fortunately it's set at where I always set it, so it's not a disaster until I can send it off while using my spare chassis.

• 4 months later...

I have one listed for sale on page 3 of the classifieds on this site in case anyone is looking for one. It is as close to new as you can possibly find, probably less than 60 hours and has never even left my house.

Kurzweil PC3K8/ GSI Gemini Desktop/ ESI UNIK 8+ monitors/ QSC K8.2/ Radial Key Largo/ CPS Spacestation 

• 4 months later...

Hello SpaceStation users!
I got a good price on the MK2 and have been pretty happy with it, however I haven't taken it on stage yet and I see now that there was an update kit that some of you installed to good use. I understand that main 8" Eminence speaker replacement has been discontinued and the new similar speaker from Eminence doesn't have the bass range. I'm still interested if I can improve this MK2.

Does anybody still have the kit's instructions? 

I found the Pittman online store page circa 2015 on the wayback machine. It lists these components:

• All the wiring and instructions of the installation.
  • Custom USA Eminence CX2008 8″ coax woofer, poly cone and foam surround.
  • Two 50 watt L-pads
  • Custom USA Eminence APT50 Mid range driver.
  • Eminence 6.5″ premium Side speaker.

What is the speaker that is a current replacement on the v3?

Is this custom made for the new V3?

Is this available somewhere? or anything simlar that someone has found?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, pjaction1967 said:

Hello SpaceStation users!
I got a good price on the MK2 and have been pretty happy with it, however I haven't taken it on stage yet and I see now that there was an update kit that some of you installed to good use. I understand that main 8" Eminence speaker replacement has been discontinued and the new similar speaker from Eminence doesn't have the bass range. I'm still interested if I can improve this MK2.

Does anybody still have the kit's instructions? 

I found the Pittman online store page circa 2015 on the wayback machine. It lists these components:

• All the wiring and instructions of the installation.
  • Custom USA Eminence CX2008 8″ coax woofer, poly cone and foam surround.
  • Two 50 watt L-pads
  • Custom USA Eminence APT50 Mid range driver.
  • Eminence 6.5″ premium Side speaker.

What is the speaker that is a current replacement on the v3?

Is this custom made for the new V3?

Is this available somewhere? or anything simlar that someone has found?

Have you tried contacting them through their website, https://aspenpittmandesigns.com?

Live: Yamaha S70XS (#1); Roland Jupiter-80; Mackie 1202VLZ4: IEMs or Traynor K4

Home: Hammond SK Pro 73; Moog Minimoog Voyager Electric Blue; Yamaha S70XS (#2); Wurlitzer 200A