Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Full OT Any tips on rats in house!

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I semi retired last year and bought a house in the mountains 30 miles outside of Temecula in N. San Diego county. Mice and other vermin all over the place. All the advice about sealing the house, different traps, mousers is all correct including the point that mice attract snakes. There are lots of rattlers up here too. Rule of thumb when you see lizards the snakes are around too. My neighbor showed me a pic of a 4 footer just laying in the sun three feet from his rear wall a year ago. Both our houses back up to a large wooded open area looking down into a valley. Great view, but lots of critters. I hear the coyotes talking every night.

One thing everybody has left out is your vehicle. mice love to get into the engine compartment and feast on the wiring. You need to leave your hood open by propping it up a few inches with a piece of wood. Mice don't like the light. I was watching a YT vid about a mechanic who had a customer come in with chewed wiring and after he fixed it he wrapped the wires with special tape filled with some kind of hot spice that he gets from Honda.

Bob

Hammond SK1, Mojo 61, Kurzweil PC3, Korg Pa3x, Roland FA06, Band in a Box, Real Band, Studio One, too much stuff...

I manage to get the mice that make it in each fall, either via traps or my cat. The problem I have yet to resolve is squirrels. They make it in through the soffits and I occasionally hear them running in the ceiling. No matter how many time I seal the holes, they eventually chew their way back in. Amonia soaked rags in the space can keep them away for a little while.

Dan

Acoustic/Electric stringed instruments ranging from 4 to 230 strings, hammered, picked, fingered, slapped, and plucked. Analog and Digital Electronic instruments, reeds, and throat/mouth.

Thanks again for all the suggestions

In meantime... this is a complicated living situation, I do not have full range of liberty to do as I might like. Don't ask... literally,, "it's complicated".

So with that in mind

The latest: I have been annoying rats with YT sourced high pitch sounds.

One YT comment says for max effectiveness... You need speakers that can play these super high pitches loudly!!

My Mac has worn speakers and even with these I believe the hapless rats do not like the sounds.

What kind of device/ speaker configuration that favors ultrasonic pitches , can I hook up to the mac to really blast the house with high frequencies?

I might do this in my car as well- I will have to figure out electricity for computer I guess off car battery, but is there another source of power for computer?

I already downloaded these videos of super high pitches to my mac music player on loop.

And also imported them to Transcribe app to boost the pitches above 8K.

Would I want an eq that ranges up to 30000 hz?

This sound deterrent actually has good effect or is it affect?

Thanks

edit too bad because I like mice and maybe smaller rats... but that is fantasy land.

edit 2 Reading comments on YT about these videos.. one says an ad can come on in the middle of an 11 hours video.

Another doubts the truth of the actual pitches or the extreme one, at 20,000 hz

Creating my own combo of ultrasonic pitches in the realm of synthesis, not necessarily MY realm ! I own a Fantom G6, possibly it could create such a recording! Or if one of you is interested in this for your own pests, maybe we could share in the expense?

I am wondering if there is research on ultrasonic pitches on rodents and humans. ?

You don't have ideas, ideas have you

We see the world, not as it is, but as we are. "One mans food is another mans poison". I defend your right to speak hate. Tolerance to a point, not agreement

I am wondering if there is research on ultrasonic pitches on rodents and humans. ?

Wonder no longer...at least from the human standpoint, just Google: Effects of Ultrasonic Noise on the Human BodyA Bibliographic Review by Bogena Smagowska & Magorzata Pawlaczyk-uszczyska

The article alone will affect you. I was asleep in less than 5 pages.

Don

"Yes, on occasion I do talk to myself, sometimes I need an expert's opinion."

Alesis DG8, ARP(Korg)Odyssey Mk.1, Roland JU-06 & Keystation61. Stratocaster if I get tired of sitting.

Tee, you're barking up the wrong tree here. 1) whether high frequencies actually deter rats and mice is questionable at best. 2) it's unlikely your Mac's speakers would even play these frequencies loudly enough, and 3) it is a certainty that the audio compression used in youtube would eliminate any of these high frequencies, assuming they were even effective in the first place.

Google is your friend again. This popped up in 10 seconds and it's just one of many:

High frequency rodent repeller

Whether these work or not is another question. I suspect if they really worked well it would be all over the news and all the trap and poison makers would be out of business. If you actually see or hear a critter in your personal living space lay out a trap. We know they work.

Bob

Hammond SK1, Mojo 61, Kurzweil PC3, Korg Pa3x, Roland FA06, Band in a Box, Real Band, Studio One, too much stuff...

No, the rats are the ones barking up wrong tree. Listen I have rats very near me as I type this, do you follow me? I do believe the sound makes them uncomfortable.. it will not eliminate them. But under the circumstances, which is in fact what we all deal with.. the circumstances unique to the moment; I would like to disuade them from being above me. Let them hang out in the garage, where I personally have seen 4 of them so far. Two dead so far.

So what kind of speaker, and what kind of synth ( My G6 Roland fantom) could make these nasty-for-rats, type frequencies? Since compression ruins the effect!

Thanks

We see the world, not as it is, but as we are. "One mans food is another mans poison". I defend your right to speak hate. Tolerance to a point, not agreement

embrace your vermin roommates, all resistance is futile. you are over-matched by their tenacity and guile. this is your destiny.

I dub thee RatMan, king of the rats.

The baiting I do is purely for entertainment value. Please feel free to ignore it.

Thanks again for all the suggestions

In meantime... this is a complicated living situation, I do not have full range of liberty to do as I might like. Don't ask... literally,, "it's complicated".

So with that in mind

The latest: I have been annoying rats with YT sourced high pitch sounds.

One YT comment says for max effectiveness... You need speakers that can play these super high pitches loudly!!

My Mac has worn speakers and even with these I believe the hapless rats do not like the sounds.

What kind of device/ speaker configuration that favors ultrasonic pitches , can I hook up to the mac to really blast the house with high frequencies?

I might do this in my car as well- I will have to figure out electricity for computer I guess off car battery, but is there another source of power for computer?

I already downloaded these videos of super high pitches to my mac music player on loop.

And also imported them to Transcribe app to boost the pitches above 8K.

Would I want an eq that ranges up to 30000 hz?

This sound deterrent actually has good effect or is it affect?

Thanks

edit too bad because I like mice and maybe smaller rats... but that is fantasy land.

edit 2 Reading comments on YT about these videos.. one says an ad can come on in the middle of an 11 hours video.

Another doubts the truth of the actual pitches or the extreme one, at 20,000 hz

Creating my own combo of ultrasonic pitches in the realm of synthesis, not necessarily MY realm ! I own a Fantom G6, possibly it could create such a recording! Or if one of you is interested in this for your own pests, maybe we could share in the expense?

High pitches will effect animals and human, but you average speakers barely respond past 20K. So there might be tones that high but they aren't being reproduced. Good high end studio monitors some go up to 30K, but what to look for is a stand alone tweeter you can hook up. Back in the good old day Radio Shack used to sell high frequency tweeter you could add to your stereo system and I had a pair and they worked great. Somebody must make a similar product today if you search around.

The big issue with high frequency tweeters is they are very directional so you're going to have to experiment with placement to get to your rats hang out.

There's a rat in me kitchen what am I gonna do?

There's a rat in me kitchen what am I gonna go?

I'm gonna fix that rat that's what I'm gonna do,

I'm gonna fix that rat.

UB40

Eugenio Upright, 60th Anniversary P-Bass, USA Geddy Lee J-Bass, Yamaha BBP35, D'angelico SS Bari, EXL1,

Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, LP 57, Eastman T486, T64, Ibanez PM2, Hammond XK4, Moog Voyager

embrace your vermin roommates, all resistance is futile. you are over-matched by their tenacity and guile. this is your destiny.

I dub thee RatMan, king of the rats.

I am honored, deeply touched by this. You have opened up a whole new world for me.

But are you like English royalty though? I accept this destiny as RatMan in the same spirit as another nominee accepted Howard Sterns' fartman bequeathhood.

I want to make a counter offer to this humbling offer that I deserve not. Lo, I dub thee Fartman Deux. lol

I suggest you adopt them, love them, embrace them and raise them into a huge rat army that you can direct to conquer the planet.

Or put a big tent over your house and gas them.

Either way is good.

The first part: Feels like a marriage vow

Alright already, I do I do I do.

But as I was alive so close to the Hitler thing, I will pass on the gas thing.

My parting words to you Sir, are these:

[video:youtube]

I suggest you adopt them, love them, embrace them and raise them into a huge rat army that you can direct to conquer the planet.

Or put a big tent over your house and gas them.

Either way is good.

The first part: Feels like a marriage vow

Alright already, I do I do I do.

But as I was alive so close to the Hitler thing, I will pass on the gas thing.

My parting words to you Sir, are these:

I wasnt near the 3rd Reich era, i was of the Ben era - so yeah, raising a rat army seems like a no-brainer

The baiting I do is purely for entertainment value. Please feel free to ignore it.

I received highly creditable info on getting rid of rats (though this method requires periodic reapplication ) from two people who did not know one another, but agreed on same product. Believe it or not, I cannot recall the uncreative name of product. but anyone is interested I will check and leave it here.

I think it is rat bait.. the idea is rats have to eat the whole amount.. and unlike what we would expect, a nasty odor of death, from dying in the house... ( I was not clear on this either , but both parties said similar things ) but somehow the rats do not die in the house!

Apparently the measuring of precise amounts of bait/food, is important, they have to eat it all.

One person was living at a farm

the other worked at a storage place..

I will report back on progress, but I actually hear much less from the rats that were in the ceiling.

That's interesting because that national geographic article I just read said that they are getting smart as to poisons were using.

"Danny, ci manchi a tutti. La E-Street Band non e' la stessa senza di te. Riposa in pace, fratello"

noblevibes.com

i need to ask about nature a the chemicals and why they don't leave a poor dead rat in the walls. I am curious now.

I've heard a sure-fire way is to catch one, douse it in gasoline, and set it on fire.

You really, really, really don't want to be the one to do this yourself, but the screeching will keep all other rats away for years.

I have not tried this myself.

"The Angels of Libra are in the European vanguard of the [retro soul] movement" (Bill Buckley, Soul and Jazz and Funk)

The Drawbars | off jazz organ trio

I heard a sure-fire way. freeze your rat in a block of ice and then float him out to sea. A few hundred yards from shore, the ice will melt and he will drown in the dark deep abyss of the Carlsbad/Oceanside Reef. (I assumed the gender of IMRT's lead rat - apologiies)

poisoned rats are dead rats that stink, they usually die where they live - if they live in your walls or attic, thats where they will die. The stink will go away in 4-9 months so just wait it out until all biological matter decomposes and fossilization sets in. Hopefully a new unwanted guest doesn't move in to host on the carcass.

Otherwise - CookieMan has cookies, and RatMan shall have rats.

I heard a sure-fire way. freeze your rat in a block of ice and then float him out to sea. A few hundred yards from shore, the ice will melt and he will drown in the dark deep abyss of the Carlsbad/Oceanside Reef. (I assumed the gender of IMRT's lead rat - apologiies)

poisoned rats are dead rats that stink, they usually die where they live - if they live in your walls or attic, thats where they will die. The stink will go away in 4-9 months so just wait it out until all biological matter decomposes and fossilization sets in. Hopefully a new unwanted guest doesn't move in to host on the carcass.

Otherwise - CookieMan has cookies, and RatMan shall have rats.

When rats invaded the basement of my old house following massive excavation of the storm drains on our street and rat traps proved inadequate an exterminator set bait stations in the basement. They contained a substance that the rats ate that made them incredibly thirsty. They left the house in search of water and literally drank themselves to death. Nasty but necessary. Within a few days we were rid of rats. No dead ones in the walls or ceilings. No stink. No further infestation.

I can't remember what the stuff was called but I do remember the antidote was supposedly vitamin K. Obviously you want to keep any pets away from this stuff. I would consult a professional exterminator and ask about this approach. Good luck.

When rats invaded the basement of my old house following massive excavation of the storm drains on our street and rat traps proved inadequate an exterminator set bait stations in the basement. They contained a substance that the rats ate that made them incredibly thirsty. They left the house in search of water and literally drank themselves to death. Nasty but necessary. Within a few days we were rid of rats. No dead ones in the walls or ceilings. No stink. No further infestation.

I can't remember what the stuff was called but I do remember the antidote was supposedly vitamin K. Obviously you want to keep any pets away from this stuff. I would consult a professional exterminator and ask about this approach. Good luck.

I do appreciate further confirmation of my two highly qualified individuals' ( and in sharp contradistinction to comedians like Moti Dave ) long experience.

You have just provided the missing link to "the WHY", the poor animals exit the home. I am sad the poor things have this fate... but it makes perfect sense. BTW I am hearing almost no scurrying above my head now. We have killed at least 4 rats. We are using wide variety of methods, including glue, old fashioned traps that snap neck, bait traps.

I wanted to be a chemist in my early life; so, your explanation is especially satisfying.

Again, the both individuals spoke with such instantaneous confidence, making dealing with rats, for them ( a manager of a huge storage facility and a farmer ) a no brainer. This advice they gave was by far, the most conclusive of all the things I read about on line in the past month.

Add to that, the ultrasonic sounds I have used. The sounds simply make being above my head in my bedroom, a less pleasant place to be, not kill them, but that is an additional factor in the poor rodents demise.

Some solutions ( in Life ) are far superior to others, is the lesson.

Thanks so much.

I do appreciate further confirmation of my two highly qualified individuals' ( and in sharp contradistinction to comedians like Moti Dave ) long experience.

You have just provided the missing link to "the WHY", the poor animals exit the home. I am sad the poor things have this fate... but it makes perfect sense. BTW I am hearing almost no scurrying above my head now. We have killed at least 4 rats. We are using wide variety of methods, including glue, old fashioned traps that snap neck, bait traps.

I wanted to be a chemist in my early life; so, your explanation is especially satisfying.

Again, the both individuals spoke with such instantaneous confidence, making dealing with rats, for them ( a manager of a huge storage facility and a farmer ) a no brainer. This advice they gave was by far, the most conclusive of all the things I read about on line in the past month.

Add to that, the ultrasonic sounds I have used. The sounds simply make being above my head in my bedroom, a less pleasant place to be, not kill them, but that is an additional factor in the poor rodents demise.

Some solutions ( in Life ) are far superior to others, is the lesson.

Thanks so much.

Bro? I thought we were buds. Now Im contradistincted? I maintain the ice-float method works flawlessly and you just never would give it a chance.