Music Player Network

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
New Citizens of the Universe video, shot in my studio #2985003 04/14/19 01:50 AM
New&Improv Offline OP
MP Hall of Fame Member
OP Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member
Citizens of the Universe, the funk/soul/hip-hop/afrobeat band I play with, just shot live video of several tunes at my new studio, Unity Recording in Corvallis, OR. In addition to my mostly inept playing, you can see some of my collection of keyboards and modular synths. Didn't use the modulars on this track, but they will appear in one of the future tracks.

Turn up the speaker
Hop, flop, squawk
It's a keeper
-Captain Beefheart, Ice Cream for Crow
KC Island
Re: New Citizens of the Universe video, shot in my studio [Re: New&Improv] #2985006 04/14/19 03:15 AM
nursers Offline
10k Club
10k Club
This is absolutely brilliant, had a ball watching this - thanks for sharing! And you even have Leland Sklar on bass wink

Is any of your stuff on Apple Music etc?

Re: New Citizens of the Universe video, shot in my studio [Re: nursers] #2985059 04/14/19 03:26 PM
New&Improv Offline OP
MP Hall of Fame Member
OP Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member
Thanks! Nothing on streaming yet, we’re working on an album from the same sessions as the video.

Page, the bass player, will appreciate the Sklar comparison.

Turn up the speaker
Hop, flop, squawk
It's a keeper
Re: New Citizens of the Universe video, shot in my studio [Re: New&Improv] #2985097 04/14/19 08:01 PM
nursers Offline
10k Club
10k Club
thu do shout out when the album is out, would love to hear it.

Re: New Citizens of the Universe video, shot in my studio [Re: nursers] #2986359 04/22/19 08:06 PM
New&Improv Offline OP
MP Hall of Fame Member
OP Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member
Next track is up for viewing. This one is an original tune:

Turn up the speaker
Hop, flop, squawk
It's a keeper
Re: New Citizens of the Universe video, shot in my studio [Re: New&Improv] #2986528 04/24/19 03:04 AM
MathOfInsects Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member
MP Hall of Fame Member
Dug the hell out of that.

"
Re: New Citizens of the Universe video, shot in my studio [Re: MathOfInsects] #2986545 04/24/19 09:18 AM
Joe Muscara Offline
Triple Secret Banninated
20k Club
Triple Secret Banninated
20k Club
cool

The great thing about music is that there's always something to learn. The frustrating thing about music is that there's always something to learn!
Re: New Citizens of the Universe video, shot in my studio [Re: Joe Muscara] #2987992 05/03/19 10:01 AM
samuelblupowitz Online Content
Online Content
Love the pocket, and love the sound of that Rhodes.

Samuel B. Lupowitz
Composer. Arranger. Musician. Food Enthusiast. Bad Pun Aficionado.
Re: New Citizens of the Universe video, shot in my studio [Re: samuelblupowitz] #2988064 05/03/19 03:14 PM
New&Improv Offline OP
MP Hall of Fame Member
OP Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member
Originally Posted By: samuelblupowitz
Love the pocket, and love the sound of that Rhodes.

Thanks, man! My partner in the studio owns an early 70’s Fender Twin that I’m running the Rhodes through, that amp is just magical!

Turn up the speaker
Hop, flop, squawk
It's a keeper
Re: New Citizens of the Universe video, shot in my studio [Re: New&Improv] #2988125 05/04/19 01:25 AM
waygetter Offline
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Reminds me of Beck... good stuff man

soundcloud.com/stream
Re: New Citizens of the Universe video, shot in my studio [Re: waygetter] #2991784 05/29/19 07:40 PM
New&Improv Offline OP
MP Hall of Fame Member
OP Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member
This one took longer than anticipated, but finally got it mixed and edited:

Shango, originally recorded by Nigerian saxophonist Peter King, in 1974. He recorded the album that includes this tune in London, but for some reason it was never officially released until the 2000's. It's a fantastic album, imagine a mix of Fela and Sun Ra or Pharaoh Sanders. We try to keep some of that vibe in our version. Our horn players really shine on this one.

Turn up the speaker
Hop, flop, squawk
It's a keeper
Re: New Citizens of the Universe video, shot in my studio [Re: New&Improv] #2991866 05/30/19 12:55 PM
davedoerfler Online Content
MPN Advisory Board
MP Hall of Fame Member
Online Content
MPN Advisory Board
MP Hall of Fame Member
very tight, Dave. Agree about the horns. Guitar solo also very good. Rhodes needs to be louder. wink

A reason why I collect old keyboards is that I feel partly responsible for doing it, responsible for preserving history and being a custodian for these things
Plus, old gear has a story. I like that.
Re: New Citizens of the Universe video, shot in my studio [Re: davedoerfler] #2991890 05/30/19 02:42 PM
MAJUSCULE Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member
MP Hall of Fame Member
Originally Posted By: davedoerfler
very tight, Dave. Agree about the horns. Guitar solo also very good. Rhodes needs to be louder. wink

My thoughts exactly, and I mean exactly. cheers

Eric
Website
Rhodes Mk 1 Stage 73; Hammond M3; Kurzweil SP-6; Roland FP-4, Juno-106; Nord E3-73; Studiologic Sledge; DSI Mopho KB; Moog Minitaur; Stuff
Re: New Citizens of the Universe video, shot in my studio [Re: nursers] #2991988 05/31/19 09:46 AM
BluesKeys Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member
MP Hall of Fame Member
Originally Posted By: nursers
This is absolutely brilliant, had a ball watching this - thanks for sharing! And you even have Leland Sklar on bass wink

Is any of your stuff on Apple Music etc?

+1

Jimmy

Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others. Groucho
NEW BAND CHECK THEM OUT
www.steveowensandsummertime.com
www.jimmyweaver.com
Re: New Citizens of the Universe video, shot in my studio [Re: New&Improv] #2996743 06/30/19 05:39 PM
New&Improv Offline OP
MP Hall of Fame Member
OP Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member
Got another video edited and posted. This is another original tune, the first to be collaboratively written by the band. I get a synth solo, and play too many notes, and, thanks to my Expressive E Touché controller, many of them are not in tune!

We’ve got one more video from this session, and then we’re going to release an ep of these tunes.

Turn up the speaker
Hop, flop, squawk
It's a keeper
Re: New Citizens of the Universe video, shot in my studio [Re: New&Improv] #2997130 07/03/19 05:16 PM
Online Content
Cool stuff with the E Touché. Being a recent Seaboard convert myself, I know all too well the joy of the unlimited expression, followed by the abject horror of the out-of-tune high notes.

"You're not one of us if you do it for the pay." Thanks for sharing, man!

Samuel B. Lupowitz
Re: New Citizens of the Universe video, shot in my studio [Re: samuelblupowitz] #2997171 07/03/19 09:30 PM
New&Improv Offline OP
MP Hall of Fame Member
OP Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member
Originally Posted by samuelblupowitz
Cool stuff with the E Touché. Being a recent Seaboard convert myself, I know all too well the joy of the unlimited expression, followed by the abject horror of the out-of-tune high notes.

It's funny, when I got the Touche, I actually went to my most-local synth nerd store, Control Voltage in Portland, OR, specifically to try the Seaboard. I was pre-disposed to like the Seaboard, but, even after playing for about an hour, I just couldn't gel with it. I know, I'm sure it takes much more than an hour to really get the Seaboard, but I just didn't like the feel of the surface. But I tried the Touche on the same trip, and immediately bonded with it.

How has your experience been with the Seaboard?

Turn up the speaker
Hop, flop, squawk
It's a keeper
Re: New Citizens of the Universe video, shot in my studio [Re: New&Improv] #2997177 07/03/19 10:34 PM
Online Content
Originally Posted by New&Improv
Originally Posted by samuelblupowitz

It's funny, when I got the Touche, I actually went to my most-local synth nerd store, Control Voltage in Portland, OR, specifically to try the Seaboard. I was pre-disposed to like the Seaboard, but, even after playing for about an hour, I just couldn't gel with it. I know, I'm sure it takes much more than an hour to really get the Seaboard, but I just didn't like the feel of the surface. But I tried the Touche on the same trip, and immediately bonded with it.

How has your experience been with the Seaboard?

I love the Seaboard; I honestly expected it to take a lot longer to get the hang of. There are definitely certain gestures and patterns that don’t translate as easily — simple arpeggios and even just pads are tricky to keep in tune, especially on bright or upper-register patches. But for melodies, bass lines, and percussive playing, it’s really inspiring. Definitely demands a different approach, though. It seems like the E Touché is more like a pitch/mod wheel on steroids, where you can complement your standard synth technique. There are times when I’d like that, but I’m having a great time!

Samuel B. Lupowitz
Re: New Citizens of the Universe video, shot in my studio [Re: New&Improv] #2999618 07/21/19 03:28 PM
D
dongna Offline
D
Originally Posted by New&Improv
I was pre-disposed to like the Seaboard, but, even after playing for about an hour, I just couldn't gel with it.

rimshot

Moderated by  Dave Bryce, Joe Muscara