Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

What instrument is this?

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Through my laptop speakers, sounds like it could be an overdriven wurlie or a pianet (?)...or maybe a 1980-era keyboard's version of same. I'm far from an expert on such sounds :)

I'd agree, it's blended with the real guitar so it's hard to judge for sure.

Jerry

I've seen that live video. Good god they sound great (not just that song-- the whole concert). I wonder if there was some sweetening done to it in post?

In any case, Simmons is clearly playing guitar during the intro. McDonald has his own part that comes in later, so I don't think he's playing at the beginning. But the sax player (is that Cornelius Bumpus?) is also doubling on keys-- he's not shown during the intro, but maybe he's also playing there?

I've seen that live video. Good god they sound great (not just that song-- the whole concert). I wonder if there was some sweetening done to it in post?

In any case, Simmons is clearly playing guitar during the intro. McDonald has his own part that comes in later, so I don't think he's playing at the beginning. But the sax player (is that Cornelius Bumpus?) is also doubling on keys-- he's not shown during the intro, but maybe he's also playing there?

I was at that show (1982 at UC Santa Barbara), and they indeed sounded great. Not sure if it was cleaned up, but I suspect it was not. They had like 6 strong singers in that version of the band, and I remember the FOH sound was super clean that day. And yes, that's the late Mr. Bumpus on sax, keys and vocals.

I suspect Mr Bumpas was adding synth part in there to compliment the guitar!

Jimmy

Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others. Groucho

NEW BAND CHECK THEM OUT

www.steveowensandsummertime.com

www.jimmyweaver.com

Man that is a great concert. Good musicians making it happen! Cornelius played organ on Jesus is alright with me. That is amazing we have someone on the forum here that was there. Here is another track from that same show. It says 1981 though? Check out the keyboard rigs:

[video:youtube]

"Danny, ci manchi a tutti. La E-Street Band non e' la stessa senza di te. Riposa in pace, fratello"

noblevibes.com

M

Man that is a great concert. Good musicians making it happen! Cornelius played organ on Jesus is alright with me. That is amazing we have someone on the forum here that was there. Here is another track from that same show. It says 1981 though? Check out the keyboard rigs:

[video:youtube]

It could have been 1981. I thought it was, but saw some references elsewhere online that said 1982 and figured I was mistaken. It was the only Doobies concert at the lagoon at UCSB, whichever year it was. Dave Mason opened the show acoustic with just himself and his guitar player at the time (the guy who wrote We Just Disagree).