Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Casio Privia PX-S1000 ($600) and S3000 ($800)

I like the white. And considering the gloss finish, maybe less likely to show dust or fingerprints?

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

I think we are hearing just the internal speakers in that Christian Rossetti video. It really sounds like a top notch piano. Add a small sidekick amp for a little boost and it's good to gig.

Find 660 of my jazz piano arrangements of standards for educational purposes and tutorials at www.Patreon.com/HarryLikas Harry was the Technical Editor of Mark Levine's "The Jazz Theory Book" and helped develop "The Jazz Piano Book."

Unfortunately for me I need a new board, so the NC 2x, the X3000 / PX 360/560 or Korg PA700 are my top choices.

I'm surprised to see the Korg in there with all those 88 key options. If 61 keys is enough, you've also got choices like Yamaha MODX, Casio MZ-X, some other Korgs and Rolands... What's the key criteria?

Yeah, its got to have speakers. The Kurzweil KA90- 60 watts of power with 4 speakers!!! If thats RMS watts, and they designed it well, that would be a very very capable sound system, like isn't the Yamaha CP300 60 watts as well? But instead of 27 pounds its over 60, right? And yeah, supplementing it with iPad sounds would make it a complete package.

At the moment I'm leaning towards the NC 2x. Just got back from jamming, and besides my hands being super stiff, I don't have the kind of hand strength that i used to have, so my NS Classic 88 was fun but a bit challenging to play. Which makes me think, if I can get 88 notes, a responsive action and aftertouch, I'm probably better off with semi-weighted.

Numa Piano X73 /// Kawai ES920 /// Casio CT-X5000 /// Yamaha EW425

Yamaha Melodica and Alto Recorder

QSC K8.2 // JBL Eon One Compact // Soundcore Motion Boom Plus 

Win10 laptop i7 8GB // iPad Pro 9.7" 32GB

So, two MIDI messages per Note On, Note Off.

And that is exactly why CASIO gives you the option to turn it off.

Some software still can't deal with the Hi-Res (2 messages for on and 2 for off).

Thanks for verifying that for others to see!

As far as I'm aware the MIDI spec implies that if software can't handle a particular MIDI message then it should just ignore it?

The other implication of including another MIDI CC before the Note On or Off, is that those messages will be delayed by at least one millisecond.

So a good reason to switch it off if software is not using it.

Akai EWI 4000s, Yamaha VL70m, Yamaha AN1x, Casio PX560, Yamaha MU1000XG+PLGs-DX,AN,VL.

I like the white. And considering the gloss finish, maybe less likely to show dust or fingerprints?

I kinda do as well. Interestingly, I showed my wife the white P-515 with the home bundle (still in the running with me) and she gave it thumbs down for appearance.

Its not as if shed ever let me put it in the living room or anything, lol.

Yamaha P515 & CK88, Pianoteq, Mainstage, iOS, assorted other stuff.

[video:youtube]

Find 660 of my jazz piano arrangements of standards for educational purposes and tutorials at www.Patreon.com/HarryLikas Harry was the Technical Editor of Mark Levine's "The Jazz Theory Book" and helped develop "The Jazz Piano Book."

Next week get all your questions answered.

Casio Privia PX-S3000 Webinar

I thought Mike Martin did a great job. Anyone else watch?

Is there another way to access this? I used Facebook and it never let me into the video.

I liked what I heard and will be purchasing soon.
Based on the reports on this forum, I advised a band director friend of mine who was in the market (and who had admired my PX-5S) to get the PX-S1000. He took the plunge, received it last Friday, and thanked me profusely on Monday.

He also brought it to work, and I got to play on it. Like everyone's been saying: for its size and weight, it's arguably the best feeling and best sounding self-contained piano and speaker arrangement you can get. Bravo!

-Tom Williams

{First Name} {at} AirNetworking {dot} com

PC4-7, PX-5S, AX-Edge, PC361

Just so folks know- when you click on the Casio Previa PX-S3000 Webinar link, it takes you to a place where you've got to register your name, email address, city.

I don't know why Mike Martin didn't talk about this. I'm automatically suspicious of anybody requiring my personal info, and there are numerous links from folks on this site that i never get to see because they require a registration.

This is a bit different. When it finally asked its last question, I saw that I was thus admitted to a discussion that was live, and had I watched it at the time of broadcast, I would have been able to participate with questions that Mike would answer on video.

Just saying- I would have appreciated a heads up that there was registration involved towards the purpose of participating, which is totally fine, just didn't know what the frell was going on. And it didn't help that there was a message onscreen that said Wait for Broadcast, when in fact the record button on the video was pressed a minute or two too soon, so just fast forward a little.

so you are saying the link I posted for you worked, yes? :idk

Yes, thanks, I trust this forum so I followed the link

hey Jazz+, there are those of us who are legitimately waiting for you to post a review. Please ignore those who felt otherwise.

I concur. i do want to see the review. I think some of us got "snarky" over yet a third thread started by him about the 3000 :)

David

Gig Rig:Casio Privia PX-5S | Yamaha MODX+ 6 | MacBook Pro 14" M1| Mainstage

That was a great presentation by Mike. I can't wait to get my grubby mitts on the PX-S3000. I have already tried and have been impressed by the PX-S1000 and I can see how much better the S3000 will be.

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

I have a capabilities question that Im hoping can get answered by Mike.

When doing a split w/left hand bass, is it easy to change sounds on the upper portion (say, changing from acoustic piano to a Rhodes) without changing the bass patch? Or, is it easy to simply store separate presets with the same LH bass patch and separate RH patches and change on the fly without the volume levels changing?

Finally, if splitting bass for LH and piano for RH, is it easy or even possible to change the volume of either split on the fly? For instance, if I need to turn up the volume on the RH patch a bit during a solo (leaving the LH bass patch volume the same volume), then back down after the solo... Is this doable and easy?

Things get hairy during a performance, and it would need to be quick and easy.

Thanks.

I'm not Mike but can take a stab at the question.

Yes, it's pretty easy to change sounds in an existing split / layer. And yes, the S3000 has several banks for registrations, each bank gives you four registrations at your fingertips. So you can edit and tweak and then save as a registration.

Finally, the S3000 has two programmable knobs on the LH cheek that the S1000 doesn't have. You could program either of them to change layer volume of one of the layers.

Full disclosure, I haven't touched an S3000 yet but have just attended the webcast, but have played with the S1000.

When doing a split w/left hand bass, is it easy to change sounds on the upper portion (say, changing from acoustic piano to a Rhodes) without changing the bass patch? Or, is it easy to simply store separate presets with the same LH bass patch and separate RH patches and change on the fly without the volume levels changing?

Two registrations would be the easiest solution - one button press. You could also set up a layer and use the knobs for balance. Turn the knob all the way left and you have only piano - turn the knob right and you have only electric piano.

Finally, if splitting bass for LH and piano for RH, is it easy or even possible to change the volume of either split on the fly? For instance, if I need to turn up the volume on the RH patch a bit during a solo (leaving the LH bass patch volume the same volume), then back down after the solo... Is this doable and easy?

Yes this can be done as well. Set the Upper1 and Lower1 sound at slightly lower volume. Then use the knob to increase the level of Upper1 during a performance. You could also use a an expression pedal for Upper1 and not change the bass.

-Mike Martin

Casio

Mike Martin Photography Instagram Facebook

The Big Picture Photography Forum on Music Player Network

The opinions I post here are my own and do not represent the company I work for.

Finally, the S3000 has two programmable knobs on the LH cheek that the S1000 doesn't have. You could program either of them to change layer volume of one of the layers.

To clarify there are 14 choices of what knobs 1&2 actually do. They're not fully programmable but you can choose from a list of these 14 combinations like Filter/resonance or Attack/release. In his particular questions there are controls to take care of what he needs.

-Mike Martin

Casio

Mike Martin Photography Instagram Facebook

The Big Picture Photography Forum on Music Player Network

The opinions I post here are my own and do not represent the company I work for.

How are the other sounds other than the AP & EP? I know the PX-5S (used to own the vPX but the 3000 intrigues & tempts me) had really good meat & tater sounds that complimented the main sounds nicely.
You don't know you're in the dark until you're in the light.

Mike, I had asked earlier regarding splits: is the sustain pedal function assignable for either/both sides of a split?

Sorry if this has been answered and I missed it.

Here for the gear.

Yes, me too, looking forward to the review by Jazz+ esp since he also has the PX-360, so can do a side by side comparison of the action and compare speakers

How are the other sounds other than the AP & EP? I know the PX-5S (used to own the vPX but the 3000 intrigues & tempts me) had really good meat & tater sounds that complimented the main sounds nicely.
It has all the same 700 sounds the CDP-S350 and the CT-X series do, including the SFX Set, which is a total blast.

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI