Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Removing songs from setlists?

Yes, I understand all the history of the song and the band. But, the fans wouldn't let them quit flying the flag. Plus they've been adopted by racist groups over the years, including today's white nationalists.

So if the song isn't actually racist and the band isn't racist, but a strong contingent of their fans are, where does that leave you?

Maybe we are being too sensitive. But the Confederate flag is still a potent symbol, perhaps more so now than it was in the 70s.

I didn't intend to hijack the thread. I'll stop now.

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I haven't been in a wedding or "party" band in a while, more rock covers and tributes, so it's been a few years since playing Billie Jean would have been an issue although I don't envy bands having to reevaluate it now, it's such an essential part of the standard dance set. But one of my current cover bands does play "I Want You Back," it's one of our more danceable numbers, but we are basing it on the fairly obscure Graham Parker cover version, so hopefully we can get away with not thinking about it. ('Course that won't help if there are any customers who are triggered or something by the thought of MJ, since, covered live by a bar band, the GP version is very close to the original Jackson 5 hit, you wouldn't really know we're covering another version unless we told you!)

Rich Forman

Yamaha MOXF8, Korg Kronos 2-61, Roland Fantom X7, Ferrofish B4000+ organ module, Roland VR-09, EV ZLX12P, K&M Spider Pro stand,

Yamaha S80, Korg Trinity Plus

So if the song isn't actually racist and the band isn't racist, but a strong contingent of their fans are, where does that leave you?

If somebody did a poll and discovered that the majority of racists like lasagna, should we ban lasagna as racist?

They can't control who likes them. They are what they are and the song is what it is....not racist. Do we have to give up everything that a racist states that they like?

Dan

Acoustic/Electric stringed instruments ranging from 4 to 230 strings, hammered, picked, fingered, slapped, and plucked. Analog and Digital Electronic instruments, reeds, and throat/mouth.

Six of us and no BL. I think the only song on our list that might offend is Brown Sugar. I never really listened to the words until about 3 yrs. ago.

We add songs by allowing band members to bring a song without any objections until we get to about 75 and then vote a few off. I got to play Put It Where You Want It for a couple of years that way. When time came to vote on it, I was the only one who wanted to keep it!

Kurzweil PC4

"Ronnie and Gary wrote the song in response to Neal Young's songs that castigated everyone in the south as racist.

Neal, himself, says Skynyrd was right to call him out since as he looks back, he realizes what he did and hates it." Too late.

Ever since that happened Neal Young is dead to me. Southern man don't need him around anyhow.

"Forget it, Jake. It's Chinatown."

Six of us and no BL. I think the only song on our list that might offend is Brown Sugar. I never really listened to the words until about 3 yrs. ago.

So is the issue glorification of heroin or sexualization of women of color? (Never could decide myself so I'd probably answer with the "Why not both?" meme.)

Still a good song. If I start giving up on songs for such things, most of rock is gone due to borderline misogyny alone. Perhaps the only answer is to stick to instrumentals.

-Z-

• 2 weeks later...
Based on advice to just ignore any doubts, Im going to launch my bands Youre Sixteen, Youre Beautiful, And Youre Mine tour. Anyone want to invest?

I'm 59 forget the audience, I would be creep-ed out singing that.

Boards: Kurzweil SP-6, Roland FA-08, VR-09, DeepMind 12

Modules: Korg Radias, Roland D-05, Bk7-m & Sonic Cell

Based on advice to just ignore any doubts, Im going to launch my bands Youre Sixteen, Youre Beautiful, And Youre Mine tour. Anyone want to invest?

Only if you change the lyric to "You're Sixteen, You're Beautiful and You're My Sister".

Mills Dude -- Lefty Hack