Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Casio Privia PX-S1000 ($600) and S3000 ($800)

[video:youtube]

Find 660 of my jazz piano arrangements of standards for educational purposes and tutorials at www.Patreon.com/HarryLikas Harry was the Technical Editor of Mark Levine's "The Jazz Theory Book" and helped develop "The Jazz Piano Book."

If instead of obsessing with making the new Privias smaller/less deep (which has little or no real benefit)

It's hard to be sure of what all the benefits may be. If it's more appealing on the showroom floor, so more people buy it over competing models, then to Casio, that's a pretty big benefit. Or if it's cheaper to manufacture (which also benefits the consumer if it allows Casio to offer lower priced models with better sounds/features than before). IOW, the potential benefits of a new action aren't strictly limited to the feel of the action.

For me it will probably depend on which action is more accommodating.
I'll be curious to see how you end up comparing the two, including the speakers which I know you like in your PX360.

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

He made a mistake. That parameter is only about the MIDI output, not the connection to the internal sound engine.

Jerry

At 14:10 Piano Man Chuck says

Quote:

"Now one of the most interesting things I've found is High Resolution Midi; now you've heard me play this (plays a passage) I'm playing as soft as I can, now I'm gonna turn on High Resolution Midi.. hold the Function Button down and this key (plays same passage but it now ranges from much softer to loud) Now let me explain in regular MIDI every key is controlled with, when you press a key there's 128 different parameters to indicate where that key is. When you activate High Resolution Midi all of sudden that jumps to 16,384... so imagine the accuracy, that's why I'm able to play so much softer and everything in between. And at first I thought 128 is more than ample, 16,384, that's ridiculous. Well guess what it's not. It really works! It really works! And I'm so impressed with that."

If instead of obsessing with making the new Privias smaller/less deep (which has little or no real benefit)

It's hard to be sure of what all the benefits may be. If it's more appealing on the showroom floor, so more people buy it over competing models, then to Casio, that's a pretty big benefit. Or if it's cheaper to manufacture (which also benefits the consumer if it allows Casio to offer lower priced models with better sounds/features than before). IOW, the potential benefits of a new action aren't strictly limited to the feel of the action.

Or if it creates less of a surface for idiots to try to put drinks on. (Note: if you think this is a joke or a trivial concern, then you have clearly not done some of the types of gigs that many of us have.)

It is easier to wrap your arm around when you're moving it.

It has a much lower profile when sitting on a table or desk to the keys are not at an awkward height. The difference in size is rather compelling.

px-s-v-1.png

-Mike Martin

Casio

Mike Martin Photography Instagram Facebook

The Big Picture Photography Forum on Music Player Network

The opinions I post here are my own and do not represent the company I work for.

Ill be releasing a video this week on the PX-S3000 which should clarify everything and answer all your questions. Stay tuned just a few more days.

Have I missed this?

Yamaha P515 & CK88, Pianoteq, Mainstage, iOS, assorted other stuff.

Those pics are to scale?? Wow. That's pretty dramatic.

Yes. I took the photo thats the two products side by side. The backgrounds trimmed out in photoshop.

-Mike Martin

Casio

Mike Martin Photography Instagram Facebook

The Big Picture Photography Forum on Music Player Network

The opinions I post here are my own and do not represent the company I work for.

I think the Casio Rhodes EP at 8:15 sounds real nice. I think the Casio "Piano" and the "Rhodes" samples both sound much better than the Yamaha P125 versions demoed at 11:10.

Find 660 of my jazz piano arrangements of standards for educational purposes and tutorials at www.Patreon.com/HarryLikas Harry was the Technical Editor of Mark Levine's "The Jazz Theory Book" and helped develop "The Jazz Piano Book."

Next week get all your questions answered.

Scott, I'm pretty sure he meant all your questions about the PX-S3000, not your question about the meaning of life.

Numa Piano X73 /// Kawai ES920 /// Casio CT-X5000 /// Yamaha EW425

Yamaha Melodica and Alto Recorder

QSC K8.2 // JBL Eon One Compact // Soundcore Motion Boom Plus 

Win10 laptop i7 8GB // iPad Pro 9.7" 32GB

Great demo, I liked that he played short and sweet snippets to show off the sounds, and used some of the features of the keyboard like kicking in rythyms and using knobs. Good playing as well, just wish there was 3x the content, going thru more sounds.

Have to say, was impressed by all the sounds demo'd. Now comes the hard part- getting a good enough picture of the sounds onboard so as to help with making a buying decision. Myself, I don't care that much about how much slimmer the new models are, I want MIDI jacks and a few other features found on the PX-360 and PX-560, and buying used I'd probably pay not much more than a new S3000.

I suppose the biggest question is how much better the piano sample and action are, something I have a hard time evaluating being that I'm used to semi-weighted action now. The S1000 I tried at GC felt heavy, somewhat difficult to play, but have been acclimating myself to weighted action this past week with my NS Classic 88.

Is it just me being stupid, or has the section in PianoManChuck's YouTube post about Hi Res MIDI velocity been erased from the video?

It certainly doesn't seem to be at 14:10 any more.

Later today, if I have time, I plan to attach my laptop to my PX560, run up MIDI-Ox and see just what is transmitted when hi-res is set.

I expect to see two messages, rather than one.

The first, the MIDI CC, "BnH 58H vvH" (High Resolution Velocity Prefix), see page 13, section 7.20 of the PX560 MIDI Implementation manual,

The second, the MIDI Note On message, "9nH kkH vvH", with the note number (kkH) and the 'normal' 7 bit velocity MSB (vvH).

I just wonder whether, like most pitch bend wheel implementations, it will just use three or four extra bits of the LSB, rather than all seven bits.

Akai EWI 4000s, Yamaha VL70m, Yamaha AN1x, Casio PX560, Yamaha MU1000XG+PLGs-DX,AN,VL.

I suppose the biggest question is how much better the piano sample and action are, something I have a hard time evaluating being that I'm used to semi-weighted action now. The S1000 I tried at GC felt heavy, somewhat difficult to play, but have been acclimating myself to weighted action this past week with my NS Classic 88.

If all you have really played is semi-weighted, moving to an 88 note digital piano with weighted action will feel harder and "slower" at first.

David

Gig Rig:Casio Privia PX-5S | Yamaha MODX+ 6 | MacBook Pro 14" M1| Mainstage

Tried a PX-S1000 at a GC outlet today. Did not have a lot of time to evaluate due to an appointment, but my focus was solely on the keybed action and the default Acoustic Grand.

Keybed. The weighted action has similarities to the previous PRIVIA line (regarding key weight), with improvements as follows: Key travel appears to be a little less. The keys are 'tighter', don't seem to have as much 'float' as the previous models. With unit turned off, they are much quieter. These contributing to the keybed, although appearing to have similar cycle weight to the former PRIVIAs, likely being a little 'faster', smoother - All in all a nice feeling for weighted Acoustic piano performance. There was a used PX-350 sitting next to the S1000 that I used for an immediate reference, (however, I suspect the key action on this unit might have been a little looser than normal - possibly associated with use).

Default Acoustic Grand. Using only the built in speakers, this is certainly an impressive, and quite rich acoustic grand sound. With deep resonance on the lower end, their internal speakers also providing clear and crisp highs. The keyboard was a couple of inches from a wall, which certainly assists in complementing the produced sound.

You'll see from some of my comments below that if to me it doesn't sound like a grand and play like a grand I would likely move on.

My background. I have played and gigged many years, currently use a Privia PX-5s, before that a PX-350. My 'other keyboard' is a KAWAI RX-5 Artist grade Grand. I typically do most of my practicing and prep on the PX5s.

My performance interest is solo, duo work, mostly using Acoustic, Rhodes and Bass patches (+ occasionally other layering) hence my focus on Acoustic and Rhodes-like sounds. Over the years I have owned various weighted keys, and let go of: Fender Suitcase, Fender Stage 73, Wurlitzer EP 200, Yamaha CP-300, Roland RD-800, Roland FP4, Korg SV-1 sure I've missed some.

Now using the PX-5s with it's extensive array of stock or available custom tones and stage settings

I only briefly tried the S1000 default EP. Will reserve comment on that since I did not have time to download the manual and try to dig out other Acoustics or EPs intend to do so on an S3000 when available.

I certainly see a possibility of picking up one of these compact, more portable S1000/S3000's for cafe work where I may only need to bring a small KC-110 - to only gently supplement the existing keyboard speakers in the cafe space if needed. The S1000 would certainly be a good choice for an individual wanting a good keyboard with excellent representation of Grand action and sound. I do anticipate attending CASIO's upcoming crowdcast event on the S3000 so I can better evaluate one of those when available to played.

As posted above message #2984617, I duly hooked up the PX560 to the laptop via USB, and started MIDI-ox.

As suspected, each time I pressed a key, MIDI-ox displayed two messages, first a High resolution Velocity Prefix message (CC#58) followed by the appropriate Note On message.

The same thing happened on key release, CC#58 followed by Note Off.

So, two MIDI messages per Note On, Note Off.

Akai EWI 4000s, Yamaha VL70m, Yamaha AN1x, Casio PX560, Yamaha MU1000XG+PLGs-DX,AN,VL.

So, two MIDI messages per Note On, Note Off.

And that is exactly why CASIO gives you the option to turn it off.

Some software still can't deal with the Hi-Res (2 messages for on and 2 for off).

Thanks for verifying that for others to see!

David

Gig Rig:Casio Privia PX-5S | Yamaha MODX+ 6 | MacBook Pro 14" M1| Mainstage

A PX-S3000 was shipped to me yesterday from adam at kraft. Expecting to have it on 4/16 !

My PX-S3000 shipped to me yesterday from adam at kraft.

Excellent!

As you know, many of us are wondering if there's a significant enough change in the keybed to warrant getting a S3000, the PX-560/360 have features the S3000 lack, but having the best key action for under $1,000 is compelling if its a big difference. Looking forward to your comparison reviews, esp for the keybed.

Yeah tough call. The 560 is a better pick for a few reasons if the price jump isnt a deal breaker. More inclined to wait and see what the PX-6S and 570 look like post S series.

Yeah, these are just the first boards with this new action. Unfortunately for me I need a new board, so the NC 2x, the X3000 / PX 360/560 or Korg PA700 are my top choices.

Unfortunately for me I need a new board, so the NC 2x, the X3000 / PX 360/560 or Korg PA700 are my top choices.

I'm surprised to see the Korg in there with all those 88 key options. If 61 keys is enough, you've also got choices like Yamaha MODX, Casio MZ-X, some other Korgs and Rolands... What's the key criteria?

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

Oh, I realized what they all have in common... built-in speakers! So that would rule out most of the other boards I mentioned (and the SP6). Casio MZ-X could still be a possibility. And if volume of the built-in speakers matters, it would probably beat them all except the PA700. I'll also mention my "dark horse" candidate, Kurzweil KA90, whose sounds are particularly unimpressive, but functions nicely for playing iPad sounds through its substantial speakers. Might be the best choice if you want an 88 with above average volume.