Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Yamaha CP88 and 73 - Deserve their own thread

Got my CP73 unboxed and setup; just a few first-impressions...

Build is actually more robust than I was expecting. Thicker than what I thought it would be; more substantial. Knobs are all solid, and have that inertial liquid-feel. Even the unusual toggle switches and rockers feel very sturdy.

The action is also a little heavier and more substantial than what I expected, and maybe had hoped for, but this is my first DP in 30 years that doesn't have a Fatar keybed -- sorry I can't provide any comparison to existing Motif/Montage/MODX actions. It's fairly fast, fairly quiet, and has a comfortable travel-depth and bottom-out. Not as fast and light as a good Rhodes or Wurli. I would probably not choose the CP73 if the gig calls for EPs all night long. But I would definitely choose it for a big band jazz gig for mostly AP, and occasional EP.

Sound-wise, I actually like that there are just two or three very different choices in each piano category, instead of a dozen or more like on my Kurz -- I admit, fine nuances are usually lost on me. I will probably never use the "Sub" category sounds, though it will be nice to have a string pad or solo synth on hand without having to bring a separate board for "that one tune". I like the sound set here on the CP73 for the same reasons that I like the Vox Continental -- just a few choices, but all good ones. The exception, as is always decried here, are the Yamaha tonewheel/rotary voices -- still collectively awful IMHO.

Control surface is, actually, pretty cool and fun. The marketing verbiage makes much of the CP73's "one-to-one" user-interface, which is perhaps only a big deal compared to Yamaha's (and Kurzweil's, to be fair) own past offerings that require scuba gear to navigate fully. I've owned three Nord Electros and three Nord Stages that were also quite "knobby" one-to-one UIs, but I always felt they were hard to navigate because all the controls looked identical -- you had to read the labels too much. It's hard to explain, but I like the CP73's controls precisely because they are not all the same: you've got big knobs, small knobs, buttons, toggles, rockers; and they're implemented consistently and, to my mind, logically. I don't have to read the labels; instead, I can key off the shape or kind of control, and that appeals to me, viscerally.

For gig use, the CP73 seems ideal, as I said above, for my big band gigs, and for theater and general vocal rehearsals; this is the bulk of what I do. Due to its limited sound palette, it would not be my choice for a cover band, or for a complex musical theater show -- that's the Forte's (ahem) forte. Nor for a night of Herbie-esque fusion or synth work. But I would totally take it to a country/blues gig (with a clonewheel), or to accompany a vocalist for an evening of jazz standards.

I have a week of dress rehearsals coming up where I will have opportunity to play the CP73 for several hours every night -- for me, that's the only way I can assess whether I really like the board or not. Almost anything new feels fine for a few minutes; it's only after hours of playing that I can say if the keybed is helping or hurting, inviting or repelling, relaxing or tiring. More to come on that.

I love my Forte 7 and its Fatar TP40L keybed, but it's heavy, and semi-permanently installed at church; it's a chore to rip it out of its rigging to take on a gig. I had hoped that the VC73 could fill that role for me, but as much as I like that board for EP/organ/synth, it doesn't satisfy me for piano playing. I don't want an 88-key board, so I've been watching for new DPs in my preferred, six-octave format:

Nord Stage 76s; pricey, too many features

Nord Electro HPs; don't like the TP100 keybed

Dexibell Vivo S3 Pro; TP100 keybed

Crumar Seven; TP100 keybed

Kurzweil Artis7; don't like the TP8 keybed, either

Yamaha P-121; haven't played one

Korg SV-1 73; haven't played one (does it have good APs?)

Korg GrandStage 73; haven't played one

Honestly, I really wanted to love the Seven because Guido and Crumar are doing great things, and I really want to support their work. But I just do not connect with that TP100 for playing APs, and I have to connect with the APs. Did I leave any obvious contenders off the list?

Day one, the CP73 checks all of my feature boxes (as did the VC73) -- I just need to be able to say that I love playing APs on it, and I'll find that out in the next two weeks.

Legend '70s Compact, Jupiter-Xm, Studiologic Numa X 73

The action is also a little heavier and more substantial than what I expected, and maybe had hoped for, but this is my first DP in 30 years that doesn't have a Fatar keybed -- sorry I can't provide any comparison to existing Motif/Montage/MODX actions. It's fairly fast, fairly quiet, and has a comfortable travel-depth and bottom-out. Not as fast and light as a good Rhodes or Wurli. I would probably not choose the CP73 if the gig calls for EPs all night long. But I would definitely choose it for a big band jazz gig for mostly AP, and occasional EP.

Interesting, Brad, because I had sort of the opposite impression based on 20 minutes of playing. I thought the action was light and well-suited to EPs, but a bit too much on the light side for serious piano work. And the pivot point felt non-optimal for piano as compared to the CP88. The difference in our perspective might be because my fingers are on a TP100 action most of the time, which is decidedly a heavy action.

We can agree that the CP Hammond patches suck.

I would also agree that it's very easy to write off (or write on) a keyboard based on a brief audition, when what you really need is a week or two of intensive playing to know if it will work.

Gigging: Crumar Mojo 61, Hammond SKPro

Home: Vintage Vibe 64

I would probably not choose the CP73 if the gig calls for EPs all night long. But I would definitely choose it for a big band jazz gig for mostly AP, and occasional EP.

Funny that you say the CP73 action feels good for AP, so-so for EP, and Adan posted the reverse. You guys are no help! ;-)

The marketing verbiage makes much of the CP73's "one-to-one" user-interface, which is perhaps only a big deal compared to Yamaha's (and Kurzweil's, to be fair) own past offerings that require scuba gear to navigate fully. I've owned three Nord Electros and three Nord Stages that were also quite "knobby" one-to-one UIs

Yes, you've enjoyed one-to-one knobiness before as Nords are famous for, but that is still the exception rather than the rule, and yes, not something we have generally seen from Yamaha or Kurzweil. Roland has some of that in the VR series, but not in the RD, FP, DS, or FA lines. Korg goes that way with the SV1, Grandstage Vox, but not Kross, Krome, Kronos.

I've owned three Nord Electros and three Nord Stages that were also quite "knobby" one-to-one UIs, but I always felt they were hard to navigate because all the controls looked identical -- you had to read the labels too much. It's hard to explain, but I like the CP73's controls precisely because they are not all the same: you've got big knobs, small knobs, buttons, toggles, rockers; and they're implemented consistently and, to my mind, logically. I don't have to read the labels; instead, I can key off the shape or kind of control, and that appeals to me, viscerally.

Yes, while Nord benefits from some differentiation via logical groupings and some size differences, I agree, more differentiation as on the CP is better. It's something I kind of mentioned in preferring the CP aesthetic to the structurally/operationally similar Kawai MP11SE.

I love my Forte 7 and its Fatar TP40L keybed, but it's heavy, and semi-permanently installed at church; it's a chore to rip it out of its rigging to take on a gig. I had hoped that the VC73 could fill that role for me, but as much as I like that board for EP/organ/synth, it doesn't satisfy me for piano playing. I don't want an 88-key board, so I've been watching for new DPs in my preferred, six-octave format:

Nord Stage 76s; pricey, too many features

Nord Electro HPs; don't like the TP100 keybed

Dexibell Vivo S3 Pro; TP100 keybed

Crumar Seven; TP100 keybed

Kurzweil Artis7; don't like the TP8 keybed, either

Yamaha P-121; haven't played one

Korg SV-1 73; haven't played one (does it have good APs?)

Korg GrandStage 73; haven't played one

Honestly, I really wanted to love the Seven because Guido and Crumar are doing great things, and I really want to support their work. But I just do not connect with that TP100 for playing APs, and I have to connect with the APs. Did I leave any obvious contenders off the list?

A used Stage 2 76 (NOT a Stage 2EX)... might work nicely for you. Maybe even the earlier models, too. I know, you don't need everything it has, but it may have the sounds, feel, and travel weight you want, which is going to be a hard combination to find, you may have to also get things you don't care about. I suspect that and Grandstage might be your best bets.

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

Its my understanding the Vel Sens Depth & Offset are not part of the CP4 SCM. Are these not on the new models? For me, theyre fundamental on CP4.

My sentiments exactly.

I searched for these in the owner's manuals on the new models, couldn't find them.

I don't know why they would be part of or limited to SCM. Seems like they're an essential element of how the keyboard translates player input into MIDI output values.

Mike

I would probably not choose the CP73 if the gig calls for EPs all night long. But I would definitely choose it for a big band jazz gig for mostly AP, and occasional EP.

I had sort of the opposite impression based on 20 minutes of playing. I thought the action was light and well-suited to EPs, but a bit too much on the light side for serious piano work.

Funny that you say the CP73 action feels good for AP, so-so for EP, and Adan posted the reverse. You guys are no help! ;-)

Ha! It's all in our personal preferences, isn't it. I just happen to prefer lighter weighted actions across the board (pun intended), both on APs and EPs, real or digital. And I like my EPs lighter than my APs, so I'm never going to be completely satisfied playing both on a single board. That's why I'm happier playing EPs on the VC73, and APs on the CP73 (and the Forte, for the same reason). Adan probably skews the other way, and I've certainly never done any "serious piano work" myself. :blush:

I've played Rhodes all my life, and although the action is often maligned, when setup right it's lightning fast and effortless to play because there's very little mass in the keybed to get moving. I also like the lighter, faster grand piano actions with the "helper" springs. Maybe I just have wimpy finger muscles.

Watch, I'll flip-flop after playing the CP every day for awhile; place your bets. :laugh:

I played the CP88 for about an hour today at GC. I can definitely see myself owning one. I don't particularly like the toggle on/off switches for the three sound sources and the knobs for instrument selection, but they're not dealbreakers. Otherwise, it's very Nord-like and something I'd love to have and play.

I'm thinking about how to replace the MODX8, though. As a bottom-tier board it's not quite right for me. I played the MODX7 too, and as a top-tier board it's perfect for 90% of my gigs. The action is very short, but consistent and snappy. Definitely a class up from the Krome.

But I still yearn for aftertouch, so maybe a used Motif XF7, or go the whole hog and just get the Montage 7. Don't need it for the regular gigs, but I miss it every time I do a synth solo.

I played the CP88 for about an hour today at GC. I can definitely see myself owning one. I don't particularly like the toggle on/off switches for the three sound sources and the knobs for instrument selection, but they're not dealbreakers. Otherwise, it's very Nord-like and something I'd love to have and play.

I'm thinking about how to replace the MODX8, though. As a bottom-tier board it's not quite right for me. I played the MODX7 too, and as a top-tier board it's perfect for 90% of my gigs. The action is very short, but consistent and snappy. Definitely a class up from the Krome.

But I still yearn for aftertouch, so maybe a used Motif XF7, or go the whole hog and just get the Montage 7. Don't need it for the regular gigs, but I miss it every time I do a synth solo.

Go for the gusto and get the Montage7, zephonic.

Because of the seamless sound switching and improved interface.

If you know the MOTIF architecture, itll be a snap.

"I have constantly tried to deliver only products which withstand the closest scrutiny � products which prove themselves superior in every respect.�

Robert Bosch, 1919

I'm thinking about how to replace the MODX8, though. As a bottom-tier board it's not quite right for me.

Why? The action? Paricular sounds? Size/depth? Interface/egonomics?

I played the MODX7 too, and as a top-tier board it's perfect for 90% of my gigs. The action is very short, but consistent and snappy. Definitely a class up from the Krome.

But I still yearn for aftertouch, so maybe a used Motif XF7, or go the whole hog and just get the Montage 7.

I assume you're talking about XF7/Montage 7 for top tier. There aren't too many greater-than-61 non-hammer actions wih aftertouch. Off-hand, in current models, I think the only other choices would be Nord Stage 3 and Numa Compact 2/2X. (Maybe some arrangers?) But obviously those two don't have the versatility of an XF/Montage if that's what you're looking for to put over a CP.

If you'd consider relegating your aftertouch to your 88, the Kurzweil PC4 could be a possibility, opening up your top tier to the MODX7 or other non-AT board, but then trading off the action and Nord-like operaton of the CP88. There are other 88s with AT, but weight starts to get up there. (If you don't need a full 88 on your hammer action, there are also some 7x options.)

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

Go for the gusto and get the Montage7, zephonic.

Because of the seamless sound switching and improved interface.

Id love to have a Montage 7, but its $2K more than a MODX7, just for the aftertouch. Want it, not sure I should.

Why? The action? Particular sounds? Size/depth? Interface/egonomics?

I've mentioned it all before in the MODX thread, but the 8 is just not designed as a bottom-tier board. The second-tier board partially obscures the display, which means I have to adjust my body position to see the upper live sets. After 6 months, grabbing the main volume knob still requires a conscious effort.

It's a pity, because I love the sound and ease of use. So I'm thinking a MODX7 or Montage 7 on the top-tier, as I don't want to lose all the good stuff.

Aftertouch is definitely a semi-weighted only thing for me. I just love it for proper synth stuff, modulation or LFO, you know, or vibrato for woodwind emulations. In general, I prefer semi-weighted for everything except piano and Rhodes.

The CP has most of what I loved about the Nord Piano, and adds versatility.

[id love to have a Montage 7, but its $2K more than a MODX7, just for the aftertouch. Want it, not sure I should.

At least the MODX supports a second CC pedal, making it easier to assign your "aftertouch" functions to a pedal. It doesn't feel as organic, but at least it doesn't tie up your other hand like a mod wheel does. I think you should be able to use a continuous damper pedal instead of an expression pedal, if you want it to "bounce back" instead of having to manually dial the effect back out, making it feel maybe a bit more aftertouch-like.

I've mentioned it all before in the MODX thread, but the 8 is just not designed as a bottom-tier board. The second-tier board partially obscures the display, which means I have to adjust my body position to see the upper live sets.

The CP88 does look like it has less panel depth that needs to be kept accessible/visible.

Aftertouch is definitely a semi-weighted only thing for me.

That certainly limits your choices of 7x key boards to put over the CP88. Maybe something older is worth considering? Korg PA3x LE could be a possibility, or the older Korg TR.

In general, I prefer semi-weighted for everything except piano and Rhodes.

I prefer hammers for piano/rhodes, SW for organ... but I find that almost everything else, I can do fine on either. And since organ doesn't use AT, that opens up the possibility of using AT on a hammer action for me. I haven't had a hammer action board with AT, but I'm looking at that PC4...

Day one, the CP73 checks all of my feature boxes (as did the VC73) -- I just need to be able to say that I love playing APs on it

Well, I didn't love it; decided to send it back. I really, really like the form factor, the weight, and the control surface. But the keybed was just not satisfying for me. Tired me out, and made my fingers hurt after several hours -- guess I'm just too biased towards the TP40.

I have a line on a used Stage 2 HA76, but I would still like to try the RH3 on an SV-1, just to say I did.

My final thought on the CP73 is that it bothers me that all the sounds in the Sub category are, IMHO, unremarkable, and many are just eeewwww -- I would never use them. Hard for me to drop $2K on a new instrument that I know going in is 1/3 wasted. Maybe if Yamaha seriously upgrades the sound set in a year, it will help me overcome my keybed objections. :(

A used Stage 2 76 (NOT a Stage 2EX)... might work nicely for you...I suspect that and Grandstage might be your best bets.

Thanks, Scott! There are two used Stage 2 HA76's on CL, near me; trying to get an audition time with them. :thu:

Not much luck finding a Korg GS or SV-1 in the big box music stores around me; may have to Amazon Prime one if I want to try out the RH3 keybed...

Not much luck finding a Korg GS or SV-1

I really enjoy playing the SV1, but if AP sound quality is a priority for you, it's definitely not first tier in that department. In fact, when I use it live, for piano, rather than one of its official grand piano sounds, I often use its Korg SG-1D sound. But for EPs, SV1 is wonderful.

I haven't had the opportunity to play a Grandstage yet. The piano/EP sounds should be much like the Vox, minus the tube.

YMMV.

I interviewed Adam Holzman (Steven Wilson Band, Miles, others) a couple years ago when he was in Chicago. He loved the SV1 because it "was the only piano that didnt get crunchy loud."

He is absolutely correct. I listened to it that entire show, and after having used one in months of rehearsals, I would agree.

Sound quality of the piano doesn't suck.

Hitting "Play" does NOT constitute live performance. -Me.

I agree, the SV1 piano does not suck. It's certainly usable. (Heck, people are still getting mileage out of the Kurzweil Triple Strike!) But I think advances since its 2009 debut make it not first-rate by today's standards. I'd probably take the better Kawais, Nords, Kurzweils, or Yamahas over it for piano. I haven't tried all of these in gig contexts, though, and you make an interesting point there about how that could alter what you think about them. But there is a lot of subjectivity to it, too. Some people swear by Roland SuperNatural, I'd probably prefer the SV1. ;-)

A used Stage 2 76 (NOT a Stage 2EX)... might work nicely for you...I suspect that and Grandstage might be your best bets.

Thanks, Scott! There are two used Stage 2 HA76's on CL, near me; trying to get an audition time with them. :thu:

Not much luck finding a Korg GS or SV-1 in the big box music stores around me; may have to Amazon Prime one if I want to try out the RH3 keybed...

I also think you should try Korg Grandstage. Same keybed as the Kronos, more AP variety, best in class modelled Rhodes, wheels instead of a joystick, shorter, lighter and boots in 35 seconds. I really enjoy mine.

Day one, the CP73 checks all of my feature boxes (as did the VC73) -- I just need to be able to say that I love playing APs on it

Well, I didn't love it; decided to send it back. I really, really like the form factor, the weight, and the control surface. But the keybed was just not satisfying for me. Tired me out, and made my fingers hurt after several hours -- guess I'm just too biased towards the TP40.

That's why as long as there is a return policy, manufacturers should be upfront on what actions they use, and not overhype it.

Sound quality of the piano doesn't suck.

I'm not picky about the AP sound, I just want to feel good when I play it. Ordered an SV-1 73 from A-Z Prime to give it a try; easy return if I don't like it. :thu:

Ordered an SV-1 73 from A-Z Prime to give it a try

Don't forget to check out the two free downloadable optional sound packs from Korg's web site.

I got to play the CP88 this week at the San Jose GC through some Yamaha 8" studio monitors of some kind.

The CFX sample was quite nice - they did a great job with it. It felt great on the keyboard too.

The action seemed "tall" to me compared to my Kawai RX-7 grand in the studio. The keys travel further, or felt like they did. The triple sensor mechanism seems to work very well. I was able to consistently play extremely softly - which is usually a problem on digitals. So, I suspect the MIDI stream can play velocity 30 and under controllably. It felt like I could play it at the very edge of silence - truly impressive. The action was definitely better than the Nord Stage3 88 they had - which had the typical Fatar "meh" feel - not great, not bad, just workably beige. I'd get used to the extra height in the action, and the control is quite good. Expressive control is a high point of the action.

The e-pianos all seemed flat and lifeless to me. My comparison point would be the 'Canterbury Rhodes" sample and Keyscape, both of which I can get lost in. I found the CP-88 Rhodes and Wurly uninspiring, by comparison. I'd bring a laptop instead of use them. Maybe it was a monitoring thing - I have no experience with the Yamaha monitors that were there and normally listen on much better amplification.

The pads were very bland and generic. I'd bring my OB-6 rather than listen to them. They would do in a pinch, but sound like dated ROMpler sounds to me - flat and one-dimensional. I have pretty nice hardware synths, so it isn't a fair comparison. But, I just wouldn't use this section. Omnisphere or hardware would be my choice instead.

So, my takeaway was that I'd only use the main CFX sample. But the action is quite nice. I'll look forward to checking out the new Nord Grand Stage and see what that is about.

The UI is quick and efficient. Yamaha did a nice job with the board.

If they make it so that it is a lot like the Nords where I can replace the samples I won't use, or put in my own, I could be very interested. As it stands, I would have to justify it as the price of getting a great 88 weighted action that sends out quality MIDI to drive a Gig Performer rig.

The e-pianos all seemed flat and lifeless to me.

Disappointing, but not surprising. I don't think I've ever heard a stock Motif/Montage EP that I really liked.

Ordered an SV-1 73 from A-Z Prime to give it a try

Don't forget to check out the two free downloadable optional sound packs from Korg's web site.

This! A lot more variety of approaches to the sounds: slightly less dynamic on the low velocity range, which some people like, and probably better acoustic piano programs. Plus you'll get more bass splits and some cool layers. You'll need to use the editor to load them in/audition them.

Jerry

• 2 weeks later...

Tried out the CP-88 over the last weekend. Liked what I heard. Electric pianos not my favorite, but everything else was pretty solid. Key action was a little heavier than I like but that's very subjective. I like that they have so many different pianos in it. And they brought back the S700. Wish they had the S6 from the Motif XF though, that one was great for ballads and worship music. The U1 upright was nice. Extra sounds were alright. The pads were definitely usable, wish there was more variety in the extra voices overall. But the ones there were were very nice.

The interface was "strange" but I never clicked with the Nord interface either. Forgot to try out the pitch and mod sticks (last board I checked before rushing out to an appointment). Build quality was very nice I thought. I don't like the feel of the toggle switches as I wonder about how they'd hold up long-term, just seemed a little thin.

Overall a nice board, not for me but nice.

Yamaha: Motif XF8, MODX7, YS200, CVP-305, CLP-130, YPG-235, PSR-295, PSS-470 | Roland: Fantom 7, JV-1000

Kurzweil: PC3-76, PC4 (88) | Hammond: SK Pro 73 | Korg: Triton LE 76, N1R, X5DR | Emu: Proteus/1 | Casio: CT-370 | Novation: Launchkey 37 MK3 | Technics: WSA1R

Former: Emu Proformance Plus & Mo'Phatt, Korg Krome 61, Roland Fantom XR & JV-1010, Yamaha MX61, Behringer CAT

Assorted electric & acoustic guitars and electric basses | Roland TD-17 KVX | Alesis SamplePad Pro | Assorted organs, accordions, other instruments

I found the EPs to very good. Haven't gigged with it yet, but that will happen soon. SUPER Easy to program as a controller.

A few quirks I discovered: you get 4zones PLUS the internal engine. Although the 4 zones can be split anywhere the internal zone can be split at One Predetermined point, just below middle C.

Also, when using with another midi device, you will need to go into the global menu and turn the midi transmit channel to off. Otherwise, if you call up a preset where you have all 4 external zones are disabled, you'll still transmit. It took me about 15 mins to figure out what was happening with it.

I havent read all 17 pages but I'll assume someone has gushed about the gorgeous feeling of the 73 keybed that only weighs 28 lbs.

I LIKE IT. She's a keeper.

Good to hear! I can't wait to try one out. My bad back can no longer manage lugging my CP4 around. I'm considering the CP73 as my gigging machine, and leaving the CP4 at home for practicing. The NE6 is high up on my list to try too.

I found the EPs to very good. Haven't gigged with it yet, but that will happen soon. SUPER Easy to program as a controller.

A few quirks I discovered: you get 4zones PLUS the internal engine. Although the 4 zones can be split anywhere the internal zone can be split at One Predetermined point, just below middle C.

Also, when using with another midi device, you will need to go into the global menu and turn the midi transmit channel to off. Otherwise, if you call up a preset where you have all 4 external zones are disabled, you'll still transmit. It took me about 15 mins to figure out what was happening with it.

I havent read all 17 pages but I'll assume someone has gushed about the gorgeous feeling of the 73 keybed that only weighs 28 lbs.

Consider my response a gush, Tony!

I played both the 88 and 73 at the Sams at 34th St.

Both models FEEL and SOUND excellent.

Great stage pianos, especially the 73 for the compactness and ease of carry.

Id get one definitely.

"I have constantly tried to deliver only products which withstand the closest scrutiny � products which prove themselves superior in every respect.�

Robert Bosch, 1919

the internal zone can be split at One Predetermined point, just below middle C.

According to the manual, "The Split Point can be changed from the [sETTINGS] button

->Function->Split Point

the internal zone can be split at One Predetermined point, just below middle C.

According to the manual, "The Split Point can be changed from the [sETTINGS] button

->Function->Split Point

WOAH....how did I miss that? This one of the only manuals I HAVE read!