Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

EHX wins copyright lawsuit against Mooer

We've heard about Boss and other companies suing Behringer over blatant copies and patent violations. Now Electro Harmonix has successfully won a suit against Mooer, the Chinese pedal manufacturer.

"The lift was so blatant that it was said the code in the Mooer pedals still sported the EHX copyright notice."

Good on 'em! (EHX, that is)

Link to article in Gearphoria

"Am I enough of a freak to be worth paying to see?"- Separated Out (Marillion)

NEW band Old band

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I wonder what this means for other import pedal makers, like the "clones of clones" such as Joyo, Donner, etc. They look like the Mooers. A lot of the "big name" manufacturers' mini-pedals look like the Mooers, too; I wonder if they are all manufactured in the same plant and just have a different color/label slapped on them (like at a Samick guitar plant).

"Am I enough of a freak to be worth paying to see?"- Separated Out (Marillion)

NEW band Old band

Dhgate, a Chinese wholesaler, has Fender Stratocasters for under $200. They are even labeled made in the USA. You can buy them in bulk, the more you buy the cheaper they are. I would imagine it is not only Fender.

If I pickup a Strat in a store I can tell what I am getting, but I would be concerned about buying online, especially from a dealer I didn't Know.

Jenny S.

Yeah, proceed with caution with Chinese online sellers. Better yet, dont proceed with them AT ALL.

OTOH, most of my collection has been purchased online or via phone transactions. If the seller has a good reputation and return policy, risk approaches nil.

Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: âNinety percent of everything is crapâ

My FLMS- Murphy's Music in Irving, Tx

http://murphysmusictx.com/

Don't worry about Japanese sellers though; I have had nothing but the most excellent experiences with them (including recently). Due to how complicated it is to deal with Brasil (pretty much wiring money is the only option, and that's too risky), I found a Japanese representative of the luthier's sales and went through him instead. Smooth as silk. And in years past, I have bought other stuff that isn't ordinarily imported to the USA. Typically above the consumer-level grade, of course.

Eugenio Upright, 60th Anniversary P-Bass, USA Geddy Lee J-Bass, Yamaha BBP35, D'angelico SS Bari, EXL1,

Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, LP 57, Eastman T486, T64, Ibanez PM2, Hammond XK4, Moog Voyager

Well, the current legal thinking is you can't get sued for copying a circuit, but you definitely can be sued for copying software. Mooer will take a serious financial hit, and have to promise never to be seen in the vicinity again with pirated software, and rightly so.

Behringer, Joyo, Donner, etc. will most likely not be affected if they don't appropriate any copyrighted names, trademarks or designs (box shapes, etc). I don't know if I feel bad about that, really. After all, Leo Fender never originated any electronic design, not for a pickup, volume or filter circuit, or amplifier. We'd all be playing acoustic if he hadn't cribbed some stuff...

Always remember that you are unique. Just like everyone else.

I spend a lot of money buying merchandise from Chinese wholesalers, and one thing I have learned is that you NEVER assume that a brand name item is the real thing. The scary thing is, I've had some counterfeit goods that I intentionally bought just to compare to the real thing that were made so well that I could not tell the difference. And beware of Amazon and Ebay. They are probably the biggest resellers of counterfeit products in the world. When in doubt, buy from a business that you trust.
I rock; therefore, I am.