Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Official NBA 2018-2019 Thread

Yeah, all good points and I'm with you about just keeping the rookies and let them develop. Every time I talk to friends or just anybody about this they all agree, just the guys develop. The idea of trading half the team including the young core for Davis is just ridiculous.

Still, look how LBJ played this year he was freakin awesome and what a teammate he is. I had no idea he was like that, sitting on the bench and going crazy cheering the guys on. Over the last 15 years I thought Kubchack did a great job but then the last few years it was like the wheels fell off or something. Then there was the Buss family drama with Jim and another one trying to backdoor Jeannie to vote her out in a supposedly secret meeting. She found out, showed up and stopped that. Then she went to court and produced Jerry's will clearly saying the old man wanted her to run the team so now her title with the league is "Controlling Owner". Whether she really knows what she's doing or not remains to be seen.

It will be interesting to see what happens next.

Hammond SK1, Mojo 61, Kurzweil PC3, Korg Pa3x, Roland FA06, Band in a Box, Real Band, Studio One, too much stuff...

• Replies 187
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Still, look how LBJ played this year he was freakin awesome and what a teammate he is.

Oh yeah, he still is a force of nature, and he is the league's biggest star, which is also important for a franchise like the Lakers.

But I don't like the numbers. He is on a 4-year deal for $154 million, let's simplistically say he costs $38.5 million per year, and the 2018 salary cap is at $102 million. That means close to 40% of your budget goes to one player, and I'm not sure that's worth it. Even for Bron.

Hey, you know what starts today? The NBA Playoffs. Full of teams without suck. :poke:

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

WTF happened last night?!?

The Clippers mind games paid off big. But once they destabilized the Dubs, they brought it on and played great. It looked like the Dubs werent even trying.

I dont much like Beverly, but he has been very effective getting in Durants head and disturbing the Dubs rhythm.

Still, I dont see the Dubs losing this, even without Cousins. Durant just needs to get his zen back and not let Beverly bother him.

Greetings from Portland!

I haven't been following the Blazers like I used to, but give them credit for their opening game against OKC.

Their backup center Enes Kanter came through with 13 boards and 20 points. After losing Yusuf Nurkic for the rest of the season to injury, the Blazers look like they could be back.

Kanter just might be fresh enough to do some more damage.

Since I haven't been paying much attention to the NBA lately, I can't say for sure but this Portland / Oklahoma matchup looks like it will be quite entertaining. I will try to get to a screen somewhere to check out the action.

I dont much like Beverly
We loved him here in Houston. He's still a fan favorite and gets applause during intros.

How about them Rockets? They seem to have made some serious adjustments against the defense that the Bucks used and the Jazz adopted. If they get to play the Bucks, it will be interesting to see how both teams adapt. And Harden is continuing to set records. The Rockets are saying they're now a better team than they were last year (everyone else was crying about losing Ariza and LMAM but I figured they'd get it figured out) and so far it's showing.

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

The Portland OKC series did turn out to be entertaining after all.

After tolerating all kinds of immature gestures by the Thunder, Damian Lillard got the last word.

It wasn't the first time Lillard stuck a dagger.

In case you haven't seen it, check out the buzzer beater from 37 feet in the final second that finished the series.

And after that, Paul George claims it wasn't a good shot.Are you kidding me?

A good shot consists of whatever it takes to make it.There is always a physical compensation. It doesn't matter if it is done by the book or not. From that distance it just about has to be ugly.

Portland followers know that Damian kept his cool about all the gesturing until it was payback time.

I was a Blazer fan for many years, even while living in L.A. They were always a classic underdog team. I have issues with rooting for marquee players in major markets (such as the self proclaimed "King James"), so I always liked the Blazers.

They appear to be back. We will see what happens for the rest of the season but regardless, look out for next year if they get both of their centers healthy.

• 3 weeks later...

Curry! Man, what a performance last night after being ineffective the whole series and not scoring a single point in the first half. GSW outscored the rockets 36 to 26 in the 4th to win the series and it's not that the Rockets didn't play well or somehow tanked. They played well but Curry basically said oh no you don't! Thompson too, he's been off the last few games and turned it on big time but Curry put on a show for the ages in the second half.

Bob

Hammond SK1, Mojo 61, Kurzweil PC3, Korg Pa3x, Roland FA06, Band in a Box, Real Band, Studio One, too much stuff...

Curry! Man, what a performance last night after being ineffective the whole series and not scoring a single point in the first half. GSW outscored the rockets 36 to 26 in the 4th to win the series and it's not that the Rockets didn't play well or somehow tanked. They played well but Curry basically said oh no you don't! Thompson too, he's been off the last few games and turned it on big time but Curry put on a show for the ages in the second half.

Bob

Certain pundits postulated that Curry and Thompson simply defer more to Durant when he plays, as it works for the team. When he's not they go in full-on Splash Brothers mode. Clearly, they have not forgotten how to win without KD.

I'm still basking in the glow of the Dub's win.

I think the stat they showed on the screen is we're 30-4 when Steph plays but KD does not. The drama was heightened by Steph's 1st half, but what a performance down the wire.

I kept waiting for Houston to step on the gas against our bench...but it never happened. It will be a long off-season to contemplate what might have been. I wonder if it was fatigue or sloppiness or what that never allowed them to break the game open - or if the Dubs just played enough swarming defense to keep it close. Will Houston ownership part ways with D'Antoni at the end of all this? Close games each one of them, hats off to a strong opponent.

We find out who's Tuesday's opponent will be tonight.

As a Suns fan, I'm disappointed for Mike D'Antoni. He revolutionized the game, but he's never been able to take a team all the way.

The Warriors may not have the bench they had in 2015, but it was good enough to not undermine Steph Curry's clutch performance.

My congrats to Tim and our other Warriors fans. My condolences to Joe.

Best,

Geoff

My Blue Someday appears on Apple Music | Spotify | YouTube | Amazon

I never understood the people that buried the Dubs because Durant went out. Sure they don't have all the pieces to their team as they did before, but even without KD on the floor they have an incredible amount of fire power.....

The Warriors also have Steve Kerr. He has something to do with their run.

Why fit in, when you were born to stand out ?

My Soundcloud with many originals:

[70's Songwriter]

Certain pundits postulated that Curry and Thompson simply defer more to Durant when he plays, as it works for the team. When he's not they go in full-on Splash Brothers mode. Clearly, they have not forgotten how to win without KD.

That's my impression. But then I wonder how amazing the team would be if they all were on all the time. It seems like that would really be unbeatable.

I wonder if it was fatigue or sloppiness or what that never allowed them to break the game open - or if the Dubs just played enough swarming defense to keep it close. Will Houston ownership part ways with D'Antoni at the end of all this? Close games each one of them, hats off to a strong opponent.
It's kind of bizarre, right? All five games were fairly close, I never felt like the Rockets played weakly nor were out of it for the entire game, but same for the Warriors. I'm pretty sure both defenses were on as much as you could be against opponents with such firepower. Even though it didn't go to seven games, this might be the closest series we get for all of this year's playoffs in that regard.

My condolences to Joe.
Thanks, Geoff, but my wife needs it more than I do. She's still pretty bummed.

I still sometimes wonder just how important the coach is. Anybody who has the resume and rises to the level of a NBA head coach knows what he's doing. The older I get and the more I watch it really does seem to boil down to the players. As long as a coach has good people skills (they all do) and knows how to manage a game (they all do), the best players win. That was the knock on Phil Jackson being the best coach ever. He had MJ, then Shaq and Kobe.

Switch Kerr and D'Antoni and I think the Dubs still win. Look at Luke. He coached them to what, 30-5 or something when Kerr went down and suddenly he's the hottest new thing in the league? The Lakers signed him immediately because there were 2 or 3 other teams ready to do so too. The best coach ever can't do much with a mediocre team while an average coach can suddenly win a championship with the right group.

Bob

I still sometimes wonder just how important the coach is. Anybody who has the resume and rises to the level of a NBA head coach knows what he's doing. The older I get and the more I watch it really does seem to boil down to the players. As long as a coach has good people skills (they all do) and knows how to manage a game (they all do), the best players win. That was the knock on Phil Jackson being the best coach ever. He had MJ, then Shaq and Kobe.

Switch Kerr and D'Antoni and I think the Dubs still win. Look at Luke. He coached them to what, 30-5 or something when Kerr went down and suddenly he's the hottest new thing in the league? The Lakers signed him immediately because there were 2 or 3 other teams ready to do so too. The best coach ever can't do much with a mediocre team while an average coach can suddenly win a championship with the right group.

Bob

I think Kerr is a difference maker. 1 example-I don't believe Draymond Green is easy to ' coach'.

Did Kerr give up on Steph Curry during his scoreless 1st half on Game 6 ?

He knows Curry gets into a cold spell. Pulling him for Quinn was a coaches move.

How is it decided to plug in to the court, what players at 1 time ? Against a suitably tough opponent. Several factors here.

I know the NBA is considered a players league. I think its obvious that most of the stars have big egos. They want their looks and their stats/points.

And of course, look at Kerr's consistency at winning championships. He is smart enough to allow the players take all the limelight. Being a head coach is a political job.

You can have 6 unbelievably talented players on a team but if there are not coached carefully, there will be disruption and blowups. Lots of emotion out there to handle.

[70's Songwriter]

Bob

I think Kerr is a difference maker. 1 example-I don't believe Draymond Green is easy to ' coach'.

He knows Curry gets into a cold spell. Pulling him for Quinn was a coaches move.

How is it decided to plug in to the court, what players at 1 time ? Against a suitably tough opponent. Several factors here.

I know the NBA is considered a players league. I think its obvious that most of the stars have big egos. They want their looks and their stats/points.

And of course, look at Kerr's consistency at winning championships. He is smart enough to allow the players take all the limelight. Being a head coach is a political job.

You can have 6 unbelievably talented players on a team but if there are not coached carefully, there will be disruption and blowups. Lots of emotion out there to handle.

If youre interested, this was an excellent profile, and Kerr basically confirms your point about his job being political.

https://www.cbsnews.com/video/golden-state-warriors-the-talent-and-mindset-behind-the-nba-reigning-dynasty-60-minutes/

The fact there's a Highway To Hell and only a Stairway To Heaven says a lot about anticipated traffic numbers

People only say "It's a free country" when they're doing something shitty-Demetri Martin

Bob

If youre interested, this was an excellent profile, and Kerr basically confirms your point about his job being political.

https://www.cbsnews.com/video/golden-state-warriors-the-talent-and-mindset-behind-the-nba-reigning-dynasty-60-minutes/

Thanks, I enjoyed that 'look inside ' by 60 Minutes.

Kerr says 80% of his job is psychology. For example, he works to coordinate fun activities with the team outside the court. With this current lineup- they go bowling.

I would guess many NBA coaches tend to be control freaks or micro managers. I am likely wrong, but I have always believed being a control freak is a counter productive and a negative.

[70's Songwriter]

I feel sorry for Portland, I kinda hoped theyd steal at least one win for honor, but these Dubs were just too much.

No Cousins, no KD, no Iggy: no problem.

In a way, I actually prefer the way the Dubs play without Durant. Theres just much more room to play for the other guys. Theyre definitely not as strong in the paint without him, though.

I dont think the Raptors will have enough elasticity to stop the Bucks, and the Bucks dont have enough experience to beat GSW.

Portland person here....

It was extremely heartbreaking to see the Blazers choke. They just couldn't deliver at the end of games with Golden State.

We will see if anybody else can - again.

I kind of feel like Portland is the Brooklyn Dodgers and Golden State is the Yankees.

Portland has had so many setbacks. So many injured Centers. Greg Oden was a huge bust, and this season Jusuf Nurkic went down. This all goes back to Bill Walton over 40 years ago.

The good news was - two guys got huge opportunities in the playoffs. Rodney Hood ( who helped beat Denver and OKC ) and Meyers Leonard, who scored 30 against the Warriors last night.

The future may be bright with Leonard because of his renewed confidence . It is of some consolation that Portland could have Leonard, Zach Collins , not to mention Hood and ( hopefully ) a healthy Nurkic.

Throw Lillard and McCollum into that mix and please, get some forwards who can score.

The Blazers could be dangerous next year. No one expected that they would make the Western Conference finals. And they had big leads in just about every game but unfortunately choked in every game.

Portland person here....

It was extremely heartbreaking to see the Blazers choke. They just couldn't deliver at the end of games with Golden State.

We will see if anybody else can - again.

I kind of feel like Portland is the Brooklyn Dodgers and Golden State is the Yankees.

Portland has had so many setbacks. So many injured Centers. Greg Oden was a huge bust, and this season Jusuf Nurkic went down. This all goes back to Bill Walton over 40 years ago.

The good news was - two guys got huge opportunities in the playoffs. Rodney Hood ( who helped beat Denver and OKC ) and Meyers Leonard, who scored 30 against the Warriors last night.

The future may be bright with Leonard because of his renewed confidence . It is of some consolation that Portland could have Leonard, Zach Collins , not to mention Hood and ( hopefully ) a healthy Nurkic.

Throw Lillard and McCollum into that mix and please, get some forwards who can score.

The Blazers could be dangerous next year. No one expected that they would make the Western Conference finals. And they had big leads in just about every game but unfortunately choked in every game.

I like your team. I think the Blazers have a lot of talent and class. I noticed the team and even the media stayed positive despite the result.

Keep in mind, your team was up against the Warriors, a team with experience, the big guns, the coaching expertise etc etc. margin of victory was very narrow and most games were hard fought battles to the end.

I don't see ' choke '.

[70's Songwriter]

Sir Charles, my favorite comedian:

from Barkley after Kevin Durant's injury in Game 5 of the Western Conference Semifinals against the Houston Rockets: "The Warriors ain't got no chance of winning without Kevin Durant. This series or any other series... they're not going to beat the Rockets without KD, and they're not going to beat Portland or Denver without KD."

[70's Songwriter]