Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

A Rite of Passage and "Surfergirl"

Fred_C

It's funny how a single word can stimulate highly detailed memories.

I was 14 years old in 1964 and was invited to a party. It was on this occasion that I "slow danced" for the first time with a real live girl. The song was "Surfer Girl" by the Beach Boys.

I had just started playing guitar and immediately learned the chords to the song (It's a straightforward I vi ii V7 progression).

My thanks to Surfergirl for resurrecting this nice memory.

If you play cool, you are cool.

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

And it IS a nice memory to have. But I'm kinda curious......

Who was the girl, and whatever became of her?

I can't recall the song that I first "slow danced" with a "real live girl" to, but I certainly recall the girl! BEVERLY NORTON, who asked ME to dance because she wanted to make her boyfriend jealous( HA! Imagine! :crazy: )

It must have oddly worked because six years later they married and last I heard, they moved to Michigan's UP where they spend their time with about a dozen grandchildren. :cool:

Whitefang

I started out with NOTHING...and I still have most of it left!

I was 14 in 1964 too Fred! I was dancing to Surfer Girl by the Beach Boys when it came out in 1963. My 1st dance was a year before in 1962 and the song was Town Without Pitty. I remember my 1st girlfriend from those days. The Surfer Girl album came out the same year as the single. The B side of the Surfer Girl single was Little Duece Coupe. Here's the Beach Boys live back in '63 doing the B side. Check out how the kids (like us) in the audience looked back in the day. I had a shirt just like the one they are wearing. I notice they all played white Fender guitars too! Mike Love singing lead:

[video:youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8g1HtpTonJI

:cool:

Take care, Larryz

Bro. Larry,

Could our backgrounds and experiences possibly be any more similar?!

We really are brothers from different parents!

I still love the Beach Boys. My favorite BB's song is "Help Me Rhonda".

I was 14 years old in 1964 and was invited to a party. It was on this occasion that I "slow danced" for the first time with a real live girl.

Mine was in the late 50's and I surely liked the up closeness when I danced with the girlies back in the day.

At The Long Beach Township police station they dedicated a room to "The Youth Club", a dance they had every Thursday night. I was dancing with the girlies and enjoying the feel of that closeness way back then. But that was pre Beach Boys, my experience was with the Temptations and Miracles and other 50's groups era.

Yeah d, dug 'em both.

Are you familiar with the literary term "Metaphysical Conceit"?

It describes a poetic technique that was utilized by the Metaphysical poets in 17th century. It is defined as "the forceful juxtaposition of opposites to achieve an effect". If you want to read some manly, ballsy poetry, read "The Apparition" by John Donne. You'll like it!

The reason I mention this is because when I watched the videos you posted, I thought to myself, "Wow! What an excellent example of a "Metaphysical Conceit!

Well done!

Bro. Larry,

Could our backgrounds and experiences possibly be any more similar?!

We really are brothers from different parents!

I still love the Beach Boys. My favorite BB's song is "Help Me Rhonda".

+1 Brother Fred, we are two of a kind! I don't think I could pick just one of their songs, as the Beach Boys did so many great hits! They were just fantastic with their musical skills (i.e writing, lead vocals, harmonies, instrument playing, the look, etc.). They helped make the surfing music world come alive and are in a catagory of founding fathers IMHO. True American icons! :cool:

Take care, Larryz

Ok, has nothing to do with music, but surfing history happened last weekend. The opening of the 2019 season and women will be receiving equal prize money with men. I believe it is the first sport with equal pay. 17yo Caroline Marks took home a cool $100,000.

20 years to late for my mom, who retired after 2 years to be a mom.

Jenny S.

20 years too late for my mom, who retired after 2 years to be a mom.

;)

I think my ex, my Mom, sister and every Mother I know would agree.....

Surfing sounds a lot easier! ;) AND less dangerous! :laugh:

But sure (and to ward off needless flaming) not as rewarding. :)

Whitefang

I started out with NOTHING...and I still have most of it left!

:like: Surfer Girl

Good luck, hard work, skill and a love for the sport will put you in the money some day (hopefully this season!). I coached my son's soccer team for 7 years and before every game, I would tell the team to give it your best shot and show them you love the game! Wishing you all the success this season and those seasons to come! :cool:

Take care, Larryz

:like: Surfer Girl

Good luck, hard work, skill and a love for the sport will put you in the money some day (hopefully this season!). I coached my son's soccer team for 7 years and before every game, I would tell the team to give it your best shot and show them you love the game! Wishing you all the success this season and those seasons to come! :cool:

You have to be great to make money surfing. I am only good. My mom was, and still is, great.

As best I can recall my first slow dance was to Golden by Lady Antebellum at a wedding reception.

We do not do any surf music, but I love listening to the Beach Boys. My Grandpa has all their albums on vinyl. I really love their harmonies.

Jenny S.

Golden by Lady Antebellum is a cool song, one worth remembering. Funny how we remember the 1st dance songs especially when you get up there in the 60's. Your Granpa has good taste in Surf music as I have always considered the Beach Boys as part of the genre. Glad you appreciate their music too and can share listening to it with your Granpa.

The way you describe your mom's surfing to include your own skills, tells me it won't be long before you are great too! If you are ever in a televised surf contest, please don't hesitate to let us know all about it! (i.e. Station, time, etc.) Only good surfers become great surfers. Keep paddling out there and learning from each ride. All the best of our success wishes are heading your way! :like:

Take care, Larryz

Yeah d, dug 'em both.

Are you familiar with the literary term "Metaphysical Conceit"?

It describes a poetic technique that was utilized by the Metaphysical poets in 17th century. It is defined as "the forceful juxtaposition of opposites to achieve an effect". If you want to read some manly, ballsy poetry, read "The Apparition" by John Donne. You'll like it!

The reason I mention this is because when I watched the videos you posted, I thought to myself, "Wow! What an excellent example of a "Metaphysical Conceit!

Well done!

Well, the "Well done" would best be directed to Brain :D Wilson & Van Dyke Parks, with whom that particular conceit originated.

d=halfnote

Whitefang, I am glad that makes you feel better. My father was never a part of my life, so my grandfather filled that roll. He was my teacher and he introduced me to a variety of music styles and artists. The Beach Boys, The Beatles, Chuck Berry, Johnny Rivers, Smokey Robinson, Bob Seger, Mitch Ryder, Hank Williams(not jr) and Woody Guthrie just to name a few. He gave me a well rounded background.
Jenny S.