Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Frank Hund Dino Park - get Minimax, Pro12 and Prodyssey...

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

WOW...not familiar with them but the demos sound pretty good. Wonder what the price will be. Midi editor? Hook up to a monitor?

Should be interesting. Very cool.

And they're going to be adding more of these. B4000, more synths, a drum machine. I'll take a dozen...maybe.

Yamaha: Motif XF8, MODX7, YS200, CVP-305, CLP-130, YPG-235, PSR-295, PSS-470 | Roland: Fantom 7, JV-1000

Kurzweil: PC3-76, PC4 (88) | Hammond: SK Pro 73 | Korg: Triton LE 76, N1R, X5DR | Emu: Proteus/1 | Casio: CT-370 | Novation: Launchkey 37 MK3 | Technics: WSA1R

Former: Emu Proformance Plus & Mo'Phatt, Korg Krome 61, Roland Fantom XR & JV-1010, Yamaha MX61, Behringer CAT

Assorted electric & acoustic guitars and electric basses | Roland TD-17 KVX | Alesis SamplePad Pro | Assorted organs, accordions, other instruments

I like the 'maker' oriented philosophy; i am considering the idea to go back to coding a bit and write some kind of synth for fun, and i am looking around for an embedded platform (a lot more fun).

They says their platform is hackable, so it may be interesting. But details are very scarce, other than generic description of a distributed platform that would apply to anything from the internals of a two keyboard Prophet 10 to the whole Internet.

Anybody interested in a KC Maker club ?

Maurizio

Nord Wave 2, Nord Electro 6D 61,, Rameau upright,  Hammond Pro44H Melodica.

Too many Arturia, NI and AAS plugins

http://www.barbogio.org/

Will this run general VSTs, or do they have to follow a certain architecture? (Not familiar with the Plugiator concept.)

For instance, could I run OPX Pro, M-Tron Pro, ImpOSCar, etc?

No.

The plugins incl. the optional ones are the same they had for the Pluggiator and are all based on (Creamware) SCOPE SDK (v4).

Also,- on the mainboard I see only ONE Sharc DSP.

Maybe it´s a newer one like in the UAD and Scope XITE boxes,- but there´s no info about how many plugins will run at a time and what the max. polyphony for each will be.

Nonetheless it might be a cool device, especially the larger case holding 2 mainboards doubling DSP power and offering stereo audio ins .

I always liked the old Creamware "Noah EX" 2U rackmount device which came w/ 11 (60MHz) Sharc DSPs and ran 4 "instruments" simultaneously in MIDI multi mode and latency free.

Internal mixer w/ FX and stereo audio ins for ext. sound sources in addition ...

Noah_Noah EX

SOS article

Would be great when "DinoPark" were on the same level.

A.C.

Here is a list of good things I have to say about Frank Hund.

dB

It is amazing how he is repeatedly trying to find ways to monetize Scope v4. I would presume this is the last version he legally has access to?

Id personally love to get my hands on a xite-1, but almost $4k. Ouch!

Maybe a used Luna 3 DSP is more in my budget. Which one can run Scope v7?

Yamaha CP88, Casio PX-560

Here is a list of good things I have to say about Frank Hund.

dB

Yep. Had the pleasure once and he gets really upset about pointing out flaws in the coding.

But the code they used was so good back then it didnt have VST challenges until 2007, and that actually was VST technology finally catching up.

Pluggiattor was fine for recording but terrible as a stage axe.

Dino must be easier to use live or thered be no need a redux.

Ive been bragging about the quality of SHARC DSPs (21369/21469) for 15 years.

The NeoVent, UAD, Strymons, etc.

Glad developers finally caught on.

Magnus C350 + FMR RNP + Realistic Unisphere Mic

... Scope v4. I would presume this is the last version he legally has access to?

I have the same impression.

he announced the stuff HERE in march 2018 already, initiating a 6 pages discussion.

Id personally love to get my hands on a xite-1, but almost $4k. Ouch!

Maybe a used Luna 3 DSP is more in my budget. Which one can run Scope v7?

You can run Scope v7 on almost every PCI card Creamware released ever.

Have in mind the Scope environment software varies in content for the different cards.

I think it should be at least a Creamware Pulsar II or better a Creamware/ S|C 14 or 15 DSP PCI card.

The disadvantage is you´d have to find a computer mobo w/ real legacy PCI slots (5V vs 3.3V) and because the PCI cards are discontinued meanwhile, there´s no support anymore.

B.t.w., SCOPE v7 still runs on Win XP even it´s made for Win (7, 8) 10.

Available in 32 and 64 bit versions.

But for 64 Bit, I´d wait for SCOPE 7.1 which is in the works.

Up to now, all what´s based on sample OSCs or is related to samples, doesn´t work in 64 bit versions.

And once SCOPE 7.1 is out and runs well in 64 bit systems, you might want a XITE-1D which is much cheaper than XITE-1 and still delivers 4 of the large 333MHz SHARC DSPs plus 6 of the "old" (60MHz) DSPs.

A.C.

I just visited the shop ...

quote:

SPECIFICATIONS

Main Features

autonomous, modular Modelling Synthesizer

load and play one Synth Model at a time

store up to 32 Synth Models in on-board memory

store up to 100 presets per Synth Model

MIDI connections made via USB

on-board effects (Delay, Chorus)

no latency / plays like hardware

Polyphony

Minimax - 10 voices

Prodyssey - 10 voices

Pro-12 - 12 voices

B4000 - 91 voices (full)

Load and Play only 1 synth at a time is a dealbreaker for me.

Voicecount is very good.

A.C.

Not too shabby to get to play some of those models at this price point.

Yep, especially because there´s no need for a computer to do so !

In fact I had it in mind as a welcome and portable addition to my Kurz PC361.

But I also expected a bit more ...

But yeah - no reason to look at it for xite-1 owners.

Different animals (see "computer" above).

I guess they get this voicecount/polyphony because the OS runs inside the box,- like it does inside J.B. Solaris.

XITE, as powerful as it is, needs a host computer for operation.

So data thruput between XITE and computer system decides.

A.C.

And that dog will hunt.

A 1U PC + XITE-1 is the best samples, best FX and automated custom 6 AUX Mixers, plus the SE-02 & HX-3 for added authenticity.

1-BDC33-C0-948-E-4915-87-E6-CA87-F4-E2-A6-A1.jpg

I cant possibly use a Kronos, ModX or Nord.

All great axes too, but articulations and high quality effects have spoiled me.

Dino with a 6 AUX Mixer would be nice but I still need PLAY & Kontakt.

And the K4...I keep trying to replace these but Ive been so spoiled theres no returning.

How is latency on the Scope instruments on your PC?

I´m not "hardware" and he uses damn fast PCs,- but I can tell you latency of SCOPE plugins doesn´t depend on the host computer system as long SCOPE is working in "standalone" mode.

Means, SCOPE plugins don´t run inside a DAW like VST/AU plugins do,- they run on their own DSP powered hardware device in the SCOPE environment.

There´s some communication and traffic needed between that hardware device and the host computer,- for UI and for a few software-devices using the host computer´s RAM and/or share it´s CPU, mainly time based FX and sampler featuring timestretch, but that´s under 1ms or 1ms at max..

In SCOPE 7, the XTC mode like it was in Creamware- or former S|C versions, doesn´t exist anymore.

It will come back as a separate application near future.

A.C.

• 4 months later...

There is an "EXP" version with two DSP boards, I presume that changes it from a monotimbral to a bitimbral box...?

Though even in the lower version, the Minimax ASB was a nice "Minimoog", and if you care more about the sound than the control surface, this may not be badly priced to have something that close to a polyphonic minimoog, even if you similarly just use it for one sound at a time. Though I'd still take a Plugiator for the ability to have some real-time controls and alternate sound engines.

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

There is an "EXP" version with two DSP boards, I presume that changes it from a monotimbral to a bitimbral box...?

Though even in the lower version, the Minimax ASB was a nice "Minimoog", and if you care more about the sound than the control surface, this may not be badly priced to have something that close to a polyphonic minimoog, even if you similarly just use it for one sound at a time. Though I'd still take a Plugiator for the ability to have some real-time controls and alternate sound engines.

I have all the stuff and more available anyway ´cause I own XITE-1 (12x 333MHz & 6x 60MHz DSPs) and a CW DSP PCI card w/ 15x 60MHz DSPs.

Alone the software version is a big difference.

Already years ago we had SCOPE 5.0/5.1 and now we´e on v7 and wait for v7.1.

Dino Park is stuck w/ v4.0 or 4.5 AFAIK.

At a 1st glance, I´ve found the Dino Park interesting to run w/o having a computer in the ballpark,- but already the expanded version is too expensive compared to the smaller S|C XITE 1D which offers far more than twice the DSP power (4x 333MHz & 6x 60MHz DSPs) of the expanded Dino Park.

But it might be still interesting and usable for others.

A.C.

This is what you get when a financier can still access intellectual property rights and add nothing but marketing skills.

I loved these synths, made by Klaus Piehl, back in 2005/2006, they kicked the crap out of VSTi"s but by 2008/2009 everything changed with more CPU power and SSE Instructions.

How is this any different than the Pluggiator?

That went over like a Reggae Band at a Klan Rally.

Now if Frankie boy would put Scope Mixers on there, that"s a step forward not backwards.

There"s still no Mixers on the market that compare to Scope MIDI Automated FX and Mixers.

UAD Console sucks, RME Total Mix should be named Scrotal Mix, Lynx and MOTU are equally lame and they"ve got plenty of power from onboard DSP?

No MIDI?

It"s not like MIDI is this new complex protocol.

Wish they"d break down and add MIDI to their plug ins and unconfigurable mixer.

Sorry for whining.

These guys should come hear and listen to all of us trade ideas about needed features.

I like the 'maker' oriented philosophy; i am considering the idea to go back to coding a bit and write some kind of synth for fun, and i am looking around for an embedded platform (a lot more fun).

They says their platform is hackable, so it may be interesting. But details are very scarce, other than generic description of a distributed platform that would apply to anything from the internals of a two keyboard Prophet 10 to the whole Internet.

Anybody interested in a KC Maker club ?

Maurizio

I"d love to help finance R &R on Analog Devices at the atom level.

I"ve got guys that design Mixers and effects for me using the SDK, but the synths need coding skills unless you want to use their modules only.