Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Is the Lachy Doley online course worth $500?

I would love to learn some of his tricks, tips, licks, thoughts, etc... But $500 is steep. It could very well be worth it. One could easily spend that on piano lessons.

Anyone try this course? It doesn't look like hours and hours of content but I'd like to get opinions.

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I would spend it on life, and then figure out for myself a unique way to translate that life into art. Yes, that's how I got to where I am right now, typing stupid advise on a musician's online forum.

Gigging: Crumar Mojo 61, Hammond SKPro

Home: Vintage Vibe 64

Go ahead, spend the $500. First, videotape yourself playing some basic riffs. After the class, videotape yourself again. Compare the two videos, see if there's a marked improvement or not.

Additionally, post both videos up here, I'm sure people will be interested.

Some music I've recorded and played over the years with a few different bands

Tommy Rude Soundcloud

500$ on piano lessons just give you a mere 2/3 months at the conservatory, 50$ per week in classical and 50$ in jazz....Could be worth it....But I would say Tony Monaco is very well known for that....
Stage 2, C2, NL2X+TC Pedals, P08+Tetra+H9, P12+TC Chorus D50+PG1000, 2 Matrix 1K, Proteus 2K, TX802, Streichfett, Drumbrute. Guitars:G&L Legacy, Asat X2, Ibanez Artstar AS153.Bass: L2000, SR1200&2605.

A lot of times when I'm playing organ or piano in a rock/blues setting, and I take a solo (or listening back to a recording of it), I realize I have nothing to say. It's all sound and fury, signifying nothing. I feel dissatisfied. The clips I've listened to of Lachy Doley make me feel the same way.

This may not be worth two cents but Ill offer it freely.

Some video courses focus on universal tips and techniques while some focus on the mindset and style of a specific player. That said, the scope of the Doley course seems more focused on playing like Doley. Are you inspired wanting to blend his style with your own?

You probably know this and are really wanting to hear from decent players who have experienced the course to see whether they found it worthwhile. I am just a non-professional noodler and have not done the course. FWIW I would choose the Monaco course. It can be purchased in increments, I didnt check for overall time comparisons but you can buy everything for significantly less, it appears to have a broader scope and I happen to like the way he articulates his ideas.

Aside from the production and content quality of a video course value derived is subjective and you have the usual factors of where you are at, what you want to be, what you are looking for, how much money you have to spend, how serious you are and realistic you are in terms of utilization and committment to the investment, etc..

...it is lifetime while others charger per year.

This is not exactly the case. Handcock offers 25 classes. You pay for access to them. You can buy a single class or pay for all-access on an annual basis. Theoretically you could watch and do all 25 within one year. Even if it took 2 it would be less than the Doley course. But, as mentioned, you would have the Doley course for life. Monaco offers DVD's and downloads, which you would own for life, of topics in addition to ongoing instruction which is hiring him as a live tutor (you can choose in person or online).

500$ on piano lessons just give you a mere 2/3 months at the conservatory, 50$ per week in classical and 50$ in jazz....Could be worth it....But I would say Tony Monaco is very well known for that....

Wow, my piano lessons were $2.50 week for classical training. I think gas may have been 30 cents/gallon back then.

57 Hammond B3; 69 Hammond L100P; 68 Leslie 122; Kurzweil Forte7 & PC3; M-Audio Code 61; Voce V5+; Neo Vent; EV ELX112P; GSI Gemini & Burn

Delaware Dave

Exit93band

Wow - too rich for my blood. Seems way high compared to any other video based, online lessons. For that kind of money, I'd expect at least a skype, real-live interaction with the instructor.

This is not exactly the case. Handcock offers 25 classes. You pay for access to them. You can buy a single class or pay for all-access on an annual basis. Theoretically you could watch and do all 25 within one year.

Are you talking about the one on Masterclass.com? Cause I paid the 90 bucks once it came out and still have access to that. No payment on annual basis or anything - it's lifetime access.

It's not a clone, it's a Suzuki.

I am curious about the Tony Monaco lessons. What is the price and format of those ( online of course).

I am also curious about lessons Joey De Francesco is offering.As I recall they are 20 dollars a month.

Format is important, because I would like to have the ability to slow the material down. I can do that on Windows Media Player or VLC Media Player. But I believe you have to download rather than stream the lessons.

Any info on playback formats of Tony Monaco or Joey DeFrancesco lessons online appreciated.

This is not exactly the case. Handcock offers 25 classes. You pay for access to them. You can buy a single class or pay for all-access on an annual basis. Theoretically you could watch and do all 25 within one year.

Are you talking about the one on Masterclass.com? Cause I paid the 90 bucks once it came out and still have access to that. No payment on annual basis or anything - it's lifetime access.

The way I composed the sentence can be interpreted differently than you have but it is my fault for not being more specific. I meant to distinguish the "buy" option from the "all-access" option but it reads as though the two have more in common. The "on an annual basis" only applies to the all-access option as separated by the "or." Ideally I should have added how you would own it implying for life but in my mind the concepts of "buy" and "pay on an annual basis" covered it.

You can buy a single class or pay for all-access on an annual basis.

Is the Lachy Doley online course worth $500?

No

How much can you really learn from someone who's giant ego is always out in front of his playing. Watch some Mike Finnegan videos on youtube for free and see how Hammond Blues should be played.

[video:youtube]

[video:youtube]

Plus, honestly, not to be a dick about it, but whats he going to teach? How to have your effects do your work for you? I guess the calculation was that even one student at that price pays for the cost of the shoot and the ad...

Now out! "Mind the Gap," a 24-song album of new material.
www.joshweinstein.com

Currently on MasterClass.com:

500 Internal Server Error
If you are the administrator of this website, then please read this web application's log file and/or the web server's log file to find out what went wrong.

:snax:

Currently on MasterClass.com:

500 Internal Server Error
If you are the administrator of this website, then please read this web application's log file and/or the web server's log file to find out what went wrong.

:snax:

Oh fuuuuuuu....

I hope this is just temporary. :(

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

I enjoy Lachey's playing a lot. He's got an emotional connection to his music that I haven't seem many people accomplish. Harmonically, his stuff ain't that deep at all. But then neither was Hendrix's. I'd say if Lachey can teach some of that "soul" in his course, and you have the money, and you like his style go for it. If you're looking for ways to stretch your playing harmonically, I'd grab snippets from as many of the jazz guys as you can. Brian Charette's stuff is great for that, and I'd imagine so is Joey D's.Tony seems like you're gonna get an all around organ education from him. But a word of warning, a good player isn't necessarily a good teacher. There's probably a real good reason Tony Monaco is as popular as he is. A side note, my favorite organ guy is Medeski. A while back he offered a deal where you could go hear him record a CD in the studio with Fuzinski, get a master class with both of them, and get copies of the CD. I went specifically to learn his drawbar technique, and also to see if I could catch a glimpse into how his mind worked. He showed me his technique, and I was shocked. He knows what note each drawbar is playing on each key while he's doing it. It's not just a random technique, he's in complete control! I didn't know it before going, but the whole CD was using a 24 tone scale. I got to watch him work, ask questions, etc. and that glimpse into his mind I wanted turned out to be a lot more complicated than I could imagine. I learned one important thing that day, and that was I could relax, I will never be a John Medeski. I enjoy listening to him a lot better since then because I realize some things you can learn, some things are just pure genius and aren't to be imitated. I kind of doubt Lachey can teach that pure emotion that comes out of his playing, it's a part of him. But if he could it'd be worth the 500.

HammondCV,M3,L101,C6,SK1,xk5,Farfisa Combo Compact,RolandVR09,JX8P,vk09,Sound Canvas,CrumarTraveler1,Rhodes suitcase73,Wurly200,HohnerD6,KorgMS20,CasioCZ-101,Yamaha CP25,TX7,mx61,CasioCZ-101,PX110

I hope this is just temporary. :(

it is. :)

I saw it was back this AM and said, "whew." :D

But I know what Mr. Golly was getting at. "Lifetime access" may not be our lifetime. I'm aware of the risk. It's up to me to make the most of it while it's available. :thu:

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

• 1 year later...

I've taken a lot of these type courses over the years on guitar and bass and was left pretty unfulfilled when done. When they are just prerecorded videos especially if the videos are short they don't go very deep into a topic, so you left with more questions than answers. Then there are courses that involve at least some contact with the instructor and those are so much better because you can ask a question to clarify something or ask a totally different question. My favorite when playing guitar was Truefire's Sherpa program. Where you pick a teacher, they have some prerecord videos and class materials, but you also video exchange with the teacher or can just email questions to teacher and they video a reply back. I did that for many years with Sheryl Bailey great guitarist and Berklee professor and learned so much.

TrueFire is guitar and bass only so I was hoping to find something similar in the piano world since TrueFire's monthly fee for Sherpa was less than private lessons would be, but I found nothing. The one thing I found for piano that I recently started and like is Open Studio. They are mainly prerecorded classes and materials, but have a lot of live practice sessions, listening sessions, "green room" session with a handful of their teachers, and other live events that do give you the opportunity to ask questions of the teachers. For the OP they don't have organ teacher and they are Jazz focused. They teach multiple instruments and voice and have an all access pass, but if only into piano they have a All Piano Access Pass that I signed up for and it was way cheaper than TrueFire for a year of Sherpa.

So throw that out if someone look for online Jazz piano course with some excellent teachers.