Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

More gear taken because of the seller's emotional response?

Had no idea what to make for a thread title that fit in the character limit. :)

You may have seen my post in the "Latest Music Purchase" thread. Any of you ever agree to take/buy another item from someone because of how you see its emotional effect on them?

A few weeks ago I was going to take a look at a Conn 552 that was free. Around the same time I contacted someone who had a Caprice 465 with a pair of pipe speakers for $50. The plan was, get the 552, and take the pipe speakers from the Caprice and use them with the 552. The 552 ended up having way too many issues for me to bring it home, so I contacted the gentlemen with the Caprice and told him I was no longer interested because it was contingent on the 552 purchase. Lo and behold, he sent me an email a week or so ago. He was willing to give me the 465 for free if I could come get it, otherwise it was going to be "junked out". I didn't really want the organ, but the speakers are rather rare and some people still pay good money for them, so I went ahead and set the pickup up for the sake of the speakers. Too rare to send to the dump. I was planning on just taking the speakers and maybe giving the seller some money to help with offloading the organ to the dump.

But, once I arrived (five hour drive) to get the speakers, I found out his mother had bought it in the early '70s, put a ton of money into accessories that shouldn't have been sold for that organ in the first place, and then never learned how to play. He grew up with it in the house, and when his mother passed away, he took it to his house. The grandkids didn't treat it well once they came along, so he wanted it to go somewhere where it would be used. When I showed up, I just ran though a couple snippets of songs to just make sure it worked well enough to even be worth considering. He and his wife told me that that was the best they had ever heard that organ sound (and this was only a few very short clips from a few songs on an organ with stuff not working properly). He was literally in tears, he was so happy to hear it played after so many years. So what was I going to tell him? "Hey, I'll just take the speakers and you can deal with the organ"? No. So now I have the whole rig. Repair project. :cool:

Conn-465-Deluxe-Caprice.jpg

IMG-0782.jpg

IMG-0781.jpg

So, how 'bout you? Anyone ever have something like that happen where you just didn't want to tell the person, "I'll just part out this piece and you keep the rest?"

• Like 2

Yamaha: Motif XF8, MODX7, YS200, CVP-305, CLP-130, YPG-235, PSR-295, PSS-470 | Roland: Fantom 7, JV-1000

Kurzweil: PC3-76, PC4 (88) | Hammond: SK Pro 73 | Korg: Triton LE 76, N1R, X5DR | Emu: Proteus/1 | Casio: CT-370 | Novation: Launchkey 37 MK3 | Technics: WSA1R

Former: Emu Proformance Plus & Mo'Phatt, Korg Krome 61, Roland Fantom XR & JV-1010, Yamaha MX61, Behringer CAT

Assorted electric & acoustic guitars and electric basses | Roland TD-17 KVX | Alesis SamplePad Pro | Assorted organs, accordions, other instruments

No, but wow. Post some videos if you don't mind. I'd love to hear it.

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

No, but wow. Post some videos if you don't mind. I'd love to hear it.

I'll post some once I have it up and running completely. Right now it really needs some work. But when it's going, will do. :)

Yamaha: Motif XF8, MODX7, YS200, CVP-305, CLP-130, YPG-235, PSR-295, PSS-470 | Roland: Fantom 7, JV-1000

Kurzweil: PC3-76, PC4 (88) | Hammond: SK Pro 73 | Korg: Triton LE 76, N1R, X5DR | Emu: Proteus/1 | Casio: CT-370 | Novation: Launchkey 37 MK3 | Technics: WSA1R

Former: Emu Proformance Plus & Mo'Phatt, Korg Krome 61, Roland Fantom XR & JV-1010, Yamaha MX61, Behringer CAT

Assorted electric & acoustic guitars and electric basses | Roland TD-17 KVX | Alesis SamplePad Pro | Assorted organs, accordions, other instruments

...Anyone ever have something like that happen where you just didn't want to tell the person, "I'll just part out this piece and you keep the rest?"

Not surprised they were in tears. This story reminded me of a profoundly sad book by Kazuo Ishiguro and well-executed as a film Never Let Me Go which is about raising people in order to harvest their body parts. You have a good heart. You spared them the darkness of impracticality. Inanimate objects can almost have a life and soul to some people when they associate them with people they have loved and when these things have been around for generations.

]

...... which is about raising people in order to harvest their body parts. You have a good heart.

It's funny that you mentioned organ donation in this thread. :laugh:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
Kurzweil Forte, Yamaha Motif ES7, Muse Receptor 2 Pro Max, Neo Ventilator

I worry about anyone who would find equivalence between parts in a musical instrument and growing humans to harvest organs. (not saying Ampy does, btw).

Its much like the modern "pet therapy" person who equates their pet with humans. I expect some blowback on this one, and don't get me wrong - we have a dog and i love animals. but I don't equate animals to humans and would certainly not equate any inanimate object to a living being.

This supercedes my usual "ohhh, you guys and your projects" post :)

The baiting I do is purely for entertainment value. Please feel free to ignore it.

I would like to add the reason I tied the book/film together with this story. In the book/film I mentioned the humans raised for harvesting were viewed as soulless and expendable. The book/film focuses on the love between the humans who are to be harvested. One friend has the job of being there for the friends to be harvested as the final part is removed ending their life. I do not mean to suggest the instrument here equates to human level however I do see a correlation in that someone recognized something loved and respected this enough to take the whole thing and did not present the idea of "parting it out" to those who loved it.

Here's another organ story...one Saturday, I saw a sign for a yard sale in my town. So I go there, and there's a huge collection of tapes, home made tapes of radio broadcasts of organ related radio shows through the 90s.

I like to use tapes to make weird sounds, and I also have a penchant for organ, so I picked out like two or three. I think they were marked like, a dollar each. The lady running the yard sale sees me looking at them and says, "You can have all of them for $5." Mind you, there's like three cases of these tapes probably sixty or so in all. So I say, "Ok, done."

Then she says, "Do you play organ?"

I tell her I do, and she says "come inside."

She brings me inside the house to the living room, and sitting there is a huge three manual Conn organ with a Leslie. In perfect condition.

In the next room, there's also a baby grand piano.

The lady tells me that the this house was owned by a gentleman who was a bachelor who played organ and piano. She says she was a tenant who rented a room. When the gentleman died, he had no family nor heirs, and he left his entire estate to her.

She asks me to make an offer on the organ, but I politely declined. At the time, I had a tiny apartment, and I couldn't even get the Leslie through the door, never mind the organ. I think I probably could have talked her into giving it to me for free, it just wasn't an option at the time.

I wonder what ever happened to it.

Here's another organ story...one Saturday, I saw a sign for a yard sale in my town. So I go there, and there's a huge collection of tapes, home made tapes of radio broadcasts of organ related radio shows through the 90s.

I like to use tapes to make weird sounds, and I also have a penchant for organ, so I picked out like two or three. I think they were marked like, a dollar each. The lady running the yard sale sees me looking at them and says, "You can have all of them for $5." Mind you, there's like three cases of these tapes probably sixty or so in all. So I say, "Ok, done."

Then she says, "Do you play organ?"

I tell her I do, and she says "come inside."

She brings me inside the house to the living room, and sitting there is a huge three manual Conn organ with a Leslie. In perfect condition.

In the next room, there's also a baby grand piano.

The lady tells me that the this house was owned by a gentleman who was a bachelor who played organ and piano. She says she was a tenant who rented a room. When the gentleman died, he had no family nor heirs, and he left his entire estate to her.

She asks me to make an offer on the organ, but I politely declined. At the time, I had a tiny apartment, and I couldn't even get the Leslie through the door, never mind the organ. I think I probably could have talked her into giving it to me for free, it just wasn't an option at the time.

I wonder what ever happened to it.

:o Those Conn three-manual organs are really nice. Hard to find one that works well now though.

I was offered some equipment whose owner had recently died. I was first to respond (it came to me via a good friend), and I made an utter lowball offer for part of the stash but openly so, since it was defective gear and i didnt have more play money to spend on something with unknown follow-up costs (a Memorymoog and a Moog the Source).

Meeting the widow was a very moving thing, and she was extremely happy for me to be the one to curate these pieces of history, as her late husband had seen himself in that responsibility.

I declined the minimoog, explaining what it was worth and that it was an easy sell, and that Id asked around, but my people all already had one, so Id feel shitty about having somebody offer 2000 just to snap up an extra one. I didnt really have the cash anyway, seeing as the MM had multiple issues and Id opted to go full Lintronics on it in the interest of conservation, and because Id dreamed of a LAMM for twenty years.

She came back at me a few days later, saying my offer (?) was fine, and shed throw in the MPU-101 as well maybe Id find a use for it.

How on earth could I ever decline that?

"The Angels of Libra are in the European vanguard of the [retro soul] movement" (Bill Buckley, Soul and Jazz and Funk)

The Drawbars | off jazz organ trio

I had the opposite happen.

I had a non keyboard instrument (a violin) but the person who had it had cystic fibrosis and wanted to learn violin. They borrowed it but never gave it back. I wonder what happened to it.

Wanted to put this in here.

Yamaha MX49, Casio SK1/WK-7600, Korg Minilogue, Alesis SR-16, Casio CT-X3000, FL Studio, many VSTs, percussion, woodwinds, strings, and sound effects.

• 3 years later...
3 hours ago, Skulley said:

Are there any parts from a working Conn Deluxe Caprice Organ  mod 464 worth trying to sell. Cosmetically thrashed, innards fine.....

Keying rods/buss bars, IC’s, really anything since I think that’s the year that multiplexed keying came into the Conn 46x line, which means parts are not really available or easy to substitute. I’d suggest asking at the Organ Forum (organforum.com) and see what the Conn experts have to say. 

1 hour ago, KuruPrionz said:

That's a lovely tale, I have nothing quite like it. 

Over 3 years ago now...I forgot I even made this thread lol. Between COVID and now college the 465 is still a project...I did do some cleaning and reseating off things that helped a bit, but I had to stop working on it in fall 2020 due to time constraints.