Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Nord Grand with Kawai Action

But I can't imagine wanting to carry this around. The weight is within reason, but the shape is bulky

To me it just looks like a "square" version of the SV-1 88 from a haulage point of view. Dimensions and weight certainly not a million miles apart.

Therefore not the easiest thing to manipulate but doable.

Looks a bit like someone's red-headed step sister but beauty is in the eye of the beholder - and I'm yet to trip over an audience member who either blown away or disgusted by how a keyboard looks. And I play a real ugly keyboard. In public no less.

• Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

We won't know for sure until someone tries it, but it looks to me like you could set another keyboard on top. It will overhang, but would probably still be balanced and playable. To me that's a very attractive feature, if it works.

Gigging: Crumar Mojo 61, Hammond SKPro

Home: Vintage Vibe 64

To me it just looks like a "square" version of the SV-1 88 from a haulage point of view. Dimensions and weight certainly not a million miles apart.

Therefore not the easiest thing to manipulate but doable.

Probably easier without all the SV1's awkward-to-grip rounded edges, though.

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

I was thinking the Kawai MP-9000.

MP9000.jpg

Yamaha: Motif XF8, MODX7, YS200, CVP-305, CLP-130, YPG-235, PSR-295, PSS-470 | Roland: Fantom 7, JV-1000

Kurzweil: PC3-76, PC4 (88) | Hammond: SK Pro 73 | Korg: Triton LE 76, N1R, X5DR | Emu: Proteus/1 | Casio: CT-370 | Novation: Launchkey 37 MK3 | Technics: WSA1R

Former: Emu Proformance Plus & Mo'Phatt, Korg Krome 61, Roland Fantom XR & JV-1010, Yamaha MX61, Behringer CAT

Assorted electric & acoustic guitars and electric basses | Roland TD-17 KVX | Alesis SamplePad Pro | Assorted organs, accordions, other instruments

interesting move, surprised not to see the wooden keys as found on the high-end kawais, that would have really set this apart.

btw, does it really matter if keys are made of wood, when you interact with the plastic surface? what's the benefit apart from

any perceived satisfaction from knowing it's there?

hang out with me at woody piano shack

btw, does it really matter if keys are made of wood, when you interact with the plastic surface? what's the benefit apart from

any perceived satisfaction from knowing it's there?

Weighting might feel more natural. The vibrating from when you hit the bottom of the keybed is different with plastic keys vs wood in my experience.

Yamaha: Motif XF8, MODX7, YS200, CVP-305, CLP-130, YPG-235, PSR-295, PSS-470 | Roland: Fantom 7, JV-1000

Kurzweil: PC3-76, PC4 (88) | Hammond: SK Pro 73 | Korg: Triton LE 76, N1R, X5DR | Emu: Proteus/1 | Casio: CT-370 | Novation: Launchkey 37 MK3 | Technics: WSA1R

Former: Emu Proformance Plus & Mo'Phatt, Korg Krome 61, Roland Fantom XR & JV-1010, Yamaha MX61, Behringer CAT

Assorted electric & acoustic guitars and electric basses | Roland TD-17 KVX | Alesis SamplePad Pro | Assorted organs, accordions, other instruments

Wood is solid, and the moving mass will just feel different. Also, I've never seen a plastic key that was solid on the bottom where it contacts the felt. kanker says he's very sensitive to this. Think about it. The plastic keys have two sides digging into the felt when it bottoms, whereas wood has the entire width of the key hitting the felt.

IOW, if plastic keys worked as well as wood, real pianos would have been using them by now.

That's not to say there aren't some really good feeling plastic keys. but even the top end Casio Grand Hybrid uses wooden keys from Bechstein.

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

A very interesting blend of brands/instruments... But Ill still take my MP11. Lucky for me I dont gig.

Sundown

Working on: The Jupiter Bluff; Driven Away

Main axes: Kawai MP11 and Kurz PC361

DAW Platform: Cubase

I adore the MP11 action. I even liked playing it when the unit was turned off....but man, was it heavy.dB

I checked a friend´s MP11 twice.

The action feels great, but I also recognized it´s too heavy for me when playing for any length of time.

It´s heavier than the Rhodes MK80 action, which is the heaviest I still own and in opposite to the MK80, the keys bounced when being released and returned to their initial position which I disliked.

But that´s only me.

A.C.

I adore the MP11 action. I even liked playing it when the unit was turned off....but man, was it heavy.

I checked a friend´s MP11 twice.

The action feels great, but I also recognized it´s too heavy for me when playing for any length of time.

It´s heavier than the Rhodes MK80 action, which is the heaviest I still own and in opposite to the MK80, the keys bounced when being released and returned to their initial position which I disliked.

But that´s only me.

I was not clear - sorry. :idk:

My "man, was it heavy" quote was referring to the physical weight of the MP11, not the action. I adore piano action like that. :love:

dB

:snax:

:keys:==> David Bryce Music • Funky Young Monks <==:rawk:

Beautiful! I love Kawai's action on acoustic pianos. They're heavier than most Yamaha's I've played. I played their stage pianos at NAMM, but to me it wasn't anything special...say compared to RH3.
www.youtube.com/c/InTheMixReviews

My feeling about it is, MP11 may be the best action, but the Yamaha wooden key hammer action (CP4, P515, CP88) is at least 90% as good at 50-60% of the overall weight. If you're gigging, that's kind of an easy choice. And of course there's a subjective element, so someone like Dave Ferris might actually prefer the Yamaha over the Kawai.

My feeling about it is, MP11 may be the best action, but the Yamaha wooden key hammer action (CP4, P515, CP88) is at least 90%...

May I ask if you have actually played an MP11?

Kind regards,

James

x

Employed by Kawai Japan, however the opinions I express are my own.
Nord Electro 3 & occasional rare groove player.

I love it.. but I would never spend that sort of bread on anything but a new Baby Grand for home now ..

CP-50, YC 73,  FP-80, PX5-S, NE-5d61, Kurzweil SP6, XK-3, CX-3, Hammond XK-3, Yamaha YUX Upright, '66 B3/Leslie 145/122

My feeling about it is, MP11 may be the best action, but the Yamaha wooden key hammer action (CP4, P515, CP88) is at least 90%...

May I ask if you have actually played an MP11?

Kind regards,

James

x

I've played the MP11, and all the Yamahas I named, and my opinion is what I stated. Your opinion may be different.

Some years ago I owned an MP9000. I loved playing so much I even tried gigging with it. That was sheer folly. I was younger and stronger then and, in contrast to Bob Dylan's progress through life, I'm not younger than that now. Now my cutoff for a gigging keyboard is about 45 lbs.

Now they have me wondering,

Will there ever be a grand-stage?

Seems many people love the formfactor for an 88 key, withcontrolls on the front, espescially when used as a lower key.. or just as a controller for a DAW...

I personally think the action might be a GF-C from the description..