Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Old "find".....

I like to keep my CDs in alphabetical order. But every now and then, I gotta go back and RESET them (due to not putting them back in order). So, this time, while taking out some to make room for what belongs wherever, I came across a CD that I didn't recall buying, or WHERE! :o

It's called, "PINK FLOYD & Friends/ Interstellar Overdrive". And in the upper left hand corner of the jewel case reads: "Full length version featuring Syd Barrett"

?

Was so unfamiliar with the disc and it's title tune I took it into the front room and put it in the player. What's heard on it is this----

Track 1: A recording of ALAN GINSBERG reciting one of his "poems". :rolleyes:

Track 2: The title track by Pink Floyd, which was(in this case) nearly 20 minutes of late '60's British instrumental psychedelia and mostly pointless and sounds like what you'd hear back then when a bunch of "stoner" buddies got together for a "jam". Echh!

Track 3: Early FLEETWOOD MAC and a tune called "Man Of The World", which was OK.. But too, one I've never heard before.

Track 4: part of an interview with Mick Jagger that's mostly useless blather...

Track 5: The Small Faces with a song called "Here Comes The Nice", which had NOTHING to do with the group The Nice. ;) And not that great a tune.

Track 6: Pink Floyd again and a tune called "Nick's Boogie", which was another too long "buzz-kill" (something Floyd was always good at. ;)

Track 7: American singer P. P. Arnold( who made it much bigger in the UK than at home) doing her version of "Angel Of The Morning".

Track 8: The aforementioned NICE doing Keith Emerson's instrumental arrangement of Bernstein's "America" from WEST SIDE STORY. CLEARLY showing early ELP vibe. ;)

and finally...

Track 9: The Moody Blues and a song called "Stop" which I couldn't WAIT for it to do! :D Not really their best... ;)

All in all, I'll probably hang onto it for kicks, but not what I'd consider a discovered "treasure".

Anyone else ever dig up something at times like this( meaning forgotten)?

Whitefang

I started out with NOTHING...and I still have most of it left!

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

@Whitefang - never dug out anything quite like that, but I do recall a lot of odd, one-off CD's that seemed more based on a Nostalgia market than any really Musical merit, and that sounds like one. "A random collection of stuff from people you remember doing better material." I'd hand onto it, nonetheless; there are Syd Barrett fans who would definitely consider it a treasure, if only for the live Interstellar Overdrive".

"Monsters are real, and Ghosts are real too. They live inside us, and sometimes, they win." Stephen King

http://www.novparolo.com

https://thewinstonpsmithproject.bandcamp.com

Ditto on all counts, WPS.

Ive yet to find anything in the collection that I dont remember acquiring. And it sounds like an interesting piece. You ought to see what its worth, if nothing else.

Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: âNinety percent of everything is crapâ

My FLMS- Murphy's Music in Irving, Tx

http://murphysmusictx.com/

Sounds like a really poorly curated, largely random album. BUT, the original Interstellar Overdrive was a classic of 60s psychedelia & exists in many bootlegs in forms ranging from a few minutes to very extended. It was one of the early touchstones of what became a sort of subgenre of space music. I feel Gilmour brought more to the piece than Barrett did, & I always loved that they were able to get such comparatively rich & lavish soundscapes out of standard rock instrumentation at a time when synths didn't exist, & the only pedals were wahs, fuzzes & tape delays.
Scott Fraser

Well,

1: I don't know if the title tune WAS recorded "live", but if it was, I'm willing to bet it was recorded "live" at someone's house during an "acid" fest! ;):D

2: @ Winston--- They'd HAVE to be BIG Syd Barrett fans to think there's any value in any of it. There really isn't ANY guitar work in the track that can be taken serious by probably even the guy who PLAYED it( and maybe it was Barrett). Like I said, it sounded like 20+ minutes of a bunch of "stoner" buddies got together for a "jam".

and

3: Scott, synths DID exist at the time. Just that rock groups didn't bother to make much of any use of them until the later '60's( Walter[now Wendy] Carlos and his "Switched On Bach" classic LP) and a few with slight use of the mellotron. or The Beach Boys and their employment of the THEREMIN for "Good Vibrations". ;)

Thing is.... I don't recall WHEN or WHERE I acquired the disc. nor recall getting it as a GIFT or what. :hitt:

Whitefang

Sounds like a really poorly curated, largely random album. BUT, the original Interstellar Overdrive was a classic of 60s psychedelia & exists in many bootlegs in forms ranging from a few minutes to very extended. It was one of the early touchstones of what became a sort of subgenre of space music. I feel Gilmour brought more to the piece than Barrett did, & I always loved that they were able to get such comparatively rich & lavish soundscapes out of standard rock instrumentation at a time when synths didn't exist, & the only pedals were wahs, fuzzes & tape delays.

Barrett was an acid casualty by the time they did their 1st album (produced by former Geo Martin engineer Norm Smith, who did all the Beatles records up to 1965/6...& who himself had a few hit records under the name "Hurricane Smith").

Still, it's true that he had a real musical & artistic vision that the later band, under Waters's leadership, were much too pedestrian to match, IMO.

Gilmour's a great player & writer but Waters, IMO, was like the worst version of Pete Townshend (i.e., overly pedantic & humorless---humor was Pete's saving grace), we could imagine.

When we consider that Smith quit working w/the Beatles b/c they were getting too experimental, it's a kick that he then went w/ the PFloyd. :rolleyes:

He also did several other artist productions.

A MASTERFUL TRACK FROM 1ST PFLOYD ALB

[video:youtube]

SOMETHING I CAN'T EXPLAIN

[/vdieo]

HURRICANE SMITH AT HIS BEST

d=halfnote

Wow, Hurricane Smith! There are no words. Well, a few words, like how did he ever get within shouting distance of the Beatles & Pink Floyd, but mainly, what the actual hell do any of the visual images have to do with anything contained in what might be the worst pop tune ever committed to tape. I'm just so amazed at it all. Fortunately Mr Smith was quickly ushered offstage.
Scott Fraser

Well, I'm not sure THAT tune is "the worst pop tune ever committed to tape", but it DO give it a good TRY! ;)

And you know how it is with the "general public". Somewhere, there's an old couple that puts a recording of that tune on whatever they use for music every anniversary because it's "their song".

And to d.....

If that "full length version" of "Interstellar Overdrive" I have on that CD is an example of Barrett's supposed "real musical & artistic vision" then I would assert that it was lucky for the band that Syd DID become an "acid casualty". Like I said, there WASN'T ANYTHING remotely "musical" OR "artistic" in the 20+ minute noise fest.

Whitefang

Scott, when I said that was Hurricane Smith at his best that only seemed to carry the implication that it was good---it was the best I could find !

Keep in mind that's still the same cat who was Martin's primary choice for studio engineer until Norm quit & it was he who recorded virtually everything by the Beatles before 1966.

As for the p-nut gallery comment abt Barrett, to each their own but maybe that poster shoulda tried the other track

d=halfnote

Scott, when I said that was Hurricane Smith at his best that only seemed to carry the implication that it was good---it was the best I could find !

Just goes to show that brushing up against genius doesn't guarantee that any of it will rub off.

Keep in mind that's still the same cat who was Martin's primary choice for studio engineer until Norm quit & it was he who recorded virtually everything by the Beatles before 1966.

He did a good enough job, but Geoff Emmerick really rose to the occasion when The Beatles asked for sounds which had never been produced in a recording studio before.

As for the p-nut gallery comment abt Barrett, to each their own but maybe that poster shoulda tried the other track

Taste is taste. I've heard a lot of versions of Interstellar Overdrive, some thrilling, others from 'off' nights. Barrett was a pretty prolific writer & he also covered a range from inspired to insipid. Lucifer Sam was one of his better tunes. I don't think he ever was able to blossom into the fully realized artist he could have become had he not been overtaken by madness. His symptoms sound to me like the onset of schizophrenia, coming, as it does to many males, in the early 20s.

Scott Fraser

If by "that poster" you meant ME, well, the only other Floyd track on that CD was this....

:rolleyes: Yeah.... Rock on.... :/

Whitefang

Just goes to show that brushing up against genius doesn't guarantee that any of it will rub off.

He did a good enough job, but Geoff Emmerick really rose to the occasion when The Beatles asked for sounds which had never been produced in a recording studio before.

Taste is taste. I've heard a lot of versions of Interstellar Overdrive, some thrilling, others from 'off' nights. Barrett was a pretty prolific writer & he also covered a range from inspired to insipid. Lucifer Sam was one of his better tunes. I don't think he ever was able to blossom into the fully realized artist he could have become had he not been overtaken by madness. His symptoms sound to me like the onset of schizophrenia, coming, as it does to many males, in the early 20s.

All that's true in it's entirety...

:like:

...except for this:

many of the FX later heard on Beatles records

had in fact been done before on G Martin productions from the 1950s & early 1960s.

I refer all to these books

Maximum Volume: The Life of Beatles Producer George Martin: The Early Years, 1926-1966 / Kenneth Womack

Sound Pictures: The Life of Beatles Producer George Martin, The Later Years, 19662016 / Kenneth Womack

d=halfnote

Well, nobody ever said they weren't aware of what Martin brought to the table as far as any Beatles "sound" is concerned. And, at the time, since before his involvement with that band that Martin was more involved with music that didn't interest either The band's members OR the young audience they attracted, any "tricks" up his sleeve he brought into the studio with them WAS all new to them AND most of US.

But, back on topic....

IMHO, none of the tracks on that CD could be claimed as GOOD examples of ANY artist(s) abilities.

Whitefang

All that's true in it's entirety...

:like:

...except for this:

many of the FX later heard on Beatles records

had in fact been done before on G Martin productions from the 1950s & early 1960s.

I refer all to these books

Maximum Volume: The Life of Beatles Producer George Martin: The Early Years, 1926-1966 / Kenneth Womack

Sound Pictures: The Life of Beatles Producer George Martin, The Later Years, 19662016 / Kenneth Womack

I know he did the Goon Show records & other comedy acts, but can't say I ever heard any of that work.

Scott Fraser