Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Jimmy Smith? Really?

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

To be fair, the Hammond sound was considered corny and dated by that time. Gotta try to make some money somehow. It's a pretty funky track, really.

I agree, many of us were dumping our big old heavy dated sounding organs at that time.

Is that Jimmy on vocals? It kind of sounds like his voice (or his voice as I know it from in between songs, etc).

Sundown

Working on: The Jupiter Bluff; Driven Away

Main axes: Kawai MP11 and Kurz PC361

DAW Platform: Cubase

Oh, for sure that is JS on vocals. That's the same vocal sound that you can find on Smith's version of "Got My Mojo Working". (When I was a teenager, for some reason, my younger sister had Smith's 45 of that recording. I could not convince her to give it to me.)

As Jim A alluded, there were a number of recordings that came out in the disco-post disco period that featured legit jazz organists playing commercial funk mysic. I owned and discarded a Larry Young album like that. Terrible lyrics and everything: "Space ball, ya'll can come!" Check out some of the stuff that Dr. Lonnie Smirh did at that time. It sounds pretty bad/dated compared to the great performances that he has recorded in the past 15 years. Fortunately, legit organ jazz returned in a much more artistic and varied way in the past 20 + years. (Thanks Joey D, et al. )

Dam, Bill Champlin, Abe Laboriel, Lenny White, and Herbie Hancock.

Credits

Arranged By Carmen Twillie

Arranged By [Music] Alan Silvestri, Eugene McDaniels

Art Direction Mike Doud (2)

Backing Vocals William Champlin*, Carmen Twillie, Vennette Gloud*

Bass Abraham Laboriel

Drums Lenny White

Engineer Doug Rider

Engineer [Assistant] Mike Beiriger, Robert Davenport (2), Steve Smith (19)

Guitar Alan Silvestri

Harmonica Stanley ("The Baron") Behrens*

Organ, Synthesizer Jimmy Smith

Percussion Steve Forman

Photography By Antonin Kratochvil

Piano Herbie Hancock

Producer Eugene McDaniels

Producer Eugene McDaniels is the same Gene McDaniels who had hits as a singer with 100 Pounds of Clay and Tower of Strength. He also wrote Compared To What and Roberta Flack's hit Feel Like Makin'' Love. His accomplishments in the music biz are impressive and numerous. Incredible roster of talent on this J.S. album.

Is Jimmy Smith playing an ARP Odyssey? Sounds like an ARP to me. But it could be an SEM based on it sounding like a BPF.
Yamaha MX49, Casio SK1/WK-7600, Korg Minilogue, Alesis SR-16, Casio CT-X3000, FL Studio, many VSTs, percussion, woodwinds, strings, and sound effects.

Jimmy always had an ear toward commerciality. He sang on many tracks like " Got My Mojo Workin', "Hi Heel Sneakers", "Boom Boom" etc.

In the European documentary ( on Youtube) done in 1965, it shows Jimmy driving his car and listening to the radio. The track he is listening to was " No Matter What Shape" by the T -Bones ( aka the Wrecking Crew). It's pretty obvious Jimmy was checking out AM radio extensively.

I recently obtained a copy of the Dot Come Blues CD that Jimmy did in the later part of his career and it's one of my favorite recordings by him. Jimmy does not sing on these recordings - rather he leaves that to Dr. John, Taj Mahal, Etta James and B.B. King. Pretty impressive line up there! And for the most part, it works.