Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Kurzweil PC4

Awesome, I will buy the first one I can get my hands on! This is the K3000 people have been asking for for years.

My Forte sounds great but the interface, the dual-function numerical keypad and the unlabeled buttons are such a PITA. I'm delighted to see the Flashplay technology migrate to the PC series.

Wow! Also able to import & play 6 Operator FM SysEX.....Step sequencer, 2 Gb of user loadable sample space, after touch.......I hope that there is a 76 key version!

----------------------------------------------------------

Gig: Yamaha MODX7, NumaX 73 Piano  Studio: Kawai ES-920; Hammond SK Pro 73; Yamaha Motif ES7 w/DX,VL,VH; Yamaha YC 73; Kawai MP-6; Numa Compact 2x

...This is the K3000 people have been asking for for years....

Sort of.

Yes - lots of people have been fantasizing about a K3000 for years, but everyone had a different idea about what it should include.

I think lots of people were looking for something other than VAST and the old sample sets.

I haven't kept up with what they've been doing since the K series though, so for me, there are still a lot of unanswered questions about the PC4.

Wow...on first glance through the specs, looks like an ideal board honestly. Curious about the included pianos etc, if theyre closer to the Forte ones or more like the PC3K ones, or something else entirely. Also wondering about the weight and the keybed. Screen does look a little small but then again Im the person whos used to a Motif XF screen so Im spoiled. I know that you can do a lot on a small screen however from working with my JV-1000 and YS200. All those inputs... :drool:

If I was in the market for something, from initial impressions, this would be my number one choice, second being a Kronos perhaps. Never seen any Kurzweil in the flesh though with the exception of a PC2x in a Fourth of July concert at the local school, which of course sounded pretty dated.

Yamaha: Motif XF8, MODX7, YS200, CVP-305, CLP-130, YPG-235, PSR-295, PSS-470 | Roland: Fantom 7, JV-1000

Kurzweil: PC3-76, PC4 (88) | Hammond: SK Pro 73 | Korg: Triton LE 76, N1R, X5DR | Emu: Proteus/1 | Casio: CT-370 | Novation: Launchkey 37 MK3 | Technics: WSA1R

Former: Emu Proformance Plus & Mo'Phatt, Korg Krome 61, Roland Fantom XR & JV-1010, Yamaha MX61, Behringer CAT

Assorted electric & acoustic guitars and electric basses | Roland TD-17 KVX | Alesis SamplePad Pro | Assorted organs, accordions, other instruments

clonewheel improvements?

Dan

Acoustic/Electric stringed instruments ranging from 4 to 230 strings, hammered, picked, fingered, slapped, and plucked. Analog and Digital Electronic instruments, reeds, and throat/mouth.

61 and a 76 synth/semi action models please...

Kurzweil K2661 + full options,iMac 27",Mac book white,Apogee Element 24 + Duet,Genelec 8030A,Strymon Lex + Flint,Hohner Pianet T,Radial Key-Largo,Kawai K5000W,Moog Minitaur,Yamaha Reface YC + CP, iPad 9th Gen, Arturia Beatstep + V Collection 9

https://antonisadelfidis.bandcamp.com

If it's true about medeli action and plastic body, i'll keep my K2661 and wait for the K successor...

Kurzweil K2661 + full options,iMac 27",Mac book white,Apogee Element 24 + Duet,Genelec 8030A,Strymon Lex + Flint,Hohner Pianet T,Radial Key-Largo,Kawai K5000W,Moog Minitaur,Yamaha Reface YC + CP, iPad 9th Gen, Arturia Beatstep + V Collection 9

I had never heard of Medeli; a Hong Kong maker of cheap arranger workstations:

https://www.medeli.com.hk/keyboards

Do they have a history of supplying keybeds as OEM?

https://www.medeli.com.hk/digital-pianos

They do make Digital Pianos, and other stuff besides the 61-note thingies that show up on their front page.

Eugenio Upright, 60th Anniversary P-Bass, USA Geddy Lee J-Bass, Yamaha BBP35, D'angelico SS Bari, EXL1,

Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, LP 57, Eastman T486, T64, Ibanez PM2, Hammond XK4, Moog Voyager

This is not the K3000...

It's the only K3000 we're ever going to get, and it's close enough for me.

I do wish Kurzweil would give us one "Flagship" keyboard with the best of everything they have to offer like Yamaha Roland and Korg usually do. Why not at least make the larger Pianos and Flashplay memory capacity from the Forte an option for the PC4?

Because they will obsolete Forte...

If it's true about medeli action and plastic body, i'll keep my K2661 and wait for the K successor...

Yes if it has the same keybed as the SP-6, I'd be disappointed - that keyboard felt very uninspiring under my fingers...

I'm hoping for a PC4 76 note with Fatar TP/8 keys - then, and only then, I might sell my PC3K7 :)

(As for 88 notes go, I'm more than happy with my Yamaha CP88...! :D )

Too much stuff, too little time, too few gigs, should spend more time practicing...!  🙄

main instruments: Nord Stage 3 compact, Yamaha CP88, Kurzweil PC4, Viscount KeyB Legend Live

Because they will obsolete Forte...

The Forte is clearly designed for the "digital piano" market. Although Kurzweil has done an admirable job of grafting advanced features from the PC3 series onto it, it's still an instrument whose main user interface is category buttons. Its target market doesn't want to deal with the complexity of a PC3K type interface, anymore than I want to have press a special button just to make the Forte's "Category" panel function like an actual keypad.

I think there's room in the market for both a Forte and a PC4 with all the trimmings.

Pasted from the other thread

Wishes:

- A fully weighted 73 or 76-key version - *or* a module version

- The ability to read old Kurz CD-Roms in some way (does the Forte do it?)

- Portabilty (weight)

- A nice working software editor (that screen looks rather small...)

The Medeli action in the SP-6 is not a bad action at all BTW... better the Yamaha GHS for sure, well for my $ at least!

CP-50, YC 73,  FP-80, PX5-S, NE-5d61, Kurzweil SP6, XK-3, CX-3, Hammond XK-3, Yamaha YUX Upright, '66 B3/Leslie 145/122

- The ability to read old Kurz CD-Roms in some way (does the Forte do it?)

- A nice working software editor (that screen looks rather small...)

Since most Kurzweil CD-ROMs feature samples/keymaps/programs in .KRZ format without any fancy programming this shouldn't be a problem. The only compatibility issues I've found going from the K2000 clear to the Forte have been DSP/programming inconsistencies, sampled keymaps convert flawlessly.

The only tricky part might be getting at the .KRZ files without a CD-ROM drive and compatible SCSI interface.

Software editors for Kurzweils seems to be a lost cause. As soon as one is created Kurzweil comes up with an amazing OS update which breaks it. Editing on that small screen can be amazingly fast and powerful once you get used to it.

I'm still not convinced this wasn't an April fools joke. That said, I hope Kurzweil has chosen a different technology for the display backlighting!

Korg Kronos 61 (2); Kurzweil PC4, Roland Fantom-06, Casio PX-350M; 2015 Macbook Pro and 2012 Mac Mini (Logic Pro X and Mainstage), GigPerformer 4.

Software editors for Kurzweils seems to be a lost cause. As soon as one is created Kurzweil comes up with an amazing OS update which breaks it.

Kurzweil still has one of the smallest screens in modern workstation, so I would expect a native, decent editing software, with updates.............

Editing on that small screen can be amazingly fast and powerful once you get used to it.
This is what I've done for the last 25 years, and it's precisely the reason why I would appreciate a change. It's not just the ergonomy... my eyes are ageing and demand some respect.