Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Yamaha MODX

Hmmmm..... each part with 8 elements?

Personally, I prefer the Korg structure, with each part having 2 elements, it's altogether a faster, simpler structure to work with.

Not only do you have more control over fx, you can mix and match parts much more easily.

Like anything, there's advantages to 2 elements vs 8 elements per part, and like N4dr0j says, there's wicked cool things you can accomplish if you're willing to put in the time.

But once you've done in-depth 8 element design, your building blocks, parts, are very specific, whereas 2 element design is much more open ended.

That said, the MODX7 is at the top of my list of boards I'd consider if I decided to go without built-in speakers, the value and sheer power is pretty unbeatable. And, being a Yamaha, it probably will have the largest user base out there, which means more 3d party sounds, which means I wouldn't have to go to far into the deep end!

N4dr0j, are you using the John Melas librarian/editor/sample manager program? Well worth the money if you're really digging deep, it's super well done, had it when I had my XS7.

For the record on Kronos voice structure:

- HD1 rompler is 8 multisamples × 2 OSC

- AL1 (VA synth) is 2 OSC x 2 instances

- MOD7 (FM synth) is 8 operator,

-- waveshaping

-- all DX7 algorithms

-- freely routable

Further, each program is actually a double program. You can combine either 2 rompler engines, or mix and match any of the synth engines. Also includes a drum track.

Combinations have 16 programs + 2 audio IN + 2 USB in.

12 freely routable Insert FX

2 Master FX (send/return)

2 Total FX (multi band compressor, etc)

Songs/sequences add 8 tracks audio to the Combination structure.

Kronos, like Integra, has full MIDI multimode implementation. Any of 16 programs can be assigned to any MIDI channel, allowing splits/layers/note ranges. Kronos as master controller can transmit on any of those 16 zones.

I better stop now, I love tech features. I could write a manual on this. (And practically did for the Alesis Fusion.=)

Man I have a Kronos 2 61 and a MODX8! Thats an unfair comparison lol! I regularly gig with my MODX8 and my keybed has none of the issues.

Yamaha MODX8, Korg Kronos 2 61, Hammond B3, Novation 61SL MKII, Impulse 61, Roland D-550, Proteus 2000, etc......to name a few.

I'm looking for a 2nd/3rd tier gigging board to complement my Kronos 61, Prophet Rev2, and Integra.

What are the things you're looking for this new board to give you? When using it as a second (as opposed to third) board, would it take the place of the Kronos or the Prophet?

IOne of the biggest negatives on the MODX is how its parts are locked Part X on MIDI chX, Part Y on MIDI ch Y, etc. But with the mention of element level split/layer and note ranges, I think I can workaround the limitation

Related to my question about what you would pair it with, from what I understand, this limitation really seems to be a function of what you're trying to control it with. If you were to trigger it from a Kronos, it's no issue at all, because what you can't change on the MODX end, you can change on the Kronos end. But if you were to try to control it from a keyboard that doesn't support transmitting on multiple, definable channels, it presents an obstacle.

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

When I first got my MODX7 the low point seemed the keybed. Fast forward a few weeks of getting used to it and I love it. Just great. Funny how that can happen.

Soo much bang for the buck. And 16 lbs!

My sentiments exactly! Its a great synth, I use mine for gigging only and its such a blast being able to reproduce modern as well as vintage sounds. As well as having FM. It could use more voices though, if I use multi slot pianos and strings I run out of voices.

Thanks KorgyPorky and KeyMoe!

Anyone else?

Also thoughts on the casing itself?

I tried to pick it up from its stand in the store, but it was on one of those in wall multi level tiers and I didnt have enough leverage or distance to get any idea of the durability

the bottom base was designed with a lot of ribbing reinforcement to give good rigidity and torsional stability. It doesnt bend or wobble ... but its plastic so dont drop it.

I have the MODX7 - I love it. But ive been riding Yamaha for quite awhile - I had Motif XF7, MOXF6 and now this. Feel is closer to MOXF than XF, but they really arent that different to me. The extra octave in a board that is barely longer than a 61 is really nice.

Interface is a lot friendlier than any prior board. Sounds are big, Performances are easy to quickly create. Live set make it easy to rearrange for the next nights show. Can search by key letters to quickly find a Perf you cant find by scrolling.

Only part that takes some extra time is if you deep dive into element editing, and there its a case of how far and deep do you want to go, thats how long youll spend. You can do simple edits quickly, but to resculpt completely - you have a lot of parameters and values to play with, lots of effects that can all be modified, on and on. For this price point - its ridiculous imo.

The baiting I do is purely for entertainment value. Please feel free to ignore it.

I'm looking for a 2nd/3rd tier gigging board to complement my Kronos 61, Prophet Rev2, and Integra.

What are the things you're looking for this new board to give you? When using it as a second (as opposed to third) board, would it take the place of the Kronos or the Prophet?

IOne of the biggest negatives on the MODX is how its parts are locked Part X on MIDI chX, Part Y on MIDI ch Y, etc. But with the mention of element level split/layer and note ranges, I think I can workaround the limitation

Related to my question about what you would pair it with, from what I understand, this limitation really seems to be a function of what you're trying to control it with. If you were to trigger it from a Kronos, it's no issue at all, because what you can't change on the MODX end, you can change on the Kronos end. But if you were to try to control it from a keyboard that doesn't support transmitting on multiple, definable channels, it presents an obstacle.

I'm actually aiming for quick and easy setup of 3 tiers, so weight and width are important, which is why I ruled out a Montage 7. Bottom tier would be for pianos/organs/extra real estate to spread song combinations over. For example, I feel like I need more real estate for Space Intro/Fly Like an Eagle, Can't You See, Footloose, Billie Jean, Brittany's My Prerogative, Uptown Funk, Rebel Yell, Sister Christian. Even The Spirit of Radio is cramped. Anytime a song has a piano and/or organ along with synth parts and special FX or solo sound, I find myself wanting more keys.

Ideally I'd like that 3rd board to be a master controller along with the Kronos. I've dedicated certain functions per channel. Besides main sounds, ch1 is also where my pads/chords/samples live to trigger with my feet via my FCB1010. Ch2 is bass, which is layered with the Minitaur when I bring that. Ch3 is for strings, organs or big analog sounds (Wanted Dead or Alive, Eagle, Boston, Jump, Subdivisions), which is why the Rev2 is A/B split ch2/3. Ch10 and ch9 are for drums and percussion.

And I really, really want to branch out into being able to do sequenced stuff, click track and all, so we can do stuff like Zombie's More Human, NIN's Closer, and any number of pop songs. The Kronos is a bit convoluted in the sequencing department, at least for live use. I tried to use RRPR to trigger phrases in It's My Life and Billie Jean, but you have to use Sequence mode, which is dicey because you can't pre-load songs. Yamaha's library of arps and its scratch sequencer seem like it *might* be more intuitive for triggering phrases and playing beats/synth bass lines. Although the Forte 7 might be more capable in this department, have to do more research...

Can I work a MODX7 into this workflow? I suppose since I'd be *adding* it as an additional master controller the locked MIDI channels isn't as much an issue as I initially thought. Since the Kronos and Integra are open-ended, they can mold to the MODX, as you pointed out. Mohammad and the mountain and all that...

Hmmmm..... each part with 8 elements?

Personally, I prefer the Korg structure, with each part having 2 elements, it's altogether a faster, simpler structure to work with.

Not only do you have more control over fx, you can mix and match parts much more easily.

Like anything, there's advantages to 2 elements vs 8 elements per part, and like N4dr0j says, there's wicked cool things you can accomplish if you're willing to put in the time.

But once you've done in-depth 8 element design, your building blocks, parts, are very specific, whereas 2 element design is much more open ended.

That said, the MODX7 is at the top of my list of boards I'd consider if I decided to go without built-in speakers, the value and sheer power is pretty unbeatable. And, being a Yamaha, it probably will have the largest user base out there, which means more 3d party sounds, which means I wouldn't have to go to far into the deep end!

N4dr0j, are you using the John Melas librarian/editor/sample manager program? Well worth the money if you're really digging deep, it's super well done, had it when I had my XS7.

For the record on Kronos voice structure:

- HD1 rompler is 8 multisamples × 2 OSC

- AL1 (VA synth) is 2 OSC x 2 instances

- MOD7 (FM synth) is 8 operator,

-- waveshaping

-- all DX7 algorithms

-- freely routable

Further, each program is actually a double program. You can combine either 2 rompler engines, or mix and match any of the synth engines. Also includes a drum track.

Combinations have 16 programs + 2 audio IN + 2 USB in.

12 freely routable Insert FX

2 Master FX (send/return)

2 Total FX (multi band compressor, etc)

Songs/sequences add 8 tracks audio to the Combination structure.

Kronos, like Integra, has full MIDI multimode implementation. Any of 16 programs can be assigned to any MIDI channel, allowing splits/layers/note ranges. Kronos as master controller can transmit on any of those 16 zones.

I better stop now, I love tech features. I could write a manual on this. (And practically did for the Alesis Fusion.=)

Man I have a Kronos 2 61 and a MODX8! Thats an unfair comparison lol! I regularly gig with my MODX8 and my keybed has none of the issues.

You've got a sweet setup with Kronos61 + MODX8 for gigging. I've always thought a 61 key w/aftertouch and an 88key piano action were the ideal efficient combo.

I have the MODX7 - I love it. But ive been riding Yamaha for quite awhile - I had Motif XF7, MOXF6 and now this. Feel is closer to MOXF than XF, but they really arent that different to me. The extra octave in a board that is barely longer than a 61 is really nice.

Interface is a lot friendlier than any prior board. Sounds are big, Performances are easy to quickly create. Live set make it easy to rearrange for the next nights show. Can search by key letters to quickly find a Perf you cant find by scrolling.

I appreciate and respect your input and contributions over the years. Yamahas to me have always been abundant in rompler sound quality and arps, but limited in interface and features. Wish they had a rackmount XF. With the Montage/MODX they have *somewhat* stepped up their game, if still fairly limited in MIDI implementation and synth capabilities.

Only part that takes some extra time is if you deep dive into element editing, and there its a case of how far and deep do you want to go, thats how long youll spend. You can do simple edits quickly, but to resculpt completely - you have a lot of parameters and values to play with, lots of effects that can all be modified, on and on. For this price point - its ridiculous imo.

I agree that at for $1500 you can get tons of power. It's like this last ditch effort to hang on to a dwindling market before it disappears with the aging cover band musicians before it gives way to the generation of DAW "producers".

Can I work a MODX7 into this workflow? I suppose since I'd be *adding* it as an additional master controller the locked MIDI channels isn't as much an issue as I initially thought. Since the Kronos and Integra are open-ended, they can mold to the MODX, as you pointed out. Mohammad and the mountain and all that...

and keep in mind, the MODX locked MIDI channel issue only applies to incoming MIDI (using another board or devices to send MIDI to the MODX). If you want to use the MODX a controller to send MIDI to other devices from the MODX, (to trigger external sounds), the MODX is completely flexible, nothing is locked into place. The only limitation there compared to the Kronos is you can only send on a maximum of 8 channels simultaneously (vs. 16 on the Kronos). But how often do you need to split/layer more than 8 external sounds at once? Even 8 is good, a lot of boards max at 4 (including the previous Yamaha workstations).

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

and keep in mind, the MODX locked MIDI channel issue only applies to incoming MIDI (using another board or devices to send MIDI to the MODX). If you want to use the MODX a controller to send MIDI to other devices from the MODX, (to trigger external sounds), the MODX is completely flexible, nothing is locked into place. The only limitation there compared to the Kronos is you can only send on a maximum of 8 channels simultaneously (vs. 16 on the Kronos). But how often do you need to split/layer more than 8 external sounds at once? Even 8 is good, a lot of boards max at 4 (including the previous Yamaha workstations).

Very true. The gimped MIDI implementation was a gut-level reaction. With careful planning, it can be worked around.

The Forte 7, though, has a full sequencer, super excellent MIDI implementation, and even limited sample import capability good for cover songs. And I love the form factor: supposed excellent keybed with aftertouch, slim, display access to VAST features. Its major drawback to me is the 3-decades old dated tech (esp aliasing). Are there brasses and guitars and FX worthy enough to displace a MODX? Wanting thicker analog sounds than the Kronos are why I also got analog synths. Are the Kurzweil VA synths thick enough to compete? I can only guess from forum posts and YouTube... haven't got the chance to audition in person.

The MODX has the updated DAC and post-modern FX and sensibilities. And is almost universally praised for sound quality.

Still undecided between the two for now.

Still undecided between the two for now.

If the Forte7 weighed what the MODX7 does (or even if it weighed 10 lbs more), I'd own one. Of course, people's needs are different, and sound preferences can be subjective, and we have different weight tolerances. But if you can deal with the weight, In your situation, I would give more thought to the benefit of having a hammer action. Soundwise, i think the Kurz and Yam boards will each have sounds you prefer over the other.

I gigged with the MODX8 for about 6 months - bought it when it first came out so I could leave the my Montage 8 at home. It's gone now, hated the action. Back to the Montage 8 and/or Kronos 88. The lightweight keyboard wasn't worth the terrible action to me. ymmv

The MODX8 is wider than the PX5S I already own, so that's not a contender. Good to hear about its terrible action to make sure it doesn't take time away to consider against the MODX7 or Forte 7.

The Forte 7 is slightly heavier than my Kronos 61, but I've read posts where they say that it's well-blanced due to its form factor, making the weight tolerable for repeated gig travel.

The feature set is a strong allure on the Forte, but the same can be said for the MODX.

I guess what I need to do now is find boards to personally audition. I'd go first with the Forte for features, and sound if it lives up to the hype. Nice weighted action + aftertouch + multi-timbral excellence + workstation = very strong draw. But very hesitant on the old rompler library and FX structure.

"I agree that at for $1500 you can get tons of power. It's like this last ditch effort to hang on to a dwindling market before it disappears with the aging cover band musicians before it gives way to the generation of DAW "producers".

Yeah I wonder about that as well. Young people today have grown up in a different period of time than those of us that grew up with rock n roll, garage bands, club bands, "going to dances". Rock Concerts.

I don't know if young people have the interest in learning how to play an instrument and sticking with it. All too often I see people Texting and playing with their iphones. In an instant gratification world, its hard to imagine being committed to learning how to play.

The ModX is a real bargain from what I've heard and some of the reviews I've read. Think about it $1499 for a 76 key synth with all those capabilities. I've read some complaints about the keyboard being crappy, but what do you expect for 1500 bucks? I suppose if I could get use to an Alesis ION keyboard, I can get use to anything.

Yamaha Motif ES8, Alesis Ion, Prophet 5 Rev 3.2, 1979 Rhodes Mark 1 Suitcase 73 Piano, Arp Odyssey Md III, Roland R-70 Drum Machine, Digitech Vocalist Live Pro. Roland Boss Chorus Ensemble CE-1.

Any MODX8 owners whove had their boards for 6 months care to report on the durability (moving for gigs) and action (key clacking)?

Ive heard not so good things on the Yamaha Forums but am interested in hearing from guys here.

Ill probably end up with a CP73 as a secondary board,but want to do my due diligence for all possibilties.

Contrary to above - mine IS clacky! It is really nice for about the first two-three weeks but then the noise comes in again. There are a few others who have even had to return theirs for a new unit the noise was that bad! https://yamahamusicians.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=186&t=11800&sid=48314e8c73c96ce65fb73a496a4a371f

There is no luck - luck is simply the confluence of circumstance and co-incidence...

Time is the final arbiter for all things

So is Yamaha replacing the KB's on newer MODX synths? Better change the keybed.

Yamaha Motif ES8, Alesis Ion, Prophet 5 Rev 3.2, 1979 Rhodes Mark 1 Suitcase 73 Piano, Arp Odyssey Md III, Roland R-70 Drum Machine, Digitech Vocalist Live Pro. Roland Boss Chorus Ensemble CE-1.

My keyboard is fine. I think. I mean, i play with either headphones or in a loud ass rock band. Maybe they are noisy as all heck too and i dont even know it.

Naw, i think its fine. Pretty sure. Maybe.

The baiting I do is purely for entertainment value. Please feel free to ignore it.

Gah, I keep going back and forth between a Nord electro and a modx8. Eventually I'd like both, or something similar, to replace my single pc361 that has been having issues, and will be retired to a nice life in my home studio. So it's mainly a question of what to get first. Currently leaning Nord, but as Scarlett said: "Tomorrow is another day." :D

Heading to Guitar Center tomorrow to see how I like the modx8 action. I tried it once before and thought it was fine. I REALLY wish it could use standard power cords, that sounds like a minor deal but I really like when all my gear (mixers etc) can use the same power cords.

For the Nord, I'll see if my buddy's electro can manage to cover 80s tunes (Loverboy etc) in a pinch. We don't do that many currently and I don't need many/any splits with multiple sounds.

Gah, I keep going back and forth between a Nord electro and a modx8. Eventually I'd like both, or something similar, to replace my single pc361 that has been having issues, and will be retired to a nice life in my home studio. So it's mainly a question of what to get first. Currently leaning Nord, but as Scarlett said: "Tomorrow is another day." :D

Heading to Guitar Center tomorrow to see how I like the modx8 action. I tried it once before and thought it was fine. I REALLY wish it could use standard power cords, that sounds like a minor deal but I really like when all my gear (mixers etc) can use the same power cords.

For the Nord, I'll see if my buddy's electro can manage to cover 80s tunes (Loverboy etc) in a pinch. We don't do that many currently and I don't need many/any splits with multiple sounds.

Im interested to hear your impressions, Stokely.

I actually liked it better han the Montage 8, but have some concerns as o longevity and durability.....

it would only be a backup board....

"I have constantly tried to deliver only products which withstand the closest scrutiny � products which prove themselves superior in every respect.�

Robert Bosch, 1919

Just as an aside, I've been in a band for 18 months, and usually get zero feedback on the sounds I choose etc. At band practice last night I gave my MODX7 some more volume on a few songs and had feedback of 'Wow those sounds are fat' ;) All bog standard presets too.

Just as an aside, I've been in a band for 18 months, and usually get zero feedback on the sounds I choose etc. At band practice last night I gave my MODX7 some more volume on a few songs and had feedback of 'Wow those sounds are fat' ;) All bog standard presets too.

Yeah, even as the default sound guy for my bands I've always shied towards keeping keys on the lower side of volume. Not sure why I did.

Since the guitarist and vocalist have taken over those duties after I took a 3 month "vacation", I've gotten more assertive and brought the keys up much louder in volume.

And that only increased the compliments I got.

I agree that at for $1500 you can get tons of power. It's like this last ditch effort to hang on to a dwindling market before it disappears with the aging cover band musicians before it gives way to the generation of DAW "producers".

Yeah I wonder about that as well. Young people today have grown up in a different period of time than those of us that grew up with rock n roll, garage bands, club bands, "going to dances". Rock Concerts.

I don't know if young people have the interest in learning how to play an instrument and sticking with it. All too often I see people Texting and playing with their iphones. In an instant gratification world, its hard to imagine being committed to learning how to play.

The ModX is a real bargain from what I've heard and some of the reviews I've read. Think about it $1499 for a 76 key synth with all those capabilities. I've read some complaints about the keyboard being crappy, but what do you expect for 1500 bucks? I suppose if I could get use to an Alesis ION keyboard, I can get use to anything.

I'm a Gen-X so I straddle the 2 generations, but I agree that it seems like younger live keyboard players are gravitating more towards EDM and focus more on knobs than keyboard. Unless you're worship or jazz like Cory Henry.

The more I look at my options -- MODX7 or Forte 7 -- the MODX7 makes more sense from user testimony, sound quality, and weight. If there was a MODX engine inside a Forte 7 form factor I wouldn't even hesitate.

(By the way, I've got a Micron hooked up to a BCF/BCR combo, so I get all the knobby goodness of the Ion and more. I won't ever sell that combo for sound and nostalgia reasons, great combo).

Contrary to above - mine IS clacky! It is really nice for about the first two-three weeks but then the noise comes in again.

Is your SL88 quieter than the MODX?

Totally! SL88 and the TP40L is a pleasure to play on!

There is no luck - luck is simply the confluence of circumstance and co-incidence...

Ain't that the truth!!

I'd go first with the Forte for features, and sound if it lives up to the hype. Nice weighted action + aftertouch + multi-timbral excellence + workstation = very strong draw. But very hesitant on the old rompler library and FX structure.

FX structure is stronger on the Forte. In terms of how many insert effects can be simultaneously used from the keyboard itself, MODX has 16, which can only be allocated as 2 effects per sound on up to 8 sounds total. Forte has 32 effects units which can be allocated any way you want. It's not a simple comparison, as a single Kurzweil effect can employ multiple effects units (among other architectural differences), but broadly speaking, it is a much more flexible fx architecture. If you're playing a single MODX sound, you have a max of two insert fx, or if you're playing a 2-sound split/layer, you can put up to two on each; with Kurz you could load up tons of fx on a single sound, or split the fx any way you want among two sounds in a split/layer. At least that's my understanding.

Rompler library comparison varies with personal preference and which sounds you're comparing, but I would not assume you'd like MODX instrument sounds more than Forte or vice versa.

If there was a MODX engine inside a Forte 7 form factor I wouldn't even hesitate.

I'm happy with my MODX7, but if there were a Forte engine inside a MODX7 form factor, I wouldn't hesitate to buy that, either. ;-) I'm honestly not sure what I'd prefer. But part of that may also be a function of what other board you'd be pairing it with.

Ive never seen a Forte. ive not seen any Kurtz in any store. What brick n mortars carry them? Ive always wanted to try one out ... curious is the cat ...

just picked up a MODX6 ,really nice board and i think the action is a step up from the MOXF i traded in . the one problem is the fixed midi

channel issue . i don't have anything that can transmit on all channels.

this is what is required ? can i do this with an event processor ?