Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Casio Privia PX-S1000 ($600) and S3000 ($800)

It took my Guitar Center guys about 10 minutes over the phone to realize they had it in stock. They were confusing it with an older Casio. They finally figured out that they had 1 white s1000 and 1 black s1000. The white one was not yet for sale. They opened up the black one for me to try and buy.

Yes, I considered the possibility that they actually had one but werent aware that it was something NEW and DIFFERENT from the others! I was too annoyed to find out at that point.

Yamaha P515 & CK88, Pianoteq, Mainstage, iOS, assorted other stuff.

I recommend you try the S1000 and S3000 next to a Yamaha P-515 , at Guitar Center, before you jump in. . .

Yes, wouldnt that be illuminating? If only...

I hit both Guitar Center and Sam Ash today. Neither place had either the P-515 or the S1000. Plenty of other, cheaper, Yamahas and Casios, but nothing Im interested in. Maddening.

Just played the Casio CDP-S100, PX-S1000 and Yamaha P-515 next to each other. Yamaha P-515 is in another league, consistent and smooth as butter (but twice the price, understandably).

As for the two Casios - I was going back and forth between the CDP and PX for half an hour, and couldn't tell if they have the same or different action. They feel close, black keys have equally short key pivot, but PX-S1000 was much quieter, and may be a bit more heavy/substantial.

Definitely not a bad action, better than low end Rolands or Yamahas, and if you were happy with the previous Privias (no pun intended), you'll be much happier with the new one. But if you have extra money - try the Yamaha P-515 first.

Can someone here with an s1000 confirm whether the disable speaker (function F7) works on their board? Im trying to determine if I have a faulty unit.

It doesn't work on mine either :(

Ok... just looked at the manual and it appears how your board (and mine) is operating is in fact correct! This basically toggles the speakers on/off when headphones are connected! So basically, you'll either have to plug in a set of headphones (or just get a male headphone plug without any wires connected to it) in order to shut it off.

Here's the exact wording from the manual:

SPEAKER OUT:

Controls whether or not sound is output from the speakers when something is plugged into either of the PHONES jacks. Sound is not output when this setting is disabled (default), and output when it is enabled.

PianoManChuck

Authorized reseller: Casio, Dexibell, Kurzweil, Nord, iLoud, Viscount

Keyboard Reviews +

Im wondering how similar the 515 action might be to the Montage - which I absolutely love.

It's heavier and graded. Very different from the Montage.

Sorry, incorrect...the graded action (or GHS) is the cheaper Yamaha weighted keybed and it is on the MODX.

The Balanced keybed (the better one) is on the Montage, and I daresay the 515 as well as, afaik, Yamaha only make the two weighted keybeds....any other differences you may read about are perceptions, imo!

There is no luck - luck is simply the confluence of circumstance and co-incidence...

Time is the final arbiter for all things

Im wondering how similar the 515 action might be to the Montage - which I absolutely love.

It's heavier and graded. Very different from the Montage.

Sorry, incorrect...the graded action (or GHS) is the cheaper Yamaha weighted keybed and it is on the MODX.

The Balanced keybed (the better one) is on the Montage, and I daresay the 515 as well as, afaik, Yamaha only make the two weighted keybeds....any other differences you may read about are perceptions, imo!

http://faq.yamaha.com/us/en/article/musical-instruments/keyboards/digitalpianos/p_series/p-80/330/6575/

P-515 has one of the Yamaha's best (graded) actions:

https://ca.yamaha.com/en/products/musical_instruments/pianos/p_series/p-515/features.html#product-tabs

P-515 (48 lb, 8 oz)

PX-S1000 (24 lb)

No contest in weight for gigging.

Find 660 of my jazz piano arrangements of standards for educational purposes and tutorials at www.Patreon.com/HarryLikas Harry was the Technical Editor of Mark Levine's "The Jazz Theory Book" and helped develop "The Jazz Piano Book."

Yamaha P515: it also has no PB or knobs/sliders.

Numa Piano X73 /// Kawai ES920 /// Casio CT-X5000 /// Yamaha EW425

Yamaha Melodica and Alto Recorder

QSC K8.2 // JBL Eon One Compact // Soundcore Motion Boom Plus 

Win10 laptop i7 8GB // iPad Pro 9.7" 32GB

http://faq.yamaha.com/us/en/article/musical-instruments/keyboards/digitalpianos/p_series/p-80/330/6575/

P-515 has one of the Yamaha's best (graded) actions

Right, Yamaha has multiple graded actions (i.e. MODX8, P255, CP4 are all different), and multiple non-graded (balanced) actions (CP1/CP5 vs. Montage 8 vs. probably CP73). All balanced vs. graded tells you is whether the keys are weighted the same from bottom keys through top, vs. heavier on bottom and lighter on top. Theoretically, any weighted action design could be manufactured either way, depending on whether they use the same or different weights throughout the key span. This is why, based on the total weight and the nomenclature, I guessed that the BHS action of the CP73 might be a non-graded version of the GHS of the MODX8, etc.

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

Thanks. Now Im reminded of why I wish this board had midi.

What are you trying to do? Go from the board to a computer or interface?

You just need a standard USB B to USB A cable.

Or are you trying to go from the Casio USB B to a standard MIDI DIN?

There's tons of inexpensive solutions out there for that as well.

David

Gig Rig:Casio Privia PX-5S | Yamaha MODX+ 6 | MacBook Pro 14" M1| Mainstage

[Or are you trying to go from the Casio USB B to a standard MIDI DIN?

These have tended to be not so common, and on the pricey side. The selection does seem to have gotten better over the last year or so, but still not so easy to find in the U.S. -- major sources like Sweetwater don't have them.

ETA: I believe they generally need an additional wall wart power supply as well.

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

Yes I want to go through an audio interface instead of directly into the computer. And yes having to add a power supply is what makes it seem clunky. I can use battery power for keyboard, computer, audio interface, and even external amp. So having to plug in a usb b to midi interface seems crazy...Im sure theres a work around usb battery or something.

I guess maybe I should re-evaluate the idea of going directly to the computer. Ive always heard that the audio interface is the better route though.

[Or are you trying to go from the Casio USB B to a standard MIDI DIN?

These have tended to be not so common, and on the pricey side. The selection does seem to have gotten better over the last year or so, but still not so easy to find in the U.S. -- major sources like Sweetwater don't have them.

ETA: I believe they generally need an additional wall wart power supply as well.

That is definitely the case with the two I googled up,

Cant vouch for them, but it would be something like this,

http://www.midiplus.com/html/MIDIHOST.html

Or this...

https://www.excelvalley.com/product/midi-usb-din-converter/

The cost of them reminds us perhaps of why Casio, Yamaha, etc. drop 5pin MIDI on the models they want to sell this low in the price range.

Yamaha CP88, Casio PX-560

The cost of them reminds us perhaps of why Casio, Yamaha, etc. drop 5pin MIDI on the models they want to sell this low in the price range.

I think 5-pin MIDI is not costly to implement, but what's costly is creating a USB host. And these keyboards don't send MIDI in any way other than by sending it to a USB host. In a sense, the keyboards are embedding the simple MIDI protocol into a much more elaborate USB protocol... and so then you need a somewhat complicated/expensive device to reverse that and extract the simple MIDI back out of the USB stream.

I got a chance to demo the PS 1000 the other day.

After hearing the Yamaha P515 I was waiting to hear the Casio because so much is being said about it. Since then I have also listened to the Roland FP 30 - a board at 700 dollars list that features the Supernatural sound engine.

It doesn't look like I will be taking home the Casio. Which is too bad because of its light weight and battery capability etc.etc.

I guess the deal breaker for me is that there is still that same plunkiness in the mid range. When you play a key lightly at around B5 or C5, it has a hollow sound that sounds a bit electronic.

Also I don't get the Rhodes at all. It's not something that would be useful to me.

I played the Casio Celviano ( did I spell that right ) a few years ago At NAMM and there was none of this plunkiness.... so I was really hoping that this tonal approach would make it to the portables.

I am sure a lot of people who are less picky than I am will enjoy this.

Just had the thought-what about the PX-560? It is $400 more than the PX-S3000, but it offers alot for someone in this market

+ MIDI din plugs

+ Color touchscreen that gives access to many features, including sequencer

+ Pitchbend AND mod wheels

+ Pretty blue color

+ Possibly better ePiano sounds

+ Hex layers

+ 2 sounds for the lower split if desired

- Not as slim

- keybed / piano sound not as acclaimed as the S1000/3000

- No Bluetooth

I haven't had any 88 note boards on my radar because of the weight/schlepp factor. The PX-S3000 changed that because of the near universal praises for the keybed, piano sound and the low price point which would make it worth it, esp at 25 pounds. This would get me back to my piano roots, the pleasure of a good piano sound and action is hard to beat! The closest step up in piano action and possibly sound is probably the Yamaha P515, but its twice the weight and lots more money.

Numa Piano X73 /// Kawai ES920 /// Casio CT-X5000 /// Yamaha EW425

Yamaha Melodica and Alto Recorder

QSC K8.2 // JBL Eon One Compact // Soundcore Motion Boom Plus 

Win10 laptop i7 8GB // iPad Pro 9.7" 32GB

I guess maybe I should re-evaluate the idea of going directly to the computer. Ive always heard that the audio interface is the better route though.

The audio interface is to process the sound from the computer.

Plus you board directly into your computer with the USB B to A cable.

Your computer then plugs into your Audio interface.

If your keyboard was older and didn't have USB Midi, that is when you'd use the audio interface to connect your board to the computer i.e. Keyboard>MIDI DIN in/out>AUdio Interface MIDI DIN in/out >computer USB in.

For now your easiest and cheapest is to just get the USB cable. Connect your keyboard to the computer.

Are you using PC or Mac?

If you want your audio from the computer to go thru an Interface there are plenty of interfaces that are USB powered for $100 and less.

Don't overthink the issue :)

David

Gig Rig:Casio Privia PX-5S | Yamaha MODX+ 6 | MacBook Pro 14" M1| Mainstage