Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Korg SV-1 vs Fender Rhodes (boy, I'm glad I bought the Korg)

Of the several I've owned, the only Rhodes I really wish I'd hung onto was a Mark I suitcase. It was flawed and uneven, but it was inspiring in a way no digital keyboard can be, including the very fine Crumar Seven.

Gigging: Crumar Mojo 61, Hammond SKPro

Home: Vintage Vibe 64

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Of the several I've owned, the only Rhodes I really wish I'd hung onto was a Mark I suitcase. It was flawed and uneven, but it was inspiring in a way no digital keyboard can be, including the very fine Crumar Seven.

I was fortunate to buy my Rhodes Mark 1 Suitcase Rhodes before that model was replaced by the Mark II. There were problems with some of the early Rhodes and some with later models. I added an isolation kit to the Flat Top I bought for my Rhodes so I could put a synth on top of the Rhodes without getting noise interference. I also had my Piano Tech put a split on the lower two octaves that could be turned on via a front panel switch, and a separate output to plug into an amp so I could have separate controls for Left Hand bass. Great set up. I bought parts for it, just in case. I bought flight cases for it so I could move it without destroying it. Fortunately I wised up and parked the Rhodes at home. Too much equipment to move.

After I bought my Yamaha ES8 I used the Rhodes and Wurli sounds on the ES8 and those sounds covered to my satisfaction. Not the same as a real Rhodes, but I was playing full sequences and sounded like band. So the sounds I played live were less important. I found the organ sounds on the ES8 not very good, but I got by with the simulations to save my back. Some sacrifices have to be made.

eF7KzJkm.jpg

Mike T.

Yamaha Motif ES8, Alesis Ion, Prophet 5 Rev 3.2, 1979 Rhodes Mark 1 Suitcase 73 Piano, Arp Odyssey Md III, Roland R-70 Drum Machine, Digitech Vocalist Live Pro. Roland Boss Chorus Ensemble CE-1.

On a related note: today I installed all the 8 upgraded Rhodes models in my Nord Stage. These are the biggest version with most velocity layers. It just so happens that the amazing Swedish rhodestech who have prepared all Clavias sampled Rhodes and wurlys, also have done the work on my 1971 Stage Mark I 88 which I later upgraded with The Vintage Vibe Stereo preamp.

Today I played them side by side for the first time and the Nord has nothing on the real thing. Its hard to describe, but the dynamics is probably the biggest difference. It just plays and answers like a real instrument, and even the sampled pianos with lots of bark (like the amped one, no 7) just feels flat when comparing to the real thing. I really didnt expect the difference to be that big.

That being said, I didnt gig with my Rhodes, or my new Wurlitzer 140B, unless its something extremely specific that requires the real deal. Nord works great, and theres lots of sonic possibilities with different pianos and fix, but a real Rhodes in good/great condition beats it with ease.

www.landegren.se

Yup, includes my old comparison video of Mk1,mk2 and mk7 .....and a red Nord stage.

[video:youtube]

You have to bear with the not in the pocket playing..... mark 1 fixed by the same tech as referenced below.

On a related note: today I installed all the 8 upgraded Rhodes models in my Nord Stage. These are the biggest version with most velocity layers. It just so happens that the amazing Swedish rhodestech who have prepared all Clavias sampled Rhodes and wurlys, also have done the work on my 1971 Stage Mark I 88 which I later upgraded with The Vintage Vibe Stereo preamp.

Today I played them side by side for the first time and the Nord has nothing on the real thing. Its hard to describe, but the dynamics is probably the biggest difference. It just plays and answers like a real instrument, and even the sampled pianos with lots of bark (like the amped one, no 7) just feels flat when comparing to the real thing. I really didnt expect the difference to be that big.

That being said, I didnt gig with my Rhodes, or my new Wurlitzer 140B, unless its something extremely specific that requires the real deal. Nord works great, and theres lots of sonic possibilities with different pianos and fix, but a real Rhodes in good/great condition beats it with ease.

Plus, the SV will go south after 8 years, if youre lucky, A Rhodes or VV will last a lifetime.

My SV-1 still looks, feels and sounds like it is new. But, I've only had it for a little over 3 years. I'll report back in 5. :D:cool:

PD

"The greatest thing you'll ever learn, is just to love and be loved in return."--E. Ahbez "Nature Boy"

From what I've heard from the SV1, I believe its an excellent emulation of a real Rhodes. Gigging with a portable rig requires compromise, but I believe there is little compromise using the SV1.

Both Prof D and me owned a Yamaha ES8, so we have some common ground for comparison. I was quite pleased with the number of Yamaha Rhodes emulations, keeping in mind that I was using backing tracks and singling with a Digitech Vocalist for gigs. People in the audience were not concerned about how authentic my Rhodes sounds were on my ES8.

We are the people that are critical here, the people in the audience couldn't care less.

Mike T.

Yamaha Motif ES8, Alesis Ion, Prophet 5 Rev 3.2, 1979 Rhodes Mark 1 Suitcase 73 Piano, Arp Odyssey Md III, Roland R-70 Drum Machine, Digitech Vocalist Live Pro. Roland Boss Chorus Ensemble CE-1.

I guess it's the same discussion on practicality and reliability-for stage you need something that always is portable, in tune, have ok mechanics, and sounds the same every time.

A well maintained rhodes is like a well maintained acoustic piano - a real instrument that gives you so much more satisfaction when you play it.

A digital piano like SV1 or nord stage3, a portable swiss army knife which needs less of mantenance until it completely dies the electronic death. The responsiveness is not fantastic, but ok for the purpose. If you play a good piano and go back to a digital one....it's really yikes.

everyone said the exact same thing when the DX7 rhodes patch debuted...yet here we are having the exact same conversation 25 years later. Now I am not saying that the sv1 and the dx7 are even in the same galaxy, but the general point is the same.