Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Dixie Dregs

Talk about a world of talent and craftsmanship. Not a bad player in the bunch truthfully. Incredible craftsmanship, composition, arrangements and the playing from everyone is stellar. I discovered them with the album below, long after they broke up. I have been musically astounded by those guys ever since.

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Back when I was a fledgling guitar student, my teacher gave me a copy of Guitar Player with Frank Zappa on the cover, and a review of "Industry Standard". I went out and bought it on vinyl. While I was nowhere near playing any of it (still not, really), I enjoyed it, and dig it out from time to time. Indeed, superb musicians all around. Steve Morse became and remains one of my favorite guitarists.

While I've never seen the Dregs all together, I have seen Steve Morse live several times, including twice with Kansas; and once where Dregs keyboardist T Lavitz was his opener (yes, they did a few songs together).

Thanks for the reminder of what a great album this is.

"Am I enough of a freak to be worth paying to see?"- Separated Out (Marillion)

NEW band Old band

Well, they're likely going out on tour again this year, Cats & Kitties.

No need to wait for the long-awaited Dregs Of The Dregs Tribute Band.

2 SHORTIES

[video:youtube]

1 LONG

d=halfnote

Elsewhere I mentioned my "introduction" to The Dixie Dregs 40 or so years ago on a local public radio station, and with THIS "title" track....

Their 3rd LP.

Whitefang

I started out with NOTHING...and I still have most of it left!

I heard that album first also. I was totally knocked out by them. Then somebody came up with Night Of The Living Dregs, and listening to it, I realized I was listening to the same album. The songs were different, but the same; a fast fusion rocker, a country chicken-pickin' tune, some neo-classical fooling around, etc and so on. It seemed to me they had reached the limit of their reach. They were all great players, much better than I'll ever be, but they needed something to shake 'em up.

But I still like the tunes on What If, particularly Take It Off The Top and Ice Cakes.

Always remember that you are unique. Just like everyone else.

What I didn't like was that 'round HERE, they never DID get"mainstream" FM radio play. I'd only hear 'em on public radio. At least up until WDET switched to an "all news" format in 2005. :(

Whitefang

+1 on The Dregs and Steve Morse. I saw Steve with Deep Purple almost 5 years ago. The whole band was Smokin on the Water!

OY! :rolleyes:

Just..."HUSH!" :laugh:;)

Whitefang