Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Casio Privia PX-S1000 ($600) and S3000 ($800)

I played the PX-S1000 today and I have two words to say.

Surround Sound.

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

Surround Sound! That sounds promising!!!

Numa Piano X73 /// Kawai ES920 /// Casio CT-X5000 /// Yamaha EW425

Yamaha Melodica and Alto Recorder

QSC K8.2 // JBL Eon One Compact // Soundcore Motion Boom Plus 

Win10 laptop i7 8GB // iPad Pro 9.7" 32GB

I played the PX-S1000 today and I have two words to say.

Surround Sound.

If you were to elaborate with more than two words, what would they be?

"I like it."

:laugh:

Seriously, everyone that tried the sound modes (Hall, Surround, disabled) was really impressed by Surround.

The action is great, the piano is great, etc. I actually don't know what to say, except that it feels really natural and inviting to play. I didn't put it through its paces, but it is a very appealing instrument to play so far. I didn't feel like there were weaknesses in it. I also didn't dig around with the other tones as much. The piano is so nice you kind of want to keep playing it.

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

Regarding Jazz +'s comments on the CTX he has ( assuming the 700 ?)

And with all due respect to Mike Martin...

Overall I was disappointed with the CTX -700 when it came out about a year ago.

I greatly missed the editing capabilities of the CTK 691 and WK3000.

I did not agree with the decisions regarding the sounds overall. Given what the CTK and WK series was capable of over 10 years ago, I greatly anticipated the arrival of the new sound engine.

I am not sure who is programming these sounds but I assume that they are capable of better. But whoever is making these decisions is apparently satisfied with the results and probably assumes that the general public will be OK with all of this.

I actually ordered the CTX 700 from Guitar Center but elected not to keep it. After about a 20 minute demo I decided that the sounds I needed - acoustic piano, organ, Rhodes would just keep me in the state of wishing it were better.

This is not the case with my WK 3000 and CTK 691 though. I use one or the other all the time.

Sorry Mike. I am hoping for better from the new 88 weighted series but am also looking toward the Roland FP 30 which is priced comparably.

I played the new CDP-S100 for half an hour at GC yesterday. Had to work kind of hard to play the black keys, all in all the action made me physically quite tired after a few minute of acrobatic stride playing, I might be out of shape though.

Is the CDP-S100 the same mechanical key action as the S3000? I mean are they the same action design when the power is Off?

I know the 3000 has a new dynamic sensor software program, but that wouldn't change the physics of the weighted key action.

Find 660 of my jazz piano arrangements of standards for educational purposes and tutorials at www.Patreon.com/HarryLikas Harry was the Technical Editor of Mark Levine's "The Jazz Theory Book" and helped develop "The Jazz Piano Book."

I played the new CDP-S100 for half an hour at GC

Is the CDP-S100 the same mechanical key action as the S3000? I mean are they the same action design when the power is Off?

That's a $900 question everybody tries to avoid for some reason. This over hyped marketing campaign might backfire if Casio ends up with a lot of returned units that people pre-ordered based on reviews.

Yes, looking forward to laying my own hands on the action.

One result of the buzz over these boards has gotten me interested in an 88 sporting its own speakers, something Ive never had. Ive since circled back to the Yamaha P-515 as my plan B, which looks and sounds great in the demos. Ill pay the extra cheese.

Yamaha P515 & CK88, Pianoteq, Mainstage, iOS, assorted other stuff.

Yes, looking forward to laying my own hands on the action.

One result of the buzz over these boards has gotten me interested in an 88 sporting its own speakers, something Ive never had. Ive since circled back to the Yamaha P-515 as my plan B, which looks and sounds great in the demos. Ill pay the extra cheese.

Yes, if I wanted a stay at home board and had the extra money, the P-515 is probably the board I'd want as well. It's got MIDI sockets, more than twice the speaker power, and apparently one of the best keybeds Yamaha makes, as well as some of its best pianos. It's one of the few boards that's somewhat close in price that's comes close to or exceeds the S3000 (at least from reports) in terms of keybed and sounds.

Still eagerly awaiting user reviews of the new Casios!

I recommend you try the S1000 and S3000 next to a Yamaha P-515 , at Guitar Center, before you jump in. I think I know which I would chose. Casio has upped their product and has surpassed all the Yamahas pianos for under $1200.

Find 660 of my jazz piano arrangements of standards for educational purposes and tutorials at www.Patreon.com/HarryLikas Harry was the Technical Editor of Mark Levine's "The Jazz Theory Book" and helped develop "The Jazz Piano Book."

So I just got the PX-S1000 and tried it out... and its nothing short of amazing in just about every respect! As Casio has been saying, everything about it is new: new case/chassis, new key action, new samples, new sound chip, new user interface, etc.

Two things in particular that I like are the key action, and the deep, rich sound in the lower register of the piano samples.

So I did a video where I played Queen's "Somebody To Love" to demonstrate what the sound is like:

I'll do a full review after becoming 100% familiarized with the board.

PianoManChuck

Authorized reseller: Casio, Dexibell, Kurzweil, Nord, iLoud, Viscount

Keyboard Reviews +

^ Since the piece is in Ab it's easy to check out the geometry of the keys, and wow are they hinged close to the playable interior edge. Normally that would drive me nuts, but everyone seems to be getting along swimmingly with it (except for perhaps Jazz+).

Hopefully I'll find out in a few days with a trip to Clackamas. First thing I'll do is play legato in the area about an octave above Middle C - a problem area with samples on the PX-5s IMO.

In the meantime if anyone wants to do that for me...

:D

I might have been suffering from piano fatigue at GC when I played the CDP-S100, and it was quite a physically demanding stride I was playing. I find stride is work to play on most pianos unless the keys "fly away" which I have never experienced on any digital action.

I recommend you try the S1000 and S3000 next to a Yamaha P-515 , at Guitar Center, before you jump in. I think I know which I would chose. Casio has upped their product and has surpassed all the Yamahas pianos for under $1200.

Well, the P-515 isn't under $1200. ;-)

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

Well, the P-515 isn't under $1200. ;-)

But they are an icredible stage piano for the money... same as kawai mp7 and roland fp-9 in that price range... spending a liitle more could give you so much more

PianoManChuck, how is the playing towards the top of the keys and the black keys. That's where it gets fatiguing if its not done well.

Thanks for the heads up on the action and your enjoyment of the sound. There's NOTHING out there now on the PX-S1000 from end users, so you'd make a big splash if you did a review now, even if it wasn't comprehensive. I know my big questions are: is the keybed really all that, as in better or on par with the CP4 or other esteemed keybeds from boards under $2,000? The quality of the piano sound. And the built-in speakers: apparently they have a surround mode that's excellent, and how is the projection , esp for the player, but also for small clubs.

From the Piano world forum, here's Gary93:

Finally got a chance to try out the px-s1000.

Compare to the px160 side by side, the s1000 keys are heavier, less bounce, quicker response, and lot quieter (Which I preferred). The ivory key spread out evenly on black and white keys on the s1000, feel less plasticky, where some keyboard has different feel between the black and white keys.

Sound wise, it sounds very different than the px160. partially because the speaker position. the s1000 sounded more 'surround', but also can be kinda muffled from having rear facing speaker with small front facing speaker grill instead of upward facing on the px160. Not an expert at the sound engine, but the s1000 piano sample one sounds nicer to my ear than the px160.

Now compare to the roland, I can only compare to the f140r that the other piano store across the street has (which I read its same keys with different body than the fp30). Surprisingly they kinda feels similar. I like both being heavier than yamaha's, and kawai es110. The s1000 feel it has less bounce than the f140r.

\

The key does get little harder to press when its close to the fall board (about 0.5 inch / 1.5 cm or so), which still playable, you probably won't get that close if you played an upright piano with a straight up fallboard anyway.

My intent purpose is for practicing at home in a small space. The s1000 music stand sticks out quite a lot. Would had been nice if it was just a little rail to mount a music stand like the fp30.

I don't know about that review, he wrote:

"Compared to the px160 side by side, the s1000 keys are heavier, less bounce, quicker response, and lot quieter (Which I preferred). The ivory key spread out evenly on black and white keys on the s1000, feel less plasticky, where some keyboard has different feel between the black and white keys."

I'm confused.

"less bounce, heavier with quicker response"?

On a real piano I think heavier with less bounce means they don't fly away and return as quickly... bounce is good in my mind and another word for fast return. To not be bouncy means sluggish in my vocabulary: An old tennis ball is not as bouncy as a new one.

Heavier keys are harder for me to press at high speeds. I like a Steinway, Yamaha, or Mason and Hamlin grand piano regulated to the point where the keys practically fly away if you breathe on them. That way I can play for many hours and I can play fast almost effortlessly.

I'll do my own testing side by side with my Privia PX-360.

He sells them:

[video:youtube]

bounce is good in my mind and another word for fast return. To not be bouncy means sluggish in my vocabulary

Bounce (as I think most people use it when talking about digital pianos) is not fast return, it's the phenomenon where, after the return, the key bounces slightly down and then up again, sometims multiple times (in rapid succession). So then fast return is desirable, bounce is not.

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

S1000 have a way to do direct patch selection, etc?

Can it accept MIDI patch change, etc. from MainStage or Cantabile?

Or do you have to press button and press audible key strike to do everything on this interface?

Yes, It recognizes bank select MSB and program change to select tones via MIDI. The PX-S1000 manual has a chart listing the parameters needed to call up each preset tone.

It's also possible to select tones from Casio's own mobile app, Chordana Play for piano.

As for audible key strikes to select tones, notification tones can be disabled.

S1000 have a way to do direct patch selection

Two sounds (piano, EP) have direct selection. The other 15 can be accessed by holding a button and striking a specified key.

He sells them:

[video:youtube]

Yeah so that invalidates all of his reviews :facepalm:

Have you thought about giving it a rest for awhile? We will know if we like or or not when it is fully released and we get to play it.

I fully understood what PianoMan Chuck was saying about "less bounce: heavier feel"

My Roland FA-08 has a heavier, less bouncy feel than my PX-5S, and for me that means I can play faster trills, etc...

Or as you like to say "really blow"

David

Gig Rig:Casio Privia PX-5S | Yamaha MODX+ 6 | MacBook Pro 14" M1| Mainstage

I played the S3000 at SynthPlex this morning. All these bouncy/not bouncy terms are confusing for me. All I know is that the keys return fast enough to do even triple strikes at a high tempo. It's a really nice keybed for the price range.
www.youtube.com/c/InTheMixReviews

I played the S3000 at SynthPlex this morning. All these bouncy/not bouncy terms are confusing for me. All I know is that the keys return fast enough to do even triple strikes at a high tempo. It's a really nice keybed for the price range.

Thanks Sam!

David

Gig Rig:Casio Privia PX-5S | Yamaha MODX+ 6 | MacBook Pro 14" M1| Mainstage

bounce is good in my mind and another word for fast return. To not be bouncy means sluggish in my vocabulary

Bounce (as I think most people use it when talking about digital pianos) is not fast return, it's the phenomenon where, after the return, the key bounces slightly down and then up again, sometims multiple times (in rapid succession). So then fast return is desirable, bounce is not.

Exactly. That is a significant difference between the new PXS keybed and the PX5S, for example. All of us demonstrators from NAMM noticed it, and I specifically compared the two models. There's no (or very little) extraneous movement after the key return, which made playing feel more responsive and accurate.

Jerry

EscapeRocks,

I never said it invalidated anything, stop putting words in my mouth.

You only have praise for these new models. How have you had advanced access? Do you have a connection to the marketing or sales of Casios in any way?