Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Great keyboard solos in pop tunes

So I just worked up Rhythm of the Night (DeBarge, written by Diane Warren). Got called for one of the corporate bands I play in. Never learned it back in the day until now. I dig the synth "flute" solo, so I learned the thing verbatim. Was it Jeff Lorber on the recording?

That got me listening to DeBarge's Who's Holding Donna Now, with another great synth solo - was that one David Foster?

And that got me thinking about Greg Phillinganes' solo on 100 Ways (always loved it), and Lou Pardini's solo on Smokey Robinson's Just To See Her.

Any other pop tunes you guys remember with a well-crafted keyboard solo?

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

How long before Rosanna and Africa show up?

Those, plus "Pamela" and "99."

Hardware

Yamaha MODX7, DX7, PSR-530, SY77/Korg TR-Rack, 01/W Pro X, Trinity Pro X, Karma/Ensoniq ESQ-1, VFX-SD

Behringer DeepMind12, Model D, Odyssey, 2600/Roland RD-1000/Arturia Keylab MKII 61

Software

Studio One/V Collection 9/Korg Collection 4/Cherry Audio/UVI SonicPass/EW Composer Cloud/Omnisphere, Stylus RMX, Trilian/IK Total Studio 3.5 MAX/Roland Cloud

Bruce Hornsby on "The Way It Is".

Jules Holland on Fine Young Cannibals' "Good Thing".

Paul Shaffer on Scandal's "Goodbye to You".

Rod Argent on "Hold Your Head Up", "Time of the Season", and "She's Not There".

C3/122, M102A, Vox V301H, Farfisa Compact, Gibson G101, GEM P, RMI 300A, Piano Bass, Pianet , Prophet 5 rev. 2, Pro-One, Matrix 12, OB8, Korg MS20, Jupiter 6, Juno 60, PX-5S, Nord Stage 3 Compact

A couple of my favorites:

Blake Levinsohns synth break in Franke and the Knockouts Sweetheart

The keyboard solo in Totos Waiting for Your Love

Live: Yamaha S70XS (#1); Roland Jupiter-80; Mackie 1202VLZ4: IEMs or Traynor K4

Home: Hammond SK Pro 73; Moog Minimoog Voyager Electric Blue; Yamaha S70XS (#2); Wurlitzer 200A

Bob Mayo on "Do You Feel Like We Do"

Edit: Ah yes, I guess this would be a rock solo too!

100% agreement - DYFLWD one of the greatest, if not THE greatest keyboard solo in all recorded history!

And since we can't resist mixing rock and pop, got to throw in some Doors - Light my Fire

Some music I've recorded and played over the years with a few different bands

Tommy Rude Soundcloud

Been listening to some old Sting recently, first 4 solo albums. Of course you have Kenny Kirkland killing it all over the first one.

Ten Summoner's Tales - '93 has amazing work by David Sancious with a truly wonderful Hammond solo on track 7, St. Augustine in Hell, in 7/8 time. That song isn't necessarily pop, but I'd certainly classify the album as.

In general, great keyboard all over Sting's catalog, including the Police.

Mills Dude -- Lefty Hack

So I just worked up Rhythm of the Night (DeBarge, written by Diane Warren). Got called for one of the corporate bands I play in. Never learned it back in the day until now. I dig the synth "flute" solo, so I learned the thing verbatim. Was it Jeff Lorber on the recording?

That got me listening to DeBarge's Who's Holding Donna Now, with another great synth solo - was that one David Foster?

And that got me thinking about Greg Phillinganes' solo on 100 Ways (always loved it), and Lou Pardini's solo on Smokey Robinson's Just To See Her.

Any other pop tunes you guys remember with a well-crafted keyboard solo?

Tim, I went off on a wild rail there without even considering the genre you're referencing here! Maybe something more in line would be pretty much any Steely Dan keys solos, Black Cow is great

Some music I've recorded and played over the years with a few different bands

Tommy Rude Soundcloud

Billy Joel's opening to "Angry Young Man".

Jerry Harrison's solo at 4:41 in the live version of "Life During Wartime" from the Stop Making Sense movie (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p6tMRXTlMV4).

Bernie Worrell's playing on the same song is the equivalent of a rhythm guitarist extraordinaire throughout the song, and he plays a great solo too.