Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Nice sounding demos.

Jeez, isn't that the truth. Just watched these 2 video's. Very impressive. Woody has done a video also, but I was unable to access it. Will try to get to that one again later tonight.

[video:youtube]

:nopity:

Very well-written and produced demos, and a very nice sounding piano. Not sure I'd be using that "particle engine" much myself but it's nice to see a good marriage of art and tech like this, and I might discover some new things to try because of it. Kudos to the devs.

I didn't post this earlier today because I noticed none of the various piano libraries released over the past week or two have been mentioned here yet, so I thought maybe the forum had lost interest in Virtual Instruments. :-)

The other major new releases are SampleTank 4's new Yamaha C7 (a different sound from a CFX of course), and UVI's new Keys Suite Acoustic.

I haven't listened to this new one from NI yet or checked its price, but it's from Galaxy and they always do at least a better-than-average job on their libraries. My guess is that this one is set to compete against VSL's Synchron Steinway and/or Garritan's Abbey Road (or is that one a C7?).

There's definitely no end to new piano libraries, that's for sure! I think I even forgot another recent release, as they're coming so fast and furious these days that I can't keep track.

As I have an about-to-expire coupon from Komplete 12 -- as probably many here do -- this might be worth considering at the right price with the voucher cashed in.

I just finished a super-long work day a few minutes ago so haven't the mental energy to listen to anything, but have marked this for first thing tomorrow (hopefully).

Eugenio Upright, 60th Anniversary P-Bass, USA Geddy Lee J-Bass, Yamaha BBP35, D'angelico SS Bari, EXL1,

Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, LP 57, Eastman T486, T64, Ibanez PM2, Hammond XK4, Moog Voyager

I got my second wind while downloading and installing today's SampleTank 4 MAX update and the instruments and sample library content updates as well (I suspect the reason I only see Close Mics for the C7 is that I downloaded and installed ST4 MAX the day it was released as I had pore-ordered, and probably the MAX con tent wasn't ready yet at that point).

Anyway, the main demos for Noire sound quite nice, and I also quite like the felt preparations. At $149 before applying a voucher, this is a likely buy. The only other CFX I have is the VSL Synchron Pianos library for the Diskclavier enhanced CFX. And though it is quite deep, it is more for sitting in large arrangements; whereas the one from NI seems better suited for intimate settings. I also like the hall it was recorded in.

Eugenio Upright, 60th Anniversary P-Bass, USA Geddy Lee J-Bass, Yamaha BBP35, D'angelico SS Bari, EXL1,

Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, LP 57, Eastman T486, T64, Ibanez PM2, Hammond XK4, Moog Voyager

Just bought it and am installing it overnight. Now I wish I hadn't wasted my OTHER voucher on some of those whatchamacallits that combine multiple products with patches across several of them (like Kore used to do). But I think that was a panic buy with no resulting charge (i.e. free) before one of them was going to expire in a day, as I had been holding out on the K12 voucher in case something interesting came along before it expires in June or thereabouts.

Download size is around 14.5 GB. The license is automatically registered, so it's ready to go once you launch Native Access to access the download link. It looks like it's going to be slow; they're probably getting hit with a lot of simultaneous buys.

I did just look up Garritan, and it is $199 when not on sale, plus it takes up 133 GB of disc space -- mostly due to so many mic choices. I'm not a big fan of the fairly unstable (on macOS at least) Aria engine though; nor is Abbey Road Studio One my favourite room for grand piano.

I just never got around to buying this one, even though I picked up other Garritan libraries on sale due to so many unusual instruments that are covered. But on sale, the Garritan CFX is going to be competitive even on the price point, with this new Noire library, even before making qualitative comparisons.

I'm willing to bet the comparison demos are going to start flying fast and furious real soon, as this is the more directly competitive product vs. VSL's Synchron Pianos, which are more oriented towards blending with orchestra and other large arrangement contexts.

What I particularly like is the Particles Engine that alternates dynamically between pure and other piano sounds, such as brushed, picked, or mallets striking the keys. Geoff Manchester's video shows some of this in use (starting at 2:15):

[video:youtube]8V3AmhsoEl0

Best,

Geoff

My Blue Someday appears on Apple Music | Spotify | YouTube | Amazon

Here's the user manual:

https://www.native-instruments.com/fileadmin/ni_media/downloads/manuals/NOIRE_Manual.pdf

I don't see anything about what mics were used, or an ability to mix the mic setup. But there's lots in there on playability aspects (pedaling etc.).

I'm awfully tired at this hour, so maybe I missed something. The download is now 28% done after 45 minutes, so it'll have to run overnight and hopefully none of our infamous power surges or brownouts/blackouts.

Geoff, I noticed that reference to brush, mallets etc. also and was intrigued, but am too tired to parse the details at this hour, so once I saw the mention of "Particles Engine" it sounded like 100% pure synthesis effecting of the recorded sound vs. additional preparations that were recorded and can be blended with the natural sound. I do like those demos though.

The demos sound gorgeous. Checking out the manual, theres so much depth and so many of the right sculpting options Im thinking NOIRE will be the most versatile and likely enjoyable piano Ill access. Looks like a little less hoop-jumping to install than usual and loads in free Kontakt Player. Seems a ridiculous price for what you get. Whats not to like?

Here for the gear.

I don't see anything about what mics were used

Mark, check out the 2nd video I posted above when you have an extra 10 minutes. The Microphones used were a stereo pair of Neumann M 50's over the strings closest to the player and another microphone at the other end of the piano in the center (couldn't make out what it is).

I agree with you the the room is fantastic.

:nopity:

My first impression type of experience so far of 3 'pure' presets category. It's a VERY interesting piano by the way. It sounds good, it gives a lot of tweak-able parameters (unlike most NI Pianos) and of course the sound design aspect of it is awesome as well.

www.youtube.com/c/InTheMixReviews

Not sure I'd be using that "particle engine" much myself...

Oh man, that's why I want it. I want to see where it takes me.

9 Moog things, 3 Roland things, 2 Hammond things and a computer with stuff on it

OK, having watched the second video, I see why there's no microphone choice or mix in this library, and that's because they threw out all the others early on before finishing the sessions as they felt (rightfully so in my view) that the only ones they needed were the player-centered stereo pair of Neumann M50's near the front and the Coles 4038 ribbon mic closer to the rear.

http://recordinghacks.com/microphones/Neumann/M-50

I was not previously familiar with the rare M50 mic, which is similar to the M49 but different in a few significant ways.

I do have a Peluso pair that is based on the M49 and it is one of my favourite mics for many things, including piano. And as I like that pair in the front with a Coles 4038 in the back, from previous sessions (I own a 4038 and it is great on piano as it presents a very balanced signal), it is not surprising to me that this is the setup that was chosen for Noire.

Figures, my one really nice piano is also a CFX (Garritan CFX lite). I have been investing in NI recently though. I wonder if this will end up being part of regular Komplete (I'd guess not if it isn't already).

I wonder if this will end up being part of regular Komplete (I'd guess not if it isn't already).

Typically, libraries that come out in between Komplete releases are later included as part of the following Komplete release; so it's likely that Noire will be part of Komplete 13 when it debuts (probably late next year).

Best,

Geoff

My Blue Someday appears on Apple Music | Spotify | YouTube | Amazon

Bumping to see if anyone has purchased Noire and can compare it with, or prefers it to Cinepiano (former No.1 wish list).

Does CinePiano include any 'extended techniques', Felt versions, Una Corda...etc? or it's just a straight forward traditional piano library?

www.youtube.com/c/InTheMixReviews

• 4 weeks later...
Bumping to see if anyone has purchased Noire and can compare it with, or prefers it to Cinepiano (former No.1 wish list).

Does CinePiano include any 'extended techniques', Felt versions, Una Corda...etc? or it's just a straight forward traditional piano library?

Cinepiano (piano in blue) has a tape setting that simulates a recording technique used on jazz recordings from the blue note era. Piano In Blue is a beautiful soulful vst. I enjoy it mostly at home in a quiet environment. For live gigs its not quite as good to me (in cutting through) as some others. Another issue is that it gets rather noisy if you spend much time sustaining around C5 and above. Still its fun to have the piano from Kind Of Blue.

NOIRE vs Ravenscroft vs Keyscape.

I did not use the same midi file, instead, i wanted to improvise on each one separately and let it guide me as i play.

- NOIRE default preset: 0:00

- Ravenscroft: 4:16

- Keyscape: 8:31

- NOIRE custom preset: 12:23

Very nice playing, you really showcased these three pianos' full range of expression. Hard to say which is "best" but the Noire does sound a little "bigger" for lack of a better word. My order of preference based on listening only of course! would be the Noire and Keyscape in an almost dead heat, with the Ravenscroft a little behind the pack with a slightly more "pinched" sound. However, they all sound good and in the end it's always the artist, not the brush. My sampled piano story starts with an Ensoniq Mirage. We have sure come a long way!

NOIRE vs Ravenscroft vs Keyscape.

I did not use the same midi file, instead, i wanted to improvise on each one separately and let it guide me as i play.

- NOIRE default preset: 0:00

- Ravenscroft: 4:16

- Keyscape: 8:31

- NOIRE custom preset: 12:23

Very nice playing, you really showcased these three pianos' full range of expression. Hard to say which is "best" but the Noire does sound a little "bigger" for lack of a better word. My order of preference based on listening only of course! would be the Noire and Keyscape in an almost dead heat, with the Ravenscroft a little behind the pack with a slightly more "pinched" sound. However, they all sound good and in the end it's always the artist, not the brush. My sampled piano story starts with an Ensoniq Mirage. We have sure come a long way!

Thank you. Yes we sure came a long way.

I agree, it's always the artist. After that, it's basically just picking colors:)