Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Two-tier stand with closest upper tier

Very simple, I am looking for a two-tier stand that will get the upper tier as close as possible to the lower tier. My lower keyboard has a flat top, but it is not deep enough for stacking another keyboard directly on it. I ended up drilling holes in the uprights of my Quiklok Z stand, but there is still quite a bit of space. Caveat- upper tier needs to hold at least 20 Kg. For studio use, will not be gigging, so weight/setup is not an issue. Thanks!

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

On my Apex stand, the bars of the top tier touch the top of the lower keyboard, so the distance is the thickness of the bars...so about 1". If my bottom keyboard was flatter I could get them closer, currently that keyboard is taller in the back, which makes it higher relative to the key bed. Note that they don't tilt.

Dan

Acoustic/Electric stringed instruments ranging from 4 to 230 strings, hammered, picked, fingered, slapped, and plucked. Analog and Digital Electronic instruments, reeds, and throat/mouth.

I'm dating myself here, but I have an old Ultimate Support Systems two-tier A-frame stand that I use for this purpose and it works great. I use Korg DW-8000 as the lower keyboard with my Hammond XK-3 as upper. I played some games removing and re-attaching the supports to get the keyboards really close together, kind of a poor-man's XK "Pro" setup. I like the A-frames because I play bass pedals as well, so X and Z stands don't work for me.

I'll see if I can dig up a picture, I know I took some a while ago.

Lou

Standtastic stands do a good job of this....

Depends. They have that circular part where the pins go to adjust the tier angle. As long as you don't want to push the keyboard all the way back to the uprights, you can get them close. Otherwise that part can add a few inches of space....of course this depends on the height and shape of the back of the lower tier keyboard. But it can come into play when it comes to lining up the keyboards front to back.

Dan

Acoustic/Electric stringed instruments ranging from 4 to 230 strings, hammered, picked, fingered, slapped, and plucked. Analog and Digital Electronic instruments, reeds, and throat/mouth.

I like it that way too. Use my bottom keyboard only as a piano-parts MIDI controller, so I don't need to see it. My Spider Pro lets me put the two tiers as close together as I want. I don't use the angled top-tier that came with it, though; at one point I had bought a non-angled extra tier when I briefly flirted with using three keyboards for my rig; since then I just removed the original angled top tier and use the two parallel tiers. But I think the "Baby" Spider Pro model comes with both tiers non-angled.

Rich Forman

Yamaha MOXF8, Korg Kronos 2-61, Roland Fantom X7, Ferrofish B4000+ organ module, Roland VR-09, EV ZLX12P, K&M Spider Pro stand,

Yamaha S80, Korg Trinity Plus

I like it that way too. Use my bottom keyboard only as a piano-parts MIDI controller, so I don't need to see it. My Spider Pro lets me put the two tiers as close together as I want. I don't use the angled top-tier that came with it, though; at one point I had bought a non-angled extra tier when I briefly flirted with using three keyboards for my rig; since then I just removed the original angled top tier and use the two parallel tiers. But I think the "Baby" Spider Pro model comes with both tiers non-angled.

The "Baby" Spider Pro" comes with just one set of arms; you have to buy the 2nd set separately. And the combo of the two sets don't completely fold up into the column (which isn't tall enough).

The "Baby" Spider Pro" comes with just one set of arms; you have to buy the 2nd set separately.

correct

And the combo of the two sets don't completely fold up into the column (which isn't tall enough).

the OP stated that this is a stationary set up ; so although also correct, is not an issue in the particular case.

:nopity:

I own the Baby Spider Pro and have gigged it as a 2 tier rig for years now.

It will allow tight vertical placement of two boards, albeit the height of the upper arms is the only minimum clearance (you can position relative heights so the top arms rest on the bottom board, if that's your desire).

Yes, you have to purchase the 2nd set of arms. Yes, it doesn't fully fold up if you install them. And yes, both my sets of arms are 90 degree flat, not angled.

Finally, note the Baby is shorter than the normal "Spider Pro" so take that into account if you're planning on using standing or seated.

And the combo of the two sets don't completely fold up into the column (which isn't tall enough).

the OP stated that this is a stationary set up ; so although also correct, is not an issue in the particular case.

True - I just thought I'd supply some bonus information :)

And I'm thinking of going with this setup myself:

K&M Baby Spider Pro with second set of support arms. :thu:

Very simple, I am looking for a two-tier stand that will get the upper tier as close as possible to the lower tier. My lower keyboard has a flat top, but it is not deep enough for stacking another keyboard directly on it. I ended up drilling holes in the uprights of my Quiklok Z stand, but there is still quite a bit of space. Caveat- upper tier needs to hold at least 20 Kg. For studio use, will not be gigging, so weight/setup is not an issue. Thanks!

What's your lower board? If the top panel is truly flat, or has minimal controls very close to the keys (e.g. P200/P250/CP300, VPC1, small slab DP's like Yamaha P115, Kawai ES110, etc.), you can't beat a WS-550 with the tonysounds mod. Basically, the front feet of your top board rest directly on the bottom board. The back end is held up by threaded rods with rubber tips on 'em.

https://forums.musicplayer.com/ubbthreads.php/topics/2373769/WS550_Mod_for_2nd_tier

A pic of a slightly modified version of the same idea, with an On-Stage KS7150 and some very minor woodworking, at the bottom of this post:

https://forums.musicplayer.com/ubbthreads.php/topics/2461221/Re_Flat_top_88_key_midicontrol#Post2461221

What's your lower board? If the top panel is truly flat, you can't beat a WS-550 with the tonysounds mod. Basically, the front feet of your top board rest directly on the bottom board. The back end is held up by threaded rods with rubber tips on 'em.

My bottom board is a VAX77:

PpdESN2.jpg

I have about 6" of completely flat surface to work with, so the TonySounds mod looks like a great idea! I will also check into the other suggestions mentioned so far. Of course, if I wasn't so OCD I could probably live with what I already have...!

My On Stage (I think model KS7365EJ) Z Stand is rock solid and allows both height and tilt adjustments for the upper tier. Literally, the thickness of the upper tier bars -- about 2 cm -- is the only limiting factor.

I'm happy enough with it that I bought a second one for home.

Caveat: A lot of people dislike it because it takes a few minutes to set up, especially if you knock it down completely for transportation. I have recently stopped the full knockdown, opting for just removal of the top tier and folding the rest. takes about 1 minute, if that.

-Tom Williams

{First Name} {at} AirNetworking {dot} com

PC4-7, PX-5S, AX-Edge, PC361

Guys, on subject here but a bit off.

For those of you gigging with a dual-manual organ and a stage piano I have 2 questions:

1. Do you place the organ on the upper tier and the stage piano on the bottom or vice versa?

2. What stand do you use so that whatever board is on the upper tier isn't too high?

Thanks, Mike

My Rig: Stage Piano: Korg Grandstage 73 - Organ: Hammond SKx - Amps: Motion Sound KP-500s - Mixer: Yamaha MGU10

What's your lower board? If the top panel is truly flat, you can't beat a WS-550 with the tonysounds mod. Basically, the front feet of your top board rest directly on the bottom board. The back end is held up by threaded rods with rubber tips on 'em.

PpdESN2.jpg

I have about 6" of completely flat surface to work with, so the TonySounds mod looks like a great idea! I will also check into the other suggestions mentioned so far. Of course, if I wasn't so OCD I could probably live with what I already have...!

I did the same with my VAX. I put small rubber feet on the front of a VMK-61 Organ, which sit on the top of the VAX. The back of the VMK rest on the rubber tipped poles of my dual tier stand, without the arms.

Very simple, I am looking for a two-tier stand that will get the upper tier as close as possible to the lower tier. My lower keyboard has a flat top, but it is not deep enough for stacking another keyboard directly on it. . .

I have a similar situation downstairs. I realized that if I removed the top half of my 2nd tier arms (x stand) where they pivot, the remaining posts can be angled to support the overhang of a second keyboard resting on my KX88.

Sometimes the best solution is the simplest.

Yamaha P515 & CK88, Pianoteq, Mainstage, iOS, assorted other stuff.

The key to the Invisible is that the 2nd tier support is backward-facing. The other stand that can work that way is the K&M 18880 with the 18881 stacker, if you flip the stacker around so it faces backwards. This is how you get around the 2nd tier ams themselves adding height above (and/or impeding access ot the controls of) the first keyboard,

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

PpdESN2.jpg

That rig is a prime candidate for sure. I assume that's the Quiklok Z-726? Seems like you should be able to get creative and execute a similar idea, using the back crossbar that the stock 2nd tier supports attach to. You could even just chop off the uprights at an appropriate height (I usually have a local muffler place or other welding shop handle those jobs for me), and put some sort of rubber cover on top of each, but the threaded-rod approach is handy because the exact height is infinitely adjustable, so it's easier to get the same exact height and eliminate wobbles.

Motomike,

I use 2 kbds, put the organ on the bottom and the other one on top. I leave the bottom one, a Nord 5D, on organ sound 90%, so adjustments are minimal; hard to adjust the bottom board easily.

The top board (J50) I use for many different sounds, so I want it high and in the light, where adjustments are much, much easier.

I use a Spider Pro, but have switched to a Gibraltar thing, can't remember the exact name, the one with the curved frame, and added a custom curved bar mike holder to the rear to match the curves of the other pcs. Looks really sweet, the curve looks much better than the factory erector-set one. You can also modify easily the bottom crossbar for easy foot pedal access...the factory really hasn't done their keys stand justice by not researching/removing these 2 objections. wtf?

Both boards are infinitely adjustable almost; with minimal work, you can get the Gibraltar upper level right down on the lower board if you want. The factory info makes it seem almost impossible, but I believe they're just "playing" it safe.

I'm a little on the tall side, and am also considering on making a custom Grade School Spider Pro, which is of course a grown up Baby Spider, by just cutting down the center spine of my full size one; the center cap will screw back into the spine casting wherever you want it anyway, so I can remove some of the excess height this way.

With my Baby Spider Pro, I've managed to get the 2nd tier Rev2 close enough to the 1st tier Kronos so that the 2 keybeds are one octave apart. Meaning I can play a C4 on the Kronos and a C4 on the Rev2 at the same time with my left hand. Just to give a reference on how close you can get the tiers.

IZScw3K.jpg

I have K&M 18880 Table with 2nd tier, and the Invisible Stand and the Standtastic Two tier. These are My thoughts

1. K & M 18880 W/tier is light weight, takes minimum space and is quick setup. However in transit the knobs tend to loosen up. I carry in my car so not a problem, but if I put it on the band truck the knobs would be lost I am sure.

2. Invisible Stand, I used it for my second rig until I got the K&M. I like it but never had a case and with 5 loose parts in a bag that doesn't fit was a PIA. Plus as Eric's pic shows the upper keyboard is a bit of a stretch to get to. It is the lowest of the three but I didn't like the reach. I sit while I play, so standing might work better.

3. Standtastic, I have used this the longest, in fact on my second one now. They do take up more space but they are tuff and quick setup and work well with storage bag for leaving on the band truck. Got 1000's of shows out of the first one and rivets were loosening so I replaced it.

All the above are sturdy and they all have + - so I say good luck, I hope this helps!

Jimmy

Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others. Groucho

NEW BAND CHECK THEM OUT

www.steveowensandsummertime.com

www.jimmyweaver.com

My old onstage Z could get really close--you could adjust both height and angle.

My current Spider Pro can get as close as I like as well, and lets me adjust the length of both arms, though not the angle.