Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Putting the Squeeze On: Fave Compressor?

What guitars- more importantly and specifically, what kind of pickups- are you likely to use the most through said compressor pedalry?

The reason I ask, is that I've found that the typical Ross/Orange Squeezer/Dyna Comp type constrictors can be great with single-coils, but, in my humble oppinion, not so good with humbuckers.

I've found that optical-circuit compressor-pedals can work VERY nicely with humbuckers.

Ah, good point, Caevan, thanks for bringing this up.

I'm dedicated to HB's. I have exactly 1 SC pickup, in the middle position on my Godin Freeway SA (H-S-H), all my other Guitars have passive HB's.

Long day of catering work ahead - convention, nearly 500 guests, I'm leaving to help set up at 12:30, will probably get home 10 - 11 hours later, but tomorrow it's supposed to rain, so I won't be out landscaping, good time to go look at gear.

I''d like to check out a Tone Press, but I'm leaning towards that Warden.

"Monsters are real, and Ghosts are real too. They live inside us, and sometimes, they win." Stephen King

http://www.novparolo.com

https://thewinstonpsmithproject.bandcamp.com

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The reason I ask, is that I've found that the typical Ross/Orange Squeezer/Dyna Comp type constrictors can be great with single-coils, but, in my humble opinion, not so good with humbuckers.

Interesting observation. In the past, when I used my DynaComp & liked it, I was playing a Strat. When I got it out more recently & hated it, it was on a mini-humbucker equipped semi-hollow Ibanez.

Scott Fraser

Just to take note, all of the previous exchange is exactly why I come here to ask questions; the collective lifetimes' worth of hands-on experience and knowledge right here in this Forum. Thanks, everyone.

@Scott - I take it you like the sound of the Barber with the Ibanez, or other HB-equipped Guitars? There's a used Barber Tone Press on GC's website for $80, would be $85+/- with tax. I'm tempted to just get it, at the price.

"Monsters are real, and Ghosts are real too. They live inside us, and sometimes, they win." Stephen King

Just to take note, all of the previous exchange is exactly why I come here to ask questions; the collective lifetimes' worth of hands-on experience and knowledge right here in this Forum. Thanks, everyone.

That's why this forum exists.

@Scott - I take it you like the sound of the Barber with the Ibanez, or other HB-equipped Guitars? There's a used Barber Tone Press on GC's website for $80, would be $85+/- with tax. I'm tempted to just get it, at the price.

Yes, although it's the transparency I like the best, not any color, character or vibe. I never turn it off, it's just there thickening things up, increasing sustain, & making me sound better. Mostly it's getting used on a solid body Taylor or PRS, & various hollow archtop Gretsches & Epiphones, all humbucker equipped.

Scott Fraser

Yes, although it's the transparency I like the best, not any color, character or vibe. I never turn it off, it's just there thickening things up, increasing sustain, & making me sound better. Mostly it's getting used on a solid body Taylor or PRS, & various hollow archtop Gretsches & Epiphones, all humbucker equipped.

Not looking for tone coloration, just what you described, essentially a very subtle "More" pedal. At $85 Used, vs $130-200 New for everything else I'm looking at, it's hard to pass up, with that recommendation.

Not looking for tone coloration, just what you described, essentially a very subtle "More" pedal. At $85 Used, vs $130-200 New for everything else I'm looking at, it's hard to pass up, with that recommendation.

Get that Tone Press!

Sounds like exactly the correct course of action, Silent P!

Ask yourself- What Would Ren and Stimpy Do?

~ Caevan James-Michael Miller-O'Shite ~

_ ___ _ Leprechaun, Esquire _ ___ _

Get that Tone Press!

Sounds like exactly the correct course of action, Silent P!

Haven't abandoned the Tone Press, but I couldn't resist a Price Drop on an Echolution Phi. Getting ready for a killer day tomorrow - no rest for the wicked - but I'll check back on it later today.

On the other hand, the VFE White Horse Compressor, an optical-circuit based squeeze, is VERY, VERY EXCELLENT with my Les Paul and its particularly hot humbuckers. Its Blend control is the icing on the cake! HIGHLY recommended for humbuckery constriction.

I concur. It's the first compressor I've ever been able to work with.

Always remember that you are unique. Just like everyone else.

On the other hand, the VFE White Horse Compressor, an optical-circuit based squeeze, is VERY, VERY EXCELLENT with my Les Paul and its particularly hot humbuckers. Its Blend control is the icing on the cake! HIGHLY recommended for humbuckery constriction.

I concur. It's the first compressor I've ever been able to work with.

I could almost leave it on all the time with my Les Paul, especially for clean stuff...

• 2 weeks later...

I should add that the White Horse is also the most transparent compressor I've ever worked with. The others all add more bass to the tone. The Horse does too, but you can EQ it out with the Bass knob.

I found the inclusion of a distortion circuit in the pedal a bit surprising. I don't much like the tone of it much when it's pushed hard, but at lower to moderate settings, it's not bad. However, I don't use it. It's on a blend circuit with the compression circuit, and I run it all the way over to the compressor side. I have distortion pedals I like the sound of much better. But that is the only thing in the pedal I don't like that I have found.

Always remember that you are unique. Just like everyone else.

I should add that the White Horse is also the most transparent compressor I've ever worked with. The others all add more bass to the tone. The Horse does too, but you can EQ it out with the Bass knob.

I found the inclusion of a distortion circuit in the pedal a bit surprising. I don't much like the tone of it much when it's pushed hard, but at lower to moderate settings, it's not bad. However, I don't use it. It's on a blend circuit with the compression circuit, and I run it all the way over to the compressor side. I have distortion pedals I like the sound of much better. But that is the only thing in the pedal I don't like that I have found.

Yeah, the gritty overdrive in the White Horse is not for me, either, but it's cool to have the option.

I use the Blend to keep some of the natural attack clear and present, on top of a LOT of full, fat squeeze and sustain. :cool: It makes my Les Paul sound more like a big hollowbody Jazzbox like an L-5 or ES-275, while still retaining all of its own essence and that of its roundwound strings. :love: