Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Official MLB 2019 Thread

• Replies 174
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Harper to the Phillies. :facepalm:

My co worker Philly fans aren't so happy with the contract. 13 years with no opt out clause. Wonder how good Harper is going to be at 39. :idk

$300M for 10 years vs. $330M for 13 years? He was better off in D.C.

Plus, now he has to deal with the worst fans in MLB - fans that booed Mike Schmidt. MIKE SCHMIDT!!!

Facepalm indeed.

The fact there's a Highway To Hell and only a Stairway To Heaven says a lot about anticipated traffic numbers

People only say "It's a free country" when they're doing something shitty-Demetri Martin

And what a bad move by the Phillies. I predict a lot of time on the disabled list for Bryce Harper, with diminished output when hes healthy.

The fact there's a Highway To Hell and only a Stairway To Heaven says a lot about anticipated traffic numbers

People only say "It's a free country" when they're doing something shitty-Demetri Martin

A long term contract like Harper's is based on the assumption that salary escalation will continue, meaning that in 13 years the best players in the game will be making, what, $40-45M? It's mind-boggling, but it makes sense in a relative way. Harper won't be worth what he is today when he's 39, but he also won't be paid as the best player in baseball.

I say this without knowing how the contract is structured. Payment probably is not the same every year.

I've loved the sport of baseball all my life. It's the only sport I played, it's the only professional sport I've attended. But along the way I've also developed what I would call a social conscience. I don't go to games anymore or pay for cable channels. I can't actively support an arrangement in which atheletes make hundreds of times more money than teachers and scientists.

But I can still post about it on a keyboard forum!

Gigging: Crumar Mojo 61, Hammond SKPro

Home: Vintage Vibe 64

Basically these days, I root for the small market teams.....even over my Cardinals.

We're small market down here, root for us.

I simply don't care enough anymore to spend a night down there when I could be practicing, or doing anything else that's productive.

Fortunately I am in the somewhat unique position of being able to do both at the same time.

Kawai C-60 Grand Piano : Hammond A-100 : Hammond SK2 : Yamaha CP4 : Yamaha Montage 7 : Moog Sub 37

My latest album: Funky organ, huge horn section

https://bobbycressey.bandcamp.com/album/cali-native

I simply don't care enough anymore to spend a night down there when I could be practicing, or doing anything else that's productive.

Fortunately I am in the somewhat unique position of being able to do both at the same time.

Ha! Bobadohshe for the win.

There are mercenaries in hockey, but seemingly not quite on the same level as the Ball sports.

Not sure how many of you know who John Tavares is, but Long Island fans let him have it last night in his first game back since bolting to Toronto this summer. Burning jerseys, throwing snakes, dressing up as babies, chanting "We don't need you!", etc. And yes, the Islanders won the game 6-1 and are doing better this year without him than when he was on the roster.

I agree. I think a large part of that started years ago when Albert bolted and went to the Angels. That was devastating. They would have erected a statue within a month of retirement, outside Busch, if he had stayed. Even if he had averaged .250 for the remainder of his career, that's how much he was loved there in STL. Now he's just another mercenary.

I remember the analysis done after he signed his Angels contract. It was determined that with the increase in California taxes over Missouri, and the general higher cost of living Albert was much better off financially in St. Louis.

We still get cable because that's all my wife watches and I watch the cable news. But I wish there was a way to drop all the sports channels because I would do it in a NY minute

I dropped cable in favor of Sling Blue. I think its $25 per month and has no ESPN, which adds around $8 per month to the cable/satellite bill. I dont miss ESPN one bit. Its always about football, no matter the season. I get a few sports channels, FS1 and FS2, plus the Marlins and Rays games, but not my Braves. Its tailored for regional sports so you might get Angel and Padre games, or Oakland or Giants. I would guess that the Dodgers wouldnt participate.

Another thing I like about Sling is no FoxNews. They have CNN, BBC, France24, and others. I buy the $5 extra package to get MSNBC and some others.

Basically these days, I root for the small market teams.....even over my Cardinals.

We're small market down here, root for us.

Ah, but I highly doubt that your "practicing on the gig" consists of any Debussy Etudes or looping tricky sections of Moment's Notice or Dolphin Dance. ;):)

I have played Dolphin Dance at Petco. In fact I did it my very first season. Though I didn't loop and shed any part of it at the time. As far as Debussy goes --- not yet. Though I was actually practicing Dr Gradus Ad Parnassum this AM.

Kawai C-60 Grand Piano : Hammond A-100 : Hammond SK2 : Yamaha CP4 : Yamaha Montage 7 : Moog Sub 37

He (Harper) will put fans in the seats, and so from that perspective it might be an understandable business decision to give him that money.

This is undisputable. Any of the 32 teams signing him will have an attendance boost.

Wish I had put money on this, as I knew I was on to something.

Phillies sold 100,000 tickets in less than 24 hours after signing Bryce Harper

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/phillies-sold-100000-tickets-in-less-than-24-hours-after-signing-bryce-harper-195043717.html

:nopity:

Ah, Children's Corner. The first piece I worked on with Terry Trotter in'79. Dr. Gradus is a great study for five fingers and connecting right and left hand phrases.

All of the six pieces within that Suite are mini - Masterpieces.

Agreed! The Snow Is Dancing -- to me is one of the easiest ways to explain impressionistic music. It sounds exactly like the title.

• 3 weeks later...
As a Mets fan, I am looking forward to watching the Philly fan base inevitably turn on Harper sometime in the next 4 years. He might have an MVP year before then, but that contract is going to turn into a huge albatross down the road and make Harper into a favorite punching bag.

Below the headlines shocker, Gio Gonzalez signs with the Yanks for $3M. $3M! (plus incentives) You can barely get a backup infielder for that. Granted Gio might be beginning the downside of his career, but he's a quality starting pitcher. Who's ever heard of a "I wanna play for the Yankees" discount!

What I don't get about the Trout deal is why he wants to play his whole career for the Angels, a mediocre team that shows few signs of turning itself around much less winning a pennant, a team that plays in strictly-drive-through (except for Disneyland) Anaheim, a team with virtually no historical legacy, a team across the country from his NJ home. He could have set the professional contract record with any number of big market teams. Now, he's a future HOF'er who might never playin a world series. Perhaps he's driven in part by the old fashioned desire to wear one uniform for an entire career. If so, that's admirable. But everyone wants to see Mike Trout playing postseason baseball.

Gio Gonzalez signs with the Yanks for $3M. $3M! (plus incentives)

Gio has a career record of 127-97, not a whole heck of a lot better than 50-50. I watched him pitch for the Nationals the last 6 seasons. You never knew which Gio would show up on the mound. It's very easy for the opposing team to get in his head, and if they do, the game is lost.

:nopity:

Gio Gonzalez signs with the Yanks for $3M. $3M! (plus incentives)

Gio has a career record of 127-97, not a whole heck of a lot better than 50-50. I watched him pitch for the Nationals the last 6 seasons. You never knew which Gio would show up on the mound. It's very easy for the opposing team to get in his head, and if they do, the game is lost.

A 56% winning percentage is usually considered pretty good. Consider that Jeff Samardzija is 69-92. The year after he lead the league in home runs allowed, the Giants signed him for $18M/yr. That's why $3M for Gio is suprising. Maybe it's not a fair comparison, as throwing money at over-the-hill veteran players is what the Giants do best.

• 3 weeks later...

[url:https://www.cbc.ca/sports/baseball/mlb/0-for-49-orioles-davis-sets-dubious-mlb-record-for-futility-1.5090013]If this wasnt real, it would be in The Onion![/url]

Here for the gear.

[url:https://www.cbc.ca/sports/baseball/mlb/0-for-49-orioles-davis-sets-dubious-mlb-record-for-futility-1.5090013]If this wasnt real, it would be in The Onion![/url]

This WAS in The Onion!

Chris Davis is making an average of $23M to be not just the worst player in baseball, but statistically speaking, the worst player in the history of the game. Maybe that's not a fair statement, because if he was a rookie making the $500K minimum and went 0 for 30, they'd send him down and he'd never set the record for futility. So maybe he's not the worst player, but he deserves the crown for worst well-paid player. The Red Sox are paying David Price $32M/yr, and just gave Chris Sale a long extension at $29M/yr, neither of them are right now pitching at even a league-average. Something about this is just makes me want to turn away. I don't blame the players -- they should take what they can get, every penny. It's the economics of the game.

The other Khris Davis already has 5 home runs for Oakland. After his past 3 seasons of 48, 43, and 42 dingers. What was Milwaukee thinking, trading this guy?