Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Casio Privia PX-S1000 ($600) and S3000 ($800)

S3000 is the kind. You can record your piano demos direct to a USB stick in uncompressed .wav file format. Looking forward to a Chorus free Rhodes and a Jazz Organ (88800000) that I can edit. Those 2 features make it worth the extra $120 to me.

Find 660 of my jazz piano arrangements of standards for educational purposes and tutorials at www.Patreon.com/HarryLikas Harry was the Technical Editor of Mark Levine's "The Jazz Theory Book" and helped develop "The Jazz Piano Book."

Was just reading over on another forum, there is no way to connect either of these to a computer to run VSTs? I know there was no midi but I thought the USB would be capable of that?

Poppycock. All the Privias are class compliant USB to host.

Class-compliant USB means you can connect to any Mac/PC/iOS/Android device with no drivers or installation needed.

A Casio fan here. It's time that Casio started featuring audio over USB perhaps with the replacement models for the PX5s and the PX560.

My understanding is the PX-S1000 is hitting dealers this week so they should be showing up now or soon. The PX-S3000 is expected mid or later in April.

Thanks Joe- it can be quite frustrating as we have a guitar center and sam ash in the same shopping center- and they often do not get new items in on the floor. I still haven't been able to try out a grandstage after all this time.

If GC has it in the box in the back they are obligated to open it as a floor display if you ask them to.

Find 660 of my jazz piano arrangements of standards for educational purposes and tutorials at www.Patreon.com/HarryLikas Harry was the Technical Editor of Mark Levine's "The Jazz Theory Book" and helped develop "The Jazz Piano Book."

If GC has it in the box in the back they are obligated to open it as a floor display if you ask them to.
'

Obligated? By whom? Are you saying that their dealer agreement with Casio requires it? I haven't heard of anything like that. Or maybe you're saying Guitar Center corporate requires that their locations do that?

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

Is one of the new Casio models with organs going to be editable?

They were so close on even the WK 3000 series that was released in 2006. The percussion was the biggest problem. It was way too loud, and not really authentic. It even has a decent slow leslie sim if you edit Stereo Phaser in the DSP.

My WK 3000 is very much a go to organ for me for practice, because it runs on batteries too. Killer lower manual sound with slow chorale.

'

Obligated? By whom? Are you saying that their dealer agreement with Casio requires it? I haven't heard of anything like that. Or maybe you're saying Guitar Center corporate requires that their locations do that?

I don't know if there's an "obligation" either, but I would think if they want to make a sale they'd be willing to set it up if a customer asked. If they balk because they don't have a demo unit, tell them that is the demo.

(Some manufacturers have specific demo units the stores are to use, while others have them simply pull one from inventory for demo purposes. Casio is the latter. What happens is that store employees don't keep track of which ones are which and then think they can't pull a Casio for demo.)

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

Totally, and at literally 1/2 the price of the Yamaha P515 (which was my plan before NAMM), this budget-minded consumer can hardly afford to not buy the S3000.

I do own the PX5S for gigs, and while I love it for many things, I don't love the piano sound (mainly the sound doesn't seem to last long enough . .. it dampens and ends too shortly for me). I know that this has a different piano sound in it, but I do want to try before I buy.

EDIT: I'm assuming that Casio CDP and Privia's actions are mechanically the same, because I've only played the CDP model.

They are different, as Mike said above

As mentioned previously the CDP-S series action is not identical to the new Privia.

What seems ambiguous to me (as I posted above) is whether there are physical differences in addition to the differences in digital processing. Or to put it differently, would they seem like different actions even when played with the power off, or only when actually playing sound? In a sense, you could say it's academic, since playing it with sound is kind of the point. But the distinction does speak to the possible validity of some of gg22's observations, and to my own question about to what extent the actions differ when triggering external VSTs as opposed to the board's internal piano sounds (which depends on physical vs. processing differences, and in the case of the latter, if they are relevant when triggerng external sounds as well).

I do own the PX5S for gigs, and while I love it for many things, I don't love the piano sound (mainly the sound doesn't seem to last long enough . .. it dampens and ends too shortly for me).

Have you tried Mike's alternate piano downloadable at http://www.casiomusicforums.com/index.php?/files/file/5-pianoaltatk/ ? I found it to be a significant improvement. By softening the attack, it reduces the sense of initial fast decay, so it might address what you're describing.

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

Went to demo the Roland FP 30 again.

This time, I compared the piano sample to the RD 2000.

The FP 30 sounded pretty good . But it offers nothing beyond the acoustic sample. Anything else basically sucked on it.

I liked the FP 30 action better this time out.

Why am I posting this on the Casio thread? Because the Casio needs to sound better than this Roland, or I am buying the Roland instead.

I have to say... though I have wanted to like Casio in the past, I have never paid money for their acoustic pianos.It has always been Roland or Yamaha.

This has got to be the one that makes me switch, or I am going to be too old before the next series is out.

So there.

I hope they take their time so that they can put a good Fender Rhodes suitcase Piano sample in there without built-in chorus. One that is highly detailed sounding, something like a compressed and looped Scarbe Rhodes EP. The Fender Rhodes patches in my Casio CT -X 700 (2018) are very disappointing. I am afraid they are going to show up in the new S 3000.The Fender Rhodes deserves respect, not just some dull approximation of a real Rhodes; and a bunch of weird FM sounding EPs show up around it in the library (CTX Series). I like that my PX 360 has about four Fender Rhodes patches in it , each just slightly different

Can they still do that after it's released? That would be awesome if you can later download and add sounds like Dexibel and Nord do.

To be honest, i mainly want to get it to have a good 88 weighted keys to control both my Kronos 61 and my vsts. I'm currently using the CDP 200R for this purpose and i sometimes take it on quick low profile gigs. I love the portability.

You want to carry two keyboards and a computer to gigs? How much are they paying you for that effort? I personally need super big bucks to have to carry more than one keyboard to some gig.

Hmm... the S3000 manual lists the exact same EP set as in my CT-X700.. . thats not encouraging . Although there are two new ones listed I have not heard called the Amp E Piano 1 and Amp E Piano 2, so maybe theres some hope... I am listening to the EP library in my CTX and they are not so good. Dynamic Rhodes is the closest the CTX gets to a Rhodes and its bark is embarrassing and very annoying the way the samples abruptly cross switches when you dig in a little and it produces an awful bark unlike any Rhodes anybody has ever heard..,I thought that obvious sort of cross switching had been done away with by sound designers years ago. A fI x on the CTX Dynamic EP is to edit the touch to Hard, then the crazy velocity bark isnt triggered. It becomes a useful Dyno Rhodes. Most of the CTX EPs remind me of some cheesy Roland Sound Canvas patches from 20 years ago. Casio sort of misses the mark when it comes to a Fender Rhodes sound. The Rhodes in my PX-360 sounds and behaves much better than the CTX set. So hopefully the new so called Amp E Piano saves the day. Which EP Tone was the Earth Wind and Fire guy playing at Namm? Mike?

Their PX-5s download library is extensive with Casio built patches and User built ones.... pa-lenty of sounds up there for download for the PX5s... I would think they would do that for the 1000 and the 3000... isn't their an update procedure in the new Casio's ?

CP-50, YC 73,  FP-80, PX5-S, NE-5d61, Kurzweil SP6, XK-3, CX-3, Hammond XK-3, Yamaha YUX Upright, '66 B3/Leslie 145/122

There isnt a library update feature. Its the CTX Library with a few modifications resulting in some new Tone variations. The upside is that there is a decent jazz organ #454 Organ2 G in the CTX that should be in the S series. And the pianos are bright and clear. The Organ Bass is ok too. I will use that organ in the S3000. Thisll be the first time Ive had a good organ in a digital piano.

The new key response software should make the CTX /S3000 patches behave better. One fix on the CTX Dynamic EP is to edit the touch to Hard, then the crazy velocity bark isnt triggered. It becomes a useful Dyno Rhodes.

There is no Digital Processor DP option for Dynamic EP , nor for the Mellow EP, the only two Tones in the CTX Library that even come close to a Fender Rhodes sound. No DP for these is very disappointing . Its the DP that offers deeper editing. Casio does not respect the classic Fender Rhodes sound, IMO. Are these disappointing (lame) EP Tones choices made in Japan or in USA? I thought it was suspicious that after carefully watching the many official Casio demos of the S series that they never touted the Rhodes EP sound, only the Wurly. Now I see why. They simply dont have a good Rhodes in the CTX Library. I am on the verge of canceling my S3000 preorder.

Wasted the past two hours playing and fine tuning all the CTX EPs and they are all digital monstrosities suited for an 80s Lionel Richie ballad album. Its 2019 people. The Fender Rhodes has earned its place as THE classic EP. Yet it is absent. What is Casio thinking? I really dont get it. Who on earth manages sound design for their EP section?