Music Player Network Home Guitar Player Magazine Keyboard Magazine Bass Player Magazine EQ Magazine
Topic Options
#2980407 - Yesterday at 02:45 AM iOS sound module options / hook up to Yamaha P125
The Piano Man Offline

Hello all,

I am considering a Yamaha P125 as a lighter/more portable practice piano. Occasionally I will want to add my Korg X5dr, however I note the P125 does not have midi sockets. Rather than add in a Kenton midi unit to set this up, it got me thinking that I should probably get with the times and just use my iPad.

So...

1. Which iOS sound module would you recommend for having decent acoustic and electric bass sounds AND, the ability to have these zoned (in other words, adjustable ‘key range’ or note windows, so that I can layer my bass sound over the piano up to around E3?

2. How do I hook this up so the sounds can be controlled by the Yamaha P125? Do I run a usb cable from the P125 into the iPad via a lightning camera connector kit? And then run a lead from the iPad headphone out to my mixer or amplifier? ( I have a 2017 iPad Pro)

A few years back I hooked an iPhone up to a Technics P30. I used Sampletank for bass sounds but also needed midibridge to zone the bass sound as I wanted. I then used a cable that ran from the iphone’s 30 pin to the P30’s midi socket. Things have changed quite a bit since those days, so advice greatly appreciated...

KC Island
#2980425 - Yesterday at 06:22 AM Re: iOS sound module options / hook up to Yamaha P125 [Re: The Piano Man]
drawback Online   happy
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Victoria BC, Canada
Originally Posted By: The Piano Man
1. Which iOS sound module would you recommend for having decent acoustic and electric bass sounds AND, the ability to have these zoned (in other words, adjustable ‘key range’ or note windows, so that I can layer my bass sound over the piano up to around E3?

2. How do I hook this up so the sounds can be controlled by the Yamaha P125? Do I run a usb cable from the P125 into the iPad via a lightning camera connector kit? And then run a lead from the iPad headphone out to my mixer or amplifier? ( I have a 2017 iPad Pro)

I’m reading you’d like to layer a bass behind a piano sound, rather than just setting up a split on the Yamaha, so..

1. iFretless Bass (you can play it from a keyboard)
2. Yes.

Edited by drawback (Yesterday at 06:56 AM)

#2980426 - Yesterday at 06:57 AM Re: iOS sound module options / hook up to Yamaha P125 [Re: drawback]
MoodyBluesKeys Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: eastern North Carolina
Another for iFretless Bass
Really good bass sounds.
Jim

#2980450 - Yesterday at 10:41 AM Re: iOS sound module options / hook up to Yamaha P125 [Re: MoodyBluesKeys]
Sam CA Offline

Loc: Los Angeles
If you already own Korg Sound Module, you should totally consider the Ivory expansion(s). I don't think you can do any type of zoning/splits directly with Sound Module, unless you use Gadget?

#2980473 - Yesterday at 01:09 PM Re: iOS sound module options / hook up to Yamaha P125 [Re: Sam CA]
The Piano Man Offline

Thanks guys. Have downloaded iFretless!

What a great forum this place is.

Cheers

Moderator:  Dave Bryce, Stephen Fortner