Music Player Network Home Guitar Player Magazine Keyboard Magazine Bass Player Magazine EQ Magazine
Topic Options
#2980252 - 03/15/19 01:38 PM Leslie 125
GRollins Offline
Platinum Member

What's the current going rate for a Leslie 125? I've looked at both Reverb and eBay, to no avail. They seem to be pretty rare.

No, I'm not 100% convinced that this is something I want to pursue, given that it's limited frequency-wise. Yes, I know it's just a single 12" versus a separate woofer & tweeter in the 122, et. al. but it's the only unaccompanied Leslie I can remember seeing around these parts, like, ever...

Grey

KC Island
#2980255 - 03/15/19 01:54 PM Re: Leslie 125 [Re: GRollins]
dfcas Offline

I -think- these were made with and without an amp, and that would affect the price. No amp is under $100 and with amp between $100-$200 is my guess in good working condition.

#2980260 - 03/15/19 02:25 PM Re: Leslie 125 [Re: dfcas]
Legatoboy Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Huntington Sta., New York (LI)
I had one...it was my 1st Leslie in 1967! I drove it with a Fender Bassman Blackface head... the ones all the guitarists go gaga for . . .

#2980265 - 03/15/19 02:41 PM Re: Leslie 125 [Re: Legatoboy]
GRollins Offline
Platinum Member

The guy gave me the serial number--20168--but I have no idea how to interpret Leslie serial numbers to determine age.

Grey

#2980267 - 03/15/19 02:49 PM Re: Leslie 125 [Re: GRollins]
Delaware Dave Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Take a guess ....
You can cut the wood and make the louviers, add a shelf and a horn and cross over, I think it has a 20 watt amp. So for a medium investment you can get a pretty decent sounding leslie. Without putting a horn/crossover, personally, I wouldn't bother with it. My two cents.

#2980271 - 03/15/19 03:33 PM Re: Leslie 125 [Re: Delaware Dave]
GRollins Offline
Platinum Member

I saw something online about modifying one to take horns and all, but they made it sound like it was a booger. Mind you, I've got a full woodworking shop so I've got that aspect covered, but I've also got a horrendous to-do list and am reluctant to take on yet another project. With that in mind, it kinda becomes a take-it-as-it-is speaker.

Oh...and the Leslie comes with a Kimball organ of some sort, but the guy indicated that it's not fully functional. I'm not aware of any reason to get excited about some unknown broken-wing Kimball. I've got a Hammond A-100 and a few other odds and ends, so it's not as though it would fulfill a need on my end. Sounds like the guy just wants his floor space back. He's selling the Leslie and giving the organ away as part of the package. Sounds like it's big and heavy. Two manuals. He has no idea what model it is.

Anyone want a Kimball?

Grey

#2980293 - 03/15/19 07:02 PM Re: Leslie 125 [Re: GRollins]
Mighty Motif Max Offline
Gold Member

Loc: Northeastern MN, U.S.
Originally Posted By: GRollins

Oh...and the Leslie comes with a Kimball organ of some sort, but the guy indicated that it's not fully functional. I'm not aware of any reason to get excited about some unknown broken-wing Kimball. I've got a Hammond A-100 and a few other odds and ends, so it's not as though it would fulfill a need on my end. Sounds like the guy just wants his floor space back. He's selling the Leslie and giving the organ away as part of the package. Sounds like it's big and heavy. Two manuals. He has no idea what model it is.

Anyone want a Kimball?

Grey

I might. PM me with info please.

Korg Krome 61

Roland JV-1000

Titano Virtuoso Converter, Resident Audio T4, Casio CT-370, Kimball Valencia/Broadway

#2980304 - 03/15/19 10:17 PM Re: Leslie 125 [Re: GRollins]
zxcvbnm098 Offline
Platinum Member

Loc: Southern Calif.
The guy gave me the serial number--20168--but I have no idea how to interpret Leslie serial numbers to determine age.

Grey

Likely from 1968 or so...

http://www.tonewheelgeneral.com/agelist/agelist.php

#2980310 - 03/16/19 03:58 AM Re: Leslie 125 [Re: zxcvbnm098]
GRollins Offline
Platinum Member

Originally Posted By: zxcvbnm098
Likely from 1968 or so...

Agreed.

I think I'll probably pass on this. Nobody's jumped up and said that the 125 is an amazing speaker (not that I was expecting them to do so) and I'll probably end up breaking my back moving the stuff, only to end up with a broken Kimball that I don't really want and a Leslie that's not quite what I want, either.

Grey

#2980315 - 03/16/19 04:35 AM Re: Leslie 125 [Re: GRollins]
Legatoboy Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Huntington Sta., New York (LI)
Grollins you win the cupie doll and the girl for that decision... as soon as you got it, you would want a Treble Driver, there kind of is no substitute for that.

#2980317 - 03/16/19 04:40 AM Re: Leslie 125 [Re: Legatoboy]
GRollins Offline
Platinum Member

Originally Posted By: Legatoboy
Grollins you win the...girl.

Sounds like the consolation prize is better than the main prize.

Grey

#2980323 - 03/16/19 05:31 AM Re: Leslie 125 [Re: GRollins]
WesG Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Inverary, ON, Canada
The Leslie/organ will probably come with a Leslie cable, two halfmoon switches and a 26-1 box.

If you are looking to add a 147 to a B3, for example, that's a couple of hundred bucks with of parts right there.

If you're a budding Hammond dude and can get it for $200, go ahead, buy it and dispose of the Kimball. Put the kit in your M3 or whatever and use the Leslie until something better comes along. Then sell it.
Roland: VR-09

#2980364 - 03/16/19 12:39 PM Re: Leslie 125 [Re: WesG]
dfcas Offline

A working Kimball organ has no market value, so a non working kimball has negative market value. It would probably be a fair trade to give it all away to get the kimball hauled off. Theres a guy on Pittsburgh craigslist that posts he will haul off organs and pianos for a fee. may someday be a real business.

#2980386 - 03/16/19 03:15 PM Re: Leslie 125 [Re: dfcas]
Mighty Motif Max Offline
Gold Member

Originally Posted By: dfcas
A working Kimball organ has no market value, so a non working kimball has negative market value. It would probably be a fair trade to give it all away to get the kimball hauled off. Theres a guy on Pittsburgh craigslist that posts he will haul off organs and pianos for a fee. may someday be a real business.

Really depends what the problem is. Some people might like it to get into organ repair for example. Some people, myself included, like the old things. Just depends on what the issue is.

Korg Krome 61

Roland JV-1000

Titano Virtuoso Converter, Resident Audio T4, Casio CT-370, Kimball Valencia/Broadway

#2980435 - Yesterday at 08:06 AM Re: Leslie 125 [Re: Mighty Motif Max]
GRollins Offline
Platinum Member

I could see someone being sentimental about them, for instance, but a Kimball doesn't fit into my mental picture of where I want to go with keyboards. I don't really know how big it is or how much it weighs, given that the owner doesn't know what model it is--and there are no pictures in the ad to work with--but aside from the effort required to move the booger, I'd have to either drop the thing at the dump or try to fix it...and I really don't need to add to my to-do list. Assuming that it was fixable at all (what if it needs an OEM part that's unobtanium?), it would still only be worth, what, $25-100 in my market at best. You can pick up working ones that don't need TLC for that, unless it's some really rare model. I just can't see it working out well for me.

Grey

#2980494 - Yesterday at 04:19 PM Re: Leslie 125 [Re: GRollins]
MoodyBluesKeys Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: eastern North Carolina
Grey,
If you do decide to get the Kimball, I still have a substantial amount of Kimball parts (purchased the whole dealer kit from a former dealer) that I used in my service business.
Pretty sure some of them (especially the custom LSICs) are difficult to find.
These are not cabinet parts, keys, that sort of thing, but are transistors, diodes, ICs, LSICs, the parts that would typically be going bad on the circuit boards.
A lot of Kimball organs were built using numerous small circuit boards that plugged in to Molex type sockets. Many times, simple removal, spraying sockets with contact cleaner, reinserting and wiggling about would fix them.
This is not an effort to commercially sell (though I still have a business), but an effort to be helpful. I have pricing information from the 1980's.
Jim

#2980505 - Yesterday at 05:04 PM Re: Leslie 125 [Re: GRollins]
Mighty Motif Max Offline
Gold Member

I could see someone being sentimental about them, for instance, but a Kimball doesn't fit into my mental picture of where I want to go with keyboards. I don't really know how big it is or how much it weighs, given that the owner doesn't know what model it is--and there are no pictures in the ad to work with--but aside from the effort required to move the booger, I'd have to either drop the thing at the dump or try to fix it...and I really don't need to add to my to-do list. Assuming that it was fixable at all (what if it needs an OEM part that's unobtanium?), it would still only be worth, what, $25-100 in my market at best. You can pick up working ones that don't need TLC for that, unless it's some really rare model. I just can't see it working out well for me.

Grey

There are a few really nice models that were made. The lower-end stuff was junk. But here are some models that are pretty nice even still. I can't find pictures of all of them.

K500 "Flamingo"
K600 "Stardust"

K800 "Fascination"

J300 "Imagination"

J900 "Xanadu" - final top of the line model

There are others I think but those are the nicest ones. Most of the ones on Craigslist and the like are the low-end spinets, which were pretty much garbage. Mine is a low/mid-range R80 Broadway, which does have an internal leslie. It's not bad, but I wouldn't go lower than that. Most of the higher-end models did after a point. The Organ Forum has a good deal of information and people who can help with repair questions etc should you decide to go with it.

It wouldn't really be something you'd get to resell, but rather something to play, if you like the sound.

Korg Krome 61

Roland JV-1000

#2980514 - Yesterday at 07:20 PM Re: Leslie 125 [Re: Mighty Motif Max]
GRollins Offline
Platinum Member

He said it has two manuals, which would seem to rule out the Imagination and Xanadu models.

Bear in mind that this area, regardless of population, is musically impoverished and sales of keyboards are relatively rare, regardless of make. You'll see an occasional Yamaha, but that's about it. Other than that, it's cheap little Casios and Yamaha portable/starter stuff. To attempt to buy, fix, then resell a Kimball just wouldn't be worth the trouble. I've been watching Craig's List intently for about ten years now and have only ever seen one Moog (Little Phatty--I bought it), a few Yamaha ES models, one or two MOs, and zero Korgs that I can recall. Hammonds do come up from time to time--probably the only decent keyboard that you can count on seeing (lots from churches, which explains a lot). Oh, and I think I remember two Rolands. All in a so-called metropolitan area with an aggregate population of about a half-million. It's a friggin' wasteland.

Man, if any of you want the thing, feel free to have at it. It would just be a door stop for me. I've either been sick myself or been caring for one or the other of my kids for the last six or eight weeks and am waaaay behind on everything. Adding an ailing Kimball to my to-do list just ain't smart.

Grey

Moderator:  Dave Bryce, Stephen Fortner