Music Player Network Home Guitar Player Magazine Keyboard Magazine Bass Player Magazine EQ Magazine
Topic Options
#2980248 - 03/15/19 12:58 PM Missing my Mackie
vortmaxx Offline

Greeting again, Humans et al.

I had a little SRM 150 that served me well for about the last 10 years until it finally quit on me last year. I'm looking for something for small jams and rehearsals that is compact and light but can keep up with say, an acoustic piano at modest volume or a group of singers.

Looking at just getting another Mackie, the Behringer 205 or the TC Voicelive. I'm interested in whether anyone here uses the TC and has anything overwhelmingly positive or negative to say about it, or if there might be something else out there that's similar. Thanks in advance.

KC Island
#2980308 - 03/16/19 12:23 AM Re: Missing my Mackie [Re: vortmaxx]
Randelph Offline
Gold Member

Loc: San Francisco, CA
I've heard good things about the Bose S1 Pro. It's $599, so about twice what alot of those above monitors go for.

It's pretty small, can run off a built-in lithium battery, and generally gets rave reviews from users. It also has a 2 channel mixer with hi/low eq and reverb per channel, plus a BT channel. Considering one myself, would love to have two for a stereo keyboard monitor!
Roland Street Cube EX / QSC K10, K8.2 / SS V.3

#2980350 - 03/16/19 11:27 AM Re: Missing my Mackie [Re: Randelph]
vortmaxx Offline

Interesting. Probably sounds pretty good, but just a little bigger and bulkier than I'm looking for. With a little more effort I could just use the K10 I already have.

Sometimes it's nice to just be able to get in and out in one trip. I have a medium Alice Pack that would hold the Mackie, plus all my pedals, cables, etc and still wasn't too heavy. Keyboard in one hand, a stand in the other, and I was a one-trip-wonder.

I had a rehearsal last night for a band I sit in with occasionally. (Doing a Pogues-Van Morrison tribute tonite). Having to make a separate trip for just the speaker really gets to be kind of a hassle. Crawling thru snow, slush, and ice is a way of life around here this time of year, but it's still a PIA!

#2980394 - 03/16/19 04:47 PM Re: Missing my Mackie [Re: vortmaxx]
WesG Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Inverary, ON, Canada
I use an NX10c on a pole right in front of my face sometimes. I bet a K10 would sound better, but it would be a fair bit taller. It works great and carries easily.
Roland: VR-09

#2980440 - 03/17/19 09:06 AM Re: Missing my Mackie [Re: WesG]
vortmaxx Offline

That's not a bad looking bit of gear, Wes. Spec-wise, it's not too far off from my K10 which usually ends up on the floor. Having to bring a pole is kind of a deal breaker as I'm looking to reduce the amount of gear I need to bring for small practices and such.

I'm not looking for optimum sound as this is mostly for quick and easy ins and outs. If I didn't already have the K10, and I could use a mic stand instead of a full blown speaker pole, I might seriously consider the Yorkville for a regular gig rig.

#2980521 - 03/17/19 10:20 PM Re: Missing my Mackie [Re: vortmaxx]
hardware Offline
Platinum Member

Loc: Nevada
I bought a pair TCs for 2 Vocalists so they could have proper harmonies and make it fun for a 4 piece group to cover extra parts better.
What do you want to know?

They sound really good, and the Looping is really good and can also be automated.

#2980576 - 03/18/19 10:27 AM Re: Missing my Mackie [Re: hardware]
vortmaxx Offline

Well this is embarrassing. In my OP I wrote Voicelive and I really meant the Voicesolo (FX150). I had a gig that day and obviously my mind was not on the task at hand.

I'd seen a few players around here mention it and was mostly wondering about the build quality and how it holds up over time. I'm about to just pull the trigger on one as I have been getting really tired of schlepping the K10 out unless I'm getting paid.

#2980695 - 03/19/19 04:02 AM Re: Missing my Mackie [Re: vortmaxx]
jeffinpghpa Offline
Gold Member

Loc: Charlotte, NC
I looked at several options for this purpose last year and ended up getting a new Mackie SRM150. It does the job reliably.

#2980747 - 03/19/19 09:54 AM Re: Missing my Mackie [Re: jeffinpghpa]
vortmaxx Offline

Thanks. It's nice to hear that someone else finds the little Mackies usable.

The thing that keeps nagging at me about the TC is having just the one encoder knob for everything. I can see that being the weak link, and when that goes the amp is effectively useless.

I wasn't abusive with the Mackie, but I didn't exactly baby it either. That said, it held up quite well for almost 10 solid years without a problem until the PSU finally crapped out.

Moderator:  Dave Bryce, Stephen Fortner