Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Casio Privia PX-S1000 ($600) and S3000 ($800)

...videos...

I'm confused. What do these have to do with the Casio?

The Mike Verta videos were accompanied with this dialog which is not my dialog.The :

"This a short story of discovery - but the last video seems to answer the question of sound engine chipset... hopefully, accurately.

I've been creating music for years and have only dabbled in orchestration. About three months ago I decided to put out a serious orchestral project. I realized that my Axiom 61 wasn't going to cut it, for this project. I wanted a piano feel and sound. I went to Guitar Center to try out the feel for a couple of keyboards, planning to use my VSTi instruments.

I tried every keyboard there, and one in particular really blew me away - The Casio CDP S100 (and the S350). [i admit, being primarily a guitarist and vocalist, I didn't even know Casio was still around, let alone making professional level keyboards. Consider me impressed!] The feel of the keyboard felt just like a real piano. They had more expensive Yamaha's and Rolands, etc., but none felt this good. The sound of the speakers impressed me, too, and I loved their dual direction design. Little did I know that this had only recently been released. After I returned home I obsessed over reviews and videos online and discovered the Privia PX S1000 and S3000.

Originally, I didn't think I wanted the CDP-S350 over the CDP-S100 (nor the Privia PX-S3000 over the PX-S1000). I don't have any need for backing rhythms, nice as they are, nor did I think I could use the multiple instruments because they are usually added as an after-thought, and sound as such. I was pretty sure the CDP-S100 and my VSTi(s) was all I needed.

Then I discovered a great video by PianoManChuck. The AiR sound engine seems to be top-notch in reproducing a real sounding piano. But AiR doesn't do near as well with string and wind instruments as the AIX does great with expressive string and wind instruments.

Then I read, over at YamahaMusicians that... 'Mike Martin at Casio USA, the CDP-S100 does indeed use AHL ii, but the CDP-S350 uses "a variant of AiX."' All so confusing! But now I needed a Privia, for sure. I need AiR!!

When I discovered this next video, it made everything worse... and better!

.. I realized that I required a MOD wheel. Such a wonderful technique to truly put an original quality to every note played on Strings and Winds. So, all of a sudden I realized that the PX-S1000 wasn't going to work. Unless I could get the PX_S1000 and supplement it with a simple, usb 2-wheel expression 'box'? (Like the size of a guitar pedal.) Nope! (Why are there no add-on expression wheels being made anywhere? I am still dumbfounded about this fact.)

So, that led me to realize I needed to get the Privia PX-S3000. Around the same time, I discovered the feature of sympathetic resonance in the Privia PX-3000, and once heard, I realized I wouldn't want to do without it. I was still disappointed that the Strings and Winds would be lacking, but I have Mike Verta's technique to help out there. :) Even if there are VSTi(s) are out there that offer sympathetic resonance, I still needed the MOD wheel/knob. [Are there VSTi(s) that have this?]

While reading on here, it seemed the type of sound engine chipset within the new Privias seemed to be ambiguous. Was it AiR or AiR 2 or What? Then another PianoManChuck video comes to my attention and delivers a great, game-changing, piece of knowledge (video below). And man do I hope he is right!

I really hope this is true. A double chipset with AiR for piano and AIX for Strings and Winds? Sympathetic Resonance? Privia PX-S3000? Yes, please and thank you."

I have a Casio PX 560...nice pianos/strings...not the best on acoustic Instruments. Not a bad piano touch but I'm sure no expert there.

There is not much for info on the PX S3000. There are demos out there but few demonstrate anything but acoustic and electric pianos.

Pianoman Chuck is a good resource. I hope he does a video on these keyboards in the near future.

Well, had a chance to play the CDP100-S100, and have to admit - the laws of physics still apply. With all those talks about Casio defeating them, you can still feel the short key pivot (especially on the black keys) which makes it difficult to play some chords. The piano sound has short decay time, and btw there is some approximation of Rhodes (not Dyno as someone suggested) sounds, as well as Wurlie.

It still feels like an upgrade compared to the previous Privia PX action - quieter, keys don't wobble, and black keys don't stick up too high above the white keys. So I can probably see myself buying the cheapest ($550 CAD) CDP-S100 model as a light and portable keyboard, but wouldn't spend $$ for the higher end models. There are much better options if you have $$ to spend, and for entry level piano I still prefer Yamaha's GHS.

As mentioned previously the CDP-S series action is not identical to the new Privia.

My (perhaps mistaken) impression was that the actions were physically the same, but played differently because of additional digital processing in the Privia. Though if it plays differently, then for all intents and purposes, I guess you could say that, functionally, it's a different action, even if the mechanism were physically the same. But anyway, that is what it sounds like based on the description of the Smart Scaled Hammer Action Keyboard at https://www.casio-intl.com/asia/en/emi/products/pxs1000/

88-Key Digital Scaling realizes a grand piano-like touch

The touch of a grand piano varies with the differences in size and weight of the hammers over each of the 88 keys. The new Privia models deliver the feeling of playing a grand piano through a meticulous key-by-key digital simulation of these subtle differences in touch.

and

Key Off Response allows fast note repetition

The note off timing is digitally controlled based on the movement of the keys during release. When hitting the same tone repeatedly, the next note can be produced before the key returns to its topmost position.

The phrases "digital simulation" and "digitally controlled" sound to me like software enhancements, which make this version "smart" and provide a better playing experience than the "non-smart" Scaled Hammer Action Keyboard Ⅱ of the new CDPs that presumably lack this additional digital processing

But is it confirmed that there are physical differences as well? Admittedly, that's a somewhat academic question, if it feels different regardless. But here's the question this is leading me to: If the difference is entirely (or even mostly) in the software, do these benefits also translate to using the board as a MIDI controller for piano VSTs? Or are these benefits tied to the programming of the internal piano sounds? (Or maybe this is the kind of thing we won't know for sure until they're out in the wild and people try it...)

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

I like the Rhodes at 2:44, the chords blend nicely and the arpeggios and runs with pedal stay clean. Is it the Chorus or the Tremolo that's On? I guess it's the same EP that the EWF player was using at NAMM.

[video:youtube]

Find 660 of my jazz piano arrangements of standards for educational purposes and tutorials at www.Patreon.com/HarryLikas Harry was the Technical Editor of Mark Levine's "The Jazz Theory Book" and helped develop "The Jazz Piano Book."

Would anyone here be able to give me a direct comparison of this new smart action vs the Korg RH3 action? Im caught between the S1000 and the D1

Korg's RH3 is much more consistent from back to front - because of longer key pivot. That's why Korg D1 is 10 lbs heavier than the Casio. I consider RH3 middle tier action, similar to Yamaha's GH. Casio is closer to Yamahas' entry level GHS.

So if feel is more important - Korg D1, if weight is more important - Casio. D1 has a midi jack btw, which is missing on Cassios. (if that's important).

EDIT: I'm assuming that Casio CDP and Privia's actions are mechanically the same, because I've only played the CDP model.

I like the Rhodes at 2:44, the chords blend nicely and the arpeggios and runs with pedal stay clean. Is it the Chorus or the Tremolo that's On? I guess it's the same EP that the EWF player was using at NAMM.

[video:youtube]

That is the stock EP preset on the PX-S1000. No, not exactly the same as what Larry Dunn was using on the PX-S3000 at NAMM.

-Mike Martin

Casio

Mike Martin Photography Instagram Facebook

The Big Picture Photography Forum on Music Player Network

The opinions I post here are my own and do not represent the company I work for.

EDIT: I'm assuming that Casio CDP and Privia's actions are mechanically the same, because I've only played the CDP model.

They are different, as Mike said above

As mentioned previously the CDP-S series action is not identical to the new Privia.

Also, I've been gigging with a PX-5S since they came out and I have no issues digging into the black keys, etc... I find it to be a much better action than the Yamaha GHS.

David

Gig Rig:Casio Privia PX-5S | Yamaha MODX+ 6 | MacBook Pro 14" M1| Mainstage

Same EP samples but without Chorus?

Find 660 of my jazz piano arrangements of standards for educational purposes and tutorials at www.Patreon.com/HarryLikas Harry was the Technical Editor of Mark Levine's "The Jazz Theory Book" and helped develop "The Jazz Piano Book."

Would anyone here be able to give me a direct comparison of this new smart action vs the Korg RH3 action? Im caught between the S1000 and the D1

I've never played a D1 but generally I dislike the RH3 action. I owned two SV-1 s and hated them. The Grandstage is a little better but not by much. Not at all a fan of the Korg action.

On first play, I felt the new Casio as being right there with some of the best Yamahas- CP4 and CP88. I also prefer it to the Nord Piano 4 fwiw.

Dave, I HATED the RH3 on the SV1 and Grandstage. Beyond Awful.

But the new Kronos plays like butter.

I couldnt believe it, but I think they just save thier best action for the Kronos.

"I have constantly tried to deliver only products which withstand the closest scrutiny � products which prove themselves superior in every respect.�

Robert Bosch, 1919

..........Also, I've been gigging with a PX-5S since they came out and I have no issues digging into the black keys, etc... I find it to be a much better action than the Yamaha GHS.

Nice to know it's standing the test of time. I am thinking of re-introducing one into my setup (to go with laptop), so yeah, good to find good feedback on the PX-5

There is no luck - luck is simply the confluence of circumstance and co-incidence...

Time is the final arbiter for all things

On first play, I felt the new Casio as being right there with some of the best Yamahas- CP4 and CP88.

This is great news. Although I am keeping my CP4, I will be purchasing a S3000 as soon as they become available locally. Looking forward to the built in speakers. :thu:

:nopity:

I've never played a D1 but generally I dislike the RH3 action. I owned two SV-1 s and hated them. The Grandstage is a little better but not by much. Not at all a fan of the Korg action.

On first play, I felt the new Casio as being right there with some of the best Yamahas- CP4 and CP88. I also prefer it to the Nord Piano 4 fwiw.

I couldnt believe it, but I think they just save thier best action for the Kronos.

Jim,

Did you buy the Kronos SE or the K2? I had someone tell me they were different keybeds but looked at the specs. and they appear to be the same keybed. Asking don't know 4 sure?

Jim,

Did you buy the Kronos SE or the K2? I had someone tell me they were different keybeds but looked at the specs. and they appear to be the same keybed. Asking don't know 4 sure?

Benny,

I got the K2. The SE is adifferent action entirely (Korg calls it light weighted). I was all set to get an SE, but I walked into a local store on a whim and they had a K2 88 and I sat down behind it for a hour + and didnt get up !

It felt entirely different than ANY of the earlier generations of RH3. So much more responsive and smooth. So I went home and had Sweetwater overnight one to me.

FWIW, instead of an RH3 sticker on the top key, there was a made in japan sticker in red cursive, so it may be an upgraded or tweaked version?

I do know its COMPLETELY different than the SV1 or Grandstage.

As a matter of fact, the store had an SV1 and Grandstage running thru the same monitors as the K2.

Playing them did nothing to change my earlier AWFUL experiences with both boards.

So thats my experience.

But, to reiterate, the SE s an entirly different action than the other models!

"I have constantly tried to deliver only products which withstand the closest scrutiny � products which prove themselves superior in every respect.�

Robert Bosch, 1919

Coming from you, Dave, that is quite an endorsement!

Cant wait to try one!

Robert Bosch, 1919

I believe youre confusing the SE with the LS. The LS has the lightweight action, the SE should be exactly the same as the 2.

Jerry

Jim,

Benny,

I got the K2. The SE is adifferent action entirely (Korg calls it light weighted). I was all set to get an SE, but I walked into a local store on a whim and they had a K2 88 and I sat down behind it for a hour + and didnt get up !

It felt entirely different than ANY of the earlier generations of RH3. So much more responsive and smooth. So I went home and had Sweetwater overnight one to me.

FWIW, instead of an RH3 sticker on the top key, there was a made in japan sticker in red cursive, so it may be an upgraded or tweaked version?

I do know its COMPLETELY different than the SV1 or Grandstage.

As a matter of fact, the store had an SV1 and Grandstage running thru the same monitors as the K2.

Playing them did nothing to change my earlier AWFUL experiences with both boards.

So thats my experience.

But, to reiterate, the SE s an entirly different action than the other models!

I HATED the RH3 on the SV1 and Grandstage. Beyond Awful.

These either goes to show you individually subjective this all is, or that boards vary even if they're ostensibly the same, or both. Bu I really enjoy playing the SV1, and the one Kronos 73 I tried, I didn't like the feel of at all. Could be the presence of the aftertouch strip? I don't know...

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

Do any stores in NYC have the 1000 or 3000 out to try? GC and MF already have the black one available to ship. Would like to try it out before buying- My P125 is working out great and I don't know if I will add another board though anyway
My understanding is the PX-S1000 is hitting dealers this week so they should be showing up now or soon. The PX-S3000 is expected mid or later in April.

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

Demo sounds from the PX-S1000 this time

PX-S1000 sounds

From the top counting down 7-9,11-12+15-16 Sound Good.

Track 6 is Chorus Rhodes, drowning in built in chorus modulation... imagine what a guitarist would say if forced to play with Chorus On all the time, especially for soloing.

Nice sounding Vibes patch (final Track; I hear the mallets). I like a split Vibes/Bass for my own Modern Jazz Quartet duo vibe.

Track 10 is Jazz Organ and I like the sound I hear there.

Maybe the S3000 will let me edit the organ's C3 and Percussion as controllable effects? Will they be good? And edit the Rhodes to Chorus OFF.

Was just reading over on another forum, there is no way to connect either of these to a computer to run VSTs? I know there was no midi but I thought the USB would be capable of that?

Poppycock. All the Privias are class compliant USB to host.

Class-compliant USB means you can connect to any Mac/PC/iOS/Android device with no drivers or installation needed.

Yamaha CP88, Casio PX-560