Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

What's in your ears?

p90jr

Brother Winston I like it kind of quiet 1st thing in the morning...the wife has the TV on around 5am long before I get up between 6 and 7am. But she keeps the volume on the low down till I get my 1st cup of coffee! I can't imagine cranking the music up loud at 3am LOL! :cool:
Take care, Larryz

Brother Winston I like it kind of quiet 1st thing in the morning...the wife has the TV on around 5am long before I get up between 6 and 7am. But she keeps the volume on the low down till I get my 1st cup of coffee! I can't imagine cranking the music up loud at 3am LOL! :cool:

Ah, nice set of studio-quality headphones does it for me . . .

When I wake up, it's not a slow emerging from the gentle folds of sleep, or anything like that: all systems are firing, the meters are red-lining, and it's best to just get moving. I've gotten a lot of recording done, during the Hour of the Wolf.

"Monsters are real, and Ghosts are real too. They live inside us, and sometimes, they win." Stephen King

http://www.novparolo.com

https://thewinstonpsmithproject.bandcamp.com

"(The) Houri of (The) Woof" ?

...kinda sounds like somethin' from WW 2---like the LuftWolf or something.

Here's how we experienced wakers wake.

Phone clicks into alarm mode

(note that it's the phone that gets alarmed rather than I)

It plays the sound of a bird call that goes off every 5 minutes while I execute a series of stretches & limbering up-ish moves

Then at the proper moment

this Dirge For EnNightentment scares the cat & all the alien demons from my I'm-Mediate Invinci-Vincinity :taz::D

[video:youtube]

Uh, so what's in yer ears ?

d=halfnote

Well now, there IS a difference between "first thing" in the morning, and STAYING UP until 3am. I don't know ANYBODY who gets up at that hour. But then too, it HAS been many a moon since I STAYED UP that late! ;) AND TOO, cranked up the tunes loud at that time. :laugh:

White(long in the)fang

I started out with NOTHING...and I still have most of it left!

I don't know ANYBODY who gets up at that hour. White(long in the)fang

You do now, brother. I see 3 AM every day of my life, whether I want to or not, and 99% of the time, it's not because I stayed up . . .

"Monsters are real, and Ghosts are real too. They live inside us, and sometimes, they win." Stephen King

I'm pretty sure he was getting up 1st thing in the morning Fang...

I think it's great if it works for you Winston. I woke up about 3am last night but I refuse to get up that early to test out that writing with the wolf concept LOL! I learned long ago that when something keeps you from sleeping, you can stay in bed and meditate. Your body will still get the rest it needs. Getting up and writing material with headphones on is cool and keeps you from waking up the whole house! :bor:

Take care, Larryz

Bergman's take on the Hour of the Wolf, for which he titled his film - "The hour between night and dawn. The hour when most people die, when sleep is deepest, when nightmares are most real. It is the hour when the sleepless are haunted by their deepest fears, when ghost and demons are most powerful, the hour of the wolf is also the hour when most children are born."

I feel right at home . . .

Back on topic, here's a haunted-sounding tune that I've loved for decades. Call it Art-Rock, Chamber Music for Psychotics, whatever you like . . .

"Can hats favor fire?

Can a hat aspire to higher things?"

Bergman's take on the Hour of the Wolf, for which he titled his film - "The hour between night and dawn. The hour when most people die, when sleep is deepest, when nightmares are most real. It is the hour when the sleepless are haunted by their deepest fears, when ghost and demons are most powerful, the hour of the wolf is also the hour when most children are born."

I feel right at home . . .

Back on topic, here's a haunted-sounding tune that I've loved for decades. Call it Art-Rock, Chamber Music for Psychotics, whatever you like . . .

"Can hats favor fire?

Can a hat aspire to higher things?"

"The hour between night and dawn..." :idk

That must've been all the way back when the rapid turning of the Earth kept eveyone so spin-dizzy they were creating religions L & R & that rapid day/night/day/again thang allowed some folks to reach ages like 837...

Anywhat, I've heard that "Slappy Hat" track (as well as the unrelated Monty P trope)....the orchestral bits are prolly over my head in some ways but in places remind me of what George Martin did on "I'm Gonna Be A Walrus When I Grow Up' by Little Johnny Lennon.

d=halfnote

I don't know ANYBODY who gets up at that hour. White(long in the)fang

You do now, brother. I see 3 AM every day of my life, whether I want to or not, and 99% of the time, it's not because I stayed up . . .

That must be tiring. ALMOST as tiring as having everything you might post in this forum constantly taken out of context! I mean...whatever happened to critical thought? ;)

It should have been crystal clear obvious that when I stated, "I don't know ANYBODY who gets up at that hour." that I also meant ON PURPOSE! :rolleyes: Sure, I understand....

Week before last I too, awoke at that ungodly hour with some scary physical sensations that caused me to both drive myself to the ER, on one occasion, and call EMS the second time(two days later) and with which the ER doctors, content enough with only being able to tell me what the problem WASN'T, sent me home. My regular doc adjusted my BP meds and since then there've been no repeats.

Whitefang

@Whitefang - Damn, brother, sorry about the scare! I hope that doesn't happen again.

BTW, I didn't misconstrue the intent of your statement. You know the old line about how "It is better to light one candle than curse the darkness"? I choose to get up, make coffee, let the dogs out and start my day, in the dead of night, because if I'm awake, I might as well be doing something, instead of lying in bed, doing nothing but wondering why I'm awake. I get things done, before the morning paper arrives.

Back on track, here's a tune I know you'll know and appreciate, first thing on a Sun Day morning . . .

Worry not Winston. Sure, it's happened again, but knowing it's NOT caused by anything life threatening (so far as anyone knows) I simply sat still in my chair and soldiered through it until it passed.

And I do that too, and have been for some time, (since my wife came home and was in a home-set hospital bed until her end). You know, get out of bed because just lying in bed wide awake got uncomfortable and that's when I would( and still) get up and get a "cuppa" and spend some time here and on other forums until time to get started on Alicia's daily care routine.

Whitefang

A few weeks ago I got that new CD by The Claypool Lennon Delerium called South of Reality. Those guys made it to the cover of Guitar Player magazine, and I liked the description of the music after reading the magazine interview with Claypool and Lennon, so I figured I'd give it a listen. It's weird music, sort of like if John Lennon (Sean Lennon's famous father) during the Yellow Submarine/White Album era decided to make a solo album that combined progressive and psychedelic rock. But it's good weird music, and I haven't taken the CD out of my CD player since I got it. If you get a chance, give it a listen.
I rock; therefore, I am.

Yeah, I heard some of the CLD stuff recently (they showed up in an AllMusic email).

They've actually been around for a few yrs.

Haven't seen that cover---new ?

Here's a vid/tune abt a most unusual (but actual) early NASA scientist.

Here's a live version posted b/c Lennon plays a couple semi-interesting gtr solos.

[bTW, I guess the name Men W/Hats was already taken :rolleyes: ]

They also exhibit an odd, to me at least, interest in historical artifacts. :idk

d=halfnote

• 2 weeks later...

One of our dogs is more music-centric than the other. Tonight, while I was cleaning the kitchen. I had YouTube on, pumping some assorted Bill Laswell on. This song got her COMPLETE attention.

Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: âNinety percent of everything is crapâ

My FLMS- Murphy's Music in Irving, Tx

http://murphysmusictx.com/

One of our dogs is more music-centric than the other. Tonight, while I was cleaning the kitchen. I had YouTube on, pumping some assorted Bill Laswell on. This song got her COMPLETE attention...

I love stuff like that and I love dogs!

Ask yourself- What Would Ren and Stimpy Do?

~ Caevan James-Michael Miller-O'Shite ~

_ ___ _ Leprechaun, Esquire _ ___ _

• 2 weeks later...
One of our dogs is more music-centric than the other. Tonight, while I was cleaning the kitchen. I had YouTube on, pumping some assorted Bill Laswell on. This song got her COMPLETE attention.

Hmmmm, at what point did yer furry friend perk up her ears, Dan ?

Did they respond the same way at later hearings ?

-------------------------------------------------

They say McCartney had a special UHF tone patched into the exit groove of Sgt Pepper for his pet dog, Martha, & later in Wings there's a song, "Jet", that has the same name as one of his other pets.[video:youtube]

Then there's this.

If the lovely ballad lulls ya to sleep, dial up the 2:15 mark....

d=halfnote

• 1 month later...

I was recently helping someone find a tune from the 80s, so Ive been binging on New Wave videos from that era. Good times! :cool:

Just picked up the new one from Rival Sons, and am going to be putting it in my cars CD changer when I go to the grocery in a few minutes. :rawk:

Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: âNinety percent of everything is crapâ

Went and saw Tom Morello on the 8th , the opening band was The Last Internationale , so both are now on my phone as goto listening. Just good music all around.

Lok

1997 PRS CE24, 1981 Greco MSV 850, 1991 Greco V 900, 2 2006 Dean Inferno Flying Vs, 1987 Gibson Flying V, 2000s Jackson Dinky/Soloist, 1992 Gibson Les Paul Studio,

Forgot to mention, I picked up the new Chemical Brothers album....

Lots of electronic musicians would be proud to make that CD. The Chemical Brothers shouldnt be. Instead of leading the pack like they usually do, this sounded derivative. Dated. The only song I thought truly up to standards was Weve Got To Try.

Or, as my Mom put it, This album sounds old.

For diehards & completists only.

Not being familiar with The Chemical Brothers, I had to give a few listens on the YT.

Must say I wasn't much impressed. One would have to have been long into "Electronica" to know whether or not anything they did sounded "old" Not knowing the name of their newest album, nor how old your mom is for her to make that statement, well...

And there are those(like me) who think of other kinds of artists when the topic is ELECTRONIC music. Like, when I hear that said, I think of...

ISAO TOMITA...

KARLHEINZ STOCKHAUSEN:

[video:youtube]https://youtu.be/264HLeQIUv4

WENDY CARLOS( formerly Walter)---

And even JAN HAMMER!

[video:youtube]https://youtu.be/_Dn2AOhxj1k

Whitefang

I know those musicians, and Mom is 73.

CB are more the dance side of things, and hit in the mid-1990s early 2000s.. Their biggest hits were, as I recall:

(With one of the Gallagher brothers from Oasis providing Vox)

(FWIW, that is not a drum machine on that track.)

Really..Lutherman,

Kinda like what you'd hear on MUSIC CHOICE's "Soundscapes" channel, or on some "Stress Busters" CD.

Delightfully Narcoleptic! ;)

Whitefang