Music Player Network Home Guitar Player Magazine Keyboard Magazine Bass Player Magazine EQ Magazine
Topic Options
#2980036 - 03/13/19 07:43 PM Scientists discover noise cancellation technology
ElmerJFudd Online   content
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: USA, greater NY area

KC Island
#2980161 - 03/14/19 07:11 PM Re: Scientists discover noise cancellation technology [Re: ElmerJFudd]
GRollins Offline
Platinum Member

I saw that. I thought it was very interesting, but there are a couple of points that I don't understand:

--If you look at the pictures closely, it appears that the internal structure is a helix. For the life of me, I can't understand how that would "reflect" the sound back to its origin.

--Okay, assuming that it does as they say (and I'm not saying that they're lying or anything, just that I don't understand how it works), then won't the sound just rebound once it reaches the far end of the tube? If you follow this thought to its logical conclusion, you find that you've created a "sonic laser," which I find a very intriguing concept, indeed.

--Some of the guessing that I'm making about how the thing works leaves me thinking that its a tuned system, i.e. it won't work on a broad spectrum sound like noise. Note that I could be off base on this, but if I'm right it's going to limit the applications.

I tried to look at the original paper, but it's paywalled. At that point, I stopped. If anyone happens to have a subscription, I would be interested in more information.

Grey

#2980175 - 03/14/19 09:55 PM Re: Scientists discover noise cancellation technology [Re: GRollins]
MathOfInsects Online   content
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: California
I read this last night and had questions myself. It seems that this would reduce sound at a fixed location relative to the source/tube, but then send it back out to be received elsewhere, and leave any other waves that are not in line with the tube to do their usual thing. So I could see it keeping my ears from receiving those air pressure changes from that source, but I can't see how it would reduce the overall level of ambient sound available for me to hear....?

#2980178 - 03/14/19 10:58 PM Re: Scientists discover noise cancellation technology [Re: MathOfInsects]
hardware Offline
Platinum Member

Loc: Nevada
BU always seems to have great patents for audio.
20 years ago using Matrox and ATI AGP 8X we were loving the Reverb created that used the GPU.
Out of nowhere the BETA Tests ended because NVidia bought the patent.
CUDA technology vanished.
Years later the idea came up again but by that time Scope DSP Cards were available that had great DSP FX.
Then PowerCore by TC and finally UAD jumped in with both feet.

I can see these MetaMaterial 3D printed rings being pounced on and used for many silencing projects.
I’d love to see these in powered monitors, maybe used for crossovers, etc.

Pretty awesome technology.

#2980272 - 03/15/19 03:35 PM Re: Scientists discover noise cancellation technology [Re: hardware]
El Lobo Offline
Platinum Member

The brief article quotes them as saying "Our silencer’s performance is a narrow band but we are working on the wider-band design along with a tunable model, which may open up new possibilities.” I don't know what that means, but it does sound like, as GRollins said above, that it won't work on a broad spectrum sound like noise. I guess that's what they mean by a wider-band design, that it would block more frequencies than the tone in the demonstration. But maybe that's not what they mean. I'm not an acoustic engineer, I just want to play on one KC.

#2980278 - 03/15/19 04:04 PM Re: Scientists discover noise cancellation technology [Re: El Lobo]
GRollins Offline
Platinum Member

Originally Posted By: El Lobo
The brief article quotes them as saying "Our silencer’s performance is a narrow band but we are working on the wider-band design along with a tunable model, which may open up new possibilities.” I don't know what that means, but it does sound like, as GRollins said above, that it won't work on a broad spectrum sound like noise. I guess that's what they mean by a wider-band design, that it would block more frequencies than the tone in the demonstration. But maybe that's not what they mean. I'm not an acoustic engineer, I just want to play on one KC.

Thanks, I missed that part. So it's confirmed. I was just working from the pictures and trying to work it out in my head.

I can see this being of use for, say, an HVAC system where you're dealing with fan noise with a known spectrum, but in the wild...I dunno how useful it will be. Given that I still don't understand the principle behind the thing, I'm certainly open to being wrong. I'd love something that would tame the racket when my kids start bickering.

Grey

#2980286 - 03/15/19 05:10 PM Re: Scientists discover noise cancellation technology [Re: GRollins]
PianoMan51 Online   content
Platinum Member

Loc: Cabin In The Woods
How about in a ported cabinet where you want to somewhat attenuate a predominate bass frequency?

Moderator:  Dave Bryce, Stephen Fortner