Music Player Network Home Guitar Player Magazine Keyboard Magazine Bass Player Magazine EQ Magazine
Topic Options
#2980157 - 03/14/19 05:32 PM Any recommended DirectX Plug-in FX?
J. Dan Offline
Bannination Free Since '08
10k Club

Loc: St. Louis, MO
I have pretty old DAW software that was cheap even when I got it - Magix Audio Studio 7. When we record the studio recordings, we use the singer's rig that is loaded with all the plug-ins and high quality interface, etc that we need.

But after practice, I usually record 18 tracks from our digital mixer and fly the wav file in to mix down to an mp3 so the band can review.

Occasionally it would be nice to have some features a little bit better than what came with the software, but I don't need anything top notch. The supplied EQ is just fine, Compression could be better but I manage to do what I need. Reverb is probably the worst. It sometimes just generates artifacts that aren't desirable and it is not very adjustable. If I want delay, it's either/or for a track with the reverb, unless I do it destructively.

It only supports DirectX plug-ins. Anything free or cheap that would be recommended? Reverb/Delay would be top priority, followed by maybe some better dynamics processing. Chorus would be nice sometimes but not as important. Pitch correction could be nice at times, but since this is mainly just for us, it's not bad to hear if you were off during practice.

Or...would I be better off getting newer software that comes bundled with better effects? I like the look and layout of what I have, and it works, so I'm more leary of scrapping it for something new. My computer is not exactly the latest.... Core2 Duo E6750 @2.66GHz, 2gig RAM, Win7 Home Premium.

Acoustic/Electric stringed instruments ranging from 4 to 230 strings, hammered, picked, fingered, slapped, and plucked. Analog and Digital Electronic instruments, reeds, and throat/mouth.

KC Island
#2980223 - 03/15/19 08:51 AM Re: Any recommended DirectX Plug-in FX? [Re: J. Dan]
J. Dan Offline
Bannination Free Since '08
10k Club

Loc: St. Louis, MO
so....no?

FWIW, found this short Gearslutz discussion:

CLONK

Still seeing stuff available, but much of it not from sources I'm familiar with.

I guess if something is free, there's no harm in just trying it. I can always remove it.

Acoustic/Electric stringed instruments ranging from 4 to 230 strings, hammered, picked, fingered, slapped, and plucked. Analog and Digital Electronic instruments, reeds, and throat/mouth.

#2980243 - 03/15/19 11:56 AM Re: Any recommended DirectX Plug-in FX? [Re: J. Dan]
Bill Heins Offline
Gold Member

Hail Vibrania!

Moderator:  Dave Bryce, Stephen Fortner