Music Player Network Home Guitar Player Magazine Keyboard Magazine Bass Player Magazine EQ Magazine
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#2980065 - 03/14/19 07:01 AM Yes, Live At The Apollo
nursers Offline
10k Club

Loc: Australia
I did do a google search and I don't believe this has been shown before.

Edited by nursers (03/14/19 07:30 AM)

KC Island
#2980070 - 03/14/19 07:35 AM Re: Yes, Live At The Apollo [Re: nursers]
StickMan393 Offline

I can't get past the fake audience noise. It doesn't bother some, but for me, it's annoying as heck.

Wakeman is fun to watch, as ever.

#2980072 - 03/14/19 07:50 AM Re: Yes, Live At The Apollo [Re: StickMan393]
marczellm Offline
Gold Member

Loc: Budapest, Hungary
How do you know it's fake?
Gear: NS2 + JUNO-G

#2980073 - 03/14/19 08:01 AM Re: Yes, Live At The Apollo [Re: marczellm]
ABECK Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Framingham,MA,UNITED STATES
great show. Wakeman's minis sound amazing. Though..with the belly, the cape and the fairly limited motion, he comes off looking like a Simpsons character. Rabin's guitar tone and playing are also amazing.

Oh yeah, the audience noise is absolutely fake.

#2980081 - 03/14/19 08:31 AM Re: Yes, Live At The Apollo [Re: ABECK]
JB Sherry Offline

Loc: Saugerties, NY
That's cool, they got Tony Levin to play drums! wink

#2980084 - 03/14/19 08:43 AM Re: Yes, Live At The Apollo [Re: JB Sherry]
AnotherScott Offline
10k Club

I think this rhythm section beats the one in Howe's Yes.

#2980105 - 03/14/19 11:11 AM Re: Yes, Live At The Apollo [Re: AnotherScott]
richforman Offline
Platinum Member

Loc: Long Island, NY
I have this DVD but just have never gotten around to watching it yet! Have seen ARW live three times I think, really dig them, far prefer them to the Steve Howe version, I mean it is just not the same without Jon (who looks and sounds fantastic); Geoff Downes is just no Rick Wakeman; and of course you'll miss Steve Howe but what Trevor Rabin does is really modern and energetic. Too bad they've broken up for now, earlier there was talk of an album forthcoming from them and more US shows this year but it seems like it's kind of fallen apart and been put on the back burner behind Jon's solo tour.

#2980106 - 03/14/19 11:17 AM Re: Yes, Live At The Apollo [Re: richforman]
marino Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Rome, Italy
Didn't we have a thread for this already?
Btw, I think that ARW is an excellent version of Yes, better than the 'others' in almost every way. The Apollo concert is awesome, but the omnipresent fake applause is nerve-wracking; it almost ruins the whole experience.

#2980111 - 03/14/19 12:11 PM Re: Yes, Live At The Apollo [Re: marino]
SeaGtGruff Offline

Loc: South Carolina
I don’t know if there’s a thread about this video, but I believe there was a thread where people were talking about going to see them during that tour.

Coincidentally, I just recorded this very video two weeks ago on the AXS cable channel, and have been watching it on and off. The audience is definitely real— and the people in it are definitely really old! grin I’m hoping to eventually find time to sit down and watch the whole thing uninterrupted.

If you get AXS on your cable service, this month they’re showing concerts every Sunday night. (Yes, I know they show concerts all the time, but they’e advertising this Sunday night thing as a thing.) The first Sunday was Yes, last Sunday was Paul McCartney, and this coming Sunday will be ELP.

#2980127 - 03/14/19 01:44 PM Re: Yes, Live At The Apollo [Re: SeaGtGruff]
stoken6 Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

It's interesting - I recognise the bass player (Lee Pomeroy) from his gig in Mike Stevens' band. Mike is the MD for Take That (a British boyband hugely well-known in the UK, and unknown in the US). I read an interview with Lee at the time where he said that prog was his first love - so he must have loved that ARW gig.

Cheers, Mike.

#2980128 - 03/14/19 01:46 PM Re: Yes, Live At The Apollo [Re: stoken6]
richforman Offline
Platinum Member

Loc: Long Island, NY
He was also in Jeff Lynne's touring ELO the last few years and I think another huge recent credit I can't think of offhand.

#2980139 - 03/14/19 03:43 PM Re: Yes, Live At The Apollo [Re: richforman]
CowboyNQ Offline
Platinum Member

Loc: Adelaide, Australia
Couldn't say whether or not the crowd noise is genuine, but it's too high in the mix for my taste and present in the strangest spots.

The dial goes from "hear a pin drop" to "football crowd" mid-song with annoying regularity.

The music's great though. Thanks for sharing David!

#2980153 - 03/14/19 04:58 PM Re: Yes, Live At The Apollo [Re: CowboyNQ]
nursers Offline
10k Club

Loc: Australia
Most welcome! Funny thing is I didn't notice the audience noise but I wasn't listening through headphones which I imagine would have made it stand out more.

Agree on Simpson-ish look of the cape now but I still want one grin

#2980165 - 03/14/19 07:39 PM Re: Yes, Live At The Apollo [Re: richforman]
wjwilcox Offline
Gold Member

Loc: St. Louis, Missouri
Originally Posted By: richforman
He was also in Jeff Lynne's touring ELO the last few years and I think another huge recent credit I can't think of offhand.

Steve Hackett, if memory serves.

#2980167 - 03/14/19 08:32 PM Re: Yes, Live At The Apollo [Re: wjwilcox]
timwat Online   content
Quite wealthy...spiritually
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Concord,CA,UNITED STATES
I'll just say that as a US native, when I read "Yes, Live at the Apollo" I was curious if there would be ANY applause...

#2980168 - 03/14/19 08:45 PM Re: Yes, Live At The Apollo [Re: marczellm]
MotiDave Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: San Diego, CA USA
Originally Posted By: marczellm
How do you know it's fake?

You can spot it when they cheer the keytar.

#2980169 - 03/14/19 08:46 PM Re: Yes, Live At The Apollo [Re: timwat]
MotiDave Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: San Diego, CA USA
Originally Posted By: timwat
I'll just say that as a US native, when I read "Yes, Live at the Apollo" I was curious if there would be ANY applause...

I wasn’t about to tell that joke in this joint ... smile

#2980181 - 03/15/19 12:45 AM Re: Yes, Live At The Apollo [Re: MotiDave]
SeaGtGruff Offline

Correction: This coming Sunday night on AXS is Todd Rundgren’s Utopia. For those who are interested, the ELP 40th anniversary concert is earlier in the day, at 4:30 PM EDT I believe.

I was very impressed by the bassist and drummer in the Yes concert— and Trevor Rabin, of course. I thought they did a great job of playing the parts originally written/played by Chris Squire, Bill Bruford, and Steve Howe. And I got a kick out of seeing Rick with those pieces of paper taped to his keyboards— the full set list (I think) on at least one keyboard, but then on other keyboards (such as the Minimoogs) it was just one or two song names— apparently with (I think) information about which registrations or performances to use for each song. Who needs an iPad with a set list/patch setup app when you have Old School tools? smile

#2980191 - 03/15/19 03:47 AM Re: Yes, Live At The Apollo [Re: MotiDave]
samuelblupowitz Offline

Loc: Ithaca, NY
Originally Posted By: MotiDave

I wasn’t about to tell that joke in this joint ... smile

This week on Soul Train...

#2980193 - 03/15/19 03:59 AM Re: Yes, Live At The Apollo [Re: richforman]
stoken6 Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Originally Posted By: richforman

He did the Queen's Diamond Jubilee concert in 2012 (as part of Mike Stevens' band). Steve Hackett also...

Cheers, Mike.

#2980209 - 03/15/19 07:14 AM Re: Yes, Live At The Apollo [Re: SeaGtGruff]
ABECK Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Framingham,MA,UNITED STATES
Originally Posted By: SeaGtGruff
And I got a kick out of seeing Rick with those pieces of paper taped to his keyboards— the full set list (I think) on at least one keyboard,

I loved how his keyboard zone was just this massive, spread-out expanse of space. Not a right angle to be found. He seemed to meander about, at his leisure throughout the space.

#2980294 - 03/15/19 07:07 PM Re: Yes, Live At The Apollo [Re: ABECK]
SeaGtGruff Offline

It almost looked symmetrical, like the keyboards on the right were the same as the ones on the left— although that may have been because of the Minimoogs. I’m pretty sure one of the bottom keyboards was a Montage— that Super Knob is hard to miss.

#2980298 - 03/15/19 07:28 PM Re: Yes, Live At The Apollo [Re: SeaGtGruff]
bennyray Offline
Platinum Member

Originally Posted By: SeaGtGruff
It almost looked symmetrical, like the keyboards on the right were the same as the ones on the left— although that may have been because of the Minimoogs. I’m pretty sure one of the bottom keyboards was a Montage— that Super Knob is hard to miss.

Looks like a Montage 76 key

https://www.rwcc.com/equipment.asp

#2980314 - 03/16/19 04:33 AM Re: Yes, Live At The Apollo [Re: bennyray]
GRollins Offline
Platinum Member

I've never been comfortable with the way Trevor Rabin handles the classic older Yes material. He's clearly an accomplished guitarist, but his style just doesn't work for me when he's playing Steve Howe licks.

Schindleria Praematurus was a grave disappointment. Though it was conceived as a bass solo, Lee Pomeroy barely sketched out the eight harmonic notes that define the piece. He smiled a lot, though.

I was glad to hear Jon Anderson's voice sounding strong, but I noticed that he tended to shorten the duration of high notes. Given that age tends to limit the higher reaches of our voices (I know I'm having trouble with mine) I was glad he could reach them at all.

Rick was...Rick. And that's a good thing. I confess, however, that I could have done with a little less scowling and the guy could definitely stand to lose a few (dozen) pounds. The march through the audience with Rabin seemed rather perfunctory. Neither seemed to be enjoying themselves.

This all sounds rather tilted towards the negative, but I have to say that the music was tight and sounded good, though I definitely missed Steve Howe's touch. I suppose a lot of peoples' reactions will depend on what their idea of the "true" Yes lineup is. If someone started with Yes ca. 90125 or so, I'm sure this will sound very good, indeed. To me, Yes is Anderson, Squire (RIP, buddy), Howe, Bruford (preferred) or White, and Wakeman. All those other lads were just placeholders.

Grey

#2980360 - 03/16/19 12:29 PM Re: Yes, Live At The Apollo [Re: GRollins]
Pa Gherkin Offline
Gold Member

Watched the whole thing last night. Great performances by all. Anderson's unique voice has held up amazingly well. All vocal harmonies were perfect although that can be accomplished in post production. Maybe,maybe not. Wakeman nailed it and made it look effortless as usual. Since I've always found Howe's sound and approach rather brittle I actually preferred Rabin's approach and no,I didn't first get on board with Yes with 90125. Started with The Yes Album in '71 and backtracked to Yes and Time and a Word. Then Fragile,etc. I found the rhythm section at the Apollo stellar. Who knew Rob Halford could play drums like that? Wearing glasses even.

But I still miss Tony Kaye,dammit! Interestingly,no Hammond or dedicated clonewheels onstage. Kronos did ok though but no Kaye giant organ sound. Also,not going to fault anyone for getting fat,bald,gray or any other consequence of age. I got a kick out of seeing Wakeman and Anderson standing right next to each other when taking their bows. The juxtaposition in size was striking. All in all a great show.

#2980383 - 03/16/19 03:07 PM Re: Yes, Live At The Apollo [Re: Pa Gherkin]
Iconoclast Offline
Gold Member

Loc: Phoenix, Arizona
Now I can actually hear the keyboards!

When I saw ARW live you couldn't hardly hear a note of Rick's playing through most of the show.

Forte7, Nord Stage 3, XK3c, OB-6, Arturia Collection, Mainstage, MotionSound KBR3D. A bunch of MusicMan Guitars, Line6 stuff

#2980384 - 03/16/19 03:13 PM Re: Yes, Live At The Apollo [Re: Iconoclast]
Jazz+ Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Live at the Apollo is a Blues album by B.B. King and the Phillip Morris "Super Band" recorded at the famous Apollo Theater in Harlem, New York. It was awarded the 1992 Grammy Award for Best Traditional Blues Album

#2980385 - 03/16/19 03:14 PM Re: Yes, Live At The Apollo [Re: Jazz+]
Jazz+ Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Live at the Apollo is a live album by James Brown and the Famous Flames, recorded at the Apollo Theater in Harlem and released in 1963.

#2980451 - 03/17/19 10:42 AM Re: Yes, Live At The Apollo [Re: Jazz+]
Iconoclast Offline
Gold Member

Loc: Phoenix, Arizona
Thanks for sharing this. I hadn't seen it yet. It's a fantastic performance.

Forte7, Nord Stage 3, XK3c, OB-6, Arturia Collection, Mainstage, MotionSound KBR3D. A bunch of MusicMan Guitars, Line6 stuff

#2980566 - 03/18/19 09:26 AM Re: Yes, Live At The Apollo [Re: timwat]
Rustar Offline

Loc: Atlanta, Georgia

Remember the Buddy Holly movie with Gary Busey?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Dave Bryce, Stephen Fortner